PDA

View Full Version : Don't Overreact to Things Thread


kermittheefrog
05-09-2004, 07:31 PM
The idea behind this thread is to not overreact to one game or one series or even one week but to take a long term perspective on things because a baseball season is a marathon. So a few thoughts on the Sox and responses to reactionary claims made on this board:

-Getting swept by the Jays doesn't make us a team doomed to second or thirds place just as being in first place doesn't mean we'll stay there. This is a team with specific strengths and weaknesses. And one that has enough weaknesses that there will be, without a doubt, some rough stretches to go along with the good ones. Nothing we've seen yet this year gives me the impression this team is any better or any worse than what most people expected, a .500 ballclub. In particular our largest weaknesses appear to be an overly right handed lineup and a lack of pitching depth both in the rotation and the bullpen.
-Willie Harris isn't necessarily an answer at second base because he has had a recent hot streak.
-Billy Koch isn't a good closer because he gets saves, he is a risky pitcher to put in a game because of the difficulty he has retiring opposing batters.
-Jeremy Reed isn't ready for the majors because Aaron Rowand is struggling. Reed isn't hitting for any power right now in Charlotte, it would be nice to see him do that a little bit before we give him a major league job. Although I am very excited about having him in the lineup before the end of the season. Maybe even before the All-Star break.
-Aaron Rowand isn't a bad player because Sox management hasn't figured out he shouldn't be in the lineup against right handed pitching.
-Our offense doesn't suck because of it's ineptness against the Blue Jays, up until that series it was doing well.

fed ex 4 pasqua
05-09-2004, 07:37 PM
[-Our offense doesn't suck because of it's ineptness against the Blue Jays, up until that series it was doing well. [/B]

RISP avg. all week has been both sucking and blowing at the same time.

ma_deuce
05-09-2004, 07:52 PM
We got swept. We got swept by a team with a 10-18 record (now, its 13-18). We got swept by a team with a 10-18 record and a 3-9 record at home (not, its 6-9). We got swept by a team with a 10-18 record and a 3-9 record at home with one of the worst pitching staffs in the league. We got swept by a team with a 10-18 record and a 3-9 record at home with one of the worst pitching staffs in the league because our hitters couldn't connect. Now, how the heck am I supposed to react to this?

:whiner:

Deuce

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Nothing we've seen yet this year gives me the impression this team is any better or any worse than what most people expected, a .500 ballclub

I think this team is better than a .500 ballclub, definitely. Im expecting much better than that, especially with the emergence of Show.

Jeremy Reed isn't ready for the majors because Aaron Rowand is struggling. Reed isn't hitting for any power right now in Charlotte, it would be nice to see him do that a little bit before we give him a major league job. Although I am very excited about having him in the lineup before the end of the season. Maybe even before the All-Star break

I think it's almost becoming a necessity we see him in the bigs. Im not to concerned about the power numbers, those will come. All I know is that he is getting on base. I am not in favor of calling him up tonight, but I say look at him for 2-3 more weeks and evaluate June 1st. If Aaron is still struggling, and Reed is hitting at least .315, I think we got to give him the call.

ChiSox7
05-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

-Our offense doesn't suck because of it's ineptness against the Blue Jays, up until that series it was doing well.

Haha. THats the funniest thing I've ever read on the boards. Offense doing well? Your serious? Maybe it was TIC.

Starting at TB away:

0,4,5,8,3,4,3,1,6,7,9,6,4,6,3,5,3,6,4,2,2

Now, unless my math is wrong, that is 7 out of 21 above 5 runs. Not good compared to ANYBODY in our division.

Now my math could be poor, but that is 4.3 runs per game against some of the WORST staffs in the league. Only the Yanks was decent, and even still they sucked. Torontos pitcher (sub Halladay) aren't good. Nor TB, especially not Cleveland or Baltimore.

Secondly, most of those runs came against these teams bullpens in very lucky fashions.Cleveland and Torontos bullpens rank among 1st and 3rd worst in the league. awful.

Bottom line is our offense sucks, and if they don't pick it up before July like last year, we'll be making excuses saying 'Oh, but we're close. No need to panic." that is until we're 6 games out. And I can gaurentee that Minny won't lose 14 of 16 again this year.

Our offense has NOT played well save for 6 or 7 games this season. They need to pick it up.

kermittheefrog
05-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by ma_deuce
We got swept. We got swept by a team with a 10-18 record (now, its 13-18). We got swept by a team with a 10-18 record and a 3-9 record at home (not, its 6-9). We got swept by a team with a 10-18 record and a 3-9 record at home with one of the worst pitching staffs in the league. We got swept by a team with a 10-18 record and a 3-9 record at home with one of the worst pitching staffs in the league because our hitters couldn't connect. Now, how the heck am I supposed to react to this?

:whiner:

Deuce

We got swept by a team that won as many games as we did last year, brought most of that team back and added a good starter in Miguel Batista. Wow, sounds different now huh?

soltrain21
05-09-2004, 08:39 PM
We don't need power numbers from Reed, we need him on base so our power hitters can knock him in. We need some variety in our lineup. Right now, we do not have that.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Right now the sum of the team is better then the individual player numbers (which is something stats can't measure...) however that is very hard to keep doing for an entire season. The last Sox team to pull it off was in 1990 and that was because the pitching was so good.

Can this staff match the 1990 staff, particularly the bullpen? I don't think so.

My computer was down the ten days before opening day so I never had a chance to give my pre season prediction but I figured 84 wins. That dovetails nicely with the average record of the team for the past six seasons, 83-79.

You can't get much more mediocre.

Lip

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
We don't need power numbers from Reed, we need him on base so our power hitters can knock him in. We need some variety in our lineup. Right now, we do not have that.

Agreed.

It's NO coninsidence that the Sox are prone to long slumps...as are power hitters. Guys like Reed go 0-9...that is their slump.

Guys like Konerko (et al). go 3-40.

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Right now the sum of the team is better then the individual player numbers (which is something stats can't measure...) however that is very hard to keep doing for an entire season. The last Sox team to pull it off was in 1990 and that was because the pitching was so good.

Can this staff match the 1990 staff, particularly the bullpen? I don't think so.

My computer was down the ten days before opening day so I never had a chance to give my pre season prediction but I figured 84 wins. That dovetails nicely with the average record of the team for the past six seasons, 83-79.

You can't get much more mediocre.

Lip

Are you figuring in KW's midseason acquisitions...which you know will happen...

Then again...I guess you can't figure those in until you see the players...

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Are you figuring in KW's midseason acquisitions...which you know will happen...

Then again...I guess you can't figure those in until you see the players...

That's our hope for the season. I certainly hope KW makes the right moves this summer because we're only two players away from really contending. Thank god for the good start in April. We have to just stay right there with Minnesota (at the very least) and then with a few acquisitions and our trademark hot second half we can blow by them. I would be a lot happier to just crush them now, but there is hope on the horizon with trades. I agree they will happen.

Good point about the power hitters and Reed-type hitters earlier. I hope this is the last season I have to go through this not-hitting-for-weeks crap with several guys.