PDA

View Full Version : May offensive slump


fed ex 4 pasqua
05-09-2004, 06:30 PM
last year this led to Magglio proclaiming that we "sucked" by the end of may. is this deja vu all over again?

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 06:58 PM
On May 31st 2003, we were 6 games out of first at 25-29. To attain that record from where we are now, we'd have to go 8-16 over the next 24 games, something which is unlikely. Are we in a slump? Yes, but I think Ozzie is going to be able to make the players forget about this series. I'd like to see us take 2 of 3 from Baltimore heading into the Twins series.

voodoochile
05-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by fed ex 4 pasqua
last year this led to Magglio proclaiming that we "sucked" by the end of may. is this deja vu all over again?

Time will tell, but I think the Sox just need to find some consistency at the top of the lineup. I don't know if Harris is the answer as he rarely walks, so he has to hit .320 to make it worthwhile to have him there. Can that happen? I don't think so.

Lee needs to start going the other way and I wouldn't mind benching Rowand entirely with Harris in CF.

Either way, Welcome Aboard! :D:

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
On May 31st 2003, we were 6 games out of first at 25-29. To attain that record from where we are now, we'd have to go 8-16 over the next 24 games, something which is unlikely. Are we in a slump? Yes, but I think Ozzie is going to be able to make the players forget about this series. I'd like to see us take 2 of 3 from Baltimore heading into the Twins series.

That the Twins lost makes the sweep much less significant and hurtful. Just win 4 of the next 6. Hopefully 3 of the 4 come against the Twins. I wouldn't care if we lost the series to Baltimore then sweeped the Twinkies. Of course I'd rather win both.

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Time will tell, but I think the Sox just need to find some consistency at the top of the lineup. I don't know if Harris is the answer as he rarely walks, so he has to hit .320 to make it worthwhile to have him there. Can that happen? I don't think so.

Lee needs to start going the other way and I wouldn't mind benching Rowand entirely with Harris in CF.

Either way, Welcome Aboard! :D:

I think Harris is doing just fine. He is hitting .300. He doesn't walk, but his OBP is up near .350 now. He is starting to take more pitches recently, however. Plus, he started the season slowly. Granted, he is currently pretty hot, but he should be around .350 OBP at the end of the season.

IMO, We need to worry about the #2 hole, b/c Jose isn't going to cut it. Reed is the perfect solution. Actually, CLee dominates in the 2 hole, so I would stick him there, and bat Reed 6th or 7th for a while.

fed ex 4 pasqua
05-09-2004, 07:13 PM
what about carlos in the two spot? wasn't his average about thirty points higher ther last year? admittedly, this could be a stretch.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by fed ex 4 pasqua
what about carlos in the two spot? wasn't his average about thirty points higher ther last year? admittedly, this could be a stretch.

We've talked about this in the past. Hitting #2 in the Sox line up has to be one of the easiest jobs in baseball for a dead-red fastball hitter like Carlos Lee. That's because Frank Thomas usually bats #3 and pitchers need to give themselves as much room as possible with the prior hitter so they can pitch Thomas safely. Valentin was a killer batting #2 and even Mike Caruso managed to hit .300 watching all those fastballs zip by.

Of course Frank isn't hitting #3 anymore and the new #3 Magglio (surprise -- another fastball hitter) is in a slump of his own. I guess it's worth trying Lee in the #2 hole, but Ozzie can forget all his promised top-of-the-order pyrotechnics with El Caballo on the basepaths.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

:redneck

HomeFish
05-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
On May 31st 2003, we were 6 games out of first at 25-29. To attain that record from where we are now, we'd have to go 8-16 over the next 24 games, something which is unlikely.

Not necessarily.

We have 3 games against Baltimore, 7 games against Minnesota (4 on carpet), 3 against Texas, and 3 against Anaheim.

That's 16 games right there against very good teams.

Win1ForMe
05-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Time will tell, but I think the Sox just need to find some consistency at the top of the lineup. I don't know if Harris is the answer as he rarely walks, so he has to hit .320 to make it worthwhile to have him there. Can that happen? I don't think so.

Vodoo my friend, are you sure we're watching the same games? Consistency at the top of the lineup? The way I see it, Harris and Uribe have been doing their jobs very well.

Maggs, Frank, Carlos, Konerko, and Crede have not played up to their standards so far. Konerko was horrid in this series. Crede hitting at .239 (6 BB, 24 K's), Carlos at .250, Konerko at .240, Maggs at .280, and Frank at .273 have all gotten off to slow starts. When you factor in the lack of clutch hitting, you can clearly see where the lack of production comes from.

voodoochile
05-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Vodoo my friend, are you sure we're watching the same games? Consistency at the top of the lineup? The way I see it, Harris and Uribe have been doing their jobs very well.

Maggs, Frank, Carlos, Konerko, and Crede have not played up to their standards so far. Konerko was horrid in this series. Crede hitting at .239 (6 BB, 24 K's), Carlos at .250, Konerko at .240, Maggs at .280, and Frank at .273 have all gotten off to slow starts. When you factor in the lack of clutch hitting, you can clearly see where the lack of production comes from.

Well, I disagree about Frank. He just isn't getting much to hit, but is seeing the ball very well and has recently started to turn it on. I think he is going to have a monster year.

I want nothing more than for all of the Sox players to perform well. I don't know if Harris can do that or not for extended periods of time. He is showing signs of improvement, but even if that is true and he is the answer in the leadoff slot, the Sox would still be better off moving him to CF, benching Rowand and putting Jose back at SS, IMO.

Mickster
05-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I want nothing more than for all of the Sox players to perform well. I don't know if Harris can do that or not for extended periods of time. He is showing signs of improvement, but even if that is true and he is the answer in the leadoff slot, the Sox would still be better off moving him to CF, benching Rowand and putting Jose back at SS, IMO.

Agree. Willie at CF, Jose at SS and Uribe at 2nd would have a better impact both defensively and offensively provided that Ozzie juggled the lineup to bat Jose #8 with Olivo #9. Keep Jose away from the top of the lineup!

pudge
05-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
On May 31st 2003, we were 6 games out of first at 25-29. To attain that record from where we are now, we'd have to go 8-16 over the next 24 games, something which is unlikely.

It's so unlikely that we did precisely that in May of 2002. (With much the same lineup, mind you.)

MRKARNO
05-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by pudge
It's so unlikely that we did precisely that in May of 2002. (With much the same lineup, mind you.)

Well to that I would say:

A. I think our starting staff is a good deal better as a whole now as compared to then.

B. It was very unlikely and it's not going to happen a second time!

rdivaldi
05-11-2004, 10:52 AM
There must be something about May that drags our team down. If I'm not mistaken we were awful in May duing our good run in 2000 as well.

Hangar18
05-11-2004, 11:51 AM
I like the suggestions here Carlos Lee batting 2nd .......
And bringing up Jeremy Reed. Its about thyme we got him here.

Hangar18
05-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
There must be something about May that drags our team down. If I'm not mistaken we were awful in May duing our good run in 2000 as well.

Since May of 2000, the WHITE SOX have been scheduled to play the A's and Mariners on the West Coast (teams with winning records also mind you) TWICE during the season, while only facing BOTH teams once here. Makes for a harder schedule ......