PDA

View Full Version : Why did Diaz pitch in relief today at Charlotte?

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 05:08 PM
http://milb.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=minorbaseball&page=milb-intl/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=12724

He loaded the bases in .2 IP of relief with one K but Courtney Duncan bailed him out, but why was he pitching in relief?

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 05:15 PM
That's a good question-I can't think of any possible reason.

I am just looking at Reeds .666 OBP for the day. Yes Aaron, he took 3 walks today. Have you taken 3 this year? Seriously?

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

I am just looking at Reeds .666 OBP for the day. Yes Aaron, he took 3 walks today. Have you taken 3 this year? Seriously?

Time to Bring up Reed and have him hit 2 and drop the 2 hitter into the 5-7 spot. The way harris is hitting and the Way Reed gets on base could cause a lot of trouble for any pitcher before the big boppers

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

wow! is tomorrow too early to call him up?

CWSGuy406
05-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Rowand and _____ (probably Burke) can wave to Reed and Diaz as they pass each other, the first two going to Charlotte, the next two going to Chicago.

I want to see Diaz. I've heard rave reviews and I'm ready! Bring on the phenom, lol!

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Hurling toward the rotation: Manager Ozzie Guillen said a decision about the fifth starter will be made on Monday or Tuesday. Felix Diaz is the odds-on favorite, with the right-hander posting a 5-0 record, 1.86 ERA and 31 strikeouts and four walks in 38 2/3 innings for Triple-A Charlotte.

Diaz threw a side session Saturday and could be held back from his start Monday in order to pitch in the upcoming Baltimore series at U.S. Cellular Field. The fifth starter's spot comes up Saturday against Minnesota, but the South Siders could juggle their rotation to have veteran hurlers facing the Twins.

"I have no reservations on who pitches," Cooper said of the fifth starter facing Minnesota. "It's not something where, 'Oh, we have to do this or we have to do that.'"

Arnie Munoz was another possibility mentioned by Guillen. The converted reliever improved to 5-0 for Double-A Birmingham on Saturday, with a 1.23 ERA. The left-hander has 35 strikeouts and nine walks over 36 2/3 innings, allowing a mere 18 hits. He would be on schedule to start Thursday afternoon's game against the Orioles.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040509&content_id=739769&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

That explains it and it might be a good decision. Probably better to have Diaz than Muņoz so that we have 3 righties instead of 3 lefties, but I guess it's whoever does the better job....

beckett21
05-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040509&content_id=739769&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

That explains it and it might be a good decision. Probably better to have Diaz than Muņoz so that we have 3 righties instead of 3 lefties, but I guess it's whoever does the better job....

Not arguing against either, Diaz is especially intriguing.

But what about Rauch? I thought he was doing OK, though admittedly I have very little knowledge about his performance this year. Shouldn't he be getting a shot at this too?

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Not arguing against either, Diaz is especially intriguing.

But what about Rauch? I thought he was doing OK, though admittedly I have very little knowledge about his performance this year. Shouldn't he be getting a shot at this too?

For some weird reason which I don't know, they decided to move him temporarily to the bullpen. Rauch should be getting a shot, but Diaz clearly has been the better of the two.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Time to Bring up Reed and have him hit 2 and drop the 2 hitter into the 5-7 spot. The way harris is hitting and the Way Reed gets on base could cause a lot of trouble for any pitcher before the big boppers

I'm in favor of batting Reed 7th 8th or 9th when he comes up. Don't put so much pressure on him. If he tears it up right away then I'd back down, but odds are he won't.

Also, when did we get Courtney Duncan?

Rex Hudler
05-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I'm in favor of batting Reed 7th 8th or 9th when he comes up. Don't put so much pressure on him. If he tears it up right away then I'd back down, but odds are he won't.

Also, when did we get Courtney Duncan?

Duncan was acquired in the offseason as a minor league free agent.

I agree the safe move is to put Reed down in the lineup and they may just do that for the first week or so he is here, but he is perfectly suited for the two hole, he doesn't strike out a lot and he hits well when behind in the count. I see him fitting nicely in the two hole and soon.

This coming from a Rowand backer in the offseason. He better get it done soon, or someone else will.

NonetheLoaiza
05-09-2004, 06:25 PM
They might have moved Diaz to the bullpen to get him some more innings and work before the call up...maybe?

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Duncan was acquired in the offseason as a minor league free agent.

I agree the safe move is to put Reed down in the lineup and they may just do that for the first week or so he is here, but he is perfectly suited for the two hole, he doesn't strike out a lot and he hits well when behind in the count. I see him fitting nicely in the two hole and soon.

This coming from a Rowand backer in the offseason. He better get it done soon, or someone else will.

The guy was born to hit second, but who knows how ready he's gonna be when we bring him up--great eye, bat control, knows how to hit. And he had 45 steals last year so while he may not be blazing fast he obviously has base running smarts. He can get 25 easily at the big league level.

MarkEdward
05-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Anyone know what has happened to Reed's pop? This year, he only has eight extra-base hits in over 100 at-bats. Last year, he slugged almost .600 in the Southern League (and a tough hitter's park in Birmingham). I know that he's not projected to have a lot of power in the majors, but I'm kind of worried about his sub-.400 slugging percentage in a hitter's park like Charlotte.

Of course, this could be chalked up to a small sample size.

A. Cavatica
05-09-2004, 07:48 PM
I imagine Diaz pitched in relief because the Sox wanted to shift his scheduled turn a day or two -- in other words, they've probably already decided to call him up, but he wouldn't have been on schedule for whenever they need him to start. (Or maybe they're going to give Cotts the start and let Diaz get his feet wet in the pen?)

Did anyone else notice Jason Grilli's line today? U G L Y! He got the win but probably assured himself of staying in Charlotte until September.

J Grilli (W,2-3) 5 1 2 2 8 0

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Anyone know what has happened to Reed's pop? This year, he only has eight extra-base hits in over 100 at-bats. Last year, he slugged almost .600 in the Southern League (and a tough hitter's park in Birmingham). I know that he's not projected to have a lot of power in the majors, but I'm kind of worried about his sub-.400 slugging percentage in a hitter's park like Charlotte.

Of course, this could be chalked up to a small sample size.

I would guess that at his best, Reed is a lot more like Tony Gwynn than a heavy power hitter. It's a dimension of the game that we don't really have...a pure leadoff/2 hitter who's job is to get on base. We have the power and I dont think that the decline in power is worrisome because he still has it. It also might be due to the fact that his XBHs were doubles more often than not and those can be cut down (I would assume) in a bandbox like Charlotte because there's less ground to cover. The fact that he jumped from AA to AAA without much trouble is an excellent sign in and of itself.

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Also could be the Sox might have him in the pen, so have him get use to preparing to come out of the pen.