PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Post game thread 5-9-04

Daver
05-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Jeez what a train wreck of a weekend.

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-09-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm glad we're done with the blue jays for the season. All of their pitchers looked like Cy Young.

HomeFish
The magic is over.

We got a month of Ozzieball and now the team is back to their 2003 ways, except for Esteban Loaiza, who is back to his 2002 way.

I congratulate the Twins on winning the AL Central. Three times in a row. :whiner:

OEO Magglio
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
The magic is over.

We got a month of Ozzieball and now the team is back to their 2003 ways, except for Esteban Loaiza, who is back to his 2002 way.

I congratulate the Twins on winning the AL Central. Three times in a row. :whiner:

Do us all a favor and don't post in September when we are in 1st place. Thanks.

CWSGuy406
05-09-2004, 03:26 PM
The magic is over.

Go away. Please. We're still in first, Minny has to beat the As to get first... But, anyways, just go away...

Patrick134
05-09-2004, 03:30 PM
This is the same guy that called one of our early games in NY a "must-win". he hasn't gotten any smarter.

soxwon
05-09-2004, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoxxoS
[B]Do us all a favor and don't post in September when we are in 1st place. Thanks.

i agree soxxos- i hate people who give up so quickly.
so we lost 3 we will be fine we are coming home- dont worry

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 03:33 PM
My thoughts:

It looks like CLee is breaking out of it. He had much different swings at the plate.

Trade Konerko? My ass. Nobody wants him. We are stuck with him. And don't think he is going to get a hit the rest of May, b/c he has got a major mental block now. Hey Ozzie...how can you NOT pinch hit in the 9th for Konerko. You have a lefty on the bench that plays first...his name is Ross Gload. Use him. Even Hawk knew Konerko was going to strike out.

Crede-Once again. Cut your swing down for cripe sake. It takes about 3 seconds to finish. The best swing you had the whole season was going to opposite way on that check swing with 2 strikes.

Thomas looks OK, he should start hitting his stride. Good to see he got a hit with RISP. Should have been a grand slam.

Willie Harris has impressed the hell out of me. He is near .300 people. That is why I started a thread on hit b/c he was everyones whipping boy before the season started. Got to love how Ozzie pinch hits a guy that is 3-3, and doesn't pinch hit for Konerko. How you pinch hit a guy 3-3 I don't know. He should have pinch hit for Valentin, who is turning into the new "Choice."

Loaiza will be OK. It's an adjustment period. You can't leave a pitch with two strikes over THAT MUCH OF THE PLATE, to Orlando Hudson. No excuses. That was really, really, really bad.

Reed...Reed...Jeremy Reed. The "Aaron Rowand experience" has about had it. Even a monkey can figure out that pitchers are just throwing you stuff low and away...and you chase it EVERY time.

The offense should pick up this week, as Thomas, CLee and Maggs will be OK. My only concern is that we can't have an automatic out (and most of the time, 2 outs) with Konerko in the middle of the lineup. He is the ultimate rally killer. I know Ozzie likes to stick by his guys...but he might have to sit until we get to June. He is an obvious mental midget at the plate right now. He looks so foolish. Thomas or Gload can play 1st, and the other one can DH. It's not hard.

Finally...what was Loiaza out there for 8 innings for?

voodoochile
05-09-2004, 03:42 PM
The magic is over.

:whoflungpoo

:chickenlittle

Earliest, most ridiculous and dumbest jump off the bandwagon I have ever witnessed.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

:whiner:

^^That's you

CWSGuy406
05-09-2004, 03:43 PM
I agree with everything you said, SoxxoS. Rowand is a fourth outfielder - he isn't helping this team one bit right now. I don't care, I want to see Reed. At least he can read pitches and see that a slider is going to break out of the zone. Rowand has power but no batting eye.

What was Loaiza's final pitch count? Loaiza was mediocre but at least he gave us innings. Eight of them. And, you're not going to win many games by scoring two runs. Konerko sucked with RISP.

Lee, Thomas, and Harris were impressive today, and it's good to see Lee getting going. Harris needs to be in the lineup daily, same with Uribe. My suggestion is move Harris to center, Uribe at second, and Valentin at short. I'm sorry but Rowand just isn't a starter.

Shoeless Joe
05-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Very depressing series but this is only our second series that we lost (I think?). Let's get the team back home were they belong and get this team going before we face the Twinkies and the dangerous Lew Ford and 40 game winner Carlos Silva.

Whitesox029
05-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: There are many things I could say about the various annoying posts in this thread so far, but I'm going to keep my mouth shut and just agree with OEO Magglio.

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 03:47 PM
The question is...can we trade Valentin? Uribe and Harris have proved they should be in the lineup everyday. But so has Valentin. However, he is the one making 5 million and is the odd-man out. Does anyone want him, though? The only thing I can think of is trading him to Cincy for Danny Graves. Their salaries are about equal, and I believe they need a SS. We need a closer. It works both ways.

I don't understand how you can pinch hit for Harris, who was 3-3, and not Valentin (against a lefty) or Konerko. That has to be Ozzie's dumbest managerial move thusfar.

OEO Magglio
05-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
I agree with everything you said, SoxxoS. Rowand is a fourth outfielder - he isn't helping this team one bit right now. I don't care, I want to see Reed. At least he can read pitches and see that a slider is going to break out of the zone. Rowand has power but no batting eye.

What was Loaiza's final pitch count? Loaiza was mediocre but at least he gave us innings. Eight of them. And, you're not going to win many games by scoring two runs. Konerko sucked with RISP.

Lee, Thomas, and Harris were impressive today, and it's good to see Lee getting going. Harris needs to be in the lineup daily, same with Uribe. My suggestion is move Harris to center, Uribe at second, and Valentin at short. I'm sorry but Rowand just isn't a starter.
I agree with your suggestion, that's what the sox need to do. Then move Jose down in the order so they have a lefty bat down in the lineup and split up carlos and pk. I would like to see valentin sandwiched between carlos and pk in the lineup and willie and uribe the first 2 hitters.

Baby Fisk
05-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I agree with SoxxoS. You said so much there's so little left to say! :D:

Anyway, it was pretty crappy that the Sox came to Toronto to do business but played like they were on vacation. I was at Skydome Friday & Sunday. Nice to see a handful of Sox fans there. They weren't very loud, but then again neither are Jays fans so they blended right in. Today there was a bunch of Sox fans in the RF bleachers and they started the Magglio cheer. Nice! :cool:

And I just want to take this opportunity to pile on the Anti-Rowand sentiments. He looked gawd-awful at the plate, especially Sunday. I mean, GAWD AWFUL! :(:

Crede: easy does it man. His swings blew my hat off...IN THE UPPER DECK FOR PETE'S SAKE!

Anyway, here's to a quick losing streak. Be it over, right now! :gulp:

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 03:52 PM
That is actually a very good point that I have't thought of...

Why do we have two lefties back to back at the top of the order...especially if Valentin is the #2 hitter. CLee should definitely be #2. He proved he thrives there. Valentin isn't the type of guy that if he sees "good" pitches, he is going to hit them. I think you can put Valentin 7th are you are going to get just as good of results as him batting 2nd. CLee, OTOH, kills fastballs and pitches around the plate. I didn't realize this. How stupid. Come on Ozzie. Think.

beckett21
05-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
My thoughts:

It looks like CLee is breaking out of it. He had much different swings at the plate.

Trade Konerko? My ass. Nobody wants him. We are stuck with him. And don't think he is going to get a hit the rest of May, b/c he has got a major mental block now. Hey Ozzie...how can you NOT pinch hit in the 9th for Konerko. You have a lefty on the bench that plays first...his name is Ross Gload. Use him. Even Hawk knew Konerko was going to strike out.

Crede-Once again. Cut your swing down for cripe sake. It takes about 3 seconds to finish. The best swing you had the whole season was going to opposite way on that check swing with 2 strikes.

Thomas looks OK, he should start hitting his stride. Good to see he got a hit with RISP. Should have been a grand slam.

Willie Harris has impressed the hell out of me. He is near .300 people. That is why I started a thread on hit b/c he was everyones whipping boy before the season started. Got to love how Ozzie pinch hits a guy that is 3-3, and doesn't pinch hit for Konerko. How you pinch hit a guy 3-3 I don't know. He should have pinch hit for Valentin, who is turning into the new "Choice."

Loaiza will be OK. It's an adjustment period. You can't leave a pitch with two strikes over THAT MUCH OF THE PLATE, to Orlando Hudson. No excuses. That was really, really, really bad.

Reed...Reed...Jeremy Reed. The "Aaron Rowand experience" has about had it. Even a monkey can figure out that pitchers are just throwing you stuff low and away...and you chase it EVERY time.

The offense should pick up this week, as Thomas, CLee and Maggs will be OK. My only concern is that we can't have an automatic out (and most of the time, 2 outs) with Konerko in the middle of the lineup. He is the ultimate rally killer. I know Ozzie likes to stick by his guys...but he might have to sit until we get to June. He is an obvious mental midget at the plate right now. He looks so foolish. Thomas or Gload can play 1st, and the other one can DH. It's not hard.

Finally...what was Loiaza out there for 8 innings for?

Good post. I didn't have a problem with Esty going 8, otherwise I think you are right on.

As much as I want to see Konerko succeed, he has some serious issues right now. I think we have to stick with him a little longer, but this act is growing old and tired. Not ready to give up completely on him yet, but I think you are right when you say he has some mental issues at the plate. Don't think it's physical, all mental. But he is painful to watch right now, downright painful. He is the guy who worries me most. Maybe a few games off would do him some good. But we need him to step up, he is an important cog in the lineup.

Harris is at least putting the ball in play. With his speed, only good things can happen. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Jeremy Reed time has to be close....

ChiSox7
05-09-2004, 04:04 PM
I dont think the getting swept is a big problem. It's who we got swept by and why we got swept that bothers me.

For the past three years we have sucked against crappy and mediocre teams. We got away with it at the beginning of the year, but not anymore.

We can't hit the ball. Bottom line. It's like last year all over again. They'll have one good month to get their averages up, but we need them to hit in May, June, and September as well.

Bottom line is the offense isn't very good. We're still near the top, and 4 games over, but if we play like this for long, we wont be. I don't like the warning signs. It looks way too much like 02 and 03. Other teams good teams dont have this mouch trouble in April and May hitting. Why do we? What should make us think this year should be any different?

Ozzie? Uhoh.

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 04:08 PM
The bright spot is:

Although we would love to be a first half team, we are definitely not. This is a lineup full of 2nd half hitters. I don't know why we were miraculously thinking we were just going to go wire to wire. I think the Ozzie factor made us think that this team was going to come out of the gates a firing...which we did...but it can't last forever. We used some smoke and mirrors thusfar. I am happy we are 4 games above .500 with the way we have been playing. Konerko, Maggs, CLee are all notorious 2nd half hitters. We are going to have to, unfortunately, weather the storm until then. We have to play like we were before this series.

Most importantly, we have to play well against the Twins. If we sweep the Twins this fri-sat-sun, all this will be forgotten. But there is also the flipside...

Lip Man 1
05-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Chisox 7 beat me to it. Toronto was one of the worst teams in the league....they just swept the Sox.

Replace Toronto with Detroit or Cleveland from 2003 and you'll see why some of us are concerned.

Somebody's been beating the Jays, it's not like they are the 27 Yankees is it?

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Soxxos:

Interesting points although the questions that have to be asked are:

Why are the Sox a second half team?

and playing well in the second half hasn't produced any playoff appearances has it?

You can say the weather is bad, but the weather's bad for other East and Northern teams and the weather's bad for the teams that come into Chicago to play but still win games.

Lip

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 04:41 PM
The magic is over.

Well if you are so convinced the Twins are going to win the Central, you might as well not follow the White Sox because the Twins have already won it. No need to post here because it's all over in early May so there's no use continuing on with the season because the Sox are done at 17-13, and a half game out as of now in early May. Wave the White Flag. Trade Maggs, Loaiza and Thomas to the Yankees and Red Sox because we're out of it and there's no use.

Give me a ****ing break. We looked terrible this last series, but WE'RE IN EARLY MAY AND WE'RE STILL 17-13 AND .5 BACK. Are there some concerns? Yes there certainly are, but there are tons of bright spots as well if you have to look. You haven't posted one thing positive at all.

mdep524
05-09-2004, 04:47 PM
The question is...can we trade Valentin? Uribe and Harris have proved they should be in the lineup everyday. But so has Valentin. However, he is the one making 5 million and is the odd-man out. Does anyone want him, though? The only thing I can think of is trading him to Cincy for Danny Graves. Their salaries are about equal, and I believe they need a SS. We need a closer. It works both ways.

I don't understand how you can pinch hit for Harris, who was 3-3, and not Valentin (against a lefty) or Konerko. That has to be Ozzie's dumbest managerial move thusfar.

Ridiculous move- definitely his dumbest as manager. This was a truly pathetic, listless series. I hope Ozzie kicks some major ass in that clubhouse before Tuesday. I'm going Tuesday night and don't want to see he Sox scrap out two runs. It is very clear SOME kind of move has to be made- either Reed or Harris in the OF or preferably a trade of some kind.

My question is does Kenny Williams watch this team and realize this, or is he too busy flipping over buffet tables??

duke of dorwood
05-09-2004, 04:48 PM
One thing to remember. The line-up is not that much different than the past several years. The core-players, Jose, Konerko, Maggs, Lee, Hurt are still the same guys that ALL slump at the same time at several times during the year. This is why I asked for offense, not pitching, in the off-season-someone to have a consistant spark during these slumps. THe slumps are what keep us from being a better team each year.

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 04:48 PM
The thing is this isn't a well constructed ball club, and will Kenny leading it I doubt it will get better. We need hitters who can work counts and our patience at the plate. The teams best success is derived from that. When the Sox become to over aggressive at the plate, see Lee and Konerko, the team struggles. The bull pen is a weak spot, no guy who you can have real confidence that will shut down a rally.

I think it is time to start the Run Williams Out Town Society.

duke of dorwood
05-09-2004, 04:49 PM
And how Ozzie deals with these slumps is key.

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
We need hitters who can work counts and our patience at the plate....The bull pen is a weak spot, no guy who you can have real confidence that will shut down a rally.

Well let's trade for Eric Gagne and Mark Bellhorn and then Fire Kenny because we got swept in 3 games out of 162

mdep524
05-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Soxxos:

Interesting points although the questions that have to be asked are:

Why are the Sox a second half team?

and playing well in the second half hasn't produced any playoff appearances has it?

You can say the weather is bad, but the weather's bad for other East and Northern teams and the weather's bad for the teams that come into Chicago to play but still win games.

Lip

I agree that you can't just excuse the Sox anemic play because they are a "second half team." The reason they play better in the second half is simply because the pressure's off- its the same reason the Bulls and Bears always play better at the end of the season- nothing's on the line.

This team needs to play more consistent baseball, and if they can't do it, for God's sake get some new players in here!!! How long can this core live on their 2000 glory when they haven't won a damn thing since?

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well let's trade for Eric Gagne and Mark Bellhorn and then Fire Kenny because we got swept in 3 games out of 162

Nah, I just want a competent GM. Kenny barely qualfies, time for another person.

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Nah, I just want a competent GM. Kenny barely qualfies, time for another person.

I know! Completely incompetant. Getting Diaz for Durham who we weren't going to resign anyways, Olvio for Bradford, signing and believing in Schoeneweis and Loaiza, staying with Willie Harris, Aaron Miles for Juan Uribe. I deplore the incompetancy

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 04:58 PM
You want a lefty that can get on base and work the count?

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 04:59 PM
I know! Completely incompetant. Getting Diaz for Durham who we weren't going to resign anyways, Olvio for Bradford, signing and believing in Schoeneweis and Loaiza, staying with Willie Harris, Aaron Miles for Juan Uribe. I deplore the incompetancy

I think you meant Adkins for Durham...which, IMO, shouldn't be listed as a "strong point" for KW.

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 05:01 PM
I think you meant Adkins for Durham...which, IMO, shouldn't be listed as a "strong point" for KW.

Well then who did we get Diaz for? I know he was from the Giants.

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 05:02 PM

For Kenny Lofton.

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 05:03 PM

Hey if you are stratified with mediocre teams that fail, Kenny is you man. If you want a successful team, I think it is team for the Sox to move on. For as much as you and other supporters of Kenny want to triumph moves Kenny has made (most of which the player acquired haven't done anything of merit), his record stands for itself. For every Loaiza there is a Ritchie.

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 05:04 PM
For Kenny Lofton.

Just emphasizes my point. KW is certainly compitant, it's just really hit or miss with Kenny. He's had some really good and bad moves.

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 05:04 PM

Durham was traded to the A's. He signed with the Giants as a FA.

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Was it KW or Schuler that resigned Konerko?

I seriously think that re-signing was worse than the Ritchie for Wells trade.

(It really is only Ritchie for Wells as Lowe is in the minors and Josh Fogg is absolute crap...)

PaulDrake
05-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey if you are stratified with mediocre teams that fail, Kenny is you man. If you want a successful team, I think it is team for the Sox to move on. For as much as you and other supporters of Kenny want to triumph moves Kenny has made (most of which the player acquired haven't done anything of merit), his record stands for itself. For every Loaiza there is a Ritchie. Or a Billy Koch. KW is not what the doctor ordered but he does have his supporters here doesn't he?

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Just emphasizes my point. KW is certainly compitant, it's just really hit or miss with Kenny. He's had some really good and bad moves.

I like KW.

HOWEVER, it is obvious that this batting order needs some shakeup. Someone needs to leave. Let's look at the players that aren't getting traded:

Crede
Maggs
Thomas
Olivo
Harris
Uribe

That leaves:
Valentin
CLee
Konerko

As possible trade bait. Not to mention near 20 MILLION in salary.

Jeremy Reed needs to be called up immediately. He is hitting .315, and that was after a week long slump to start the season. He had his average up to .350 before this past week. We know he can hit AND get on base. Plus, he is a lefty that would take a big hole (Rowand) out of the lineup and add a positive. CLee is fine. He isn't the problem. It's Valentin or Konerko that needs to go-The question is...who wants them. I seriously think Cincy might do a Valentin, mid-level prospect for Graves. Anyway-

Harris
Reed
Maggs
Thomas
CLee
Crede
Konerko
Uribe
Olivo

If we could just get Konerko out of here...we would have a pretty solid lineup that can run and make contact. Thomas and Crede are the only guys who can't run in that lineup. Substiture Konerko with Gload, I don't think we lose a lot, and if we trade him and Valentin...that is 13 million for KW to play with and get a starter/closer and whever he wants.

This should probably be in pink.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-09-2004, 05:20 PM
The magic is over.

beckett21
05-09-2004, 05:30 PM
The thing is this isn't a well constructed ball club, and will Kenny leading it I doubt it will get better. We need hitters who can work counts and our patience at the plate. The teams best success is derived from that. When the Sox become to over aggressive at the plate, see Lee and Konerko, the team struggles. The bull pen is a weak spot, no guy who you can have real confidence that will shut down a rally.

I don't even have the energy to get into this fray again.

You're absolutely right. Let's put you in charge. I'm sure you will do a lot better.

:angry:

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 05:57 PM
I like KW.

HOWEVER, it is obvious that this batting order needs some shakeup. Someone needs to leave. Let's look at the players that aren't getting traded:

Crede
Maggs
Thomas
Olivo
Harris
Uribe

That leaves:
Valentin
CLee
Konerko

As possible trade bait. Not to mention near 20 MILLION in salary.

Jeremy Reed needs to be called up immediately. He is hitting .315, and that was after a week long slump to start the season. He had his average up to .350 before this past week. We know he can hit AND get on base. Plus, he is a lefty that would take a big hole (Rowand) out of the lineup and add a positive. CLee is fine. He isn't the problem. It's Valentin or Konerko that needs to go-The question is...who wants them. I seriously think Cincy might do a Valentin, mid-level prospect for Graves. Anyway-

Harris
Reed
Maggs
Thomas
CLee
Crede
Konerko
Uribe
Olivo

If we could just get Konerko out of here...we would have a pretty solid lineup that can run and make contact. Thomas and Crede are the only guys who can't run in that lineup. Substiture Konerko with Gload, I don't think we lose a lot, and if we trade him and Valentin...that is 13 million for KW to play with and get a starter/closer and whever he wants.

This should probably be in pink.

We need to dump both Lee and Konerko. These guys suck. Every year these two go weeks and weeks doing NOTHING at the plate. And some people want to keep Lee and let Maggs go!!!!!!!! Can you imagine Lee being Franks only protection in the lineup? LMAO This is 15 million wasted. Koch is another 6, Valentin 5.

Rowand is just garbage. I cannot remember him doing anything good all year. He's not cut out to play this much. He does NOTHING.

Ozzie isn't a very good strategic manager. He's like Dusty Baker in that sense. Both are excellent with people and firing them up, but make dumb moves. This isn't to say Ozzie isn't a good manager, but I'm just stating a fact. He will get better at this part of managing. Pinch hit Perez when Valentin's on the bench, pinch hit for Harris who was 3-3.

CWSGuy406
05-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Guys, looks like we'll still have a share of first at the end of the day. Twinkies losing to the As 7-4.

beckett21
05-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Guys, looks like we'll still have a share of first at the end of the day. Twinkies losing to the As 7-4.

But how could that possibly be? We SUCK, remember?!?!? Haven't you been paying attention???

:)

PaleHoseGeorge
05-09-2004, 06:33 PM
....When the Sox become to over aggressive at the plate, see Lee and Konerko, the team struggles....

Would this be an inopportune time to note that it is May and Paul Konerko has fallen into a severe slump? Gee, who could have predicted it?

:walnuts
"The one season I didn't fall into a May slump I *cha-ching* cashed in for $10 million!"

Not to be an alarmist but it is only May 9, too. Only 22 days left to go!

:smile:

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 06:41 PM
It's a Final in Oakland. A's win 8-4. Mulder Complete Game. White Sox remain tied for first place despite getting swept.

But we're absolutely terrible!

TornLabrum
05-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Would this be an inopportune time to note that it is May and Paul Konerko has fallen into a severe slump? Gee, who could have predicted it?

:walnuts
"The one season I didn't fall into a May slump I *cha-ching* cashed in for $10 million!"

Not to be an alarmist but it is only May 9, too. Only 22 days left to go!

:smile:

He's the new Ray Durham!

jackbrohamer
05-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I bet the slump won't stop him from giving an interview to every reporter who gets within 10 feet of him.

dpbyron
05-09-2004, 07:45 PM
"Congrats to Minn on winning the AL Central"

"The season is over"

What the **** is that crap.

WHAT A JOKE

:threadsucks

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by dpbyron
"Congrats to Minn on winning the AL Central"

"The season is over"

What the **** is that crap.

WHAT A JOKE

Well at least those types of comments suck.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2004, 10:01 PM
You can also look at it this way. Considering the Sox were playing a poor team and the fact the Twins were playing two tougher teams the past few years, the Sox lost a grand chance to create some space between the two.

The Sox still haven't gone out to the West Coast and their record since August 2000 is awful to say the least.

Lip

Voice of Reason
05-09-2004, 10:04 PM
I think a lot of people are making a mistake as classifying the Jays as a poor team. The Jays won 86 games last year and for the most part have added to that team rather than lost significant contributors. A lot of people said before the season the Jays could win the AL Central if they were fortunate enough to be in it. You can't judge a team on one month, April may well be the worst month the Jays have.

TornLabrum
05-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Voice of Reason
I think a lot of people are making a mistake as classifying the Jays as a poor team. The Jays won 86 games last year and for the most part have added to that team rather than lost significant contributors. A lot of people said before the season the Jays could win the AL Central if they were fortunate enough to be in it. You can't judge a team on one month, April may well be the worst month the Jays have.

*DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING*

We have a winner!

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 10:11 PM

That is a very good point. I think everyone is underappriciating how good the Jays probably are. I am not saying they are going to make the playoffs, but you can't deny their lineup. Delgado, Wells, Phelps, Hinske are or can be all-stars. Add new Sox killers Catalanotto, Hudson and Zaun, you have the makings of a tough lineup. Not to mention they could have trotted a AA leaguer and we wouldn't have hit them. We are in a slump.

Probably would have had a better arguement if we faced Halladay again, though. :smile:

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
I don't even have the energy to get into this fray again.

You're absolutely right. Let's put you in charge. I'm sure you will do a lot better.

:angry:

Probably not but I bet I could find someone who would do a better job. It won't be that tough.

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Was it KW or Schuler that resigned Konerko?

I seriously think that re-signing was worse than the Ritchie for Wells trade.

(It really is only Ritchie for Wells as Lowe is in the minors and Josh Fogg is absolute crap...)

It was Kenny once again.

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda

LOL, I love this for Kenny. Should put a mirro on the door showing a reflecting of Kenny.

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 10:48 PM

Jays are a good team, coming into this year I thought they were be the thrid best team in the AL.

beckett21
05-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Probably not but I bet I could find someone who would do a better job. It won't be that tough.

I was waiting for your response!

Just curious, did Kenny run over your dog or something?

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
I was waiting for your response!

Just curious, did Kenny run over your dog or something?

No just ran over my Sox.

HomerCoach
05-09-2004, 11:06 PM
My thoughts:

The Blue Jays had a stat on their big screen Konerko led the league with a fielding percentage of .998 last year, and he made 2 or 3 nice plays today. I agree with pinch-hitting for him in the ninth, but Gload is not ready to be an everyday player, neither is Rowand. Harris was 3-3, Jose had 1 weak single and has been unimpressive thus far...common sense... pinch-hit for Harris , don't get it.
Personally, a frustrating first major league game experience; but an enjoyable one.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by HomerCoach
The Blue Jays had a stat on their big screen Konerko led the league with a fielding percentage of .998 last year, and he made 2 or 3 nice plays today. I agree with pinch-hitting for him in the ninth, but Gload is not ready to be an everyday player, neither is Rowand. Harris was 3-3, Jose had 1 weak single and has been unimpressive thus far...common sense... pinch-hit for Harris , don't get it.
Personally, a frustrating first major league game experience; but an enjoyable one.

That's the definitive example of why fielding percentage is overrated.

RKMeibalane
05-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

:hitless

"Not from where I stand it isn't."

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
:hitless

"Not from where I stand it isn't."

That too.

Frank also has an excellent fielding percentage.

HomerCoach
05-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

And I suppose you are a, 2 RBI for 2 error, Valentin supporter.
Believe me, I'm not defending Konerko or his contract. I'm just more comfortable with him there than Gload or Frank. No way Frank could have caught some of the Crede throws thus far, let alone applied a tag after he was pulled off the bag. And as poor as PKs range is, Franks is half that.
Its apparent to me that I'm not as knowledgeable on the game as some of you experts, but Ross Gload appears overmatched and out-of-place in the majors. I've not seen him get "good wood" on many pitches this year. I hope hes not in the dugout just so we can say we have another left-handed bat, I hope hes here to produce when called upon.
Everyone was kissing PK's tail after the first 2 weeks of the season, now we're writing him off again.

SSN721
05-10-2004, 07:33 AM
It is nice to see relatively positive posts on this thread, I was certainly expecting more negativity after this weekend. Other than the doomsday posts from Lip and HomeFish (which I would expect) it seems like most everyone else has a positive attitude. I am pretty upset at the lack of fire the team seemed to have in Toronto, but it is just the beginnign of the year and they arent gonna win them all. If the trend continues at home I will become a lot more concerned. At least we seem to be getting enough men on base to win, if the hitting with RISP would come around, which I think it will, we will be in fine shape. I also am baffled about pinch hitting for Harris and leaving in Valentin and Konerko, dont understand that at all. One of the few highly questionable moves I have seen Ozzie make in my opinion. But I am 4-1 at games I have been to and I am going Tue, so I am sure they will be turning it around. :D:

KingXerxes
05-10-2004, 10:41 AM
While getting swept by Toronto is not what anybody wanted to happen - it's certainly not the end of the world. I guess the only troubling part of the entire road trip is that the White Sox looked like they were sleep walking at times, and that is the exact reason why they brought Guillen in to manage. Let's just hope it was a blip on the RADAR screen, and not a preview of things to come.

batmanZoSo
05-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by HomerCoach
And I suppose you are a, 2 RBI for 2 error, Valentin supporter.
Believe me, I'm not defending Konerko or his contract. I'm just more comfortable with him there than Gload or Frank. No way Frank could have caught some of the Crede throws thus far, let alone applied a tag after he was pulled off the bag. And as poor as PKs range is, Franks is half that.
Its apparent to me that I'm not as knowledgeable on the game as some of you experts, but Ross Gload appears overmatched and out-of-place in the majors. I've not seen him get "good wood" on many pitches this year. I hope hes not in the dugout just so we can say we have another left-handed bat, I hope hes here to produce when called upon.
Everyone was kissing PK's tail after the first 2 weeks of the season, now we're writing him off again.

Overall, Valentin's been a solid shortstop. He's great at the double play, has good range and a good arm. He makes a lot of errors that don't cost us runs. Sure they give the other team extra time at the plate, but results are results. I trust him to make the game ending double play than I do Harris, or ever did Clayton. Jose brings left handed pop to the table which is very important to this team. He also hits big homers and is the best team leader. Although it is time to let him go after this year, because we have a better shortstop who's only 24 and is a better hitter. But I don't blame Valentin for any of the bad times we've had. It's just time to go.