PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for making fun/doubting you Willie Harris

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 01:27 PM
I know 95% of us were looking for Willie Harris' replacement before the season started. I started this thread to give him some props...he is 3 for 3 on the day...and nearing .300. He is taking pitches and was stealing bases before yesterday. He has had a few brain cramps on the bases, but hopefully that will cure itself with time. He has also played pretty solid defense.

We knock guys a lot, and we should praise them when they are doing well. Good job, Willie.

The_Floridian
05-09-2004, 03:09 PM
I'm happy for Willie. I said we should give him at least until mid-May, and we're just about there.

Willie is now batting 301. I'm not sure, but I think his OBP is in the 350 range. He's 5 for 6 on stolen bases this season, and his defense has been solid and occasionally excellent.

If Willie were to keep up this pace for the whole season (which would give him around 30 steals), I think we'd be very happy with that.

Oh, and my fiancee says we should stop calling him Wee Willie or Little Willie cause she says it's bad for his ego. "How would they feel if someone called them little something? Huh!? HUH!?"

She's a very persuasive person.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2004, 03:34 PM
I'm happy for Willie....let's see how long he can keep it going before we pass final judgement one way or another.

Three weeks does not a season make.

Lip

nodiggity59
05-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Willie has shown a lot this year and frankly he and Uribe are making a case to elbow out Valentin. No certainties yet but it would certainly be cheaper. Even Manos' supporters know he's overpaid.

Hopefully with Willie's better play, the Sox can have a coveted solid "middle of the field" with Uribe, Willie, Olivo, and Reed for a few years.

Then again, he could go 2 for the rest of May :D:

lowesox
05-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
Willie has shown a lot this year and frankly he and Uribe are making a case to elbow out Valentin. No certainties yet but it would certainly be cheaper. Even Manos' supporters know he's overpaid.

Hopefully with Willie's better play, the Sox can have a coveted solid "middle of the field" with Uribe, Willie, Olivo, and Reed for a few years.

Then again, he could go 2 for the rest of May :D:

Man, I'd love to get rid of Valentin and his big fat salary. If the sox can move him, they should. Although, if we trade Valentin we should pick up a cheap, scrap-pile shortstop too. Because A) Harris and URibe could implode at any given moment and B) Dransfelt isn't the trustiest insurance policy.

voodoochile
05-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Harris needs to learn to take pitches and take walks before he can be a leadoff hitter, IMO.

If you really want to bench somebody, let's bench Rowand and put Harris in CF.

beckett21
05-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Harris needs to learn to take pitches and take walks before he can be a leadoff hitter, IMO.

If you really want to bench somebody, let's bench Rowand and put Harris in CF.

If Harris and Uribe continue their current production, that move would seem to make the most sense.

nodiggity59
05-09-2004, 07:48 PM
I think plate patience is important, but few good leadoff hitters take walks as much as you would think these days. Harris might not take walks but he does put the ball in play when he's going good.

Ultimately, I'd be happy with him if he hit .285-.300 and put the ball in play without walks, AS LONG AS HE WAS PATIENT AND WORKED COUNTS.

voodoochile
05-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
I think plate patience is important, but few good leadoff hitters take walks as much as you would think these days. Harris might not take walks but he does put the ball in play when he's going good.

Ultimately, I'd be happy with him if he hit .285-.300 and put the ball in play without walks, AS LONG AS HE WAS PATIENT AND WORKED COUNTS.

It it going to be tough to score runs if the LOH isn't in the .350 OBP range.

If harris does what you suggest without walking, he would make a fine #9 hitter. After all, it worked for Ozzie.

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 07:57 PM
True Voodoo-

I could definitely see-

Reed
Lee
X
X
X
X
X
X
Harris

Wouldn't be too bad at all.

Voice of Reason
05-09-2004, 08:52 PM
If someone could teach Harris to stop taking foolish risks on the bases then I would be happy with his current production. Realistically I'm worried about Harris long term, as many people have pointed out he doesn't have good plate discipline. To be valuable at the top of the order he needs to get on base. To get on base he is either going to have to keep hitting at least .300 (.285 wouldn't cut it) or take more walks. I am not confident in Willie's ability to do either one of those things.

SoxxoS
05-11-2004, 09:46 PM
I think more people owe Willie an apology. :cool:

OEO Magglio
05-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Willie...... I'm sorry. :)

Randar68
05-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'm happy for Willie....let's see how long he can keep it going before we pass final judgement one way or another.

Three weeks does not a season make.

Lip

Lip, where's the apology, Holmes?

RKMeibalane
05-11-2004, 10:33 PM
I apologize.

MRKARNO
05-11-2004, 10:40 PM
:roidduck

"I would just like to apoligize.."

Jerome
05-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Willie, (no longer Wee Wee Harris or Wee Willie Harris) I just...apologi.

pearso66
05-11-2004, 11:14 PM
I have to say, I was happy goin in with willie at the beginning of the season, and I'm glad we stuck with him.

daveeym
05-11-2004, 11:16 PM
They need to play Sweet - Willie Won't Go Home when he comes to the plate.

Little willie willie won't go home, but you can't push willie round willie won't go.

A little contradictory for baseball purposes but I like the "you can't push willie round" hell edit it to little willie willie willie GO HOME.

the rest of the lyrics are kinda fitting though, talking about chasing, speed, shimmy shuffling - all references to being quick and fast.

Would be pretty cool if the crowd sang the chorus aloud everytime he came up ala o-e-o Magglio. Anything that gets the crowd behind a player improves their play. Honestly I loved shawn Dunston as a kid and being a shortstop (loved ozzie too but dunston came first) that guy directly responded to big games and fan reaction, I'd love to see more fun backing of our players ala o-e-o.

chisox06
05-11-2004, 11:22 PM
I always said that Willie just needs some consitant playing time and he'll really start to shine. But before he got hot, I have to say I wanted him outa there. The big thing that I've seen is that he's getting elevation on the ball (almost hit a homer today) and spraying it too all fields, his typical grounders to the second basemen were getting outa hand. He's also been much more patient, not swinging at balls in the dirt nearly as much, and even drew a walk today. On the defensive side he's solid, has only made 1 error all year.

Willie just looks a ton more relaxed out there. Willie I apologize but remember its early, and if you get back into your first pitch swinging/strikeout crap we'll all be on ya again. But keep it up Wee Willie. :gulp: :gulp:

SSN721
05-12-2004, 06:47 AM
Well I was gonna start a new thread on Willie, but I guess it seems redundant since I would have made it basically the same as this one. Just suprised that there are only 19 posts on a thread when it is giving props. I'm sure even now if it was a get rid of Willie thread there would be about a 100 posts on it easy. I was gonna write a thread asking what is it gonna take before we give him any credit at all. It is early, I do agree, but many here are ready to anoint Uribe as our future SS, which I am fine with. SO if many here are ready to do that, what is wuith the refusal of most people here to give Willie any credit at all? ANd please dont bring up his two bad bunts because that is such a crap argument considering everyone has madea few bonehead plays this year and they dont get singled out for it. I also disagree with many people saying he cant draw walks. I guess we are all watching different games, to me it sure seems like his plate discipline has increased dramatically, either resulting in drawing a walk or waiting for the right pitch to slap out of reach of the infielders. I couldnt ask for more out of our leadoff hitter. I think .327 ave and .376 OBP is hard to argue with. I dont think his average will stay that high all year but I feel with the more patience he has been showing at the plate his walks will increase as well so he will be close to maintaining the .376 OBP. SOrry for the rant, I just find it annoying this guy still gets called out for being bad when I dont see what else he needs to do to prove himself. And of course I know you will all remember this post and if (which I dont think will happen) Willie fails over the course of the year then feel free to tear me down and tell me what an idiot I am. Just wanted to add my two cents and give props to da man. :cool:

gosox41
05-12-2004, 06:53 AM

If he hits well the rest of the year, I'll apologize and gladly admit I was wrong. If he falls down to the .240.250 range I'll tell everyone how right I was. :)

20% of the season has been played. There's still the other 80% to go.

Bob

jabrch
05-12-2004, 08:05 AM
WTG Willie! Props to you dude - Nice 6 weeks so far.

Now to move you to CF, and bench Rowand. Let's see how that plays out?

surfdudes
05-12-2004, 09:20 AM
I was one of the 5% that gave this guy a chance, but like lip,
I save we reserve judgment until we see him carry this to like allstar break. With the way Uribe is hitting, Valentin might be moved. But we still have ufinished business with the pitching staff............

bobj4400
05-12-2004, 09:29 AM
I am going to reserve the right to reverse course, but for now....i apoligi

patbooyah
05-12-2004, 09:41 AM
i was amazed last night- by the time willie's ground rule double had cleared the wall, he was almost at third base. hes a fast little feller.

hold2dibber
05-12-2004, 09:55 AM
According to today's Trib, he's hitting .327 with a .350 OBP. He's not going to hit .327 on the year, so to keep his OBP in the .350 range (where it needs to be), he's going to have to start walking a lot more. With that said, I've been pleasantly surprised with his ability to hit for average - I think I predicted about .230 for him before the year started. If he continues to hit in the .300 range, he'll be adequate; if he continues to hit in the .300 range and starts to take some walks, he'll be far better than adequate and will make the whole line-up better.

Randar68
05-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
According to today's Trib, he's hitting .327 with a .350 OBP. He's not going to hit .327 on the year, so to keep his OBP in the .350 range (where it needs to be), he's going to have to start walking a lot more. With that said, I've been pleasantly surprised with his ability to hit for average - I think I predicted about .230 for him before the year started. If he continues to hit in the .300 range, he'll be adequate; if he continues to hit in the .300 range and starts to take some walks, he'll be far better than adequate and will make the whole line-up better.

Willie is hitting .327 with an OBP of .376 as of today, May 12th.

Go figure, the Tribune is wrong????

poorme
05-12-2004, 10:57 AM
I've been supporting him for a long time. Then finally about 2 weeks ago, I said "That's it, this guy will never hit." And of course he's been on fire ever since. Baseball will throw you for a loop every time. That's why it's so great.

SSN721
05-12-2004, 11:03 AM

ESPN is where I got .376 OBP. I would think that is right because I think he was .350 a few days ago before he had really started catching fire.

illiniwhitesox
05-12-2004, 11:17 AM
I, up until recently, did not buy the hype and did not see any upside on Harris other than his speed.

I now am beginning to see facits of his game that are encouraging:

1) Going the other way with pitches
2) Aggressive baserunning that opposing teams fear - this impacts the way pitchers throw to batters following Harris.
3) Driving the ball when he has a pitch to groove
4) Becoming a tougher out - making the pitcher throw strikes instead of swinging at anything that looks appetizing.

I'd like to see more discipline at the plate - maybe this comes with more experience. I would also like to see improvement in the field.

However, LY I thought he would be a sure bust. TY, I see him as player we very well might rely on.

Randar68
05-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
2) Aggressive baserunning that opposing teams fear - this impacts the way pitchers throw to batters following Harris.

Did you see the Jose HR? Willie was dancing around just off first base and Ponson had a much longer pause before delivering the pitch.

This is what Ozzie has wanted to do all along. Put pressure on the other team, get them distracted or thinking too much, and make the make the plays, more often than not, they'll make mistakes. I didn't believe that Ozzie had the players to do it, but Uribe and Harris are a huge part of doing that so far...

WinningUgly!
05-12-2004, 11:45 AM

Some of us have never bad-mouthed the guy.

I'll apologize to Bildo Koch if he saves 30 games. :D:

Paulwny
05-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
If he hits well the rest of the year, I'll apologize and gladly admit I was wrong. If he falls down to the .240.250 range I'll tell everyone how right I was. :)

20% of the season has been played. There's still the other 80% to go.

Bob

I'm in this camp, still too early, but so far Willie has been a pleasant surprise.

jeremyb1
05-12-2004, 01:01 PM

Exactly. Harris is not a .330 hitter and that is where all his value lies right now. I said before the season he's a reasonable option and second and I maintain that but Uribe and Valentin (against righties) are both more valuable in my opinion. Will has shown virtually no power or walks at this point so he needs to improve those skills or somehow continue to hit .330 to be a real asset.

SoxxoS
07-08-2004, 05:59 PM
^
MORON

I'll own up to overreacting after 3 weeks into the season. I aint scurred.