PDA

View Full Version : Rogers says B Roberts may be available

Win1ForMe
05-09-2004, 10:23 AM
With Jerry Hairston Jr. about to come off the disabled list, the Orioles are entertaining offers for second baseman Brian Roberts, who was hitting .325 with 14 stolen bases and 24 runs scored in 26 games through Friday.

His trade value has probably gone up so a team getting him might pay a hefty price. Not sure if I would even trade for him given that Willie has played OK and Roberts is likely going through a career "hot streak." But it's something to consider.

Full Article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040508rogers,1,2727465.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
His trade value has probably gone up so a team getting him might pay a hefty price. Not sure if I would even trade for him given that Willie has played OK and Roberts is likely going through a career "hot streak." But it's something to consider.

Full Article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040508rogers,1,2727465.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

The price can never be too high for him. Relatively speaking, maybe, but we're not talking about Robbie Alomar in his prime. I think it would be smart to go for it because based on his career stats Roberts is worthy of being a starting second baseman...can we say the same for Harris?

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Roberts' price is going to be high as long as the Yankees need a 2nd basemen

HomeFish
05-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Roberts' price is going to be high as long as the Yankees need a 2nd basemen

The Yankees are looking for Jose Vidro or Bret Boone, not Brian Roberts.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Is Brian Roberts a grinder? Yes.

We joke about it, but KW was right on in his statement. The only problem is he did nothing to follow through with it. We need a second baseman and a center fielder that play hard and run well. Roberts would be a good start.

My ideal lineup would be to have a super fast center fielder leading off, and Roberts batting ninth with good speed and the ability to turn the lineup over. It would be like having two leadoff hitters in the lineup.

CF in question
Uribe
Ordonez
Thomas
Lee
Konerko
Crede
Olivo
Roberts

and next year

CF
Uribe
Thomas
Ordonez
Konerko
Crede
Reed
Olivo
Roberts

That's a really fast lineup. I think the era of solo homers is coming to an end soon.

iwannago
05-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Is Brian Roberts a grinder? Yes.

We joke about it, but KW was right on in his statement. The only problem is he did nothing to follow through with it. We need a second baseman and a center fielder that play hard and run well. Roberts would be a good start.

My ideal lineup would be to have a super fast center fielder leading off, and Roberts batting ninth with good speed and the ability to turn the lineup over. It would be like having two leadoff hitters in the lineup.

CF in question
Uribe
Ordonez
Thomas
Lee
Konerko
Crede
Olivo
Roberts

and next year

CF
Uribe
Thomas
Ordonez
Konerko
Crede
Reed
Olivo
Roberts

That's a really fast lineup. I think the era of solo homers is coming to an end soon.

Dream on, Roberts will never be a White Sox.

OEO Magglio
05-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
Agreed, and right now it seems as though 2b is the last of the sox worries.

soltrain21
05-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Willie is doing nothing wrong right now, leave him at second.

We need a centerfielder, a left handed one...

ChiSox14305635
05-09-2004, 03:05 PM

We have one. He's currently hitting .312 in Charlotte right now.

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 03:09 PM
What's wrong with Harris...and why do we need to replace him?

Hokiesox
05-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Rodgers must not be reading the Baltimore sun at all. Word here is that Larry Bigbie is the one who is available, not Brian Roberts.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 04:59 PM

Care to explain why?

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
What's wrong with Harris...and why do we need to replace him?

He's not a smart ballplayer at all. Average defense, not good with the double play. Great bench player. Whether he can maintain a .270 average over a season remains to be seen. Even that's not good enough for a guy with zero power and not great base stealing instincts.

beckett21
05-09-2004, 05:10 PM
I am all for us getting Brian Roberts if it means not having to give up too much of our future to get him.

That said, I think we have enough infielders right now. Harris may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he has been servicable to this point. I'll give him his due.

IMO Konerko is rapidly turning into an anchor on this team. I have been trying to avoid the habit of knocking guys or calling them out, so I won't bash him. But he needs to get it together.

CF is another problem, as is the closer situation. Personally I would address any and/or all of these before 2B. Be it via trade or promotion (Reed), these are more urgent.

Again, we are still 17-13, and with any luck still holding onto a share of first when we wake up tomorrow. So life really is not as bad as the taste of this 3-game skid is right now.

I also dispute the fact that the O's are shopping Roberts. Methinks Hairston is the one who will be packing his bags. And on him I'll take a pass. I highly have to doubt that Roberts is going to be traded, and if he is the price may be steeper than people think.

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 05:16 PM
2B doesnt really seem to be a need as Harris and Uribe are both playing very well. CF can be helped easily with Reed and Diaz just might be the answer at the 5th starter spot. I'm not entirely sure what we need though a Freddy Garcia or Carlos Beltran would be just awesome. What we really need is Konerko, Lee and Crede to start hitting and Maggs to hit like we know he can.

soxtalker
05-09-2004, 05:22 PM
If the Orioles are, in fact, interested in shopping Roberts, what holes would they need to fill?

StepsInSC
05-09-2004, 05:27 PM
He's my friend's cousin so GO GET HIM, FREE TIX FOR ME HAHAHA!

lowesox
05-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
Willie is doing nothing wrong right now, leave him at second.

How about another Roberts. Dave Roberts on LA. He'd make a very nice leadoff man.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
How about another Roberts. Dave Roberts on LA. He'd make a very nice leadoff man.

He's "got a hammy" right now, and he's 33 years old or so. But he does have 15 steals already. If this problem persists though, he won't be getting many more and that's all he's worth really. I'm also pretty sure he plays left field, not very good in center despite great speed.

RedPinStripes
05-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Trade for Roberts, Move Wille to CF, **** Rowand. Ozzieball would work much better with Harris and Roberts in the lineup. Roberts looks like one hell of a ball player to me.

fquaye149
05-09-2004, 10:39 PM

i know he's been hitting well, and that he is a good base stealer, and that he PROBABLY would be at teh very least a marginal upgrade over willie

that said.. . . gary roberts is not exactly the stuff dreams are made of