PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle giving up hits ahead in the count

hose
05-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Mark Buehrle has been hit hardest while getting ahead in the count on the hitters. As of today Buehrle is 1-1 with a 5.27 era and has given up 53 hits in 42.2 innings of work.

Batters are hitting a robust .419 with 13 hits in 31 abs after Mark has gotten ahead 0-2 in the count. This is a unreal stat , most hitters are at a severe disadvantage when falling behind 0-2 in the count.

Getting first pitch strike isn't helping Mark much help either. After establishing first pitch strike teams are batting .421 with 8 hits in 19 abs.

I think Mark's numbers will improve drastically if he can start putting away these hitters when he gets ahead 0-2. He doesn't necessarily have to punch them out , but weak defensive swings from the batters will start ending up as easy outs.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by hose
Mark Buehrle has been hit hardest while getting ahead in the count on the hitters. As of today Buehrle is 1-1 with a 5.27 era and has given up 53 hits in 42.2 innings of work.

Batters are hitting a robust .419 with 13 hits in 31 abs after Mark has gotten ahead 0-2 in the count. This is a unreal stat , most hitters are at a severe disadvantage when falling behind 0-2 in the count.

Getting first pitch strike isn't helping Mark much help either. After establishing first pitch strike teams are batting .421 with 8 hits in 19 abs.

I think Mark's numbers will improve drastically if he can start putting away these hitters when he gets ahead 0-2. He doesn't necessarily have to punch them out , but weak defensive swings from the batters will start ending up as easy outs.

This seems to be happening throughout the pitching staff. I know Cooper and Ozzie aren't calling for 0-2 fastballs down the middle, or changeups up in the zone. It's mainly Buehrle and Garland. It's very easy to not give up 0-2 hits, just don't give them anything to hit. When you're down 0-2 your strikezone gets bigger and not only that, you're nervous. I don't see how Buehrle and Garland don't know that by now. They're both just trying to be too fine with their pitches...I know that's always been Garland's problem. But someone's gotta tell them look, on 0-2, 1-2, a guy will often get himself out.

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Mark has never been a strike out pitcher. When you don't strike people out, the ball is put in play. Most of the time the ball in play is an out, but difference between a great outing and a sucky one is 1 out ten balls in play landing for hits. So far this year that has been happening to Mark. Till he starts striking guys out, he performance will fluctuate between good and bad.

PaulDrake
05-09-2004, 04:00 PM
My point has been brought up before so I am breaking no new ground here. Buerhle has gotten progressively worse by almost every statistical measure each year. He is continuing that trend into this season. I would like to see him be the winner he was in 01 and 02, but as of now I'm very concerned. He looks more and more like a very hittable pitcher, who may be in the near future be spoken of in the past tense. I know he has a lot of fans here, believe it or not I'm one of them too. A hard look at his game by game breakdowns will tell you what you need to know. It's time for Mark to bear down and reestablish himself as one of the premier pitchers in the AL.