PDA

View Full Version : Pitching of the Opposition

soxtalker
05-09-2004, 09:28 AM
The recent Sox hitting problems are well-documented on this board. While we tend to focus on what our hitters are or are not doing, I started thinking about the other teams' contributions to this slump. Of course, it could be that we've run into hot pitching. However, I'm wondering if the opposing teams have adjusted their approach to the Sox, based on scouting and film of the first several games of the season. Has anyone noticed a change in the way that the opposing teams are pitching to us?

MRKARNO
05-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Pitchers that have made us look really bad:

Vazquez-Awesome pitcher
Rodrigo Lopez-Best long reliever in baseball
Miguel Batista-ERA around 3.40 in 2 of the last 3 seasons
Doug Waechter-I'm clueless
Paul Abbot-Ditto
Ted Lily-Pretty Good pitcher

So other than the two TB pitchers our problems have been understandable. We'll turn it around today against Justin Miller.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Pitchers that have made us look really bad:

Vazquez-Awesome pitcher
Rodrigo Lopez-Best long reliever in baseball
Miguel Batista-ERA around 3.40 in 2 of the last 3 seasons
Doug Waechter-I'm clueless
Paul Abbot-Ditto
Ted Lily-Pretty Good pitcher

So other than the two TB pitchers our problems have been understandable. We'll turn it around today against Justin Miller.

You know Vazquez isn't nearly as great as we made him look. Granted, he could've been just "on" those two games, or he might just have our number so to speak. But I've been following him on my fantasy team and he hasn't come close to matching what he did to us those two games. He's gotten roughed up a few times.

Rodrigo Lopez wasn't the culprit in that game, it was the original starter whose name I can't recall. We should've pummelled him but we didn't.

Waechter....I was at that game. Moving on.

I'm sick and tired of getting beat by Paul Abbott. He sucks.

Ted Lilly is decent at best, I wouldn't say pretty good IMO.

I think there is a problem, it's not just that we've gotten shut down by good pitchers.

Dadawg_77
05-09-2004, 03:49 PM
The thing is when every pitcher is on while facing you, it isn't the pitcher.

soxtalker
05-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Do these pitchers have a common style, or were they favoring certain types of pitching? For example, we had problems in the past with breaking balls, so pitchers started feeding us a lot of them.