PDA

View Full Version : Time to Hang it Up, Sandy

chisoxt
05-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Let me preface this post by saying that I have always loved Sandy Alamor, Jr as a person, and apprecieted his skills as a catcher........with Cleveland. That said, is there any doubt that this guys skills have diminished so much that it's time for him to say good bye? The fact that we are wasting a roster spot by carrying three catchers is ludicrous. Offensively, he seems to have a good April, and then, tails off. Defensively, he is below average. While he did a good job w/ Schoenweiss today, his inability to throw out a slow-footed runner in the eighth and, allowing Cotts to throw that meatball pitch were devastating.

If you want Olivo to learn from Sandy, fine. Then hire Alamor as a coach.

CHISOXFAN13
05-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
Let me preface this post by saying that I have always loved Sandy Alamor, Jr as a person, and apprecieted his skills as a catcher........with Cleveland. That said, is there any doubt that this guys skills have diminished so much that it's time for him to say good bye? The fact that we are wasting a roster spot by carrying three catchers is ludicrous. Offensively, he seems to have a good April, and then, tails off. Defensively, he is below average. While he did a good job w/ Schoenweiss today, his inability to throw out a slow-footed runner in the eighth and, allowing Cotts to throw that meatball pitch were devastating.

If you are going to cpmplain about wasting a roster spot then moan about Burke being up. Alomar got a key double today and then was stranded because of our inability to get people over and in.

This is a strech, IMO.

white sox bill
05-08-2004, 06:50 PM
I consider Burke borderline major league himself..so really what choice do we have as far as backup catchers? Rock and a hard place?

Brian26
05-08-2004, 07:09 PM
This is a ridiculous argument. Sandy is doing a great job, and it's like having a 2nd pitching coach on the team. He's had some big hits this year, too. You can't ask for much more than that.

BKozi
05-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Also, if I remember correctly there are several pitchers on the Sox staff that want him as their personal catcher. If the pitchers trust him and he can still manage the staff, I think that we have plenty of room on the roster for him.

Rex Hudler
05-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt

I didn't see the game today, but I do know that Alomar did not "allow" Cotts to throw a meatball pitch. Whether the call of a changeup was the right call or not, it is still Cotts responsibility to locate it. A changeup at the knees on the outside corner might just have done the trick.

Many times, it doesn't really matter what pitch a pitcher throws as long as he locates what he is throwing well.

doublem23
05-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
This is a ridiculous argument. Sandy is doing a great job, and it's like having a 2nd pitching coach on the team. He's had some big hits this year, too. You can't ask for much more than that.

Agreed... I'd be all for Sandy retiring and becoming a coach if we had another viable MLB catcher, but if our choice is Sandy Alomar or Jaime Burke, I'll at least take the guy that has tasted baseball glory.

beckett21
05-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

If you are going to cpmplain about wasting a roster spot then moan about Burke being up. Alomar got a key double today and then was stranded because of our inability to get people over and in.

This is a strech, IMO.

Yes.

Originally posted by Brian26

Yes.

Originally posted by BKozi
Also, if I remember correctly there are several pitchers on the Sox staff that want him as their personal catcher. If the pitchers trust him and he can still manage the staff, I think that we have plenty of room on the roster for him.

Yes.

Originally posted by Rex Hudler

I didn't see the game today, but I do know that Alomar did not "allow" Cotts to throw a meatball pitch. Whether the call of a changeup was the right call or not, it is still Cotts responsibility to locate it. A changeup at the knees on the outside corner might just have done the trick.

Many times, it doesn't really matter what pitch a pitcher throws as long as he locates what he is throwing well.

And Yes.

(Guess who just learned how to use the multiple quote function? LOOK OUT NOW!!! WooHoo!!!!)

:bandance:

batmanZoSo
05-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I'll at least take the guy that has tasted baseball glory.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/sandy.jpg

"Taste a like paella."

TornLabrum
05-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/sandy.jpg

"Taste a like paella."

I wonder what Moises Alou thinks it tastes like.

SpartanSoxFan
05-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I wonder what Moises Alou thinks it tastes like.

Probably his urine.