PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Nice Pitch Cotts Post-Game Thread

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Nice pitch, Neal. Does Don Cooper tell these guys how to pitch with 2 strikes? How can you get beat by a guy who can't catch up to your heater...by a change up? A change up down the plate. It sounds like Cotts has been taking tips from Garland.

Although Crede hit a two run homer, he has got to stop swinging for the fences. This isn't little league. Every At bat is either a foul-out or a homer. Walker better get him straightened out.

Carlos Lee shouldn't be playing at the moment. He needs to have a day off.

That being said, it's our first two bad games in a row of the season. As stated before, we aren't going to win crap without CLee, Konerko, Maggs or Crede swinging the bat really well.

Good outing by Show. Nice suprise. We had a nice suprise last year in Loiaza and it didn't get us anywhere, though.

South Side
05-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Why is this happening to us? :whiner:

chisoxmike
05-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Wow. That was horrible!!!! Talk about no timely hitting. Just plan sucking all around today.

HomeFish
05-08-2004, 03:33 PM
This team will never win the division.

Were it not for Minnesota playing on the West Coast we would be down by 2 or 3 games. That's a nice thing that works out in our favor right now, but imagine what's gonna happen when we have a West Coast roadtrip and the Twins are playing a team like Toronto.

habibharu
05-08-2004, 03:33 PM
i dont like that ozzie let perez bat. why wouldnt you bring up jose or rowand, a guy with some pop

chisoxmike
05-08-2004, 03:34 PM
i dont like that ozzie let perez bat. why wouldnt you bring up jose or rowand, a guy with some pop

I totally agree.

South Side
05-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish

Were it not for Minnesota playing on the West Coast we would be down by 2 or 3 games. That's a nice thing that works out in our favor right now, but imagine what's gonna happen when we have a West Coast roadtrip and the Twins are playing a team like Toronto.

Please, just stop now. You act as if we're never going to win another game. I know everyone is upset but let's suck it up and not be so dramatic. We played bad baseball the last 2 days and we're not the only ones that know it. Ozzie knows and so does the team. They're going to work on stuff and it's going to be alright and hopefully the Twins will lose tonight and we will still be a game ahead.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Oakland has got Hudson on the bump, so hopefully the Twins will lose again. God knows we are going to lose when we face Hudson.

habibharu
05-08-2004, 03:37 PM
i just got three words: LETS GO A'S!

SEALgep
Cotts blows a fastball by him up for strike two, and Sandy calls for a change up over the plate! What's that about? :angry:

habibharu
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Oakland has got Hudson on the bump, so hopefully the Twins will lose again. God knows we are going to lose when we face Hudson. come on man dont be so pessimistic! its just two games. and we're still in first!

depy48
05-08-2004, 03:38 PM
schoe pitched a great game. i'm not going to put much of the blame on cotts....sox hitters didnt advance baserunners, or for that matter hit at all. thats what pisses me off...leadoff double, then nothing.... lee is getting on my bad side...i'm ready for gload to play left, willie in center, uribe at second, valentin at short.
willie had a good day at the plate, on the basepaths he sucked.

habibharu
Originally posted by SEALgep
Cotts blows a fastball by him up for strike two, and Sandy calls for a change up over the plate! What's that about? :angry: WHY THE HELL IS SANDY PLAYING ANYWAY?!! OLIVO IS PLAYING GREAT RIGHT NOW! *** OZZIE! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

SoxxoS
Cotts blows a fastball by him up for strike two, and Sandy calls for a change up over the plate! What's that about? :angry:

I don't think that location was what Cotts had in mind.

BTW...did you guys know Uribe is a notorious April hitter? I didn't know that...and it scares me.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by depy48
schoe pitched a great game. i'm not going to put much of the blame on cotts....sox hitters didnt advance baserunners, or for that matter hit at all. thats what pisses me off...leadoff double, then nothing.... lee is getting on my bad side...i'm ready for gload to play left, willie in center, uribe at second, valentin at short.
willie had a good day at the plate, on the basepaths he sucked.

A Gload/Harris/Ordonez outfield might be the worst defensive outfield in Sox history.

jeremyb1
05-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by habibharu

I hope the club was real concerned about playing Jose on the turf again today. Otherwise it is horrendous to play him yesterday against a lefty and sit him today against a righty and especailly not to pinch hit him against a righty.

depy48
05-08-2004, 03:41 PM
A Gload/Harris/Ordonez outfield might be the worst defensive outfield in Sox history.

willie has good range, and i'm ready to trade defense for offense, then put rowand has a defensive replacement in left for gload late in the game when the sox have the lead, preferably more than a single run.

balboner
05-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Sox really, really need a consistent CF. Timo had three of the weakest ABs I've seen in this game.

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 03:42 PM
I don't think that location was what Cotts had in mind.

BTW...did you guys know Uribe is a notorious April hitter? I didn't know that...and it scares me. Don't be scared, Uribe never was hitting the other way like he does now. Besides, he's about the age where he's ready to take off. Kind of like Beltre for the Dodgers. Despite the location of Cott's pitch, it was a change up. He just got done blowing a fastball right by him. The guy wasn't even close. You give him another, that's common sense.

habibharu
05-08-2004, 03:43 PM
if it makes you guys feel any better, the rockies tied up the scrubs with a two run homer by the pitcher!

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by depy48
willie has good range, and i'm ready to trade defense for offense, then put rowand has a defensive replacement in left for gload late in the game when the sox have the lead, preferably more than a single run.

Gload isn't exactly tearing the cover off the ball, either.

I think it's time for the Jeremy Reed experiment to start. I hate to pull the trigger this fast, but we need a left handed bat to get on base. Plain and simple. Matter of fact, it would be a perfect time to bring him up, and start Rowand in LF, and sit CLee's non-hitting ass.

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
if it makes you guys feel any better, the rockies tied up the scrubs with a two run homer by the pitcher! And Chip is gleefully updating our loss. :angry:

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Don't be scared, Uribe never was hitting the other way like he does now. Besides, he's about the age where he's ready to take off. Kind of like Beltre for the Dodgers. Despite the location of Cott's pitch, it was a change up. He just got done blowing a fastball right by him. The guy wasn't even close. You give him another, that's common sense.

I meant to say "what Sandy had in mind." But I don't think Cotts or Sandy had that location in mind. Cotts is young, but he needs to know these things. I almost threw up after the pitch.

SEALgep

I think it's time for the Jeremy Reed experiment to start. I hate to pull the trigger this fast, but we need a left handed bat to get on base. Plain and simple. Matter of fact, it would be a perfect time to bring him up, and start Rowand in LF, and sit CLee's non-hitting ass. Gload hasn't gotten any regular at bats. If he was, he could very well be hitting good right now.

depy48

I think it's time for the Jeremy Reed experiment to start. I hate to pull the trigger this fast, but we need a left handed bat to get on base. Plain and simple. Matter of fact, it would be a perfect time to bring him up, and start Rowand in LF, and sit CLee's non-hitting ass.

that might be the best plan....carlos has been a HUGE disappointment thus far...

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Gload hasn't gotten any regular at bats. If he was, he could very well be hitting good right now.

You can say that about a lot of hitters. CLee is getting regular at bats, and he can't hit my fastball.

SEALgep
I meant to say "what Sandy had in mind." But I don't think Cotts or Sandy had that location in mind. Cotts is young, but he needs to know these things. I almost threw up after the pitch. Cotts should know, but he just does what he's told on the mound. Alomar should have known better. He knew he messed up too.

habibharu
And Chip is gleefully updating our loss. :angry: yeah well that pansy wont be around for along. he should be let go after this season!

depy48
Gload hasn't gotten any regular at bats. If he was, he could very well be hitting good right now.

thats my thinking as well

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 03:47 PM
You can say that about a lot of hitters. CLee is getting regular at bats, and he can't hit my fastball. But you're making a determination about a person who hasn't gotten the at bats. Since C Lee sucks right now, that means Gload does too?

mdep524
05-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Give me a "C"!!!

...an "O"!!

..an "R"...

Well, you see where I am going with this. That's right, it's me, Mr. Corspeball back to reigster my pure :angry: :angry: at yet another pathetic attack led by our righthanded glut of crap.

You guys can all go ahead and say the ol' "it was just one game" routine, but when was the last time the Sox HIT? I mean really HIT? They didn't hit too well in Toronto this series so far, not in Baltimore and barely at all on the homestand vs. Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Toronto-- not exactly pitching powerhouses.

We shouldn't have to make excuses for Lee or Konerko for their slumps. These are big money major league players, why do they slump soooo often?

I will reiterate:

WE MUST SHAKE UP THIS LINE UP BY TRADING OR BENCHING LEE OR KONERKO.

We can't put this kind of pressure on our pitchers every frickin' night, and after 3 years of seeing these guys pop out I think something should be done.

OK, now feel free to flame me for "overreacting." :D:

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 03:49 PM
But your making a determination about a person who hasn't gotten the at bats. Since C Lee sucks right now, that means Gload does too?

No, but Gload has gotten to the plate and I believe is hitting under .250. He has looked lost at the plate as well. We know CLee can hit major league pitching. We just can't "hope" on Gload. especially since Gload replacing Lee in the outfield doesn't make us any better defensively.

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
Give me a "C"!!!

...an "O"!!

..an "R"...

Well, you see where I am going with this. That's right, it's me, Mr. Corspeball back to reigster my pure :angry: :angry: at yet another pathetic attack led by our righthanded glut of crap.

You guys can all go ahead and say the ol' "it was just one game" routine, but when was the last time the Sox HIT? I mean really HIT? They didn't hit too well in Toronto this series so far, not in Baltimore and barely at all on the homestand vs. Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Toronto-- not exactly pitching powerhouses.

We shouldn't have to make excuses for Lee or Konerko for their slumps. These are big money major league players, why do they slump soooo often?

I will reiterate:

We can't put this kind of pressure on our pitchers every frickin' night, and after 3 years of seeing these guys pop out I think something should be done.

OK, now feel free to flame me for "overreacting." :D: I'm not opposed to trading Lee at this point. We've waited forever for him to have year like last year, and he hasn't been able to give an indication that he can ever do it again. Maybe when the weather heats up, I certainly hope so.

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 03:52 PM
No, but Gload has gotten to the plate and I believe is hitting under .250. He has looked lost at the plate as well. We know CLee can hit major league pitching. We just can't "hope" on Gload. especially since Gload replacing Lee in the outfield doesn't make us any better defensively. They weren't regular at bats. When he came out of ST he hit very well, because he was getting at bats. Once they shrunk, so did his average.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 03:52 PM

I will reiterate:

OK, now feel free to flame me for "overreacting." :D:

It's a good point. All our hitters are right handed...and "2nd half hitters"

Konerko is pulling his May routine again. I absolutely think it's time to trade Konerko.

As far as Im concerned...Konerko, Lee and Valentin can all be traded. We have a perfect replacement for Lee in Jeremy Reed. Valentin or Konerko can fetch us some pitching help. Plus, we can play Frank at first everyday...not to mention shave almost 20 million off the payroll.

We don't need to trade all those guys (I don't mind Valentin), but you are right...Lee or Konerko needs to go. We can't trade Lee now, though, as his stock it too low.

depy48
05-08-2004, 03:53 PM

what teams would take konerko or lee..and what could we get for them...
thats the question

HomeFish
They weren't regular at bats. When he came out of ST he hit very well, because he was getting at bats. Once they shrunk, so did his average.

You mean it had nothing to do with him swinging at 2-3 balls in the dirt every at-bat?

chisoxmike

YEAH! TELL ME ABOUT IT! The last time this team really hit was the Yankees series!

I don't think trading Carlos or Paulie will benefit this team at all!
But shake this lineup up and see whats happens.
How about this...

Harris
Lee
Ordonez
Thomas
Uribe
Konerko
Valentin
Crede
Olivo/Alomar

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 03:55 PM
I think Gload is Graffanino part 2 that plays the corners rather than the middle. A guy that isn't an everyday player, but can fill in off the bench.

He better start hitting without getting regular at bats, b/c there isn't a spot for him.

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Plus, we can play Frank at first everyday...not to mention shave almost 20 million off the payroll.
Gload would play first over Frank.

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 03:56 PM
You mean it had nothing to do with him swinging at 2-3 balls in the dirt every at-bat? Not getting regular at bats coincides with that. Besides, it's hardly every at bat.

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 03:58 PM
I think Gload is Graffanino part 2 that plays the corners rather than the middle. A guy that isn't an everyday player, but can fill in off the bench.

He better start hitting without getting regular at bats, b/c there isn't a spot for him. There is if they make a trade as you suggested.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Gload would play first over Frank.

I don't know about that.

Wait until inter-league, when Frank starts at first. If he hits like his history tell us he will when playing 1B, Ozzie can't sit him. Especially for Gload.

mdep524
05-08-2004, 03:59 PM
We don't need to trade all those guys (I don't mind Valentin), but you are right...Lee or Konerko needs to go. We can't trade Lee now, though, as his stock it too low.

And that's what burns me up even more. ALL off season I was saying the Sox should trade Lee now as his value is very high. A lot of (not "all," but "a lot of") people were adamantly against this move, but I was 100% hoping that we would cash in. Now, we probably couldn't get very much if anything for him.

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 03:59 PM
I don't know about that.

Wait until inter-league, when Frank starts at first. If he hits like his history tell us he will when playing 1B, Ozzie can't sit him. Especially for Gload. Inter-league isn't the same as an everyday lineup.

Brian26
05-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Amazingly enough, this is only the second time this year we've lost two games in a row. We haven't lost three in a row this season. This loss sucked, but let's not get too down. Keep things in perspective. Worst thing that happens at the end of the day is that we're tied for first place.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 04:00 PM
There is if they make a trade as you suggested.

You're argument of Gload getting more at bats doesn't hold much water until he proves he can hit big league pitching. There won't be a trade until/if he can do that.

Konerko OR Lee will be traded, not both, IMO. It will probably be Konerko, but at this point...who wants him?

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Inter-league isn't the same as an everyday lineup.

Not the point. It could be if Frank kills the ball while playing 1B.

Nard
05-08-2004, 04:01 PM
That's been my ignorant mentality for awhile Brian, but it is true, we haven't really hit since the Yankees.

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 04:02 PM
You're argument of Gload getting more at bats doesn't hold much water until he proves he can hit big league pitching. There won't be a trade until/if he can do that.

Konerko OR Lee will be traded, not both, IMO. It will probably be Konerko, but at this point...who wants him? So he has to come through as a pinch hitter in order to justify a trade?

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 04:03 PM
So he has to come through as a pinch hitter in order to justify a trade?

Absoulutely. YOU CAN'T PIN YOUR HOPES ON A GUY THAT HAS NEVER HIT BIG LEAGUE PITCHING.

SEALgep
Not the point. It could be if Frank kills the ball while playing 1B. He does, but he can't throw. There's a reason he isn't there, and it's not PK.

SEALgep
Absoulutely. YOU CAN'T PIN YOUR HOPES ON A GUY THAT HAS NEVER HIT BIG LEAGUE PITCHING. Of course he hasn't hit it, he's never faced it.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 04:04 PM
He does, but he can't throw. There's a reason he isn't there, and it's not PK.

For the amount of times a 1Baseman throws...if he is hitting .340 while playing first...you take the offense over the "possible" defensive miscues.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Of course he hasn't hit it, he's never faced it.

And what do you think that reason is?

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 04:06 PM
For the amount of times a 1Baseman throws...if he is hitting .340 while playing first...you take the offense over the "possible" defensive miscues. You can't guarantee his offense will improve that much. And if it doesn't,the only thing we did was create a defensive liability.

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 04:07 PM
And what do you think that reason is? Because he was always behind an awesome first baseman already. Throughout his career he's proved he can hit.

OEO Magglio
05-08-2004, 04:09 PM

Konerko OR Lee will be traded, not both, IMO. It will probably be Konerko, but at this point...who wants him?
It better be carlos if kw is going to trade one of them, and I hope he does trade lee, for one we have reed waiting in the minors to take his place and also the sox could probably get more for lee imo. But there is no doubt that the sox lineup needs to be retooled right now, cause they flat out suck right now.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Because he was always behind an awesome first baseman already. Throughout his career he's proved he can hit.

They can find a spot for you if you can really rake.

I like Gload, but I don't think he is an everyday player.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 04:12 PM
:KW

:flips over buffet table:

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 04:14 PM
They can find a spot for you if you can really rake.

I like Gload, but I don't think he is an everyday player. Well neither of us can really say for certain until he gets the at bats.

Nard
05-08-2004, 04:18 PM
The Twins just hit three straight singles, all with two outs, to get an early 1-0 lead in the first.

Wish we could do that.

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Nard
The Twins just hit three straight singles, all with two outs, to get an early 1-0 lead in the first.

Wish we could do that. A's got them right back.

batmanZoSo
05-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Valentin should've bat in the ninth. Timo is pretty much good for nothing. He hit that last chopper a mile high and couldn't beat it out. Does he hustle?

Cotts made an incredibly stupid pitch and he's an incredibly foolish youngster. What are you gonna do, he's done a great job overall. The fact of the matter is, the poor hitting just lost us two in a row. We had ample scoring opportunities to where Cotts' gopher ball would've only tied it, or not even that. And if we had been ahead, Damaso probably would've pitched the 8th.

Walker is doing a piss poor job. This team can't hit a damn thing. They can't even get a sacrifice bunt down. My money says Lee doesn't play the next game. I think if we've been noticing he needs to sit for three days now, Ozzie surely notices.

batmanZoSo
05-08-2004, 04:37 PM

It's gotta be Lee. For one, I think his value is higher. If you were to base it on recent track record, it's astronomically higher. Put Reed in left, keep Maggs, get a cheap fast center fielder who can lead off--e.g. a CF Juan Uribe. Kenny, work your magic.

ChiSox7
05-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Nard

Wish we could do that.

Seriously. When was the last time we had three hits in a row PERIOD. Twins have done it 3-4 times in the last TWO days.

Our offense is awful right now. We got out to a 17-10 record with smoke and mirrors and an awesome job by our pitchers. We played crappy teams too, so that didn't hurt.

Right now we either hit a HR to score, or dont score at all. No manufacturing. No base hit after base hit. Nothing.

It's sweet to say the worst thing we could be after today is in first place, but if we keep hitting like that, we'll soon find ourselves hoping to only stay 4 or 5 games down.

Luck runs out eventually. We need to hit. Great job by our pitchers against a TOUGH lineup. pitiful job by our hitters against one of the worst pitching staffs in the league.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
Luck runs out eventually.

And CLee's, Crede's, Maggs's and Thomas's struggles (I don't think he has gotten a hit with RISP, yet) will end eventually as well.

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 05:12 PM
And CLee's, Crede's, Maggs's and Thomas's struggles (I don't think he has gotten a hit with RISP, yet) will end eventually as well. Crede may not be hitting for average, but he's certainly producing.

chisox06
05-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I hope the club was real concerned about playing Jose on the turf again today. Otherwise it is horrendous to play him yesterday against a lefty and sit him today against a righty and especailly not to pinch hit him against a righty.

I think Hawk had the same mindset we all did when he said "and here comes little Timo Perez."

Overall that game sucked a big one. Frank again couldnt come up with a clutch hit (much like yesterday), although his double did help. Lee needs to be benched, thats all their is to it.

Cott's changeup is was gets me the most. He had him off balance with the fastball, got 2 by him. A changeup is the WORST pitch you could call in that situation, and he smacked it outa the park. Bats are getting cold, I just hope we dont have a month of corpseball ahead of us.

beckett21
05-08-2004, 05:59 PM
:chickenlittle

First place, people. Pitiful, yes it has been pitiful. It's May 8th. Patience is a virtue. The overall performance today outside of Schoeneweis made me want to puke. But it is a little early to be pushing the panic button. This team can hit. We KNOW they can hit. It's gonna happen. If we keep pitching like this all year (Cotts excluded), good things will happen.

I'm glad some of you don't have access to nuclear arms. Sheesh.

CHISOXFAN13
05-08-2004, 06:02 PM

Minnesota is playing one horrible team in Seattle and abn average at best team in Oakland. I'm still trying to figure out why people think the vaunted West Coast teams in Oakland and Seattle are good.

Win1ForMe
05-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Absoulutely. YOU CAN'T PIN YOUR HOPES ON A GUY THAT HAS NEVER HIT BIG LEAGUE PITCHING.
It's time for the Jeremy Reed experiment to begin.

So how do you reconcile those two thoughts? I just wanted to be a smart ass and point that out. :D:

...and I do agree with you on Reed.

Win1ForMe
05-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
Seriously. When was the last time we had three hits in a row PERIOD. Twins have done it 3-4 times in the last TWO days.

Our offense is awful right now. We got out to a 17-10 record with smoke and mirrors and an awesome job by our pitchers. We played crappy teams too, so that didn't hurt.

Right now we either hit a HR to score, or dont score at all. No manufacturing. No base hit after base hit. Nothing.

Agreed, it's tough to stomach these performances. And the guy that should take the blame is...

"We need to bring in some more grind... err, right-handed power hitters to balance out the lineup"

CWSGuy406
05-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Wasn't Seattle looking to get rid of Garcia?

I'd offer Lee and Borchard, with perhaps a younger mid-level pitching prospects as well for him. Maybe two mid-level guys. Would they do that? Should we?

I agree with beckett, though. We're sucking awfully bad, and our offense is playing awful, yet we manage to stay in ballgames and are still in first place.

If we can win tommorow, we finish this six game road trip off 3-3. Isn't that our goal, play about 500, perhaps a bit better, on the road, and play about 600+ at home? We all know how this team plays at home...

beckett21
05-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Agreed, it's tough to stomach these performances. And the guy that should take the blame is...

"We need to bring in some more grind... err, right-handed power hitters to balance out the lineup"

Jiminy crickits.....there's already a KW hater thread.

FWIW I didn't see him swing a bat today or fail to move a runner over.

"Damn you Billy Beane! This is all your fault! I KNEW you were trying to trick me by throwing in Neal Cotts. Why must you always embarass me???"

Give it a rest.

beckett21
05-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Wasn't Seattle looking to get rid of Garcia?

I'd offer Lee and Borchard, with perhaps a younger mid-level pitching prospects as well for him. Maybe two mid-level guys. Would they do that? Should we?

I agree with beckett, though. We're sucking awfully bad, and our offense is playing awful, yet we manage to stay in ballgames and are still in first place.

If we can win tommorow, we finish this six game road trip off 3-3. Isn't that our goal, play about 500, perhaps a bit better, on the road, and play about 600+ at home? We all know how this team plays at home...

Lee for Garcia is sounding awfully good right about now. They have Ibanez in LF and Winn in CF, so they would need to do some shuffling. I'd love to see them trade us Winn as well. He has been slumping so far this year, but he is much better than his current numbers indicate. With the way Garcia is pitching right now, my guess is that they would have to be blown away to trade him before July, unless they are afraid he is going to start getting lit up which I don't see happening. He will command a nice price near the trade deadline.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Got to love Frank's .211 average with RISP. Hey Frank, you want some more money? HIT WITH PEOPLE ON BASE.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 07:01 PM
So how do you reconcile those two thoughts? I just wanted to be a smart ass and point that out. :D:

...and I do agree with you on Reed.

2 different types of players...those that have had the chance in the big leagues (Gload).

And those that haven't. (Reed).

Brian26
05-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
I think Hawk had the same mindset we all did when he said "and here comes little Timo Perez."

I caught that too. Hawk will always, in a subtle way, let you know what he's thinking.

HomeFish
05-08-2004, 07:14 PM
A's are down 3-2 in their half of the 10th. Things aren't looking too good.

johnny_mostil
05-08-2004, 07:15 PM

No way.

1982. Kemp LF/Baines CF/Kittle RF, three times in September.

johnny_mostil
05-08-2004, 07:17 PM
A's are down 3-2 in their half of the 10th. Things aren't looking too good.

The A's super-rookie Bobby Crosby dropped a pop fly to let Shannon Stewart score from first with two outs. Dropped. Only the Twins get that lucky. The Sox hit twice as many popups and they all got caught.

RKMeibalane
05-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Got to love Frank's .211 average with RISP. Hey Frank, you want some more money? HIT WITH PEOPLE ON BASE.

There's an easy way to fix this problem: put Frank at first. He was having the same problem last season at this time, and then once he was moved to first, he started getting clutch hits all the time.

I hope Ozzie Guillen reads these boards.

HomeFish
05-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Relish the past few days; it will be the last time this season we are in first place.

beckett21
05-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Relish the past few days; it will be the last time this season we are in first place.

Man 'Fish, you're quick on the draw with the bad news.....

So, what's our *tragic number* ?

:)

SEALgep
05-08-2004, 07:25 PM
2 different types of players...those that have had the chance in the big leagues (Gload).

And those that haven't. (Reed). Gload hasn't had a chance in the big leagues, that's very misleading. Everyone says you don't want to bring up Reed in a scenerio where he isn't playing every day. There's a reason for that, and it's the same reason why Gload struggles with sparatic at bats. Let's see Reed come up under the same circumstances as Gload and perform substantially better.

SoxxoS
05-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Gload hasn't had a chance in the big leagues, that's very misleading. Everyone says you don't want to bring up Reed in a scenerio where he isn't playing every day. There's a reason for that, and it's the same reason why Gload struggles with sparatic at bats. Let's see Reed come up under the same circumstances as Gload and perform substantially better.

Are you Ross Gload, or his brother?

batmanZoSo
05-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Are you Ross Gload, or his brother?

I'm Danny Tartabull's half-cousin. :cool:

Win1ForMe
05-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Jiminy crickits.....there's already a KW hater thread.

FWIW I didn't see him swing a bat today or fail to move a runner over.

"Damn you Billy Beane! This is all your fault! I KNEW you were trying to trick me by throwing in Neal Cotts. Why must you always embarass me???"

Give it a rest.

Huh? Wha? Why are you bringing up Billy Beane and Neal Cotts?

Kenny stuck his foot in his mouth when, in his little post-season press conference, he proclaimed a need to get more "grinders" (notice, *he saw the problem himself*). So what does Kenny do? Absolutely nothing... same lineup, same all or nothing offense, all HR's, all the time.

Interestingly enough, we lead the AL in home runs but are only 6th in total runs scored.

beckett21
05-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Huh? Wha? Why are you bringing up Billy Beane and Neal Cotts?

Kenny stuck his foot in his mouth when, in his little post-season press conference, he proclaimed a need to get more "grinders" (notice, *he saw the problem himself*). So what does Kenny do? Absolutely nothing... same lineup, same all or nothing offense, all HR's, all the time.

Interestingly enough, we lead the AL in home runs but are only 6th in total runs scored.

Why do I bring them up? It was SARCASM .

So today's loss is squarely on Kenny's shoulders huh?

How about that we are in first place....then shouldn't he get a little credit for THAT??

Just more proof of how the KW haters will pounce on any opportunity to knock the man. Win, and it's thanks to Guillen who happened to be a lucky hire.

We lose today and it's Kenny's fault?? Unbelievable.

Maybe Kenny did as much as he was allowed to do given the current payroll mandate.

:reinsy

"Yeah, it's ALL Kenny's fault. I have nothing to do with the day to day operations of the club. "

Unbelievable.

voodoochile
05-08-2004, 08:57 PM

How about that we are in first place....then shouldn't he get a little credit for THAT??

Just more proof of how the KW haters will pounce on any opportunity to knock the man. Win, and it's thanks to Guillen who happened to be a lucky hire.

Maybe Kenny did as much as he was allowed to do given the current payroll mandate.

"Yeah, it's ALL Kenny's fault. I have nothing to do with the day to day operations of the club. "

Unbelievable.

It's a little wordy, but that's POTW material right there.

You can't have it both ways, people.

PHG - put on the pointy cap, you're on...

PaleHoseGeorge
05-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It's a little wordy, but that's POTW material right there.

You can't have it both ways, people.

PHG - put on the pointy cap, you're on...

:hawk
"I luv it when you analyze."

Brian26
05-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by johnny_mostil
No way.

1982. Kemp LF/Baines CF/Kittle RF, three times in September.

I recall Baines playing center a few times even after that (maybe in '83 or '84 when Rudy Law was hurt), but I definitely don't remember Kittle in RF. Interesting stuff. Kemp was horrible in the field, too.

Brian26
05-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Game Played on Saturday, September 4, 1982 (N) at Comiskey Park I

TEX A 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 0 4 0
CHI A 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 2 x - 4 10 0

BATTING
Texas Rangers AB R H RBI BB K PO A
Wright cf 4 0 1 0 0 0 5 0
O'Brien lf 4 0 0 0 0 0 1 1
Grubb dh 3 0 1 0 1 1 0 0
Parrish rf 3 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
Putnam 1b 4 0 1 0 0 1 6 2
Sundberg c 4 0 0 0 0 0 5 1
Stein 3b 3 0 1 0 0 0 1 1
Richardt 2b 3 0 0 0 0 0 2 0
Dent ss 3 0 0 0 0 0 1 1
Tanana p 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 3
Totals 31 0 4 0 1 2 24 9

FIELDING -
DP: 1.

BATTING -
2B: Grubb (13,off Dotson); Putnam (4,off Dotson).
HBP: Parrish (4,by Dotson).

Chicago White Sox AB R H RBI BB K PO A
Nyman 1b 3 0 1 1 0 0 10 0
Squires 1b 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0
Bernazard 2b 4 1 1 0 0 0 4 8
Baines cf,rf 3 0 1 0 0 1 3 0
Luzinski dh 3 2 2 1 1 0 0 0
Fisk c 3 0 0 0 1 0 2 0
Kemp lf 4 0 3 2 0 1 3 0
Kittle rf 3 1 1 0 0 1 0 0
Kuntz cf 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
V. Law ss 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 3
Rodriguez 3b 3 0 1 0 0 1 1 3
Dotson p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Totals 29 4 10 4 2 5 27 15

BATTING -
2B: Kittle (1,off Tanana).
3B: Kemp (1,off Tanana).
HR: Luzinski (17,3rd inning off Tanana 0 on, 2 out).
SH: V. Law (4,off Tanana); Nyman (2,off Tanana); Baines (1,off Tanana).
IBB: Luzinski (9,by Tanana).

BASERUNNING -
CS: Nyman (2,2nd base by Tanana/Sundberg).

PITCHING
Texas Rangers IP H HR R ER BB K
Tanana L(6-16) 8 10 1 4 4 2 5

Chicago White Sox IP H HR R ER BB K
Dotson W(10-11) 9 4 0 0 0 1 2
HBP: Dotson (4,Parrish).
IBB: Tanana (10,Luzinski).

Umpires: Tim McClelland, Jerry Neudecker, Drew Coble, George Maloney
Time of Game: 2:10 Attendance: 23095

batmanZoSo
05-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Attendance: 23095

That's intersting, people. You got about 8 million people in the area here, I would imagine somewhere around 5 just blind guessing 22 years ago and the Sox hosted a crowd that we struggle to average now, and often don't match--I know they didn't come close the two times I went this year. Any correlation to Reinsdorf? :smile: :o:

1982 as I understand it was not a particularly good year, and that was a pretty solid crowd considering there are a lot more people now than there were then--and attendance is up all over baseball since that time. I don't know, I six months old when this game took place and I don't know what things were like. But just judging by that one figure, it would appear to me like we've really regressed as a franchise since then. Thoughts anyone older?

1951Campbell
05-09-2004, 12:34 AM

:chickenlittle

1951Campbell
05-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Time of Game: 2:10

That's what tells me that game was long ago.

1951Campbell
05-09-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
That's intersting, people. You got about 8 million people in the area here, I would imagine somewhere around 5 just blind guessing 22 years ago and the Sox hosted a crowd that we struggle to average now, and often don't match--I know they didn't come close the two times I went this year. Any correlation to Reinsdorf? :smile: :o:

1982 as I understand it was not a particularly good year, and that was a pretty solid crowd considering there are a lot more people now than there were then--and attendance is up all over baseball since that time. I don't know, I six months old when this game took place and I don't know what things were like. But just judging by that one figure, it would appear to me like we've really regressed as a franchise since then. Thoughts anyone older?

The early 80's, to me, were the tail end of the "Comiskey as Saloon" era. As a little kid, I felt like I was somehow at home seeing the Brewers at Milwaukee Co. Stadium, but going to Comiskey was like being let into a man's world as a little boy. Comiskey was old, cramped, and full of men who smoked, drank a lot, and kept score. And it always seemed full to me. To put it in terms of bars (as any good Milwaukee kid would), County Stadium was the pub you took you family to for a fish fry...Comiskey was the corner tavern you went to after work.

Now the Cell is somewhat antiseptic, and the Sox seem to thrash about looking for a way to even get people to go there. When I went to New Comiskey in the early 90's, I felt like it was new, boring...but still all about the team.

I'm done waxing poetic.

Win1ForMe
05-09-2004, 01:09 AM

Unbelievable.

Hey, way to put words in my mouth. Great job.

My point (and you might want to actually read my posts before responding to them) is our club could be more consistent offensively if the line-up had something besides right-handed power hitters (and Kenny knows this too!!!!). Kenny said it but didn't act on it. So what's wrong with me pointing this out?

I have no idea where you sensed that I'm a Kenny Williams hater, I like him as our GM, but does that mean I have to agree with every move or non-move he makes? You're trying to make this very black & white.

beckett21
05-09-2004, 01:42 AM

Here is your post. I read it several times.

Your implication is that today's loss was the fault of Kenny Williams. That is what I read when I read your post.

Kenny is an easy target when things go wrong. The fact of the matter is that the team is still in first place.

So he must be doing something right, no?

I have no idea what your personal opinion on KW is, and you have every right to your opinion and to express it. As far as I am concerned, I did not put words into your mouth. Basically you implied that our performance today was due to Kenny Williams and his failure to properly balance the lineup. Failure to execute time and time again....failing to advance runners...getting picked off...must be the GM . It has to be someone's fault, and the players certainly cannot be held accountable.

So, tell me: what about the 17 wins? The 11 one-run wins? The surprise performance of Juan Uribe thus far? How about a nice performance by Scott Schoeneweis, a guy many believed had no place in the starting rotation? KW had nothing to do with these things? Should he not get some credit for that? If it's his fault when we lose, shouldn't he be praised when we win?

When the wheels start falling off, though....time to point fingers. You don't have to agree with every move the guy makes, heaven knows I don't. But to pin a lackadasical effort on him is just not fair. We lost due to lack of execution and mental mistakes today.

If I put words in your mouth, sorry. If I misinterpreted your post, my sincere apologies. Your most recent post is much more clear, thank you for clarifying your position. But do not accuse me of not reading your post, because I most certainly did. And my interpretation of your previous post was that we lost today because of Kenny Williams.

And that is absurd.

Win1ForMe
05-09-2004, 11:09 AM
And my interpretation of your previous post was that we lost today because of Kenny Williams.

And that is absurd.

Obviously, players win and lose games. For one, I've been all over Carlos and Frank for not hitting with RISP and not getting clutch hits. But I think we can hold the GM accountable for certain things, and certainly it's not novel to judge the GM based on his team's performance.

So, if the GM's job is to make the team better (through player acquisitions), then I think it's fair to blame the GM, at least in part, if the he did not address a problem evident throughout the past few seasons (regardless if we're in 1st place or not at this point).

Should he not get some credit for that? If it's his fault when we lose, shouldn't he be praised when we win?

He certainly should. But my post wasn't a "state of the White Sox" address, where every good/bad thing is talked about.

And let me reiterate this, I like Kenny Williams as our GM.

Palehose13
05-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

Let's look at the date: Game Played on Saturday, September 4, 1982

Sure, attendance was down last homestand, but it was April/early May and freaking cold/rainy. I don't think that we struggle to get 23K in the park, in fact last year we averaged 23,945/game. Let the weather warm up and school get out and I think we will easily get 23K for a Saturday night game.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13

Sure, attendance was down last homestand, but it was April/early May and freaking cold/rainy. I don't think that we struggle to get 23K in the park, in fact last year we averaged 23,945/game. Let the weather warm up and school get out and I think we will easily get 23K for a Saturday night game.

Exactly, why should we be drawing the same now as we did 22 years ago?

beckett21
05-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Obviously, players win and lose games. For one, I've been all over Carlos and Frank for not hitting with RISP and not getting clutch hits. But I think we can hold the GM accountable for certain things, and certainly it's not novel to judge the GM based on his team's performance.

So, if the GM's job is to make the team better (through player acquisitions), then I think it's fair to blame the GM, at least in part, if the he did not address a problem evident throughout the past few seasons (regardless if we're in 1st place or not at this point).

He certainly should. But my post wasn't a "state of the White Sox" address, where every good/bad thing is talked about.

And let me reiterate this, I like Kenny Williams as our GM.

Fair enough. I get your point.

Let's remember the season is not over, it is a work in progress. Hopefully once any glaring weaknesses truly define themselves, (which in your opinion they are), they will be addressed.

If we win today, we will be 18-12, with a .600 winning percentage. That extrapolates out to 97 wins over 162 games. I would take that.

My point is that it is a little early to be pointing fingers and calling people out like the GM. Especially when certain players are not playing up to their expected ability. That's what your initial post seemed to be doing to me. That's all.

Didn't mean to single you out; your post just struck a chord.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
The early 80's, to me, were the tail end of the "Comiskey as Saloon" era. As a little kid, I felt like I was somehow at home seeing the Brewers at Milwaukee Co. Stadium, but going to Comiskey was like being let into a man's world as a little boy. Comiskey was old, cramped, and full of men who smoked, drank a lot, and kept score. And it always seemed full to me. To put it in terms of bars (as any good Milwaukee kid would), County Stadium was the pub you took you family to for a fish fry...Comiskey was the corner tavern you went to after work.

Now the Cell is somewhat antiseptic, and the Sox seem to thrash about looking for a way to even get people to go there. When I went to New Comiskey in the early 90's, I felt like it was new, boring...but still all about the team.

I'm done waxing poetic.

Didn't Bridgeport have a lot of walk ups in those days? Now, it seems no one's coming from the neighborhood, it's all suburb people. One thing that could really boost attendance is if you cleaned up the neighborhood on the park side just like they're doing with the former RTH side. I'm not saying it's a dump like the media would have you believe, it's a liveable place, but the ball park is set in a neighborhood with a lot of Wrigley type potential for literal walk-up crowds. If Bridgeport was a place that people would move TO instead of away from into the burbs, you'd see us drawing 30,000 a night.

voodoochile
05-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13

Look for a banner year attendance wise for the Sox. Several factors are coming into alignment which have a positive effect.

1)Flubbies are sold out. Casual fans wanting to see baseball will have to go to the southside.

2)The team is off to a good start. If they can carry it through May, they will start to gather some press attention and more diehards will start showing up just to see their beloved play.

3)The press is starting to feel the bite of their recent favoritism for the flubbies and there will be a backlash to some extent as reporters start to fall all over themselves to write good things about our team. You are starting to see this already.

4)Recnet events at Wrigley (tragic as some of them are) will change people's perceptions as to which neighborhood is actually more dangerous. That in turn will cause parents to take their kids to the southside for baseball. Now would be a great time for the Sox to drop parking prices and advertise it widely. "Don't walk so far to your car. Our lots are security patrolled before during and after the games. Drive up to the front door and park. To facilitate the White Sox fans, we are dropping parking prices across the board." It won't be a direct attack on the flubbies and the recent shooting, but the message will be heard - you can go to Sox games in safety. That matters to parents who want to take their kids to a game and trust me right now there are mothers all over Chicagoland having second thoughts about letting hubbie take the two kids to Wrigley.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Look for a banner year attendance wise for the Sox. Several factors are coming into alignment which have a positive effect.

1)Flubbies are sold out. Casual fans wanting to see baseball will have to go to the southside.

2)The team is off to a good start. If they can carry it through May, they will start to gather some press attention and more diehards will start showing up just to see their beloved play.

3)The press is starting to feel the bite of their recent favoritism for the flubbies and there will be a backlash to some extent as reporters start to fall all over themselves to write good things about our team. You are starting to see this already.

4)Recnet events at Wrigley (tragic as some of them are) will change people's perceptions as to which neighborhood is actually more dangerous. That in turn will cause parents to take their kids to the southside for baseball. Now would be a great time for the Sox to drop parking prices and advertise it widely. "Don't walk so far to your car. Our lots are security patrolled before during and after the games. Drive up to the front door and park. To facilitate the White Sox fans, we are dropping parking prices across the board." It won't be a direct attack on the flubbies and the recent shooting, but the message will be heard - you can go to Sox games in safety. That matters to parents who want to take their kids to a game and trust me right now there are mothers all over Chicagoland having second thoughts about letting hubbie take the two kids to Wrigley.

It's always been safer to go to Sox games than cub games. It's a shame we've had this bad neighborhood stigma like you're gonna get mugged if you park your car there. You don't even walk through the neighborhood at the Cell, it's just parking lots with cops everywhere.

These are all interesting points. Though with the cubs being sold out, a lot of them will probably still pay inflated prices to see Wrigley rather than standard 30 to see the Sox.

The great thing about this year is we've been in it from the get go. We will draw over 2 million this year as long as we don't fall out of the race. If we're hovering around first place and a game or two out all year, you can book 2 mill. This is such a big year for us because of the cubs success and for JR's willingness to put extra money on the field next year. Which we'll need to compete for a world series.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2004, 02:35 PM
The reason for the large attendance towards the tail end of the season?

Simple...

The Sox were still in the divisional pennant race

Roland Hemond had just picked up Sparky Lyle, Jim Kern and Warren Brusstar to bolster the pitching staff.

and most importantly Jerry Reinsdorf had only owned the team for a year and a half.

Lip

thepaulbowski
05-10-2004, 09:29 AM

What, is that optimism I just read. That doesn't belong in this thread. The season's over. :D: