PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts 5/8/04

Hangar18
05-08-2004, 11:11 AM
I was heading back into the Big City from the west burbs last nite,
Listening to the game on the radio, I couldnt help myself and stopped in to a local watering hole in the downtown area, to catch the last few Innings. Walking in, the place is packed, and I hear some Cheering and the SOX are indeed on the tube.
I get a cold beer and am watching when a Sox hit got more cheers in the bar. I smiled, remembering that this place has quietly become a gathering place for Sox Fans downtown.
The guys next to me to my left, and a couple guys farther to my right, are watching the game intently and we start talking.
The one guy mentions that he was glad a SOX fan sat next to him and not some cub fan.

I asked him if he Remembered that there was the Other Teams Giant Flag hanging from the ceiling until recently......and he said "Yeah, my buddy and I were just talking about that, and all the logos too" referring to the Cubbie logos. I told him I was the one responsible for that and they Immediately wanted to buy me a Beer.

Other teams "fan" comes in, and notes our Cheering, and says we must be sox fans, why are we cheering for the losers. I reminded him that WE were in fact in 1st place and his team Wasnt. He acknowledged that I was right, and he didnt realize the cubs WERENT in 1st. the SOX fans next to me ask him to name some players on the cubs ........He Immediately acknowledges that he "probably dont know as much as you guys" and extends his hand to Shake Hands with the Guy Kevin next to me. Kevin shakes his hand and says "Im SOrry". I laugh......the cub fan says "what is your name" and kevin goes "Im sorry your a cub fan" and we all Burst out Laughing.
He goes to shake my hand, and asks my name, and I tell
him "Vengeance ..........My name is Vengeance and your team is going to feel the Medias Wrath" to which all the SOX fans Burst out laughing at the cub fan.........and he walked away laughing at us. Another Light SOX moment at the other teams expense.

ewokpelts
05-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I was heading back into the Big City from the west burbs last nite,
Listening to the game on the radio, I couldnt help myself and stopped in to a local watering hole in the downtown area, to catch the last few Innings. Walking in, the place is packed, and I hear some Cheering and the SOX are indeed on the tube.
I get a cold beer and am watching when a Sox hit got more cheers in the bar. I smiled, remembering that this place has quietly become a gathering place for Sox Fans downtown.
The guys next to me to my left, and a couple guys farther to my right, are watching the game intently and we start talking.
The one guy mentions that he was glad a SOX fan sat next to him and not some cub fan.

I asked him if he Remembered that there was the Other Teams Giant Flag hanging from the ceiling until recently......and he said "Yeah, my buddy and I were just talking about that, and all the logos too" referring to the Cubbie logos. I told him I was the one responsible for that and they Immediately wanted to buy me a Beer.

Other teams "fan" comes in, and notes our Cheering, and says we must be sox fans, why are we cheering for the losers. I reminded him that WE were in fact in 1st place and his team Wasnt. He acknowledged that I was right, and he didnt realize the cubs WERENT in 1st. the SOX fans next to me ask him to name some players on the cubs ........He Immediately acknowledges that he "probably dont know as much as you guys" and extends his hand to Shake Hands with the Guy Kevin next to me. Kevin shakes his hand and says "Im SOrry". I laugh......the cub fan says "what is your name" and kevin goes "Im sorry your a cub fan" and we all Burst out Laughing.
He goes to shake my hand, and asks my name, and I tell
him "Vengeance ..........My name is Vengeance and your team is going to feel the Medias Wrath" to which all the SOX fans Burst out laughing at the cub fan.........and he walked away laughing at us. Another Light SOX moment at the other teams expense.

::sigh:: Henry,
You need to get laid. Or a new tin foil hat.
Gene

nasox
05-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
::sigh:: Henry,
You need to get laid. Or a new tin foil hat.
Gene

*****!! Histerical. :D: :gulp:

ewokpelts
05-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by nasox
*****!! Histerical. :D: :gulp:

I apreciate his zeal, it it's my own experience that when you have more to live for than the sox(namely lovin'), you see things differently.
Gene

woodenleg
05-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Just out of curiosity, what bar is this? Just so I know next time I have time to kill after work.

manuelsucks
05-08-2004, 08:44 PM
I always get a kick out of Random Thoughts. Actually, I've got some random thoughts that I'll just tack on here. So, last Saturday, I go out to eat at the Fridays by us. There is about a 25 min wait, so I go to the bar area to catch the second game of the double header. I walk into the bar, and EVERY TV has the Flubs game. So I go up to one of the bar tenders (who has a Cubs hat on) and say Hey, can you turn on the Sox on one of these TVs?!? He goes, Oh aren't they already finished. Boy. Then I explain the concept of a double header and they finally turn on the game. That's not it. Last night, I went out the Chili's around 7, and once again EVERY TV has a REPLAY of the Flubs game. A REPLAY!! So I tell the guy, turn on the Sox game! They did, but man, I just don't understand it. Must be something with the suburbs. I've gotta move to the city.

ewokpelts
05-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by woodenleg
Just out of curiosity, what bar is this? Just so I know next time I have time to kill after work.

I think it's Dugan's. Right off adams and halsted. Me and Henry have been known to frequent it.
Gene

Hangar18
05-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Yes it is Dugans. and anyone with a Random Thought they'd love to share......feel free to use it as a thread. Heck, the Cubune & Cub-Times have already copied it ........ :smile:

the bar deserves credit for removing that cub banner, so please frequent the place and MENTION that your glad its taken down

ewokpelts
05-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Yes it is Dugans. and anyone with a Random Thought they'd love to share......feel free to use it as a thread. Heck, the Cubune & Cub-Times have already copied it ........ :smile:

the bar deserves credit for removing that cub banner, so please frequent the place and MENTION that your glad its taken down

funny how you didnt respond to my tin foil crack.... but on a side note, dugans is a nice place to drink...prices aint too horrible..and they tend to have sox games on when i'm there....
Gene

Hangar18
05-10-2004, 12:11 PM
funny how you didnt respond to my tin foil crack.... but on a side note, dugans is a nice place to drink...prices aint too horrible..and they tend to have sox games on when i'm there....
Gene

I was doing my BEST Mike Murphy impersonation, IGNORING
a call-out heh heh :smile:

jackbrohamer
05-10-2004, 12:25 PM
dugans is a nice place to drink....

Yup, one of my favorites. Good place to stay away from for anyone who's worried about getting arrested, it always seems full of Chicago cops

ewokpelts
05-10-2004, 12:38 PM
I was doing my BEST Mike Murphy impersonation, IGNORING
a call-out heh heh :smile:
Dont make me moronotti you!

:moron
"Even with evidence to the contrary, it's obvious Hangar18 is as mad as Hawk Harrelson! Puppets of Reinsdorf!

Gene

robertks61
05-10-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm in a bar in the south suburbs. The bartender goes to turn on a Cub game vs. AZ. Several Sox fans comment to leave the Sox game on but the bartender says some Cub fans want to watch the Cub game. About 6 or so Sox fans say "who wants the Cub game on" they get one female to answer. We let it slide because the Sox are on 3 other TV's. It's 8:30 and the bartender then changes the channel to WGN. It happens to be that the Cub game is on FSN. Nobody in the place even notices that the Cub game still isn't on. Another Sox fan and I are laughing and seeing how much time it will take before the 1 Cub fan and the bartender figure out which channel the Cubs are on!

ewokpelts
05-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Dont make me moronotti you!

:moron
"Even with evidence to the contrary, it's obvious Hangar18 is as mad as Hawk Harrelson! Puppets of Reinsdorf!

Gene

:hawk

"Now listen here Jay...I'm a radio controlled animatronic prop...I'm no puppet. Get your facts straight."

Gene

Iwritecode
05-10-2004, 12:55 PM
and anyone with a Random Thought they'd love to share......feel free to use it as a thread.

I've had 2 random thought incidents in the past week but I'm not nearly as good as you are...

The first one happened last week when I ran into a gas station to buy my wife some cancer sticks.

As the dude was ringing them up, he looked at me and said "Don't tell me you're a Sox fan." It took me a second to figure out how he knew this because I was still wearing my work clothes (dress pants and a polo shirt). Then I realized that he saw the gold charm that I wear around my neck 24/7/365.

I said, "Hey, they were in first place when I woke up this morning."

He asked who they were playing that night and I told him Baltimore. He said "Well they should be in first tomorrow morning too." I said, "Damn right."

The second time happened this past weekend while I was out camping with my family. My friend happens to be a Cub fan so I got to hear Patterson strike out to end the game with the tying run 90 feet away. So we walk down and start playing some horseshoes. A guy walks up wearing a "Wrigley" shirt and starts watching us play. Him and my friend mention the Cubs loss and then he notices my hat. He makes the usual crack about why am I not at the game because the attendance is so low.

I remind him that 1) the Sox are in Toronto and 2) I'll be there next week and won't have to worry about getting shot while I'm there.

Then he takes the predictable shot at the Black Sox throwing the WS. I then remind him that it was a common occurance back then, it's just that the Sox were the only ones to get caught. Back then, guys had to work in the off-season to make ends meet. Then I also remind him that it's all ancient history and that the 2004 Sox are in first and that's all that matters.

After talking with him a little while, he admitted that he's a typical Cub "fan" that just likes to go and drink and not pay attention to the game.

I knew arguement/intelligent discussion was pointless beyond that...

Jerko
05-10-2004, 12:57 PM
I knew arguement/intelligent discussion was pointless beyond that...

It was most likely pointless before that too! :D:

Foulke You
05-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by manuelsucks
I always get a kick out of Random Thoughts. Actually, I've got some random thoughts that I'll just tack on here. So, last Saturday, I go out to eat at the Fridays by us. There is about a 25 min wait, so I go to the bar area to catch the second game of the double header. I walk into the bar, and EVERY TV has the Flubs game. So I go up to one of the bar tenders (who has a Cubs hat on) and say Hey, can you turn on the Sox on one of these TVs?!? He goes, Oh aren't they already finished. Boy. Then I explain the concept of a double header and they finally turn on the game. That's not it. Last night, I went out the Chili's around 7, and once again EVERY TV has a REPLAY of the Flubs game. A REPLAY!! So I tell the guy, turn on the Sox game! They did, but man, I just don't understand it. Must be something with the suburbs. I've gotta move to the city.

Yeah, I hear ya as far as bars not putting the Sox games on in the suburbs. I went into RAM Steakhouse in the Rosemont area last weekend to catch the second game of the double header against the Jays. I like the microbrewed beer there but hate the yuppy/tourist patrons. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it is Rosemont. I go into the bar area and every stinkin TV in the place (they had dozens of TVs, including a giant projection one) had the Cubs/Cards on including Chip Carey and Steve's blabbing commentary blaring on the audio. I don't understand. This is Chicago and you're a sports bar, I'm aware that the Cubs have more fans but at least put the Sox on SOME of the TVs especially when you have so many TVs. I've gone into this place on Sox game nights where the Cubs AREN'T playing and they'd have some random NHL or NBA game that was on TNT or ESPN instead of the Sox. I'm pretty sure the manager is a Cubs fan because every time I've been to this place I've had to ask for the Sox game to be put on, it was never on when I walked in. They also have two Wrigley Field pictures on the wall and no Sox pics and they have a precious little "Cub Burger" on the menu. (cue the puke sound fx) I've complained to the servers there about the Sox games not being on when I go in but they said I'd have to bring it up to the manager (who conveniently is never there).

I was wearing my Maggs home jersey and Sox hat and had a seat at the bar and immediately ordered a beer and requested the Sox be put on TV. They put it on only one TV for me but at least it was the one right in front of me and was one of the bigger ones near the projection screen. It was also at that moment I realized everyone who was sitting at the bar was looking at me like I had the plague or something and murmering amongst themselves. (I really hate that, if you have a problem with the team I cheer for, then just come out and tell me) The people there were absolutely dumbstruck that a Sox fan could be in their prescence and take the almighty Cub off one of their precious TVs. The nice waitress did put the game on the projection screen for me after the conclusion of the Cubs game but that is rare at this place. There was one other Sox fan there who came up to me and talked briefly about the game but other than that, it was Cub central. They're lucky they have good food and beer or I wouldn't go there. One day, I'll have it out with the manager there.

ewokpelts
05-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Yeah, I hear ya as far as bars not putting the Sox games on in the suburbs. I went into RAM Steakhouse in the Rosemont area last weekend to catch the second game of the double header against the Jays. I like the microbrewed beer there but hate the yuppy/tourist patrons. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it is Rosemont. I go into the bar area and every stinkin TV in the place (they had dozens of TVs, including a giant projection one) had the Cubs/Cards on including Chip Carey and Steve's blabbing commentary blaring on the audio. I don't understand. This is Chicago and you're a sports bar, I'm aware that the Cubs have more fans but at least put the Sox on SOME of the TVs especially when you have so many TVs. I've gone into this place on Sox game nights where the Cubs AREN'T playing and they'd have some random NHL or NBA game that was on TNT or ESPN instead of the Sox. I'm pretty sure the manager is a Cubs fan because every time I've been to this place I've had to ask for the Sox game to be put on, it was never on when I walked in. They also have two Wrigley Field pictures on the wall and no Sox pics and they have a precious little "Cub Burger" on the menu. (cue the puke sound fx) I've complained to the servers there about the Sox games not being on when I go in but they said I'd have to bring it up to the manager (who conveniently is never there).

I was wearing my Maggs home jersey and Sox hat and had a seat at the bar and immediately ordered a beer and requested the Sox be put on TV. They put it on only one TV for me but at least it was the one right in front of me and was one of the bigger ones near the projection screen. It was also at that moment I realized everyone who was sitting at the bar was looking at me like I had the plague or something and murmering amongst themselves. (I really hate that, if you have a problem with the team I cheer for, then just come out and tell me) The people there were absolutely dumbstruck that a Sox fan could be in their prescence and take the almighty Cub off one of their precious TVs. The nice waitress did put the game on the projection screen for me after the conclusion of the Cubs game but that is rare at this place. There was one other Sox fan there who came up to me and talked briefly about the game but other than that, it was Cub central. They're lucky they have good food and beer or I wouldn't go there. One day, I'll have it out with the manager there.

Just dont shoot him. We're not cub fans, remember.
Gene

jackbrohamer
05-10-2004, 01:27 PM
I can't believe any of these stories. It's just the bitter Sox fans who feel the need to mock the Cubs. Cub fans don't care about the Sox.

Along the same lines, I had the misfortune of going to the Urinal last Thursday (had to entertain clients). Before the game this 35-ish woman in a Prior jersey starts chanting "Sox suck" during some stupid story she was in the middle of. 40-ish Guy behind me starts yelling something (incoherently) at a High School-age guy who walked by in a Sox hat.

Then another guy behind me talking about how Babe Ruth used to go to Murphy's Bleachers for beer between innings. Not knowing, apparently, (1) what league the Babe played in (2) that he didn't play in the 1980s.

ewokpelts
05-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
I can't believe any of these stories. It's just the bitter Sox fans who feel the need to mock the Cubs. Cub fans don't care about the Sox.

Along the same lines, I had the misfortune of going to the Urinal last Thursday (had to entertain clients). Before the game this 35-ish woman in a Prior jersey starts chanting "Sox suck" during some stupid story she was in the middle of. 40-ish Guy behind me starts yelling something (incoherently) at a High School-age guy who walked by in a Sox hat.

Then another guy behind me talking about how Babe Ruth used to go to Murphy's Bleachers for beer between innings. Not knowing, apparently, (1) what league the Babe played in (2) that he didn't play in the 1980s.

Post of the Week?
Gene

Iwritecode
05-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Post of the Week?
Gene

IMO, the POTW should be a good one-liner. Sometimes 2 lines...