PDA

View Full Version : Put Frank At First!

RKMeibalane
05-07-2004, 09:21 PM
PUT FRANK AT FIRST! NOW!

MRKARNO
05-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Here we go again...........

Maybe instead of putting Frank at first we should flip flop him in the order with maggs again

And why exactly should we put Frank at first if

A. First Base defense contributed to our losing the game and Thomas is worse than Konerko

and

B. Thomas's offense is not a problem?

RKMeibalane
05-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Here we go again...........

I'm glad someone remembers my doing this last season. :D:

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I'm glad someone remembers my doing this last season. :D:

Interleague isn't that far away. He needs some innings here and you just know he's gonna tear it up if he plays first for a week.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Interleague isn't that far away. He needs some innings here and you just know he's gonna tear it up if he plays first for a week.

I'm hoping he'll play first for longer than one week. I want to see him there on a regular basis.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm hoping he'll play first for longer than one week. I want to see him there on a regular basis.

Just to get him going. Konerko needs to sit anyway. He isn't doing anything. Give Gload some at bats.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Just to get him going. Konerko needs to sit anyway. He isn't doing anything. Give Gload some at bats.

I agree. Konerko and Lee need to be benched. Those two are killing the Sox offense. Frank hasn't seen a decent pitch to hit since the dinosaurs were here.

MRKARNO
05-07-2004, 09:33 PM
I agree. Konerko and Lee need to be benched. Those two are killing the Sox offense. Frank hasn't seen a decent pitch to hit since the dinosaurs were here. Yeah! Let's start Burke and Gload!

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 09:34 PM
I agree. Konerko and Lee need to be benched. Those two are killing the Sox offense. Frank hasn't seen a decent pitch to hit since the dinosaurs were here.

They really need to sit in the corner and think about what they've done for a few games.

I'm starting to think Frank and Maggs should swap. That order has worked for years. Maggs doesn't need to see good pitches to hit, he never has. Thomas won't swing unless it's an absolute cookie. Not criticizing that, but that's the way it is.

stillz
05-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Yeah! Let's start Burke and Gload!

Better yet - get big Joe Borchard up here!

niucons
05-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by stillz
Better yet - get big Joe Borchard up here!

Hey, screw Borchard, how about Smith?

nasox
05-07-2004, 11:22 PM
They really need to sit in the corner and think about what they've done for a few games.

I'm starting to think Frank and Maggs should swap. That order has worked for years. Maggs doesn't need to see good pitches to hit, he never has. Thomas won't swing unless it's an absolute cookie. Not criticizing that, but that's the way it is.

I wouldn't say Thomas can't hit a pitch unless it is an absolute cookie. True, he can't place a ball like Maggs, or hit a tough pitch like Maggs *anymore* (he could do this earlier in his career), but he can still hit some tough pitches. Are you saying that everytime he gets hit or a homer he got it off a meatball of a pitch? I think he can hit some pretty tough pitches, and most would agree. Not criticizing, but that's the way it isn't.

WhiteSox = Life
05-07-2004, 11:35 PM
From what I've seen, Frank is hitting the ball decently to right field and had that big well-hit double to right center field in Baltimore. However as this moment, he's not staying back and opening up. Whether or not he's swinging late on the pitch, he's definitely getting under and popping up. Getting on base is fine, but it kills you when he can't come through in the clutch, like tonight unfortunately demonstrated.

That being said, Frank is still performing well, especially with the "hitters" behind him, but he needs to start getting some base knocks falling in again or this team is dead from 5-8, and when half your order isn't producing, every popout, groundout or strikeout from Maggs and/or Frank is intensified.

If it weren't for Uribe... I don't even need to finish the thought.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by nasox
I wouldn't say Thomas can't hit a pitch unless it is an absolute cookie. True, he can't place a ball like Maggs, or hit a tough pitch like Maggs *anymore* (he could do this earlier in his career), but he can still hit some tough pitches. Are you saying that everytime he gets hit or a homer he got it off a meatball of a pitch? I think he can hit some pretty tough pitches, and most would agree. Not criticizing, but that's the way it isn't.

I didn't say can't, I said won't. Frank only swings at hittable pitches. And that very fact is why he's one of the best hitters overall who ever played, I'm not criticizing his approach. But it also means that if he's not gonna get strikes to hit, he should change where he's hitting so that he WILL.

Look at the pitch Maggs ended the KC game on...that was a breaking ball of some kind that missed the catchers spot by a foot and he put it in the seats. Frank would've never swung at that. Again, that's not a knock on Frank, it's just an example of how much they differ as hitters.

The number 4 spot is not gonna get pitched to as long as Lee and Konerko aren't hitting (and that might go on forever), so the less selective guy (Maggs) should hit 4th.

And also, Maggs is gonna have a chance to drive in Frank 40% of the time, while in the current setup, Frank can only drive in Maggs 38% of the time.

nasox
05-07-2004, 11:48 PM
I didn't say can't, I said won't. Frank only swings at hittable pitches. And that very fact is why he's one of the best hitters overall who ever played, I'm not criticizing his approach. But it also means that if he's not gonna get strikes to hit, he should change where he's hitting so that he WILL.

Look at the pitch Maggs ended the KC game on...that was a breaking ball of some kind that missed the catchers spot by a foot and he put it in the seats. Frank would've never swung at that. Again, that's not a knock on Frank, it's just an example of how much they differ as hitters.

The number 4 spot is not gonna get pitched to as long as Lee and Konerko aren't hitting (and that might go on forever), so the less selective guy (Maggs) should hit 4th.

And also, Maggs is gonna have a chance to drive in Frank 40% of the time, while in the current setup, Frank can only drive in Maggs 38% of the time.

I see what you are saying. This is true. He has, in my opinion, one of the best eyes in the game ever, and I think the best eye in baseball currently.
As far as Frank in the 3 spot instead of the 4, I think we should try this experiment a while longer. If, in a month or so, or less, we still are stagnant offensively, we should shake things up. And, I think we begin to shake things up by switching Frank and Maggs.

Also, how did you get your statistics? What was you math?

batmanZoSo
05-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by nasox
I see what you are saying. This is true. He has, in my opinion, one of the best eyes in the game ever, and I think the best eye in baseball currently.
As far as Frank in the 3 spot instead of the 4, I think we should try this experiment a while longer. If, in a month or so, or less, we still are stagnant offensively, we should shake things up. And, I think we begin to shake things up by switching Frank and Maggs.

Also, how did you get your statistics? What was you math?

Just common knowledge and estimating. Frank is a .400 obp guy and Maggs is a .380 guy. Hence 40 and 38 %