:angry:

South Side
05-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Hmmmm.......

Wow, that sucked.

niucons
05-07-2004, 09:00 PM
This one hurt. John G. pitches a great game, then WHAM. We recover, then fail in the ninth. It was coming with that 11-1 one run record, but it still hurts.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 09:00 PM
That was just pitiful hitting. Ridiculous.

And Garland gives up two 2 run bombs with 2 outs. Sickening.

Ozzie takes out hot hitting Olivo for Timo Perez. Why?

South Side
05-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
That was just pitiful hitting. Ridiculous.

And Garland gives up two 2 run bombs with 2 outs. Sickening.

Ozzie takes out hot hitting Olivo for Timo Perez. Why?

This game poses a lot of questions... such as why does Valentin have to freaking strike out so damn much!

cheeses_h_rice
05-07-2004, 09:02 PM
I wasn't able to watch the entire game, except for a bit when the Sox were up 3-0.

Wha'appen? I heard Politte "blow" it in the 9th on the radio, but that was it.

Corpseball?

South Side
05-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I wasn't able to watch the entire game, except for a bit when the Sox were up 3-0.

Wha'appen? I heard Politte "blow" it in the 9th on the radio, but that was it.

Corpseball?

If he hadn't walked the guy we'd still be playing right now.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Major corpseball. Left a runner on third in the 9th. Left runners on every base, and often.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Several things need to happen before the next game:

1. Carlos Lee needs to be benched. He is killing the Sox offense.

2. Frank Thomas needs to be moved to first base.

3. The entire Sox bullpen needs to be sent to Aubu Dabi.

ndgt10
05-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Garland did NOT pitch a good game. Giving up 0 runs in 5 innings, and then two, two out, homeruns in the 6th was unacceptable. I'm starting to believe that Garland is a big choker. :o:

Blueprint1
HITTING: it sucks right now. In fact i will go out on a ledge and say that we have not hit all season long. There have been a few times when players have been hot this season but in general the hitting has sucked. We will see alot of games like this if the Sox continue to sleep at the plate.

Win1ForMe
Frank and Carlos are like the anti-clutch duo: .222 and .143 with RISP, respectively. There's a reason why their RBI totals are so low.

9 LOB today by these two. Great.

:hurt
"But I have 5 homers..."

:caballo
"...and I have 4"

HomeFish
05-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ndgt10
I'm starting to believe that Garland is a big choker. :o:

Well, remember which organization we got him from...

joecrede
05-07-2004, 09:08 PM
How about Rowand's catch tonight? :D:

Seriously though, the Red Sox got three in the bottom of the 9th to beat the Royals. Remember, with the way the Sox have historically dominated teams at the cell, .500 ball on the road is the goal.

South Side
Originally posted by Blueprint1
HITTING: it sucks right now. In fact i will go out on a ledge and say that we have not hit all season long. There have been a few times when players have been hot this season but in general the hitting has sucked. We will see alot of games like this if the Sox continue to sleep at the plate.

With the exception of Juan Uribe. Uribe should become the new hitting coach.

MRKARNO
Well I'm not going to get too down on this one because we're gonna lose games and as long as we're losing them one at a time and not in bunches we're in good shape because that means we're playing .500 ball or better. But of real Concern

Aaron Rowand .239
Joe Crede .238
Paul Konerko .250
Carlos Lee .235

None of them are getting it done 5-8 in the order. Harold Reynolds, you want to know why Frank has so few Runs relative to on base? There's your answer. Seeing Konerko nose-dive like that is really concerning because he might not be back as we thought. Also, no one could have figured Carlos was gonna hit .235. I mean I figured he'd hit closer to .280 than .300, but not in this manner. He's just totally lost up there.

The only genuine bright spots are Uribe (.385), who somehow managed to find a way to increase his average (3 for 5) and Olivo with the 3 run blast (.316). Ozzie is making a serious mistake by having Olivo hit 9th and not in the heart of the order.

ndgt10
Originally posted by HomeFish
Well, remember which organization we got him from...

That's a good point

SoxxoS
I think the Cliff Politte is good arguement is getting shakey. Look at his numbers. The guy can't throw strikes and his ERA is near 6.00. I have a very short leash with him.

We haven't even come close to hitting full stride yet. We aren't going to win many games when:
Valentin
Lee
Ordonez
Thomas
Crede

Are all struggling or not getting key hits. Lee looks absolutely lost. Maggs is struggling, but he hit the ball hard twice. Thomas is getting on base, but isn't really hitting, espcially in key situations. I haven't seen him get a clutch hit once this season. Walker better work on Crede to shorten his swing...there is a reason why his only hits are homers.

Valentin looks like he still belongs in the minors...shocking. I can't believe he just didn't magically go 4 for 4 today, since he got called up and all.

Judy Garland threw a (hawk's quote) very, very, very bad pitch to Hinske. It was a change, which was out over the plate. Can't do that if you are going to be a good pitcher in this league. He had his good stuff today, too.

For the record, we are now 4-5 against lefties...yet still lead the league in BA against them. What does that tell you?

MRKARNO
05-07-2004, 09:10 PM
You usually wont win a game with 16 LOB and only 4 runs scored

ndgt10
05-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
For the record, we are now 4-5 against lefties...yet still lead the league in BA against them. What does that tell you? [/B]

That tells me that we have people on base, but since we have no CLUTCH hitters, nobody can drive them in.

South Side
05-07-2004, 09:12 PM
We'll get the series... no worries.

Win1ForMe
05-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Oh, and I'm starting to sense a sucky vibe emanating from Politte. He's pitched better than what his numbers say, but a 6.23 ERA is still pretty high.

OEO Magglio
05-07-2004, 09:13 PM
I think the Cliff Politte is good arguement is getting shakey. Look at his numbers. The guy can't throw strikes and his ERA is near 6.00. I have a very short leash with him.

We haven't even come close to hitting full stride yet. We aren't going to win many games when:
Valentin
Lee
Ordonez
Thomas
Crede

Are all struggling or not getting key hits. Lee looks absolutely lost. Maggs is struggling, but he hit the ball hard twice. Thomas is getting on base, but isn't really hitting, espcially in key situations. I haven't seen him get a clutch hit once this season. Walker better work on Crede to shorten his swing...there is a reason why his only hits are homers.

Valentin looks like he still belongs in the minors...shocking. I can't believe he just didn't magically go 4 for 4 today, since he got called up and all.

Judy Garland threw a (hawk's quote) very, very, very bad pitch to Hinske. It was a change, which was out over the plate. Can't do that if you are going to be a good pitcher in this league. He had his good stuff today, too.

For the record, we are now 4-5 against lefties...yet still lead the league in BA against them. What does that tell you?
I agree with a lot of what you said, Maggs is just struggling right now, Crede has a real bad average but he's getting his hits when he need him too, Carlos has just been awful he's been a huge rally killer. Tonight is basically how the whole season has been going but some how the sox have managed to pull most of these games out.

OurBitchinMinny
05-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Why the hell does garland always give up big leads and have terrible innings. He needs to step it up. He pitches great for 5-6 innings, then gives up two bombs. Its getting old. These game have to be won.

SoxxoS
05-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Oh, and I'm starting to sense a sucky vibe emanating from Politte. He's pitched better than what his numbers say, but a 6.23 ERA is still pretty high.

You know it's bad when DJ says:

"On 3-2, when Cliff Politte throws a strike and it's fouled off, he probably isn't going to get the 2nd pitch over the plate."

Viva Magglio
05-07-2004, 09:16 PM
This may have been a game where our lack of hitting caught up with us. Despite the two home runs he gave up in that inning, Jon Garland pitched well enough to win this game. Our offense is too sucky right now. And if it don't get going, our now 11-2 one-run game record will move much closer to .500 faster than you think.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Ozzie is making a serious mistake by having Olivo hit 9th and not in the heart of the order.

Tell me about it. Get Lee the F outta here. This guy is not that good at all, we're wasting money paying him to do what he does.

OEO Magglio
05-07-2004, 09:17 PM

"On 3-2, when Cliff Politte throws a strike and it's fouled off, he probably isn't going to get the 2nd pitch over the plate."
The sad part is, I felt the same way when that pitched was fouled off I knew Pollitte was going to walk hudson.

RKMeibalane
05-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Memo to Ozzie Guillen:

PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST!

Win1ForMe
05-07-2004, 09:20 PM

Yeah, I remember that quote. Right after he said it, they cut to a shot of a sweaty and twitchy Politte at which point my confidence in him plummeted. Call it the "Billy Koch factor."

joecrede
05-07-2004, 09:20 PM
$14M per is too much to pay a corner OF'er who has the lengthy cold streaks Ordonez has.

SEALgep
05-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Memo to Ozzie Guillen:

PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! What's that going to do?

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
$14M per is too much to pay a corner OF'er who has the lengthy cold streaks Ordonez has.

What's he supposed to do, hit every game? He leads the team in homers and rbis.

SEALgep
05-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by South Side
With the exception of Juan Uribe. Uribe should become the new hitting coach. Uribe is hitting well, but Walker is a hell of a hitting coach IMO. No need to blame Walker, or want to get rid of him either.

OEO Magglio
05-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Memo to Ozzie Guillen:

PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! So what are you trying to say? I definitely agree though he's either walking or getting out right now, atleast for a little bit Frank should be put at first base.

SEALgep
05-07-2004, 09:24 PM
What's he supposed to do, hit every game? He leads the team in homers and rbis. I'm not worried about Maggs either. He's played better, but it's not like he's playing bad or anything. He'll heat up more as the weather does IMO.

HomeFish
05-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Oakland has opened up a 2-0 lead on the Twins. However, against Minnesota, that's like being down by 3.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Uribe is hitting well, but Walker is a hell of a hitting coach IMO. No need to blame Walker, or want to get rid of him either.

I hope he's working on Konerko and Lee. Cause he's doing a crapy job so far.

Win1ForMe
05-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

You know, I think you're right. His numbers last year:

.281 April
.294 May
.281 June
.429 July
.315 August
.295 September

Looks as if his stats are a little inflated.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 09:28 PM
You know, I think you're right. His numbers last year:

.281 April
.294 May
.281 June
.429 July
.315 August
.295 September

Looks as if his stats are a little inflated.

What are you talking about? He never batted below .281 for a month. And this is an off year we're talking about. He *only* drove in 99 runs.

South Side
05-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Uribe is hitting well, but Walker is a hell of a hitting coach IMO. No need to blame Walker, or want to get rid of him either.

I wasn't knocking Walker... but this team needs to learn something from Uribe and fast.

niucons
05-07-2004, 09:31 PM
What are you talking about? He never batted below .281 for a month. And this is an off year we're talking about. He *only* drove in 99 runs.

No Mag's Bashing. He does his job every year. If we have to let him go, so be it, but not because of his production, but because we overpaid for Carlos Lee and we need a spot for Reed, even though he is suddenly slumping in AAA.

SEALgep
05-07-2004, 09:32 PM
I hope he's working on Konerko and Lee. Cause he's doing a crapy job so far. First of all, PK came out light a bolt of lightening to begin the season and helped this team out on more than one occasion in a big way. Two, if a guy is struggling, how does that make Walker a bad hitting coach. If you could just blame your supervisor everytime something didn't go your way, than your company would be going through a lot of supervisors. Walker is working with all the guys, and especially with the guys struggling, but they are the ones who need to get it done. Walker can only help them. He's done swinging the bat himself.

OEO Magglio
05-07-2004, 09:33 PM
I wasn't knocking Walker... but this team needs to learn something from Uribe and fast.
Like hitting the ball to the opposite field. Juan's problem has always been not using the whole field, this years he starts going to right and he's tearing it up, right now besides Juan there is no hitter on this team consistantly going to the opposite field they try to pull everything, and that's just a bad hitting approach.

SEALgep
I wasn't knocking Walker... but this team needs to learn something from Uribe and fast. Agreed, he's showing good discipline at the plate as well as driving the pitch well from where it's located on the plate.

stillz
Tell me about it. Get Lee the F outta here. This guy is not that good at all, we're wasting money paying him to do what he does.

No doubt about it. The middle part of the lineup needs some shaking big time. Put Olivo behind Frank. Why wait until Lee and Konerko dip even more?? Is there an unwritten rule that says you wait until things are desperate to make tweaks. I'm not getting it.

Go Oakland.

Blueprint1
05-07-2004, 09:34 PM
To be honest i think that Lee has done the least for this team this year. They seem to be swinging for the fences an awful lot. What we need with runners on second or third base is a basehit not a homerun.

Win1ForMe
05-07-2004, 09:38 PM

I'm just saying he was a great player for 2 of the 6 months last year. The .429 July made his final numbers seem much better. The point is, he's inconsistant (surely you can see this).

By comparison, Vlad's 2003:

.271 April
.345 May
.143 June (had only 7 ABs because of injury)
.382 July
.349 August
.346 September

SoxxoS
05-07-2004, 09:38 PM
He did this at the start of last season too. He will snap out of it.

That being said, he can very well be moved before the trade deadline...as the Jeremy Reed era is approaching.

CWSGuy406
05-07-2004, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't mind if tommorow's lineup included Harris in center, with Perez/Rowand in left. Lee is killing us right now, he is so anti-clutch at the moment. And Freddy Garcia is dominating - if Seattle wants to do straight up (Who knows, maybe they would, Garcia is on the block anyways) Lee for Garcia, I'd pay for Lee's flight to Seattle and pack his bags.

MRKARNO
05-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Chavez Homers and it's 3-0 Oakland!

We might be able to stay in first by a game after all....

Lip Man 1
05-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Someone mentioned Politte walking another guy....as a unit the Sox are 4th in the league for the most walks allowed this season.

Lip

HomeFish
05-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Nevermind, we're tied for first. It's a whole new ballgame in the AL Central.

MRKARNO
05-07-2004, 10:10 PM

Well the Twins have tied the game but you're kidding yourself if you think that game is over.

HomeFish
05-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Assuming that the Twins are omnipotent has historically produced more correct predictions than incorrect ones.

Believe me, I dearly dearly hope that the A's pull this one off and make me look like an idiot. I just don't see it happening.

MRKARNO
05-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Assuming that the Twins are omnipotent has historically produced more correct predictions than incorrect ones.

Believe me, I dearly dearly hope that the A's pull this one off and make me look like an idiot. I just don't see it happening.

Well Karros just homered and it's a 5-3 game! 2-run shot.

HomeFish
05-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Haha Karros. I knew he would come in handy one day.

inta
05-07-2004, 10:25 PM

where's that "the sky is falling" jpeg when you need it?

:whiner:

MRKARNO
05-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by inta
where's that "the sky is falling" jpeg when you need it?

:whiner:

:chickenlittle

HomeFish
05-07-2004, 10:48 PM
The sky IS falling.

5-5 Twins.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 10:58 PM
I'm just saying he was a great player for 2 of the 6 months last year. The .429 July made his final numbers seem much better. The point is, he's inconsistant (surely you can see this).

By comparison, Vlad's 2003:

.271 April
.345 May
.143 June (had only 7 ABs because of injury)
.382 July
.349 August
.346 September

No, I can't. A minimum average of .281 in every month is not inconsistent. And again, it was an off-year for him.

I can see that his .429 July made his average high, but doesn't it take a great player to hit that well for 30 days? This let's not re-sign Maggs because he has slumps like every hitter in big league history crap has got to go. I don't understand why he gets picked on for being a great player who makes a lot of money, while you got two deadbeats making 8 a piece and a closer making 6 who's better suited to "close" in the real estate business.

The reason we're gonna have difficulty signing Maggs is because we have a large bulk of our payroll tied up in guys who aren't ever gonna help us win a world series. And part of it is because Reinsdorf is cheap, but we can't change that.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 10:59 PM
The sky IS falling.

5-5 Twins.

The sky is definitely falling when it's 5-5 Twins.

So if it ended now, they'd get the W? :smile:

nasox
05-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Someone mentioned Politte walking another guy....as a unit the Sox are 4th in the league for the most walks allowed this season.

Lip

The White Sox pitchers are making way too many 0-2 count mistakes, especially Buehrle, and even more mistakes when they get ahead in the count, like a 1-2. I don't know what the problem is, maybe it is overconfidence? OR, it could be a statistical anamoly, but I do doubt that. Either way, Coop has to solve this problem before it gets worse. I think that walks lead from mistakes made after the Sox get ahead of a guy. It seems like so many times I see a guy go up 0-2 and then walk the guy.

A. Cavatica
05-07-2004, 11:08 PM
What's he supposed to do, hit every game? He leads the team in homers and rbis.

If it were my $14M, I'd expect him to get a hit in every at bat.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 11:10 PM
First of all, PK came out light a bolt of lightening to begin the season and helped this team out on more than one occasion in a big way. Two, if a guy is struggling, how does that make Walker a bad hitting coach. If you could just blame your supervisor everytime something didn't go your way, than your company would be going through a lot of supervisors. Walker is working with all the guys, and especially with the guys struggling, but they are the ones who need to get it done. Walker can only help them. He's done swinging the bat himself.

If you succeed, do you give all the credit your boss?

As a unit, the lineup is underacheiving. There's still a ton of home run swings and failure to drive runners in. He can't make guys into clutch hitters, but the main reason why they aren't bringing in base runners is because they're always swinging for the fences and swinging at bad pitches. Those are two things he can change and hasn't whatsoever since he's been here. To save us both some time, I don't expect a hitting coach to make a guy like Konerko take 100 walks a year. But improvement in the areas I described are the keys to his job and nothing's changing. Walker is not doing any kind of job that's worthy of praise. Only Uribe and Olivo have done better than expected. Pretty much everyone else has done worse.

HomeFish
05-07-2004, 11:33 PM
A's put up another 2-spot...can they finally hold one?

HomeFish
05-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Man does the Oakland bullpen suck.

Win1ForMe
05-07-2004, 11:46 PM
No, I can't. A minimum average of .281 in every month is not inconsistent.

OK, let's re-examine this. I've highlighted the most important points for your convenience. Hitting .281 one month and .429 the next is not consistent. That is, a large difference between batting average from one month to the next shows inconsistency . A player's average between those two months should be somewhere around .355, therefore a player is inconsistent because he shows large deviation from the mean each month.

If a player had a .282 mean average, and hit .281 and .283 in back-to-back months, his play could be called consistent (much in the same way as a player hitting .331 with months of .327 and .335). Consistence does not refer to a high level of player performance which you seem to be using (a player can be consistently bad, for example). It just refers to the uniformity of statistical performance.

I don't understand why he gets picked on for being a great player who makes a lot of money, while you got two deadbeats making 8 a piece and a closer making 6 who's better suited to "close" in the real estate business.

I don't think anybody in their right mind thinks that those guys are worth their money. My main point is, when you have a $65 M payroll, and your top prospect is a right fielder, you might want to re-consider spending $15 M in resigning Maggs.

OEO Magglio
05-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Man does the Oakland bullpen suck.
7 to 6 oakland now, and the twins threatning. :angry:

ma-gaga
05-07-2004, 11:49 PM
A's put up another 2-spot...can they finally hold one?

nope. this game is entertaining as hell. it's absolutely rediculous.

dueling banjos galore!

OEO Magglio
05-07-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
7 to 6 oakland now, and the twins threatning. :angry:
8-7 twins now. I hate the a's bullpen. :angry: :angry: :angry:

ma-gaga
05-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Oakland brings the fielders in to gun down Offerman who's at third with one out.

Bloop single that's an out any other time.

ChiSox14305635
05-07-2004, 11:53 PM
Good Lord! Chris Hammond sucks!!! :angry:

Nard
05-08-2004, 12:05 AM
9-8 now with Oak still going strong...

What a game! :smile:

I wish our's were this exciting.

batmanZoSo
05-08-2004, 12:07 AM
OK, let's re-examine this. I've highlighted the most important points for your convenience. Hitting .281 one month and .429 the next is not consistent. That is, a large difference between batting average from one month to the next shows inconsistency . A player's average between those two months should be somewhere around .355, therefore a player is inconsistent because he shows large deviation from the mean each month.

Dude, it's only inconsistent if you go from BAD to GREAT to BAD. Not good to great to good..

.281 - .355 - .295 over three months. That's not inconsistent. That's called..he-got-hot.

.257 - .355 - .271 ....that's inconsistent.

You're just expecting Maggs to hit .346 every month like Guerrero. It ain't gonna happen. Your expectations are too high.

I don't think anybody in their right mind thinks that those guys are worth their money. My main point is, when you have a $65 M payroll, and your top prospect is a right fielder, you might want to re-consider spending $15 M in resigning Maggs.

Reed, from what I hear, does not have a great arm to where you have to put him in right. He can play left for 350k and you send LEE and 8 million dollars packing. Keep Maggs, please! Or even put Maggs in left and Reed in right, who cares.

batmanZoSo
05-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Nard

I smell an Arthur Rhodes appearance :o:

My god, he's horrible. Every time I turn my head on my fantasy team he's got a 10 era and 2.5 whip for the day.

ma-gaga
05-08-2004, 12:10 AM

This game is great. I have no clue who's going to win this thing. But it's one of the more enjoyable 9-8 games I've seen.

Dye up. Runners on 1st and 2nd, one out. Nathan pitching...
swings at ball four, full count.

Walk. Bases loaded, Durazo up, one out. Advantage Oakland.

ma-gaga
05-08-2004, 12:11 AM
jeez. Nathan can't throw a strike... 3-0

*edit* 10 pitches, 2 BBs. Tie game, still only one out. Huge advantage oakland.

Nard
05-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Walks in a run!!

9-9.... loaded with 1 out.

TDog
05-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Twins just walked in the tying run.

Their closer walked two in the eighth.

ndgt10
05-08-2004, 12:15 AM
Ex Cub Karros strikes out with bases loaded. 2 outs now.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 12:16 AM
And Eric Karros remembered why he had so much fun being a Cub. :angry:

ma-gaga
05-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Finally, a strikeout. Nathan was nibbling away at the plate. You just can't do that against Oakland.

ndgt10
05-08-2004, 12:17 AM
Going to the 9th tied up. F U Karros. :angry:

TDog
05-08-2004, 12:17 AM
This game reminds me a lot of the White Sox. Both teams.

ndgt10
05-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by TDog
This game reminds me a lot of the White Sox. Both teams.

Only difference is that they can score runs.

batmanZoSo
Who is this Joe Nathan and why has he (for the most part) been a good closer? Wasn't he just a middle reliever last year? Man those Twins get just what they need.

ChiSox14305635
Thanks for playing Billy McPennie. :angry:

ndgt10
05-08-2004, 12:20 AM
We're in trouble. Rhodes is in. :(:

TDog
05-08-2004, 12:20 AM
Nathan has had some harrowing ninth innings, leaving the bases loaded and not giving up enough to give up the lead.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Hunter walked. Shouldn't be a threat on the basepaths due to his leg injury earlier this week. Unless they bring in a PR.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Hunter walked. Shouldn't be a threat on the basepaths due to his leg injury earlier this week. Unless they bring in a PR.

Michael Ryan pinch running.

batmanZoSo
05-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Who started for Choakland today?

ndgt10
05-08-2004, 12:26 AM

Redman.

TDog
05-08-2004, 12:26 AM

Redman.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Lew Ford lined out. 2 down. Come on Rhodes, 1 more.

ma-gaga
05-08-2004, 12:28 AM
Who is this Joe Nathan and why has he (for the most part) been a good closer? Wasn't he just a middle reliever last year? Man those Twins get just what they need.

You've fallen in love with the "proven closer". Why does Jose Mesa still have a job? Because one year he was put in front of the Cleveland Indians juggernaught offense, and that 'proved' that he was a closer. Each team has the talent, it's a matter of finding the right combination of talent and personality to get the job done. The Twins scouted the guy and traded for him. They gave up quality to get him.

It's all about the WHIP. Forget ERA, forget Wins, forget Saves, look at the WHIP and all of lifes pitching's answers will be answered.

:)

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 12:29 AM
YES! Strike 3!

Alright A's. Time to win this thing.

TDog
05-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Any old kind of a run wins it now for the A's.

I feel four walks coming.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 12:34 AM
Scutaro singled. Potential winning run on 1st.

batmanZoSo
05-08-2004, 12:36 AM
OH, OH, OH FOR THE LONG ONE!

ma-gaga
05-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Ump's squeezing both teams pretty badly. He's been doing this all game. He makes late strike calls depending on the situation more than the actual pitch.

It's still a good game, but it's a little goofy. They should just stop swinging and wait for the ump to walk in the winning run. Thank you Oakland for swinging away.

TDog
Twins go to extras again after that long game against the Mariners this week.

ChiSox14305635
Extra Baseball for those in the Bay. Tied at 9 going to the 10th.

ma-gaga
05-08-2004, 12:42 AM
This thread get's one of these:

:tomatoaward

Thanks to the Twins having a good game.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 12:51 AM
864 year old Terry Mulholland is now pitching for the Twins.

TDog
05-08-2004, 12:52 AM
Leadoff walk. Three more and this game is over.

basilesox
05-08-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well I'm not going to get too down on this one because we're gonna lose games and as long as we're losing them one at a time and not in bunches we're in good shape because that means we're playing .500 ball or better. But of real Concern

Aaron Rowand .239
Joe Crede .238
Paul Konerko .250
Carlos Lee .235

None of them are getting it done 5-8 in the order. Harold Reynolds, you want to know why Frank has so few Runs relative to on base? There's your answer. Seeing Konerko nose-dive like that is really concerning because he might not be back as we thought. Also, no one could have figured Carlos was gonna hit .235. I mean I figured he'd hit closer to .280 than .300, but not in this manner. He's just totally lost up there.

The only genuine bright spots are Uribe (.385), who somehow managed to find a way to increase his average (3 for 5) and Olivo with the 3 run blast (.316). Ozzie is making a serious mistake by having Olivo hit 9th and not in the heart of the order.

Wow......Listen this season is young....Miguel Olivo IS NOT A BETTER HITTER THAN CARLOS LEE or FRANK THOMAS...he should not be batting cleanup.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Runners on 1st and 2nd with one out for the A's.

TDog
Now just two more walks and this game is over.

ma-gaga
Originally posted by TDog
Leadoff walk. Three more and this game is over.

This ump just isn't calling anything. Karros up, runners on first and second and only one out.

Still no strike called. Absolutely baffling. I wouldn't swing if I were the A's. He's calling nothing.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 12:57 AM
Karros fails to get the job done........again.

TDog
05-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
This ump just isn't calling anything. Karros up, runners on first and second and only one out.

Still no strike called. Absolutely baffling. I wouldn't swing if I were the A's. He's calling nothing.

Yet there are now two easy outs because two guys swung.

basilesox
05-08-2004, 12:58 AM

Valentin
Lee
Ordonez
Thomas
Crede

Well Since Hitting is so easy maybe we should put you at SS and bat you 2nd in the lineup. Hey JOse had an RBI and a steal in his first game back. Most guys wouldnt even try to steal after coming off a hamstring injury. Unbelievable.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 01:00 AM
Menechino sucks too.

ma-gaga
05-08-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Karros fails to get the job done........again.

He was dumb, he swung at a pitch. The ump wasn't calling anything. I can't believe how idiotic the A's are. I would absolutely TELL them NOT TO SWING AT ANYTHING.

He just called about 6 pitches over the plate belt hi, balls. Oakland get's aggressive and starts swinging at those 2-0, 3-0 counts and ground out/fly out. At least he's consistant. I wouldn't swing at anything if I were the Twins either... We'll see who gets smarter quicker.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 01:06 AM
After getting ahead of Ryan 0-2, Bradford throws 4 straight balls. What is wrong with Oakland's 'pen?

TDog
05-08-2004, 01:07 AM
I count 17 walks in this game and .111 hitters are swinging away on 3-1. I thought the A's were all about plate discipline.

TDog
05-08-2004, 01:12 AM
A's have another chance to win it. If they don't swing.

Nard
05-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Man Bradford is so cool. :D:

What a release

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 01:18 AM
A's have the winning run in scoring position for the 2nd inning in a row. Can they drive him in this time?

basilesox
05-08-2004, 01:18 AM

What a release
Does everybody have MLB Extra Innings or something is that how you are all watching the Twins game?

ma-gaga
05-08-2004, 01:19 AM

What a release

Looks like the A's are getting smart and the Twins are getting dumb. The A's square to sacrifice with two strikes, and get's the walk instead.

Runners on 1 and 2, no outs, and squeeze ump behind the plate.

Nard
05-08-2004, 01:19 AM
If you can't get a run when you have a RISP with 0 OUTS....

I got MLB.TV by the way.

ma-gaga
05-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by basilesox
Does everybody have MLB Extra Innings or something is that how you are all watching the Twins game?

I get it locally. I'm not sure about the rest...

TDog
05-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by basilesox

I'm following the game on the Internet. I have no idea what it looks like, except that Punto's picture make him look a little like John "Pineapple" Matias.

Nard
05-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Runners on 2/3, 2 outs.

COME ON A'S.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 01:22 AM
C'mon Chavez! End this game for crying out loud!

basilesox
05-08-2004, 01:24 AM
If the Twins win this game.......I am waiting for somebody to blame it on the fact that Jose Valentin started at SS in the Sox game tonight.

Nard
05-08-2004, 01:24 AM
JESUS. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Runners on 1st and 2nd with 0 OUTS and they can't manufacture ONE RUN.

Even WE could manufacture a run in that situation.

ma-gaga
05-08-2004, 01:25 AM
they got out of it. going to the twelvth.

I think I'm going to get a beer...

:gulp:

TDog
At least the A's are making the Twins pitchers work.

ChiSox14305635
Can I just say that Oakland really sucks?

ma-gaga
JESUS. :angry: :angry: :angry:

hey Nard,
Do you think the ump is squeezing both teams?

OurBitchinMinny
05-08-2004, 01:33 AM
Geez Jose didnt waste anytime getting back to old form. 2 ks and and error. I know he did get an RBI though.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Geez Jose didnt waste anytime getting back to old form. 2 ks and and error. I know he did get an RBI though.

The RBI was on a sac fly. Uribe tripled in the previous at bat.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 01:37 AM
How about a home run, Mr. Dye?

ma-gaga
05-08-2004, 01:40 AM
To the 13th. I can spell that. Ump hasn't had a chance to squeeze anyone the last two innings. Everyones swinging away!

TDog
05-08-2004, 01:55 AM
It was 9-9 after 9. C'mon. Please A's. Score and end this thing.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 01:57 AM
Menenchino, you idiot! Mulholland's thrown over 50 pitches, and you help him out by swinging at the 1st one. Dolt.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 01:58 AM
Then Scutaro does the same thing. Unbelievable.

TDog
05-08-2004, 01:58 AM
All three hitters this inning have swung at the first pitch. Fortunately, the guy who fouled it off ended up getting hit so there's still one out left. Pleeeeeese.

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 01:59 AM
OAKLAND WINS!!!!!!!!

TDog
05-08-2004, 02:00 AM
Did the A's just hit a home run?

ChiSox14305635
05-08-2004, 02:01 AM
Byrnes homers to end it!!!!! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

OurBitchinMinny
Thattaboy byrnes

Nard
Yeah, Byrnes with a 2-run shot!!

santo=dorf
Eric Byrnes with the walk-off!!!!!
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/entertainment/0302/gallery.simpsons.characters/gallery.mr.burns.jpg
"Excellent! "

TDog
05-08-2004, 02:02 AM
That's the second long extra-inning loss this week for the Twinks. Every little bit helps the Sox cause.

ma-gaga
05-08-2004, 02:03 AM
Nice shot by Byrnes to win the thing. A good way of ending the game. A walkoff walk would have pissed me off.

G'night everybody!

Nard
05-08-2004, 02:05 AM
Twins have to just be exhausted.

These past four games that's a 1-3 record in 47 innings of baseball on the road...

StillMissOzzie
05-08-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Eric Byrnes with the walk-off!!!!!
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/entertainment/0302/gallery.simpsons.characters/gallery.mr.burns.jpg
"Excellent! "

Burns? Byrnes? What's the difference - WAY TO GO A's !!!

SMO

idseer
05-08-2004, 08:24 AM
isn't it interesting that this POST GAME thread worked for about a day ....

clearly the point of it was to stop the "damn, he struck out' posts by dunderheads who use it as if it were an instant message forum. sure enough, halfway thru it there they are again with a different game making the same stupid posts ... and throw in the, yes, i'll say it ... IDIOTS who can't make posts without cub references in them and we're right back where we started!
these are the jerks who've already ruined the 'official game threads' for the rest of us. i can only assume this 'post game thread' will soon have the same fate.

what is WRONG with you people?

jabrch
05-08-2004, 09:30 AM

That's silly. Did you see his stats from last year? So he is starting off cold - BFD. He's a good hitter.

batmanZoSo
05-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
That's silly. Did you see his stats from last year? So he is starting off cold - BFD. He's a good hitter.

He's good...ho hum. Also horribly streaky like Konerko. People say Magglio's streaky, these two are the poster boys for streaky. Even if Lee reproduces last year's numbers, he's still not really doing us any good. He's another guy who can't field or hit consistently. Month-long streaks of doing nothing at the plate.

Make way for Reed. He should be here next year. Get a dominant setup man for Lee. Someone like Guillermo Mota.