PDA

View Full Version : Out of Towners

niucons
05-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Tonight's game isn't on Directv's package, which drives me nuts. Any of you fellow Sox fans from out of town pay for this? I also put up the money for the radio feed on mlb.com, so in cases like this and day games at work I can get Rooney and Farmer.

What do the rest of you do? Watch the MLB gamecast? Follow along on WSI?

Just wondering.

MetalliSox
05-07-2004, 08:39 PM
It's on WCIU, just local channel in Chicago.

niucons
05-07-2004, 09:37 PM
That's the problem. Back when I was in DeKalb, we couldn't get the U games then, it drove me nuts. MVP on the radio was useless, because they faded out at nightfall.

I'm stuck in the same boat now. It sucks. Why the heck does the U still get games. When the new network comes on line next year will this happen? Again, to the Sox fans who pay the cash for the Directv games, are we going to get them? Heck, I ran between the Sox broadcast and the Royals/BoSox game on the TV tonight.

stillz
05-07-2004, 09:47 PM
I get FSN and WGN on Direct TV too. Missing the WCIU games kills me. MLB.com radio works, but I'm not always on the computer. It's a pisser if you wanna relax for a specific game that's only local.

I'm confident that Comcast will deal this new Chicago Sports Network to Direct TV. I hope anyway.

Thigpen Rules
05-08-2004, 12:40 AM
you can go to mlb.com & they have all the games on there. & you usually always get hawk on there too :smile: i found this out after i got the mlb package. i think u can get a free 3 month trial but its not that expensive anyway. though i just use my friends account

OurBitchinMinny
05-08-2004, 01:30 AM
I get the few games on 'GN, but other than that I listen Im on mlb.com or else follow a gamecast or go to chat. It sucks not being able to see more games

pudge
05-08-2004, 03:01 AM
Actually, it's a lot better now than it used to be... ESPN used to force black outs on all Wednesday night games, which drove me crazy. At least they've finally lifted the blackouts.

There will be very few Sox games not available on Directv this year -- only games on WCIU that are also not broadcast by the opposing team... tonight just happened to be a rare night where that was the case.

samram
05-08-2004, 08:35 AM
I bought the mlbtv package for $80. It's been pretty good so far. I had heard that it froze a lot, but for the most part it's been good. However, I usually go to WSI chat and end up "watching the game" through there because it's about a minute ahead of mlbtv. For some reason, I can also get WMVP down here at night.

compy75
05-08-2004, 08:56 AM
I have had the Directv package since 2000, and basically when I saw the Sox game was not on FSN I knew we were in trouble last night. Basically, all DTV does is take their local sports channel packages (All FSNs and a handful of others like YES, NESN) and throw all the games together. Since Toronto area is not under that coverage, our only hope is the Chicago affiliate. Thus, if it was on local tv and we played Detroit, we'd get the game.

humansushi
05-08-2004, 10:18 AM
I pay $22 a month for 2-3 random live games a day( 5 Sox games per month) here in Japan. MLBTV is blacked out in Japan, so its Rooney and Farmer on Gameday Audio. Unless of course the Sox are playing the Mariners or Yankees, which all games are broadcast without a subscription.

adsit
05-08-2004, 10:54 AM
I've had Gameday audio for the past several years, and it suits me. I'd thought about getting the Extra Innings digital cable package this season, but it's pretty steep ($180, IIRC), especially when I consider I work in the evenings and wouldn't see many weeknight games live anyway, whereas I can stream the radio coverage unobtrusively. And I'm really not into taping sports telecasts to watch later.

Sometimes I go to a neighborhood bar where they get all the games on satellite and know me well enough to throw one of the screens over to the White Sox. That way, I can socialize too. :gulp:

Other than that, because I'm a relative cheapskate, I get the 16 or so games thrown on NESN or Yes when the Yanks or Boston play our Sox (subtracting the one or two of those I go to see live), and the occasional ESPN pickup.

iwannago
05-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by niucons
Tonight's game isn't on Directv's package, which drives me nuts. Any of you fellow Sox fans from out of town pay for this? I also put up the money for the radio feed on mlb.com, so in cases like this and day games at work I can get Rooney and Farmer.

What do the rest of you do? Watch the MLB gamecast? Follow along on WSI?

Just wondering.

Take my wife out to dinner.