PDA

View Full Version : 5th Starter?

bigdommer
05-07-2004, 03:39 PM
I took a look at the schedule for next week, and it is pretty obvious with an off day Monday and 3 straight games before the Twins come to town that we WILL need a fifth starter by next weekend.

I know its only May, but every game against the Twins is very important, so...I hope we are counting on a 5th starter or a guy on 3 days rest to pitch against our main competition.

I think that, if they bring someone up, they should do it for one of the early home games against the O's next week. 1) This would allow 3 of our main 4 to pitch against the Twins. 2) It would allow the 5th guy to pitch at home against a team that we just played. 3) If the 5th guy pitched Tuesday or Wednesday and struggled, the bullpen would could relieve him and be rested before the Twins' series.

So, the question: should the Sox call up a 5th starter, who should it be, and what game should he start?

Kuzman
05-07-2004, 03:41 PM
no i think the 4 man rotation will be solid, with all 4 of our pitchers being as solid as they have been we'll be and not turn into danny wrights we'll be alright.

the sox should have done what the yanks did to contreares and send him down to A ball!

34 Inch Stick
05-07-2004, 04:07 PM
I like your idea big. I don't think the Sox will do it, but it is logical. I think Burhle is the man to give the extra day of rest.

ma_deuce
05-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Until we pick up another quality starter, I would almost prefer we keep the four man rotation. I can't think of anyone (except for Cotts, but we need him in the pen for now) that can take the spot and offer anything more than a few innings.

Deuce

Mohoney
05-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by ma_deuce
Until we pick up another quality starter, I would almost prefer we keep the four man rotation. I can't think of anyone (except for Cotts, but we need him in the pen for now) that can take the spot and offer anything more than a few innings.

Deuce

Maybe Pittsburgh will look past the 12-14 record and realize that they suck worse than that. Maybe we can get Kris Benson for Wright, Borchard, and cash.

iwannago
05-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney
Maybe Pittsburgh will look past the 12-14 record and realize that they suck worse than that. Maybe we can get Kris Benson for Wright, Borchard, and cash.

Your're a dreamer.

niucons
05-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney

Second the dreamer quote. Nobody's that stupid to take that trade. I vote Cotts, we can live with one Lefty in the pen until Kelly's back.

By the way, what ever happen to Rouche?