PDA

View Full Version : Frank at First...?

NonetheLoaiza
05-07-2004, 03:16 PM
I don't know if or how often this topic has been discussed in the past, but does anyone think Frank should play first maybe twice a week? I mean, statistically, I think everyone is aware at how much better he hits. I was just wondering, because I wouldnt mind seeing him at first once a series. Hes an average defensive 1B with little range and a terrible arm, but last year it seemed to work out for us when he was at first.

Your thoughts?

kennyv
05-07-2004, 03:22 PM
I think it would be great...

voodoochile
05-07-2004, 03:24 PM
On the road it is clearly the right move. The Sox need his bat to be hot and Frank is definitely hotter when he can stay loose between bats.

Blueprint1
05-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Frank sucks at first. We all are aware of this. I guess that stats show it improves his hitting but i dont think he even wants to play first.

misty60481
05-07-2004, 04:04 PM
plus he might hurt himself again in the field he is not very graceful around the bag

npdempse
05-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Frank sucks at first. We all are aware of this. I guess that stats show it improves his hitting but i dont think he even wants to play first.

He definitely made noise about wanting to last year.
His defense isn't THAT brutal, and c'mon, it's first base. Ozzie's going to have to start giving him some time at first with interleague coming up next month.

bigdommer
05-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
On the road it is clearly the right move. The Sox need his bat to be hot and Frank is definitely hotter when he can stay loose between bats.

I agree. Play him at first, on the road sometimes. But only with a right handed pitcher, because, with a lefty, if they try to steal on first move, that puts a lot of pressure on Frank to make a difficult throw. And, as a first baseman, pickoffs with the runner going would be the only thing that Frank would be below average at. Look at Jeff Bagwell. He can't throw the ball from first to home, yet he plays pretty well night in and night out. I would just encourage Frank to take the sure out on a double play ball, depending on the situation.