PDA

View Full Version : Sox Get Respect on San Diego Talk Show

TheBull
05-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Much to my surprise Scott Merkin of MLB.COM was a call-in guest to San Diego’s XPRS (flagship station of the Padres) sports talk show tonight with hosts, John Fricke and John Kentera. Other than predicting Uribe will be used as a “10th starter” upon Jose’s return by splitting time at SS, 2nd, 3rd and possibly OF, he didn’t offer anything that has not already been discussed on WSI. However, it was cool to hear Sox talk especially on an off night and in a city where there is a huge population of transplanted Cub fans. I don’t know too many other Sox fans out here.

Merkin went on to praise Cotts, Schoeneweis, and Uribe and host Kentera reiterated to Merkin and listeners that he sticks by his preseason prediction that the Sox will be the one team in Chicago playing in the post season. Merkin also stated that Schoeneweis could very well be this year’s Loaiza and that Schoe’s potentially turning into a diamond a la Loaiza is attributed to the heavy scouting the Sox placed on him. Merkin said that since the Sox do not have a $100M payroll, they must rely heavily on scouting.

I tried to call in and pose the Harris to CF scenario, but could not get the damn cell phone out of my pocket while on the expressway. Nothing earth shattering in the segment, but it’s nice to hear the Sox receive respect on an out of town talk show.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by TheBull
Much to my surprise Scott Merkin of MLB.COM was a call-in guest to San Diego’s XPRS (flagship station of the Padres) sports talk show tonight with hosts, John Fricke and John Kentera. Other than predicting Uribe will be used as a “10th starter” upon Jose’s return by splitting time at SS, 2nd, 3rd and possibly OF, he didn’t offer anything that has not already been discussed on WSI. However, it was cool to hear Sox talk especially on an off night and in a city where there is a huge population of transplanted Cub fans. I don’t know too many other Sox fans out here.

Merkin went on to praise Cotts, Schoeneweis, and Uribe and host Kentera reiterated to Merkin and listeners that he sticks by his preseason prediction that the Sox will be the one team in Chicago playing in the post season. Merkin also stated that Schoeneweis could very well be this year’s Loaiza and that Schoe’s potentially turning into a diamond a la Loaiza is attributed to the heavy scouting the Sox placed on him. Merkin said that since the Sox do not have a $100M payroll, they must rely heavily on scouting.

I tried to call in and pose the Harris to CF scenario, but could not get the damn cell phone out of my pocket while on the expressway. Nothing earth shattering in the segment, but it’s nice to hear the Sox receive respect on an out of town talk show.

Scott Merkin does the beat article for the official Sox site home page a lot if I'm not mistaken. See, the truthful analysis we get when it's coming from someone who actually has to follow the Sox up close?

SEALgep
05-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Since when do you have to follow the Sox in order to analyze them. Mariotti doesn't, so why should anyone else have to.

SSN721
05-07-2004, 07:16 AM
Its just very nice to slowly hear about these stories giving our team props from other parts of the country. It certainly seems like we get more respect from out of town press then we do from our own.

hose
05-07-2004, 07:21 AM
Good to hear the confidence in the Sox from other sources.

Is that 50, 000 watt sports radio station just across the Mexican border still on the air?

Railsplitter
05-07-2004, 09:54 AM
San Diego has a Navy base, so there should be people from all over the country down there.

TheBull
05-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by hose
Good to hear the confidence in the Sox from other sources.

Is that 50, 000 watt sports radio station just across the Mexican border still on the air?

XTRA (690 AM) is still spewing out at least 50K watts and merged with Los Angeles station, KXTA (1150 AM) to simulcast over 127K watts from “the Mexican border to the Canadian Rockies.” The merger shifted emphasis and broadcast studios to Los Angeles, so weak signaled XPRS is gaining in popularity even though it cannot be heard in parts of San Diego County at night. Shades of Sox radio broadcasts of old. Another reason to dislike XTRA is that they gave Jim Rome his first show in San Diego. If you think he is bad now, you should have heard him then.

mann
05-07-2004, 03:11 PM
This is the AP's Sox/Jay's preview: http://sports.excite.com/news/05072004/v2552.html

The first sentence is notable, and it's interesting how we never hear what these characteristics are.

It may be only one month into the season, but the Chicago White Sox are displaying two characteristics of a very good team.