PDA

View Full Version : Brian Anderson on fire...

Randar68
05-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Brian Anderson, the 5-tool CF'er 1st round pick in last draft, is on fire at Winston-Salem. he has been in and out of games with his wrist still giving him some soreness, mostly as a precaution and for rest, but he's been back and healthy for the past week and a half or so.

Last 4 games:
Tonight: 4-5, 1 2B, SB, 1 RBI, 2 R
Wed: 4-6, 2 2B, 1 R, 2 SB, 2 RBI
Tues: 0-3 1bB
Mon: 4-5, 2 HR, 5 RBI

Also, Casey Rogowski hit 2 more HR's tonight and Andy Gonzalez went deep for the second straight day. Looks like W-S is starting to hit like everyone thought they would(and other teams feared)...

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Brian Anderson, the 5-tool CF'er 1st round pick in last draft, is on fire at Winston-Salem. he has been in and out of games with his wrist still giving him some soreness, mostly as a precaution and for rest, but he's been back and healthy for the past week and a half or so.

Last 4 games:
Tonight: 4-5, 1 2B, SB, 1 RBI, 2 R
Wed: 4-6, 2 2B, 1 R, 2 SB, 2 RBI
Tues: 0-3 1bB
Mon: 4-5, 2 HR, 5 RBI

Also, Casey Rogowski hit 2 more HR's tonight and Andy Gonzalez went deep for the second straight day. Looks like W-S is starting to hit like everyone thought they would(and other teams feared)...

I don't know that much about him. My personal scouting report says he's the next Eric Byrnes, but that's mostly based on appearance (the number one tool for a quality scout) :smile:

Who would you say he's most similar to in the bigs now? He's left handed, right?

TaylorStSox
05-06-2004, 10:22 PM
That's great to hear.

I'm really rooting for Gonzalez. I'm one of the few that still believe he might be our answer to SS in the future.

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
That's great to hear.

I'm really rooting for Gonzalez. I'm one of the few that still believe he might be our answer to SS in the future.

I think it's a bit discouraging that Gonzalez is still in A ball...I didn't know that. He had a great year at Kanapolis in 2002 or 2001, hitting .323. I thought he'd be pretty close to Chicago by now. Tell me he got hurt.

Randar68
05-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I think it's a bit discouraging that Gonzalez is still in A ball...I didn't know that. He had a great year at Kanapolis in 2002 or 2001, hitting .323. I thought he'd be pretty close to Chicago by now. Tell me he got hurt.

He came straight out of HS in the 5th round of the 2001 draft, what's so disappointing? He's 22 years old and in High A ball, with 1 season in the Arizona rookie league in 2001, 1 year in Bristol in 2002, last year at Kannapolis, and this year at Winston-Salem.

I still like him, but Robert Valido is a much better defensive SS already, and if he keeps hitting, will fly to the top of the White Sox SS prospects (IMO he already is)

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 10:40 PM
He came straight out of HS in the 5th round of the 2001 draft, what's so disappointing? He's 22 years old and in High A ball, with 1 season in the Arizona rookie league in 2001, 1 year in Bristol in 2002, last year at Kannapolis, and this year at Winston-Salem.

I still like him, but Robert Valido is a much better defensive SS already, and if he keeps hitting, will fly to the top of the White Sox SS prospects (IMO he already is)

I thought we drafted him out of college or some post high school thing. Wasn't he in some kind of Air Academy or am I thinking of someone else?

At any rate, it would be nice for him to make the leap to Birmingham before the year is over. He still seems to be lagging to me. 22 and still in A ball? Are you sure that's okay for a high school drafted prospect? I'm usually in the college prospect timetable, I don't know.

Randar68
05-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Who would you say he's most similar to in the bigs now? He's left handed, right?

I often hate to make comparisons to MLB players, because people go bonkers and fail to understand the true purpose of that.

Anderson is the best defensive OF'er in the system right now IMO. By no means does he have Kenny Lofton speed, but olivo-type speed would be pretty accurate, IMO. Harris would be the only current Sox player to have clearly better speed. Absolute gun of an arm and good footwork.

Short and powerful stroke, he generates a lot of power without the length of swing a guy like Borchard has. He's going to strike out, but he'll definitely take a walk. He has a plan at the plate and is mentally way ahead of 99% of hitters in A-ball. If he stays healthy, I would EXPECT to see him in Birmingham in a couple months.

Brian Anderson is a righty, 6'3" 200# and powerfully built. Very strong young man..

Randar68
05-06-2004, 10:50 PM
I thought we drafted him out of college or some post high school thing. Wasn't he in some kind of Air Academy or am I thinking of someone else?

At any rate, it would be nice for him to make the leap to Birmingham before the year is over. He still seems to be lagging to me. 22 and still in A ball? Are you sure that's okay for a high school drafted prospect? I'm usually in the college prospect timetable, I don't know.

Gonzalez is a year older than most kids drafted out of HS, as he is originally from Puerto Rico and spent one year at a prep school in Florida.

He's not behind schedule and i would expect he'd spend all of this season in winston-salem.

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 11:18 PM
Gonzalez is a year older than most kids drafted out of HS, as he is originally from Puerto Rico and spent one year at a prep school in Florida.

He's not behind schedule and i would expect he'd spend all of this season in winston-salem.

Thanks for the info. I knew there was something different about Gonzalez and the average HS kid.

The last two years have been so depressing for me I haven't been motivated to really follow the farm system or any other faction of the Sox but the Sox themselves. This season is starting to peak my interest though...

Rex Hudler
05-07-2004, 01:47 AM

I agree he will stick in W-S this year. Gonzalez problems are between his ears. He'll need to grow up before he can get close to the bigs.

Randar68
05-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Brian Anderson, the 5-tool CF'er 1st round pick in last draft, is on fire at Winston-Salem.

ho hum, he only went 2-3 tonight with a walk, and RBI, a double, and 2 runs scored.

His average is now at .338 after being in the low .200's barely 10 days ago.

MRKARNO
05-08-2004, 09:51 AM
ho hum, he only went 2-3 tonight with a walk, and RBI, a double, and 2 runs scored.

His average is now at .338 after being in the low .200's barely 10 days ago.

That's incredible. I remember that I had been checking his stats everyday, but then I got fed up with seeing him and Sweeney in the .220's-.230's, but now he's hitting incredibly. I dont know what's up with Sweeney though...

Randar68
05-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
That's incredible. I remember that I had been checking his stats everyday, but then I got fed up with seeing him and Sweeney in the .220's-.230's, but now he's hitting incredibly. I dont know what's up with Sweeney though...

Earlier in the season I had heard that sweeney was beining pitched around to some extent, but I don't believe that's the case anymore. right out of Iowa HS to High A ball!?!?

Very tough transition, but the way he hit in spring training, it may just be self-imposed pressure?

Hangar18
05-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Randar, thanks for the Updates, Ive been curious as to what
was happening with our minor league guys.

MRKARNO
05-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Earlier in the season I had heard that sweeney was beining pitched around to some extent, but I don't believe that's the case anymore. right out of Iowa HS to High A ball!?!?

Very tough transition, but the way he hit in spring training, it may just be self-imposed pressure?

Brian Anderson is 22 and Ryan Sweeney is 19, so it's a little bit more important that Anderson rises through the minor league ranks at an accelerated pace I would guess. If Sweeney is at AAA by 21 years of age, which he should be, then there is a good future ahead for this organization.

Would it be smarter to rush Anderson a little bit because he did spend 3-4 years in college? I figure Anderson will be here september '05 or Spring '06 and Sweeney one year later barring a pick up in progress this year. Is that about right Randar?

HomeFish
05-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Hrm? Brian Anderson is 1-3 with a 7.14 ERA.

MRKARNO
05-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by HomeFish
Hrm? Brian Anderson is 1-3 with a 7.14 ERA.

We're not talking about the KC Royals' Brian Anderson, we're talking about Chicago White Sox 2003 1st Round Draft pick Brian Anderson who was taken with the 15th overall pick last year and is an outfielder who is currently at High Class-A Winston Salem

HomeFish
05-08-2004, 11:22 AM
I know that, I just wanted to get a dig at the Royals in.

MRKARNO
05-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by HomeFish
I know that, I just wanted to get a dig at the Royals in.

It's difficult to detect sarcasm over the internet...which is why we use teal at WSI.

Plus the Royals are a non-factor anyways :smile:

DrCrawdad
05-08-2004, 11:38 AM
If I read the box scores correctly, Borchard has missed a few games for Charlotte. What's up with Borchard, is he hurt?

Randar68
05-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
If I read the box scores correctly, Borchard has missed a few games for Charlotte. What's up with Borchard, is he hurt?

I haven't heard, but if he doesn't play this weekend, i'll try to get a ahold of someone in Charlotte. The guy plays so hard-nosed, but always seems to be nicked-up...

Randar68
05-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Brian Anderson is 22 and Ryan Sweeney is 19, so it's a little bit more important that Anderson rises through the minor league ranks at an accelerated pace I would guess. If Sweeney is at AAA by 21 years of age, which he should be, then there is a good future ahead for this organization.

Would it be smarter to rush Anderson a little bit because he did spend 3-4 years in college? I figure Anderson will be here september '05 or Spring '06 and Sweeney one year later barring a pick up in progress this year. Is that about right Randar?

Anderson played only 3 years of college in the PAC-10, which, IMO, is about high-A-level competition (although the PAC-10 season is less than half as long as a professional full-season league) Anderson had an injury-marred sophomore year, and missed the second half of rookie league last year with his wrist injury.

I prefer they don't rush either of them. I expect Anderson will get to see some AA at-bats later this year, how soon is obviously dependent upon on how long he keeps hitting like this. I would expect and hope Sweeney get's a full season in W-S unless he goes nuts at the plate or is being completely pitched-around, as some have been worried about after the strong spring showing.

Anderson is likely to move relatively quickly, although nobody should panic if he moves slightly more slowly than Reed. Reed is a born hitter, who knows how to work counts and has a good mental approach. His success also has only a small correlation to his slugging. Anderson has a good idea at the plate, but he's a power-hitter too, and that usually doesn't adjust/come as quickly as one moves up...

hogsmom
05-08-2004, 10:17 PM
What's up with Kris Honel? Haven't heard anything lately.

Rex Hudler
05-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by hogsmom

on DL...... don't see him coming off soon..... had pain in his elbow...... no pain now, but no velocity either

MRKARNO
05-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Anderson went 2 for 5 with an RBI and 2 runs scored tonight to raise his average to .341. Sweeney had a good day for a change, 2 for 4 with a walk a run and a RBI.

Elsewhere in the minors, Muņoz lowered his ERA to 1.23 in Birmingham to improve to 5-0 after allowing no runs on 7 innings. Are we gonna throw him in the bandbox at Charlotte or can he make the AA-MLB jump right away? We were ready to put him on the team LAST year before a major setback in performance during Spring Training.

SoxxoS
05-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Who thinks that Anderson has a chance to win a spot next spring, in anyone's opinion? You got to think he is going to finish the year at AA.

Granted, we don't know who is going to be in the outfield then...but if we DO resign Maggs and CLee is traded...

A Reed-Anderson-Ordonez outfield would not only be able to rake, but throw some leather as well.

Rex Hudler
05-09-2004, 03:51 AM
Birmingham pitchers faced one over the minimum tonight as two of Munoz hits allowed were erased by double play balls.

Birmingham IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Munoz, Arnie (W 5-0) 7 3 0 0 0 4 0 1.23
Allen, Wyatt 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 5.74
Bajenaru, Jeff 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 0.71

Chisoxfn
05-09-2004, 11:20 AM
I haven't heard, but if he doesn't play this weekend, i'll try to get a ahold of someone in Charlotte. The guy plays so hard-nosed, but always seems to be nicked-up...
Nothing wrong with Joey B. He was probably getting a couple days off. Also, Rauch is probably going to be moved to the bullpen at least for the time being, which is something I find extremely odd.

Chisoxfn
05-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by hogsmom
Him and Wing are going to be out a bit, imo.

batmanZoSo
05-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

A Reed-Anderson-Ordonez outfield

http://www.szilagyi.us/images/Random/homer-drool.jpg

"sweeeeeeet."

Chisoxfn
05-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

His back has been bothering him.

Wanne
05-10-2004, 04:13 PM

Not familier with Valido...where's he at? But until they move Mike Morse from AA there's really not any room for these guys to go. Is Morse considered a future SS candidate or what? He's got some good power numbers going this year.

Chisoxfn
05-10-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Wanne
Not familier with Valido...where's he at? But until they move Mike Morse from AA there's really not any room for these guys to go. Is Morse considered a future SS candidate or what? He's got some good power numbers going this year.
Valido is in Kannapolis and will probably spend most of the season their. He could eventually move up to Winston Salem, although I think the Sox will take things slow with him.

Plus, you have Morse whose been one of the best players in Birmingham. Morse could easily move up to Charlotte though, although frankly, he isn't ready. He still is a very raw hitter, although Morse does have some upside.

Andy Gonzalez, Morse, and Valido all have done good so far this year. I'm rather surprsied by the positive performance by Gonzalez and Morse.

Randar68
05-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Wanne

Valio was drafted last year out of Miami Coral Park HS and is already succeeding in low-A Kannapolis. Best defensive SS in the system.

Morse is not going to stick long-term at SS. 1B or 3B maybe. He hasn't hit his whole minor league career until now, so he's going to have to sustain this level of success in order to regain any kind of prospect status.