PDA

View Full Version : harold reynolds that evil genius

petekat
05-06-2004, 10:15 PM
1st he pegs the pale hose for 4th place.

Then commenting on a highlight showing Eric Gagne shutting down the Marlins with the bases juiced, gaining his 9th save, in a 9-4 win.

"9-4. That's not a save score. He must have entered the game really early".

Box score. 1/3 IP. 3 pitches. Idiot.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-06-2004, 10:20 PM
are you surpised with that from bbtn? im not

CHISOXFAN13
05-06-2004, 10:22 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a closer who enters the game with the tying run on deck gets credit for a save.

Again, I could be wrong.

EDIT: He is getting credit for a save in every box score I've seen.

beckett21
05-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
If I'm not mistaken, a closer who enters the game with the tying run on deck gets credit for a save.

Again, I could be wrong.

I'm never quite sure on this. I always thought it was with the tying run "in the hole," hence the three-run save.

CHISOXFAN13
05-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
I'm never quite sure on this. I always thought it was with the tying run "in the hole," hence the three-run save.

Such a gray area here. But I'm poretty sure in a situation like this with the lead of more than three, if the tying run is on deck, he gets credit for a save.

Obviously looks like the case since every box score is ccrediting him with one.

beckett21
05-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Such a gray area here. But I'm poretty sure in a situation like this with the lead of more than three, if the tying run is on deck, he gets credit for a save.

Oh yes, that's not what I meant by three run save. What I meant was starting the 9th inning with a 3-run lead.

The rule would be with the tying run in the hole IIRC, so with the bags juiced and a 5 run lead this would certainly be a save situation.

The official scorer does have the authority to make a judgment call and either award/deny a save based on the pitcher's performance however. For example, they pitch 3 innings of a blowout but are ineffective, the scorer could decide not to award a save.

In this situation, however, no doubt he qualifies for a save.

petekat
05-06-2004, 10:39 PM
yup, if you enter the game with the tying run on deck and you put out the fire, you get the save. obviously. harald didnt know this.

Jeff Brantley's insights: "Gagne, reason he's a great closer- he's got intestinal fortitude"

later talking about the A's bullpen woes: "theyre problem, if they havent been able to attract anyone with intestinal fortitude"

gotta hand it to BBTN for freaking sheeer brilliant analysis.

Hondo
05-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by petekat
yup, if you enter the game with the tying run on deck and you put out the fire, you get the save. obviously. harald didnt know this.

Jeff Brantley's insights: "Gagne, reason he's a great closer- he's got intestinal fortitude"

later talking about the A's bullpen woes: "theyre problem, if they havent been able to attract anyone with intestinal fortitude"

Huh. I always thought Gagne was a great closer because of his control of his 100 MPH FASTBALL.

Brantley has a mullet you can't trust anything he says.

JRIG
05-06-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
Huh. I always thought Gagne was a great closer because of his control of his 100 MPH FASTBALL.

Brantley has a mullet you can't trust anything he says.

I thought Gagne was a great closer because he has the "closer's mentality." You know...like Billy Koch.

rmusacch
05-06-2004, 10:48 PM

Again, I could be wrong.

EDIT: He is getting credit for a save in every box score I've seen.

If the tying run is on deck when he enters the game, the pitcher gets credit for a save. The bases were loaded when Gagne entered the game so that is why he got the save.

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by petekat

He's a tard. I'm sure he's been waiting months for the opportunity to use the phrase "intestinal fortitude."

kittle42
05-07-2004, 10:55 AM

This is why the save is the stupidest stat not called the hold in all of baseball.

sas1974
05-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
This is why the save is the stupidest stat not called the hold in all of baseball.

Agreed. The only reason they have the save, and the newly invented hold, is so those numbers can tie directly to contract $$$. "Hey I had 35 holds last season. I want $5MM!"

kittle42
05-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
Agreed. The only reason they have the save, and the newly invented hold, is so those numbers can tie directly to contract $$$. "Hey I had 35 holds last season. I want $5MM!"

Can't you get a hold for going, for example, 2/3 of an inning, giving up two runs, as long as you still leave with the lead and a save situation?

Orta 4-6-3
05-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Unless they changed the rule recently, a pitcher gets a save if:

1) he pitches the ninth inning with a lead of three or fewer runs

2) he pitches the final three innings, regardless of the lead

3) he comes in with the tying run at least as close as the on deck circle

And, of course, he actually has to finish the game.

fquaye149
05-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
He's a tard. I'm sure he's been waiting months for the opportunity to use the phrase "intestinal fortitude." '

the definition of hillbilly eloquence is using 7 syllables to say a one syllable word.

Brian26
05-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Orta 4-6-3
And, of course, he actually has to finish the game.

And, of course, his team wins :D: