PDA

View Full Version : Closer trade options according to Rozner...

mweflen
05-06-2004, 08:45 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=38112211

Rozner seems to think a trade for a closer is coming in the next few months. which guy would you want?

Also, where will Koch and his $6.2 million bucks go? Will we eat that cost to get a reliable arm?

I would personally think Marte could do it, but his 2 for 5 save opportunities is scary.

Not as scary as Koch being the everyday option, though....

mweflen
05-06-2004, 08:55 PM
You know what, though, the more I see of Shingo (2.61 ERA, .162 BAA) the more I start thinking.... hmmmm.....

SoxFan76
05-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Not Graves or Marte. 2-5 for Marte? Come on, Koch atleast is 5-6, although it has been a heart wrenching 5 saves.

Biddle or Looper sounds good. I actually don't know much about Looper, and I'm not saying him because of his 0 ERA, but I do know Biddle was pretty good last year.

mweflen
05-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Looper was the Marlins closer last year. He was 28-34 SVO with a 3.68 ERA last year. And they had a pretty good team...

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
Not Graves or Marte. 2-5 for Marte? Come on, Koch atleast is 5-6, although it has been a heart wrenching 5 saves.

Biddle or Looper sounds good. I actually don't know much about Looper, and I'm not saying him because of his 0 ERA, but I do know Biddle was pretty good last year.

We're not getting Biddle back, that would be just weird. Looper throws like 100 mph (which in Sox terms is 91). Wasn't he on the Fish last year? I voted for him, but I would also like Graves.

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-06-2004, 09:01 PM
I don't want any of those guys on the sox, other than Rocky Biddle because he was one of my favorite white sox players. What about Eddy Guardado? I think he only has a 1 year deal with the Mariners and they've stunk so far this season.

beckett21
05-06-2004, 09:05 PM
How about none of them? I refuse to vote. They are all awful.

NOTE: this is NOT an endorsement for Billy Koch. It's a write-in vote for Cliff Jackson-Takatsu-san. :D:

Keep Marte in his current role. Please.

SoxxoS
05-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Tell you one thing...Takatsu is impressing the hell out of me. The first time I saw him pitch was against Tampa Bay, and he made hitters look downright foolish. The only thing that scares me is that he is going to give up the gopher ball...the closers worst enemy. Walks are bad (cough...Koch...cough) but homers are runs on the board in an already close game.

It just goes to show you...spring training means a lot to some guys (Loiaza), and means nothing to some guys (Takatsu, Wright). We have to remember that next season :D:

beckett21
05-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
We're not getting Biddle back, that would be just weird. Looper throws like 100 mph (which in Sox terms is 91). Wasn't he on the Fish last year? I voted for him, but I would also like Graves.

Looper lost his job 2 years ago with the Marlins to the *great* Vladimir Nunez (remember him--didn't think so). Last year he lost it to Ugie Urbina, not as shameful I guess. He is another guy of questionable make-up, another ticking time-bomb type of guy. A nice guy, for sure, but he would do nothing to slow down the visits to the local cardiologist.

All of those choices are frightening. Just goes to show how true it is that we are not alone in having closer issues. Yikes.

beckett21
05-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Tell you one thing...Takatsu is impressing the hell out of me. The first time I saw him pitch was against Tampa Bay, and he made hitters look downright foolish. The only thing that scares me is that he is going to give up the gopher ball...the closers worst enemy. Walks are bad (cough...Koch...cough) but homers are runs on the board in an already close game.

It just goes to show you...spring training means a lot to some guys (Loiaza), and means nothing to some guys (Takatsu, Wright). We have to remember that next season :D:

Gotta agree, if I HAD to pick one, I'd go Takatsu. Silly silly stuff. Some of those pitches are absolutely obscene.

Jjav829
05-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
How about none of them? I refuse to vote. They are all awful.

NOTE: this is NOT an endorsement for Billy Koch. It's a write-in vote for Cliff Jackson-Takatsu-san. :D:

Keep Marte in his current role. Please.

Man, I know what you mean. The more I look at those names, the more Billy Koch almost starts to sound good to me. I guess I'd choose Looper if I had to choose one of those choices. I have no interest in Joe Table, or Rocky Biddle. Some interest in Graves. But the list of available closers is very underwhelming. Guardado signed for 3 years so there's nothing happening there. Yuck..

mweflen
05-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Shingo's stats break down as follows:

BA against Righties: .080 ( :smile: !)
BA against Lefties: .333 ( :(: )

If he could find a way to pitch around lefty power hitters, I think he would be a lock as a great closer. He already has the makeup for it, having done it FOREVER for the Swallows in Japan.

beckett21
05-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Man, I know what you mean. The more I look at those names, the more Billy Koch almost starts to sound good to me. I guess I'd choose Looper if I had to choose one of those choices. I have no interest in Joe Table, or Rocky Biddle. Some interest in Graves. But the list of available closers is very underwhelming. Guardado signed for 3 years so there's nothing happening there. Yuck..

Scary, but true. :o:

FWIW I would probably say Graves given the choices. But I still refuse to vote.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-06-2004, 09:18 PM
none of those guys really impress me, with the exception of maybe looper or biddle. but no mesa, when he is good he is good, but when he is bad he is "mel rojas bad." no way

cburns
05-06-2004, 09:21 PM
haha...swallows..

beckett21
05-06-2004, 09:21 PM
One thing about Mesa that I thought was funny, that time he threatened to literally kill Omar Vizquel, or inflict some type of severe bodily harm for bashing him in his autobiography. He was dead serious too.

That was a riot! :D:

Daver
05-06-2004, 09:23 PM
I would be more than happy to see Rocky Biddle back,as the fifth starter.

Hoops McCann
05-06-2004, 09:25 PM
I can't say that any of those guys jump out at me. I'd rather take my chances with any combination of what we have now.

cornball
05-06-2004, 09:40 PM
What about Urbina? His price has to be coming down now.

beckett21
05-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by cornball
What about Urbina? His price has to be coming down now.

He toils for the Detroit Tigers now. That ship has sailed.

mmmmmbeeer
05-07-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
He toils for the Detroit Tigers now. That ship has sailed.

Was Urbina's deal 1yr or 2? I bet he'd be available at the deadline.

beckett21
05-07-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by mmmmmbeeer
Was Urbina's deal 1yr or 2? I bet he'd be available at the deadline.

He signed a one year deal. You never know...

TDog
05-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Daver
I would be more than happy to see Rocky Biddle back,as the fifth starter.

I totally agree. I think Biddle wants to start, and I think he would thrive in an environment where he isn't going to be yanked by JM if he allows a baserunner after the 5th inning. I think he would love to be back in Chicago. But I don't think it will happen.

batmanZoSo
05-07-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by TDog
I totally agree. I think Biddle wants to start, and I think he would thrive in an environment where he isn't going to be yanked by JM if he allows a baserunner after the 5th inning. I think he would love to be back in Chicago. But I don't think it will happen.

Biddle was a fluke closer. Now he has an ERA twice that of Koch.

34 Inch Stick
05-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Give it another month and Urbina will absolutely be available. He was a trade waiting to happen from the day the Tigers signed him. Right now they have an obligation to their fans to try to win. They will be back to well below .500 at the end of June and looking to deal a pitcher who is not in their future plans and whose contract is up at the end of the year.

surfdudes
05-07-2004, 10:44 AM
My 14 year old son just clocked mid 50's over at family fun last night.... Should I give KW a call?

mweflen
05-07-2004, 01:55 PM
I've come to the conclusion that the closer role should be a platoon of Shingo and Damaso based on matchups, and we should try to unload Koch by paying some of his outrageous contract (up to 3 mil worth).

NonetheLoaiza
05-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by mweflen
I've come to the conclusion that the closer role should be a platoon of Shingo and Damaso based on matchups, and we should try to unload Koch by paying some of his outrageous contract (up to 3 mil worth).

i agree. some sort of committee is in order until it just doesnt work. it worked for gordon and marte last year...