PDA

View Full Version : Great Chet Lemon Article

Irishsox1
05-06-2004, 01:38 PM
An great article about Chet Lemon.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/09/Sports/Triumphing_over_death.shtml

PaulDrake
05-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Is Chet that ancient to the majority of this board? A fine centerfielder and a true gentleman and yes that was quite a story. Hopefully the pills will keep him around a long time.

tebman
05-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
Is Chet that ancient to the majority of this board. A fine centerfielder and a true gentleman and yes that was quite a story. Hopefully the pills will keep him around a long time.

I hope he's not that ancient. He was a big part of that '77 HitMen
team that lives on in Sox folklore. A great center fielder too.
I was always sorry that he went to Detroit, but at least he got
to play on a championship team there in '84.

A class guy.

- tebman

Dadawg_77
05-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by tebman

A class guy.

- tebman

I was born 1977 so never really saw him play.

tebman
05-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I was born 1977 so never really saw him play.

I guess ancient is in the eye of the beholder! :smile:

- tebman (ancient guy)

Paulwny
05-06-2004, 05:20 PM

A class guy.

- tebman

Agree,
Hang in there Chet !!!

MikeW
05-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Boy, I sure remember Chet Lemon. Got to meet him a couple of times in Sarasota during spring training of 1977-78. He wore #44 and always had that habit of sliding head first into first base because he actually believed he could get there faster. Most baseball people thought the opposite. Getting Lemon from Oakland was one of Roland Hemond's best trades.

Railsplitter
05-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Through most of Lemon's tenure with Sox, there was no center feild fence,just that high wall, and he covered that spacious area quite well.

john2499
05-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Chet was my favorite player, I remember he just looked like a ballplayer, always dirty, batting gloves hanging out his back pocket (even when he was batting no less). I think the Sox got Steve Kemp in return, from Detroit. I don't think Kemp lasted beyond '83 or '84 though. Detroit get the better end of that deal.

Joel Perez
05-06-2004, 09:59 PM
I met him at a Circuit Assembly of Jehovah's Witnesses in 1980. My dad somehow ran into him where they were having their conventions on 75th (79th???) back in those days.

He got me from my seat, knowing that Chet was one of my favorite WS fans still until this day.

FYI--Baseball Weekly also ran an article on Lou Whitaker a couple of weeks ago, another Witness. Very good read as well.

Chet, if you're anywhere reading this...Isa 40:31.
Agape!

Lip Man 1
05-06-2004, 10:51 PM
That was a very nice story on one of the better Sox players of the late 70's / early 80's.

Chet was a nice man but did have his run ins with Tony LaRussa that was one of the reasons he was traded for Steve Kemp. The other was that he was so quiet, shy and deeply religious that some of his Sox teammates thought he was stand-offish.

Lip

TDog
05-06-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Through most of Lemon's tenure with Sox, there was no center feild fence,just that high wall, and he covered that spacious area quite well.

I recall that in at least one season he had more than 500 putouts, which amounts to a lot of work for a centerfielder.

beckett21
05-06-2004, 11:35 PM

A class guy.

- tebman

1977 is the year I generally associate with becoming a Sox fan. I was 7 years old at the time. I loved all those guys, particularly Zisk and Gamble. But Chet Lemon was another favorite of mine without question. Great player, great guy. Fun to watch.

Sad to hear of his troubles. Certainly wish him the best.

Kroozah
05-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Another ancient guy checking in....

Great speedy centerfielder, patrolling the then 445 centerfield....I don't know how he survived sliding into third base wearing those shorts. :D:

Hows that??