PDA

View Full Version : SUBSTINATIVE ways to better market baseball

Hondo
05-06-2004, 01:35 PM
This talk of Spiderman webs on the bases got me thinking.

Who in the MLB offices actually think this is a way to increase attendence and tv ratings? (both of which are already up this year) I personally think it's LAME

Is it me or does it take more than colorful bases or shiny objects to keep you attention for a 3 hour baseball game?

This smacks of old out of touch codgers being told what's hip by ad execs and marketing morons who haven't been cool since members only jackets.

So I was thinking about some things that would draw even more attention to the sport and drive those oh so precious "numbers" up.

-On broadcasts instead of showing some dope from a crappy sitcom why not give away tickets to young hollywood actors or artists in the hip hop community.

-Bring back "Monday Night Baseball" on ABC with Al Michaels and an ex player. (Any Ideas?)

-How about a few commercials without Sammy? This isn't anti-cub. It's just that baseball is blessed with some great personalites that aren't being utilized.

-I think it'd be great if there was and Al Davis type owner who had a team like the Raiders. Full of misfits and castoffs.

-Move Montreal to Monterrey, Mexico and while we're at it really reach out to the rapidly growing hispanic population in the US.

I personally don't need any gimmicks to watch. I'm already hooked.

What are your thoughts?

thepaulbowski
05-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
-Bring back "Monday Night Baseball" on ABC with Al Michaels and an ex player. (Any Ideas?)

They already have Monday Night Baseball on ESPN.

thecell
05-06-2004, 01:39 PM
-Move Montreal to Monterrey, Mexico and while we're at it really reach out to the rapidly growing hispanic population in the US.

I totally agree with this. Latin players make up a sizeable chunk of players in MLB. The Sox should especially reach out to the community considering that the population of Hispanics is huge on the South side.

rahulsekhar
05-06-2004, 01:42 PM
This talk of Spiderman webs on the bases got me thinking.

Who in the MLB offices actually think this is a way to increase attendence and tv ratings? (both of which are already up this year) I personally think it's LAME

My thought is that this is NOT about increasing attendance, it's about new revenue streams (i.e. the fees being paid by Columbia pictures to MLB).

Personally, I don't have a problem with that....if increasing the financial health of the game leads to some sort of cost control/revenue sharing (both between teams and between players & owners).

Hondo
05-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
They already have Monday Night Baseball on ESPN.

Yeah but while ESPN in is most homes that have cable and most homes have cable, network TV still has an edge and not just in terms of ratings.

Tekijawa
05-06-2004, 01:44 PM
-I think it'd be great if there was and Al Davis type owner who had a team like the Raiders. Full of misfits and castoffs.

I heard there's a team that took a guy named Estaban who was practically out of baseball and made hi a Cy young Contener... They also Picked up this Joke Schoenweisse and made him into a decent starter when just one year before he was a crappy reliever... they Also had a Guy Named Cliff and I think Michael Jackson that had been Cast off from their other teams... and Some Missfit from Japan that no one wanted either... I heard this team was run by some crazy guy who grew up in Central America of all places....

Now if we only had the Al Davis type owner we'd be set!

Bobby Thigpen
05-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Now if we only had the Al Davis type owner we'd be set!

Cue Mark Cuban.

Dadawg_77
05-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Don't drag the game through the mud to win a labor negotiation like the owners did last time.

HebrewHammer
05-06-2004, 04:37 PM
You mean member's only jackets aren't cool?