PDA

View Full Version : It Might be Time...


RKMeibalane
05-06-2004, 12:36 PM
...for Ozzie to give Frank some starts at first base. Frank has been swinging the bat well over the past two weeks, but the offense has been somewhat inconsistent. It might be a good idea for Guillen to put Thomas at first for a few games just to see what happens. The only downside to this is that Frank's hamstring is a concern. Beyond that, there's nothing negative that can come out of this.

Deadguy
05-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
...for Ozzie to give Frank some starts at first base. Frank has been swinging the bat well over the past two weeks, but the offense has been somewhat inconsistent. It might be a good idea for Guillen to put Thomas at first for a few games just to see what happens. The only downside to this is that Frank's hamstring is a concern. Beyond that, there's nothing negative that can come out of this.

I would like to see this in Toronto, if Thomas is 100% healthy.

I know Konerko doesn't like to DH, but it'd be nice to see him offer to make a move that was similar to Thomas' move to the clean-up spot. Konerko's Yawn-tastic .826 OPS production is nothing to get excited over anyway, and is rarely game altering, but Thomas has the potentional to be the best hitter in the league when he is locked in.

And yes, Konerko is the better 1st baseman defensively, as is just about everyone who has ever played the position, but it is the least important position defensively.

poorme
05-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Has he been taking infield practice?

Deadguy
05-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Has he been taking infield practice?

He ussually does during pregame warmups, since he is listed on the depth chart as an "emergency 1B".

poorme
05-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
he is listed on the depth chart as an "emergency 1B".

That's funny. In case Konerko, Gload, Burke, Lee, Dransfeldt, and Uribe go down in pre-game BP, Thomas is ready to step in.

Deadguy
05-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by poorme
That's funny. In case Konerko, Gload, Burke, Lee, Dransfeldt, and Uribe go down in pre-game BP, Thomas is ready to step in.

He really has nothing else to do during warm ups. I remember Sportscenter showing Thomas warming up last August before a Yankees-White Sox game in NY, and he had a glove on and was taking grounders.

This was after JM had informed the world that Thomas would only play 1B in emergency situations, so he still plans on remaining somewhat ready in case called on to do so.

Etownsox13
05-06-2004, 04:06 PM
They should start Frank at 1st one game a week (Sundays). That way he may start lighting it up more with the bat, and he'll be ready to play when interleague play comes, and he can play some 1b in the national league parks.