PDA

View Full Version : Closer Trouble

dan
05-06-2004, 11:41 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but it was really painful to Koch nearly repeat the same thing that he did monday night. If Takatsu continues to show that he can dominate right handed hitters, then why not give him a shot to close it out in the 9th? It seems like there will be one of these games where we only have a one run lead, and Koch WILL cost us the game. I hope that a couple of blown saves aren't the only reason that Ozzie decides to switch closers.

kittle42
05-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Because Takatsu sucks, but I'll take a bag of rocks over Koch right now.

Rocky Soprano
05-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
Because Takatsu sucks, but I'll take a bag of rocks over Koch right now.

Takatsu sucks?

His first outing was bad, but since then he has been great.

Why do you say he sucks?

poorme
05-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Takatsu ought to be given the chance to close. He won't walk guys and most likely he'll get a lot of grounders and our infield defense looks pretty good right now. Doug Jones was a great closer and he threw in the low 80s.

beckett21
05-06-2004, 12:33 PM
I'd have to agree that I see no reason why Takatsu cannot close at this point.

We just need someone who can come in and get three outs consistently. Who cares how fast he throws? His first outing can be chalked up to any number of factors. Since then, he has been pretty darn reliable. To say he flat out sucks is inaccurate and unfair.

Billy Koch has established a pattern for well over a season now. Enough. If anyone *sucks*...

Jackson could probably do the job as well. I'd even give Politte a crack at it despite past history, although that may be tempting fate.

The less opposing hitters see of Takatsu the better. I think he would do a fine job.

DaveIsHere
05-06-2004, 12:42 PM
we can advertise for "anyone that can throw strikes" to be our closer. I would rather lose from getting hit around then by walking four guys.

MRKARNO
05-06-2004, 05:15 PM
So far Takatsu has shown to be our best reliever. While he does not have the lowest ERA (that belongs to Neal Cotts), he does have 10 Ks in 10.1 IP which means a K/9 rate of 8.72. Gordon had a ton of success last year because he averaged more than a strikeout an inning. He also only has 3 walks, which is not bad for that amount of innings pitched.

Shingo's stats since that first outing in NY:

9.1 IP
9 K
2 BB
4 H
1 ER
0 HR
0.99 ERA

kennyv
05-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Koch looks too nervous on the mound for my comfort level... hopefully he'll settle down as Ozzie is still naming him as the closer.

Paulwny
05-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Anyone remember the Orioles closer during their hay days ?
He was the first Koch. Weaver would chain smoke cigarettes in the tunnel leading to the club house while one of the coaches would inform what was occurring on the field.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Anyone remember the Orioles closer during their hay days ?

Which decade, the O's were good for a long time. In the 80's they had Tippy Martinez closing and if I remember correctly, Tom Paciorek always said that he was the toughest pitcher he faced.

TRL
05-06-2004, 05:53 PM
I think Koch is going to be fine. Yes, he scares everyone when he pitches, but if he has at least a 2-run lead I think he will get the job done. However I don't know if I'd trust him with a 1-run lead. He's got to quit walking everyone.

Paulwny
05-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Which decade, the O's were good for a long time. In the 80's they had Tippy Martinez closing and if I remember correctly, Tom Paciorek always said that he was the toughest pitcher he faced.

No, not Matinez, I think it was the late 60's early 70's.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Either way, I was looking through the old rosters and check out the starting staff of the 1971 O's. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1971.shtml) All I can say is wow!!!!! :cool:

kittle42
05-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Maybe Shingo has the stuff, but I think it was either McNeil or Boers/Bernstein saying this the other day - after that guy goes around the league once, look out. I tend to agree.

OurBitchinMinny
05-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Takatsu sucks?

His first outing was bad, but since then he has been great.

Why do you say he sucks?

I dont say he sucks, but he is shaky. His ERA and everything is good, but its just a matter of time before the league figures him out. Everyone of his pitches seems to go to the warning track.

Paulwny
05-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Either way, I was looking through the old rosters and check out the starting staff of the 1971 O's. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1971.shtml) All I can say is wow!!!!! :cool:

Yep, that was a hell of a staff. I'm also looking at old rosters but non of the relievers names ring a bell.

kennyv
05-06-2004, 06:33 PM

I think that is it totally... far too many walks for comfort!