PDA

View Full Version : Like/Dislike Koch

denialorcoped
05-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Okay, I am curious to know how everybody feels about Koch. Last night I heard on the radio that some people loved him, while others still aren't sure; this seems to be the consensus. I for one don't think he's that great; he used to be. In Oakland he was throwing in the upper nineties, but now he's lost some speed and it's really showing. I can't understand how people out there can still love this guy. Once he starts pitching good I'll start respecting him.

Deadguy
05-06-2004, 11:31 AM
I don't hate Koch, because I honestly believe he gives 100% everytime he goes out there, but he is clearly not the same pitcher he was in Oakland.

poorme
05-06-2004, 11:34 AM
He seems like a nice enough guy, but I hate him as a pitcher.

Acid
05-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Hate is a strong word that I dont feel can be used in this case. When I see him on the mound I gasp and try and understand why he keeps getting run out there even though it is plain to see he is not the right guy for the job.

Irishsox1
05-06-2004, 11:37 AM
When he gets a save, I love him. When he blows a lead or loses the game....I hate his guts! It's the same way I feel about every White Sox closer.

kittle42
05-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Check one of the nine zillion other threads discussing him.

TaylorStSox
05-06-2004, 11:54 AM
I'd like him to be on my side in a bar fight but not my closer.

He still has good enough stuff to be above average but not spectacular. I really think he doesn't believe in it anymore.

1951Campbell
05-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by poorme

Bingo!

Bobby Thigpen
05-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Can't say I despise him as a person, but as a pitcher I can clearly state that I hate him. I told my wife as soon as I turned on the TV in the 9th and it was 6-4 that he would try to find a way to blow it, and he nearly did. I know closers live on the edge, but as somebody said yesterday, what's so bad about a 1-2-3 inning at least once a year?

SEALgep
05-06-2004, 12:15 PM
I like him, and I still think he's going to be productive. Although he has been ugly out there, he's gotten the job done. He also apologized to his teammates, coaches, and fans about making the game close and walking those guys. He appeared very upset about it and took responsibility. That means something to me, and it shows he is trying to rectify it, which I personally think we'll see improvement. Are we going to see him next year, probably not, but right now, we could really have worse. Check around the league. His only blown save, we ended up winning it anyway.

SSN721
05-06-2004, 12:31 PM
I dont hate him, but I certainly dont like him either. I like his attitude but that only gets you so far. If he can string together a good number of consecutive saves I will like him more but I still feel right now he wont be closing the entire year. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do.

mdep524
05-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Hate is such a strong word.... I hate Billy Koch.

beckett21
05-06-2004, 12:41 PM
:bkoch: = :gascan

Paulwny
05-06-2004, 01:22 PM
I dislike him because he's ruining my health. I smoked 3 cigarettes while he was on the mound last night.

MHOUSE
05-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Koch seems like a great guy and I think he genuinely wants to help this team and contribute in any way that he can. It seemed like last year he really felt like he let everyone down (which he did). I think he has a lot of experience and that helps, but he just can't help but live on the edge. Has he ever had a 1-2-3 inning? I don't remember watching him much in the regular season with Oakland, but was he as much of cardiac kid then? He's on a roll and getting it done despite a couple runs, so let him go with it before going to Marte, Politte, Takatsu, etc.

skottyj242
05-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Billy's my guy!!!!

Baby Fisk
05-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by poorme
This probably encapsulates most people's sentiments. He's guaranteed good for a lead-off walk and a self-deprecating sound byte to follow.

PaulDrake
05-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I dislike him because he's ruining my health. I smoked 3 cigarettes while he was on the mound last night. I don't smoke, but I feel myself hyperventilating when he takes the mound in the 9th inning. Honestly, this is going to catch up to us sooner or later. We need a real closer.

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2004, 03:58 PM
I don't hate him at all. He seems like a good guy and a good clubhouse guy. He's also a pretty decent pitcher. However, his location seems to be poor, evidenced in his tendency to issue lots of walks. He's not the perfect closer by any stretch of the imagination. As long as the Sox are going into the ninth with a one-run or two-run lead (especially on the road), they need a lock-down reliable closer. Koch is not that. I really feel that I am going to suffer a massive coronary this year, and I usually only get to follow Sox games in WSI chat! If I keel over and croak at my computer, I'm sure my wife will grow to dislike Billy Koch! :o:

MRKARNO
05-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Koch's problem it seems is that he does not have a really good out pitch. The fastball looks pretty good. The 4-seamer just looks ok, but the 2-seam fastball is also going at 94 MPH and has a good amount of movement. Koch needs to develop an offspeed pitch to catch hitters off-balance. Hitters just keep fouling off the fastball and wait on a ball so that they can draw a walk. He can turn it around because he has the best stuff I've seen since he got here, but Takatsu would be a less scary option

kennyv
05-06-2004, 05:31 PM
What Koch said to the media after last nights game tells me that he knows he needs to get his stuff together... plus he cares for the fans it seems... as he mentioned his performance was pathectic. I can only imagine what it is like to be in such a pressure situation like that... we need to give the guy a measure of credit as it is not an easy job being a closer.

CubKilla
05-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by denialorcoped
Okay, I am curious to know how everybody feels about Koch. Last night I heard on the radio that some people loved him, while others still aren't sure; this seems to be the consensus.

I'm sure of one thing in regards to Billy Botch. He sucks.

OurBitchinMinny
05-06-2004, 07:39 PM
I like and respect koch because he genuinely seems to be trying. He takes responsibility for his screw ups. I want him to succeed but I get real nervous when hes on the mound. Maybe hes adjusting to getting some of his velocity back and cant locate it yet. I hope he keeps the job as long as last night doesn happen all the time

Nick@Nite
05-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by denialorcoped
Okay, I am curious to know how everybody feels about Koch. Last night I heard on the radio that some people loved him, while others still aren't sure; this seems to be the consensus. I for one don't think he's that great; he used to be. In Oakland he was throwing in the upper nineties, but now he's lost some speed and it's really showing. I can't understand how people out there can still love this guy. Once he starts pitching good I'll start respecting him.

I'm in the "like" column... he's a gamer.

soxwon
05-06-2004, 08:28 PM
i like the guy-hate his beard-but he is exciting.
i didnt pay$5 for his tshirt at soxfest for nothing lol

chidonez
05-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Okay. I don't think this is a referendum on Koch the pitcher, just Koch the closer. He's obviously been effective. However, I'm not convinced that he's our best guy in the closer role. Ozzie seems convinced that we haven't seen the best yet. I'll submit to his judgement. But I have to say that I'm nervous. I'd rather have a less flashy strike thrower in there.