PDA

View Full Version : Tribune Sports Editor Knows of Hangar's Media Watch


BeerHandle
05-06-2004, 09:28 AM
I was out for Cinco de Mayo at Blue Agave last night. After I had my fill of margaritas, I strolled over to Garrett Ripleys. While I was watching the end of the Sox game I began talking to two gentleman. One ended up being the Sports Editor at the Tribube. I asked him if he was aware of WSI and he really didn't give an answer.

I then began telling him about Hangar's Media Watch. He then piped up and said he has heard about this guy. He said. "the fact is that there are more Cub fans then Sox fans and that is why there will always be more Cubs coverage."

I think it is time to prove him wrong. Lets get some huge crowds when our FIRST PLACE WHITE SOX COME HOME!

On a side note, it was great that both Blue Agave and Garrett Ripleys had the Sox game on and did not have the Cubs on. A few Flubs fans asked if they would put on the Cubs game and the owner of Garrett Ripleys said, "Not a chance!"

GO SOX!

jackbrohamer
05-06-2004, 09:36 AM
At least he didn't pretend to be fair. It's more than just the amount of coverage for each team. It's the condescending, anti-Sox tone of every article they write ab out the team.

BeerHandle
05-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
At least he didn't pretend to be fair. It's more than just the amount of coverage for each team. It's the condescending, anti-Sox tone of every article they write ab out the team.

I agree.

On a side note, he said they are trying to do a article on Hawk, but nobody knows of his personal life and he rarely does interviews with the media.

daveeym
05-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I was out for Cinco de Mayo at Blue Agave last night. After I had my fill of margaritas, I strolled over to Garrett Ripleys. While I was watching the end of the Sox game I began talking to two gentleman. One ended up being the Sports Editor at the Tribube. I asked him if he was aware of WSI and he really didn't give an answer.

I then began telling him about Hangar's Media Watch. He then piped up and said he has heard about this guy. He said. "the fact is that there are more Cub fans then Sox fans and that is why there will always be more Cubs coverage.

I think it is time to prove him wrong. Lets get some huge crowds when our FIRST PLACE WHITE SOX COME HOME!

On a side note, it was great that both Blue Agave and Garrett Ripleys had the Sox game on and did not have the Cubs on. A few Flubs fans asked if they would put on the Cubs game and the owner of Garrett Ripleys said, "Not a chance!"

GO SOX!

Wadhwa is that you? Are you finally posting?


Originally posted by BeerHandle


I agree.

On a side note, he said they are trying to do a article on Hawk, but nobody knows of his personal life and he rarely does interviews with the media.


Yeah, sure, right, they'd just rip into him for 1/3 of the article at the very least. Hawk may be a good ol' boy but he ain't stupid.

BeerHandle
05-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by daveeym
Wadhwa is that you? Are you finally posting?
Yeah, sure, right, they'd just rip into him for 1/3 of the article at the very least. Hawk may be a good ol' boy but he ain't stupid.

Nope, but he was there. Is he the Mayor of Pepper Canister and Garrett Ripleys?

BeerHandle
05-06-2004, 10:34 AM
I forgot to mention that the Tribune guys was there with a guy who used to write for the Sun-Times sports section. I can't remember his name, but he no longer works there. At least he was a Sox fan!

Lip Man 1
05-06-2004, 10:42 AM
From Bob Vanderberg's WSI Interview:

ML: Well we know youíre a Sox fan, beat writer Paul Sullivan is a Sox fan, columnists Melissa Isaacson comes from a Sox family, and didnít you tell me the new Sports Editor of the Tribune is a Sox fan?

BV: "Thatís right. Dan McGrath is the new Sports Editor. Heís from the South Side, went to St. Leo high school, lives in Beverly and roots for the Sox".

If what you say is true, Dan's right...there are more Cub fans because of what the Sox have done, or haven't done, the last 20 plus years. The Tribune is in business to make money...as long as there are more Cub fans around they are going to devote the lion's share of coverage to them. (and that doesn't even get into the fact that the parent company owns both entities.)

Lip

BeerHandle
05-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
From Bob Vanderberg's WSI Interview:

ML: Well we know youíre a Sox fan, beat writer Paul Sullivan is a Sox fan, columnists Melissa Isaacson comes from a Sox family, and didnít you tell me the new Sports Editor of the Tribune is a Sox fan?

BV: "Thatís right. Dan McGrath is the new Sports Editor. Heís from the South Side, went to St. Leo high school, lives in Beverly and roots for the Sox".

If what you say is true, Dan's right...there are more Cub fans because of what the Sox have done, or haven't done, the last 20 plus years. The Tribune is in business to make money...as long as there are more Cub fans around they are going to devote the lion's share of coverage to them. (and that doesn't even get into the fact that the parent company owns both entities.)

Lip

Lip,

Nice job with the archive. I agree with you. The Sox were the team in the early 80's and let it slip away. It is time for the South Side to Rise Again. This is the year to do it with a crazy, nail bitting team. I LOVE IT!

Hangar18
05-06-2004, 11:42 AM
I see the Insurgency is QUIETLY being Acknowledged the last few months. Im really hating that excuse "there are more cub fans, thats why we print more cub stories" BS.

Before, they Used to say "Were an UnBiased Daily, and we cover BOTH teams equally", now that Ive been publishing
the TRUTH, the MEDIA is just outright using that new excuse.

Someone point out that guy to me........... I wouldve said "Liar, You kept Outcubbing the Sun-Times and started a Cubpoganda War here with them and making the Cubs Legends for years.......THATS WHY THERE ARE 'MORE FANS'. All at our Expense"

But thats just me :smile:

daveeym
05-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Nope, but he was there. Is he the Mayor of Pepper Canister and Garrett Ripleys?

Yes I'm talking about the Mayor. He actually just emailed me almost word for word with your first post. While he doesn't post he's the reason i've gotten addicted to WSI.

Tekijawa
05-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I agree.

On a side note, he said they are trying to do a article on Hawk, but nobody knows of his personal life and he rarely does interviews with the media.

Is Jay Moronotti doing the interview? If so they should Televise it and put it on pay-per-view there would probably be quite a few blows exchanged!

34 Inch Stick
05-06-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I was out for Cinco de Mayo at Blue Agave last night. After I had my fill of margaritas, I strolled over to Garrett Ripleys. While I was watching the end of the Sox game I began talking to two gentleman. One ended up being the Sports Editor at the Tribube. I asked him if he was aware of WSI and he really didn't give an answer.

I then began telling him about Hangar's Media Watch. He then piped up and said he has heard about this guy. He said. "the fact is that there are more Cub fans then Sox fans and that is why there will always be more Cubs coverage."

I think it is time to prove him wrong. Lets get some huge crowds when our FIRST PLACE WHITE SOX COME HOME!

On a side note, it was great that both Blue Agave and Garrett Ripleys had the Sox game on and did not have the Cubs on. A few Flubs fans asked if they would put on the Cubs game and the owner of Garrett Ripleys said, "Not a chance!"

GO SOX!

You should have slipped him a roofies, put him in a compromising situation on Division Street, taken pictures and then threatened to leak the news unless we see more White Sox coverage.

billnahorodny
05-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Gotta love that objective journalism! So can we expect Tribune election coverage in November to swing with whoever is ahead in the polls?

BeerHandle
05-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I see the Insurgency is QUIETLY being Acknowledged the last few months. Im really hating that excuse "there are more cub fans, thats why we print more cub stories" BS.

Before, they Used to say "Were an UnBiased Daily, and we cover BOTH teams equally", now that Ive been publishing
the TRUTH, the MEDIA is just outright using that new excuse.

Someone point out that guy to me........... I wouldve said "Liar, You kept Outcubbing the Sun-Times and started a Cubpoganda War here with them and making the Cubs Legends for years.......THATS WHY THERE ARE 'MORE FANS'. All at our Expense"

But thats just me :smile:

I will disagree with you on one point - There are more Cub fans in chicago. As much as I love the Sox, I believe there are more Cub fans in Chicago.

tebman
05-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by billnahorodny
Gotta love that objective journalism! So can we expect Tribune election coverage in November to swing with whoever is ahead in the polls?

A few weeks ago there was another thread about the Trib and
there (pretty obvious) bias toward the Chicago Nationals. The
description of the sports editor's remarks just reminded me of
what I posted in that other thread:

Conspiracy theories involving the Tribune are fun, but I don't
think they consciously tilt their energy toward the Cubs. I *do*
think, however, that there's an implicit assumption among the
editors that the corporate purposes of Tribune Company are
well served if the sister company is given a nod. As business-friendly
as the Tribune and its corporate parent are, I think it's just an
automatic, almost subliminal response to take care of The Company.
The net result is bright color pictures of Cub games
above the fold and smiley-faced discussions about them on
channel 9 and 720 radio.

I think if the Sox started making big money, the Trib would fall
madly in love with them too. I always think of meetings at the
Tribune as being held in dark-paneled conference rooms with
portraits of Colonel McCormick glaring down at them, and the
officers and editors sipping brandy and puffing cigars as they
congratulate each other on their prudent stewardship of The Company.

The editors remarks just confirms my suspicion: "Let the seance
begin so that we might ask The Colonel what to do!"

- tebman

wdelaney72
05-06-2004, 01:33 PM
The Cubs are a national, household name. It is a fact that there are more Cub fans than Sox fans. Boo hoo and so what. I don't like it, but that is the way it is.

If JR doesn't like that, he might want to try winning.

BeerHandle
05-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
The Cubs are a national, household name. It is a fact that there are more Cub fans than Sox fans. Boo hoo and so what. I don't like it, but that is the way it is.

If JR doesn't like that, he might want to try winning.

I agree. The Cubs have most of their 162 games on WGN (National Broadcast). As a kid growing up it is hard not to turn on the TV in the afternoon and find the Cubs on.

GoSox2K3
05-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I see the Insurgency is QUIETLY being Acknowledged the last few months. Im really hating that excuse "there are more cub fans, thats why we print more cub stories" BS.

Before, they Used to say "Were an UnBiased Daily, and we cover BOTH teams equally", now that Ive been publishing
the TRUTH, the MEDIA is just outright using that new excuse.

You are absolutely right! For years the media said "we're not biased - Sox fans are just paranoid!". Now, they can no longer defend this lie and they are switching to a new excuse "We cover the Cubs more because there are more Cub fans". I have heard or read so many sports reporters say that this season that it's making my head spin. You'd think they are all politicians spouting the prescribed party line - or lawyers spouting the same line to defend their client.

This new excuse is further ramming the same myth down our throats - the myth that nobody follows the Sox. There are more Cub fans in Chicago, but the press is misleading us into thinking that hardly anyone follows the Sox. Last year, 5 million fans attended major league baseball games in Chicago. Of that 3 million attended a Cubs game and 2 million attended a Sox game. So, the Sox got 40% of the attendance market even though the other team draws a ton of tourists and people who go to Wrigley because it's close to where they live or recreate. Not to mention years of non-stop positive coverage of the Cubs in the press and nonstop negative coverage of the Sox in the press. When I spin the numbers this way, that sounds like a pretty strong following for the Sox all things considered. But, by listening to the media, you'd think that the fan ratio was more like 90% Cubs to 10% Sox. :angry:

GoSox2K3
05-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by billnahorodny
Gotta love that objective journalism! So can we expect Tribune election coverage in November to swing with whoever is ahead in the polls?

Good point!

Iwritecode
05-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I will disagree with you on one point - There are more Cub fans in chicago. As much as I love the Sox, I believe there are more Cub fans in Chicago.

I'd actually like to see a study done to find out how many fans at the game are actually from Chicago and how many have driven in from Iowa, Rockford, Wisconsin, etc...

I know there is a local radio station here that has a yearly "Cubs bus trip".

Of course they don't do the same for the Sox...

GoSox2K3
05-06-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I agree. The Cubs have most of their 162 games on WGN (National Broadcast). As a kid growing up it is hard not to turn on the TV in the afternoon and find the Cubs on.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I have a question - the Sox have been back on WGN for something like 14 years now. Why hasn't this helped to boost any sort national Sox following?

How long will it take to undo the damage done in the 1980s by having the Sox mostly on pay TV and the Cubs with 162 games on free TV and also on cable nationwide? At this point, both teams split their games between WGN and basic cable (though the Cubs do have a higher % of WGN games) so there is no longer a large inequity in local and national access to the 2 teams.

BeerHandle
05-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I have a question - the Sox have been back on WGN for something like 14 years now. Why hasn't this helped to boost any sort national Sox following?

How long will it take to undo the damage done in the 1980s by having the Sox mostly on pay TV and the Cubs with 162 games on free TV and also on cable nationwide? At this point, both teams split their games between WGN and basic cable (though the Cubs do have a higher % of WGN games) so there is no longer a large inequity in local and national access to the 2 teams.

I think the Sox only have 23 games on WGN.

Hangar18
05-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I have a question - the Sox have been back on WGN for something like 14 years now. Why hasn't this helped to boost any sort national Sox following?


Because WGN Picks the BEST cub games to televise, and Always
will Televise MORE cub gms instead of sox games. Why would they Hype the SOX more? cant do that, undermining your own product is Unheard of in business (Jerry Reinsdorf is the Living Exception)
Remember in ST this year ........WGN/Fox televised like 9 cub gms
and only 3 sox games? and of those 3 sox gms, 2 were against the Cubs themselves?

Lip Man 1
05-06-2004, 11:04 PM
GoSox asks: "the Sox have been back on WGN for something like 14 years now. Why hasn't this helped to boost any sort national Sox following?"

Because they only show 30-35 games per year on WGN-TV. That's much less then when baseball on TV was in its infancy on WGN-TV.

In the early 60's for example WGN-TV used to show about 50-60 Sox games including some road night games.

Big difference from today.

Lip