PDA

View Full Version : I had a dream....

rahulsekhar
05-06-2004, 09:20 AM
The Date: June 10th, 2004

The standings: Sox up 4 on Twins in ALC, 2 back of NYY for best AL record

The news: Kenny Williams executes 2 trades.
1) Joe Borchard, Enemencio Pacheco, and Ryan Wing to the last place Royals for Carlos Beltran (Royals pay all of his salary)
2) Dan Wright and Paul Konerko to the D-Backs for Randy Johnson and $3M (raising Sox payroll $5M)

The GM comments: "We feel like this move strengthens our team. The management group has done all that we can, now it's up to the fans to determine whether we can resign any of our big FAs (Maggs, Loaiza, Beltran). We're just hoping to get some of the fan and media attention the Cubs usually get. if we don't see the attendance, we'll just have to adjust in the offseason."

The Trib headline: "Prior loses 3d straight as Cubs fall to 4th place in NL Central"
Bottom right corner story: "Sox bolster rotation & outfield"

The ST/Mariotti headline: "Sox moves smack of desperation and do nothing to change terrible stadium and bad neighborhood"

The WSI thread: "Why are Sox fans cursed with an owner who won't pay for top caliber 2B & closer? - Lip_Man_1"

Dare to dream!

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2004, 09:25 AM
I think I would wet my pants if KW pulled off those trades.

DaveIsHere
05-06-2004, 09:27 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that is awesome....and oh so true

pearso66
05-06-2004, 09:31 AM
I think you had the WSI post wrong, it should read, "we gave up 3 guys to get 1? FIRE KW!!!!!"

hold2dibber
05-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
The news: Kenny Williams executes 2 trades.
1) Joe Borchard, Enemencio Pacheco, and Ryan Wing to the last place Royals for Carlos Beltran (Royals pay all of his salary)
2) Dan Wright and Paul Konerko to the D-Backs for Randy Johnson and $3M (raising Sox payroll $5M)

That's not a dream -- that's a pipedream. Neither the Royals nor the D-Backs would do either of those trades (and I'm quite confident Johnson, who has 5-10 rights, wouldn't approve it anyway).

TDog
05-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
That's not a dream -- that's a pipedream. Neither the Royals nor the D-Backs would do either of those trades (and I'm quite confident Johnson, who has 5-10 rights, wouldn't approve it anyway).

Randy Johnson seems to like playing in Arizona. A lot. He says he's not going anywhere.

rmusacch
05-06-2004, 11:19 AM

Wow I did not realize that Randy has already been in Arizona for five years. Even if he hadn't, I am sure he would have a no trade clause. Schilling had one that he received money to waive.

rahulsekhar
05-06-2004, 11:23 AM

Who's going to offer more for Beltran? The Yanks can take on the salary, but in terms of prospects, Borchard, Wing, and Pacheco's not a bad group. Joe's still relatively well rated, and Wing is as well.

Of the teams that would be looking to add someone like him, I'd have to think we can come up with as good a package as any. I'd give up anyone except Honel/Reed/Sweeney/Diaz for him.

CHISOXFAN13
05-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Who's going to offer more for Beltran? The Yanks can take on the salary, but in terms of prospects, Borchard, Wing, and Pacheco's not a bad group. Joe's still relatively well rated, and Wing is as well.

Of the teams that would be looking to add someone like him, I'd have to think we can come up with as good a package as any. I'd give up anyone except Honel/Reed/Sweeney/Diaz for him.

So you expect to get one of the game's top 10 players for a package that doesn't include any of our top five prospects??

WOW, you are dreaming.

rahulsekhar
05-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
So you expect to get one of the game's top 10 players for a package that doesn't include any of our top five prospects??

WOW, you are dreaming.

Not to nitpick, but I think I only listed 4 guys, I'd say Borchard probably rates as one of our top 5 prospects. And the bottom line is: who's going to give more for a 1/2 season rentaplayer? Anyone got any recollection on what the last few big deadline deals entailed for the teams trading stars?

beckett21
05-06-2004, 11:38 AM

IIRC, I could be wrong here (and hopefully someone will correct me if I am), but Johnson is in a contract year I believe. He would strictly be a rent-a-player. He would probably just go right back to AZ after the season anyway, so I could see the D-backs trading him in that scenario. Don't know why he would refuse to join a pennant race.

That said, I still don't think it would happen in a million years. However I do not find it completely impossible. Like Jim Carrey said to Lauren Holly in Dumb and Dumber, "So you're telling me there is a chance.....!"

About one in a million, but there IS a chance :)

Beltran--no way. Not even a chance. They will trade him anywhere else just to spite us.

HITMEN OF 77
05-06-2004, 11:57 AM
And then Konerko would hit the game winner for the Diamondback's in the World Series against the Sox. Keep Konerko, dream or no dream!! They can have Danny Wright.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
And then Konerko would hit the game winner for the Diamondback's in the World Series against the Sox. Keep Konerko, dream or no dream!! They can have Danny Wright.

why would AZ want konerko, when they have Richie Sexson, who is superior to PK.

hold2dibber
05-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
IIRC, I could be wrong here (and hopefully someone will correct me if I am), but Johnson is in a contract year I believe. He would strictly be a rent-a-player. He would probably just go right back to AZ after the season anyway, so I could see the D-backs trading him in that scenario. Don't know why he would refuse to join a pennant race.

Johnson is signed through '05.

beckett21
05-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Johnson is signed through '05.

Gotcha. Thanks for checking that. That changes everything then.

We now officially have no chance.

rahulsekhar
05-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Gotcha. Thanks for checking that. That changes everything then.

We now officially have no chance.

Actually, depending on how you look at it, it could increase our chances. If AZ's out of the race and we're willing to take on salary, I can definitely see them trying to shed what I believe is a $16m/yr expense. Randy would also go back to the AL (not that he'sdying to, but as a former AL pitcher, I'd think he'd be amenable to that unlike many all-NL guys), continue to train in AZ, and play for a contender.

The catch is that we'd need to be willing to take on salary, which is why one of the keys in the dream was KW saying "if we don't see the commensurate attendance, we'll just adjust" - i.e. cut / dump other salaries to compensate for Randy.

All that said - it's still just a dream, and between the 2, the liklihood of getting Beltran is a lot higher (but not that high). KC WILL be looking to get what they can for him before too long.