PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/6/04

Hangar18
05-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Guest Caller to the Score today wants to talk about Catchers and speed. Murph "Plants" the following ...."oh, not like a Hector Villanueva or a Gabby Hartnett right?". the guys brutal.
Despite being in 1st place, the Cub-Times runs full-back page pics of the Cubs losing and gives them 5 stories to the Sox 3.

Cubune:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories

Cub-Times:
5 cub stories BackPage Pic
3 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training .........
CUBS 542
SOX 371

mrwag
05-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Sox just need to keep winning. Hopefully, come August and Septmeber when the Sox are STILL in first and the Cubs are in 3rd, out of the race, we'll get some love. We all know where the Sox place is at in Chicago - they just need to play the underdog and keep winning. The respect will come.

soxnut
05-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by mrwag
Sox just need to keep winning. Hopefully, come August and Septmeber when the Sox are STILL in first and the Cubs are in 3rd, out of the race, we'll get some love. We all know where the Sox place is at in Chicago - they just need to play the underdog and keep winning. The respect will come.

I like your attitude bub. :smile:

Rocky Soprano
05-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by mrwag

Very well said. If the Sox keep on winning then the media will be forced to pay attention. Of course by then the media will try to play it like they were Sox fans from the beginning.

faneidde
05-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Very well said. If the Sox keep on winning then the media will be forced to pay attention. Of course by then the media will try to play it like they were Sox fans from the beginning.
Either that or the media will start openly rooting against us. I can think of one columnist and one certain baseball show that would prefer the Sox to fail.

DaveIsHere
05-06-2004, 10:19 AM
I can already hear the media, talking about how weak the division is and not giving us any credit for anything we do.........but hey..we are used to it

If we make the playoffs and the flubs don't you will still hear more about how the Flubs should have been there tha you will about the Sox actually being in the playoffs.

BeerHandle
05-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Guest Caller to the Score today wants to talk about Catchers and speed. Murph "Plants" the following ...."oh, not like a Hector Villanueva or a Gabby Hartnett right?". the guys brutal.

Then stop listening to them. You always complain about them.

cheeses_h_rice
05-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle

That would be too easy, BH...

Irishsox1
05-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Actually, this year of media bias helps the Sox. There is so much pressure on the Cubs, that the cracks are beginning to show. The Cubs lose two in a row and the media and the Cubs all mention the old "let's not panic" line. I can hear the pleas to blow up a goat, or switch Dusty's lucky toothpick or change his lucky sweat bands. As for the Sox, its always who cares?...no one shows up, no one cares....theres no pressure to win, it's all about playing quality baseball. As Moronetti says, the Cubs are making history. So I say, let the media hound the Cubs, while the Sox stay loose and pound Minnesota.

kittle42
05-06-2004, 11:37 AM

Well, he gets upset about the newspaper coverage and TV coverage as well. Should he stop reading and watching, too? These fools must be taken to task, even if in some small respect such as this.

BeerHandle
05-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Well, he gets upset about the newspaper coverage and TV coverage as well. Should he stop reading and watching, too? These fools must be taken to task, even if in some small respect such as this.

I don't like Marrioti so I don't listen to him and read his articles. Why waste time on something you don't like? Life is too short to be bothered by the little things.

Hangar18
05-06-2004, 12:48 PM
I don't like Marrioti so I don't listen to him and read his articles. Why waste time on something you don't like? Life is too short to be bothered by the little things.

Yes, but Mariotti and Murph are PROBLEMS for the SOX.
Simply Ignoring the Problem DOESNT make it go away.
My job is to Acknowledge this Problem against us, and inform my fellow South Side Brothers. Who are you Gonna Trust to tell you the TRUTH, The Cubune/Cub-Times? or a fellow sox fan?

Jerry Reinsdorf has been IGNORING this Problem for 20-something years .........Look where it got us.

Stoky44
05-06-2004, 01:02 PM
This media thing bugs me too. I love the Sox and hate the Cubs. However we must remember the paper is a business. And the truth is the Cubs are much more popular in Chicago. I would say at best 35% Sox fans and 65% Scrub fans. So it only makes more sense to give more articles about the Cubs. I hate it that the Sox get less coverage but I can see why. All we can do is keep winning and then we will get more coverage, so long as the Flubs keep losing.

Hangar18
05-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
This media thing bugs me too. I love the Sox and hate the Cubs. However we must remember the paper is a business. And the truth is the Cubs are much more popular in Chicago. I would say at best 35% Sox fans and 65% Scrub fans. So it only makes more sense to give more articles about the Cubs. I hate it that the Sox get less coverage but I can see why. All we can do is keep winning and then we will get more coverage, so long as the Flubs keep losing.

One day, the Tribune bought the Cubs. The Cubs were terrible and were only getting 15,000 for a game. The upper deck was even closed. Tribune decided to "Sell" other things about Cubs since they stank. Wrigley suddenly became "historic", "good times" were sold there. They began to "out-story" the SOX, for no good reason other than their parent TRIB/WGN owned them.
Sun-Times, which is rival of Trib (hear that jerry? 2 companies in same market?) decides to play along, and tries to "Out-Cub" the Cubune. 20 something Years of Unchecked Cubpoganda, plus Foolhardy behavior by JR pretty soon has the Cubs more "popular" than the SOX. simple explanation

onesox
05-06-2004, 01:47 PM
So Hangar, what you are saying is the more press means automatically more popular????? If that is true then Hollywood would never have a bust at the box office, some big movies advertise to no end and still nobody goes sees it. Having taking a media theory class at ISU.....it is my understanding that the media covers what the public is into not the other way around. I am a sox fan by birth.....not cause I grew up reading about the sox in the paper.

kittle42
05-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by onesox
So Hangar, what you are saying is the more press means automatically more popular????? If that is true then Hollywood would never have a bust at the box office, some big movies advertise to no end and still nobody goes sees it. Having taking a media theory class at ISU.....it is my understanding that the media covers what the public is into not the other way around. I am a sox fan by birth.....not cause I grew up reading about the sox in the paper.

I don't know...it *was* at ISU.

:)

maurice
05-06-2004, 03:49 PM
The most irritating aspect of media bias is that the Cub-Times is far worse than the Trib in many respects. Not only did they give the loser cubs the back page, they got four of the first five pages, none of which contained any articles on the 1st place Sox. Actual Sox coverage again was overwhelmingly negative, a chronic problem with the Cub-Times.

At least the Cub-une has a financial incentive to be cubtastic. If lack of journalistic ethics were a crime, the Cub-Times sports editors would have gotten the death penalty a long time ago.

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by maurice
At least the Cub-une has a financial incentive to be cubtastic. If lack of journalistic ethics were a crime, the Cub-Times sports editors would have gotten the death penalty a long time ago.

Agreed 100%.

Hangar18
05-06-2004, 04:09 PM

Everything your learning about the Media .............Throw it out the Window, especially as pertains to the Chicago Media Journalists ( I use the term "journalists" loosely, Propogandists is more fair) Hollywood does have busts from time to time, but Hollywood also PROMOTES THE HELL OUT OF BIG BUDGET MOVIES.
Look at the SPiderman flick, everyones talking about it......Why?
because of the Ad space on the Bases at ballparks. Everyones gonna go see the movie WHETHER ITS GOOD OR NOT because of the Hype. The medias role is to Inform, not Perform like they Do here in Chicago. guys Like Telander, Murphy, Rapoport,
FredMitchell and his Yellowness himself Mike Kiley ..........these guys are a disgrace. Mariotti Is LAZY too by the way. If he ever decided to take on the Way Reinsdorf has run his team into the Ground, he'd be GOLD here, instead of just talking about Attendance. dork.

alohafri
05-06-2004, 04:11 PM
"I am a sox fan by birth.....not cause I grew up reading about the sox in the paper."

Not all Sox fans are fans "by birth". I was raised a scrub fan because where I grew up there was virtually NO coverage of the White Sox. (Luckily, I was led away from the Dark Side and am now a Sox fan for life.)

...what you are saying is the more press means automatically more popular?????

The lack of truthful and unbiased media coverage of the Sox has hurt them greatly. Never underestimate the power of the media...look at all the bandwagon "fans" of the scrubs there are now--it has become trendy to be a scrub fan--even though the scrubs disgraced themselves with a cheater and the biggest blown WS bid in history. The media is the fuel that keeps the scrub fire burning.

..If that is true then Hollywood would never have a bust at the box office...

Look at Britney Spears. She has a lousy voice, her songs suck, she lip-synchs at all her concerts, yet she is a superstar. The scrubs are marketed by the media in much the same way---dress them up in cute cubby blue, glorify their losses, cover up the bad things about their ballpark and don't dwell on the fact that they're losers. It's all media hype.

Bottom line: winning does not a popular team make (see Florida Marlins). It's all about perception and how the media portrays a team.

---Mrs. Aloha

nasox
05-06-2004, 05:23 PM

The cubs are the exception to every known rule, such as, win and they will come. The cubs didn't win and they still came. All principles just get thrown out when it comes to the flubs.

Hondo
05-06-2004, 05:34 PM
So I'm watching "Around the Horn" and the topic of the show "Friends" comes up.
Mariotti, Michael Smith of the Boston Globe, and Tim Cowlishaw of the Dalls Morning News are discussing the merits of the show since it's going off the air.
I kind of tuned out because I never watched the show but Cowlishaw made the arguement that "Friends" wasn't groundbreaking.
Mariotti's retort was,

"How can you say it wasn't groundbreaking? It dominated Thursday nights for a decade!"

Marriotti equates popularity with greatness, artistic value, what have you.

Marriotti's picks for greatest of all-time:

Movie-Titanic
Album-Thriller
Actor-Adam Sandler

hsnterprize
05-06-2004, 06:01 PM
So Hangar, what you are saying is the more press means automatically more popular????? If that is true then Hollywood would never have a bust at the box office, some big movies advertise to no end and still nobody goes sees it. Having taking a media theory class at ISU.....it is my understanding that the media covers what the public is into not the other way around. I am a sox fan by birth.....not cause I grew up reading about the sox in the paper. My my my...what we must do to educate a deceived public. You took a "media theory" class in college...here's a news flash...I'M IN THE MEDIA...and what Hangar is saying is 100% TRUTH.

Of course you didn't become a Sox fan because of what a newspaper says, but that's unfortunately the case for the north siders. The Cubs are so popular partly because of their connections with the Tribune. Granted, there are other factors that have been beaten more than a dead horse, but there is one thing you must realize...even though the Cubs are running on momentum from last year's season, there has been a steady leaning towards teh Cubs over the past 20 years...basically since the Trib bought the team and the ballpark. Marketing and promotion by the Trib, along with the lack of such from the Sox, adds up to what we see today.

Do you really think people from all over the world would come to Wrigley Field of all places had it not been for the marketing and promotion of that ballpark? Imagine what would've happened to the place if attendance were still like it was back in the 70's and 80's when the Cubs would only play in front of close friends and family. There are reasons why Wrigley Field is so popular, and lemme tell ya...until last year, NONE of the reasons had ANYTHING TO DO WITH A WINNING TEAM!!!!!!

kittle42
05-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize

Do you really think people from all over the world woudl come to Wrigley Field of all places had it not been for the marketing and promotion of that ballpark? Imagine what would've happened to the place if attendance were still like the 70's and 80's when the Cubs would only play in front of close friends and family. There are reasons why Wrigley Field is so popular, and lemme tell ya...until last year, NONE of the reasons had ANYTHING TO DO WITH A WINNING TEAM!!!!!!

This is why people wearing shirts that say "Wrigley Field" with no mention of the team must die.

kittle42
05-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
My my my...what we must do to educate a deceived public. You took a "media theory" class in college...here's a news flash...I'M IN THE MEDIA...and what Hangar is saying is 100% TRUTH.

Whoa. This argument just reminded me of this:

Guy: "I happen to teach a class at Columbia called "TV Media
and Culture"! So I think that my insights into Mr. McLuhan-well, have a great deal of validity."

Alvy: "Oh, do yuh? Well, that's funny, because I happen to have Mr. McLuhan right here...."

Hondo
05-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Whoa. This argument just reminded me of this:

Guy: "I happen to teach a class at Columbia called "TV Media
and Culture"! So I think that my insights into Mr. McLuhan-well, have a great deal of validity."

Alvy: "Oh, do yuh? Well, that's funny, because I happen to have Mr. McLuhan right here...."

GREAT MOVIE!!!!

JohnJeter
05-06-2004, 06:53 PM
"You know nothing of my work". Classic.

alohafri
05-07-2004, 12:14 PM
This is why people wearing shirts that say "Wrigley Field" with no mention of the team must die.

My boss, the scrub fan, has one of those lame shirts. Also, the first question he always asks me the day after I go to a Sox game is what was the attendance. And, he says scrub fans never taunt Sox fans. Says he's never seen that happen.

---Mrs. Aloha