PDA

View Full Version : Koch Quotes

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 01:57 AM
FWIW

Don't ever say he isn't a stand-up guy. DeNiro would be proud.

"Pathetic. There's absolutely no reason in the world I should walk those guys. Let them put the ball in play, and they'll get themselves out," Koch said.

"I'm real happy we won the game," Koch said. "Is that the situation I want to be in? No. That's a pathetic showing. It's not fair to the 24 other guys in this room; it's not fair to the coaching staff. It's not fair to the fans of Chicago to have to sit there and bite your nails down to bloody stumps."

At the very least, he isn't satisfied with mediocrity. This has nothing to do with Koch really, I don't care what anyone says about him getting these saves (I don't like the guy myself), but these kinda quotes are evident of the attitude Ozzie has bestowed upon the clubhouse. Anyone think he's a good manager?

On a side note, it was hilarious watching Ozzie cuss and lose it when Koch walked the first guy.

SpartanSoxFan
05-06-2004, 02:07 AM
I think its pretty obvious Koch realizes his luck is going to run out soon enough, and when it does and he blows a lead and another game ALA Kansas City earlier in the year, he will be done.

IA_soxfan
05-06-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
FWIW

At the very least, he isn't satisfied with mediocrity. This has nothing to do with Koch really, I don't care what anyone says about him getting these saves (I don't like the guy myself), but these kinda quotes are evident of the attitude Ozzie has bestowed upon the clubhouse. Anyone think he's a good manager?

On a side note, it was hilarious watching Ozzie cuss and lose it when Koch walked the first guy.

I don't think anybody here is saying that Koch isn't a nice guy. I'm sure he is, and he seems to genuinely want to live up to his expectations/contract value. BUT, being a nice guy does not qualify you to be a major league closer. I say get rid of him the next time he blows a save, no matter how nice his post-game soundbites sound.

SpartanSoxFan
05-06-2004, 02:28 AM
Also, he may sound like a good guy right here, but I've heard that he didn't really get along too well in the clubhouse last year. Maybe things have changed...I don't really know.

pudge
05-06-2004, 02:39 AM
I say we take advantage of him being such a nice guy, and use him as a SITUATIONAL pitcher only, and find ourselves a dang closer!

inta
05-06-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by SpartanSoxFan
Also, he may sound like a good guy right here, but I've heard that he didn't really get along too well in the clubhouse last year. Maybe things have changed...I don't really know.

where'd you hear that?

coz i read numerous times in the cubmedia last year that he was loved in the clubhouse and was considererd the clubhouse prankster who lightend the mood.

as far as ozzie getting an ulcer this series.... well, get used to managing a MLB franchise.
sure it isnt supposed to be this cardiac, but it could be a helluva lot worse.

kittle42
05-06-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by pudge
I say we take advantage of him being such a nice guy, and use him as a SITUATIONAL pitcher only, and find ourselves a dang closer!

If by situational you mean when we are down at least 10, OK.

ihatethecubs
05-06-2004, 03:58 AM
he also went on the air with mike north of all people right after blowing a game and even took phone calls! gotta give him credit, but he sure is a horrible closer.

Hokiesox
05-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
FWIW

It was doubly hilarious HEARING ozzie lose it.

DaveIsHere
05-06-2004, 09:09 AM
I think it is more frustrating when it looks like he is almost there. FOr instance Monday night, he walked the first guy and then was ahead 1-2 on the next what 2-3 batters and he didn't get some close call, just like last night, but I feel the more he is in there the more the umps will give him the calls, he just has to prove that he can throw strikes consistently........but that may be a stretch.

He is consistent though, he always walks the first batter he faces :)

jabrch
05-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by pudge

Like someone said yesterday, should KW just go to the closer store and find one? Look at how Art Rhodes is working out for The Genius? 5.25ERA, 2.00 WHIP and a .314 opp avg Yeah Billy, anyone can be a closer...

Closing is a hard thing to do. OK - so Koch has been fairly bad at it since he got here, but since we weren't able to find any takers for him in the off season, I think we are stuck with him for the rest of this year. Marte makes a great setup guy - to do whatever inning has a tough lefty in it. Shingo isn't a MLB closer. Politte is really no better than Koch. No excuses for Billy, but show me an option?

bobj4400
05-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
It was doubly hilarious HEARING ozzie lose it.

Were you sitting that close or was he that loud? What did he have to say??

wdelaney72
05-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Koch will not be on this team down the stretch. It's a shame. He is a stand-up guy, and I love his attitude, but he obviously has lost some of his game.

Dramatic finishes in a playoff run don't mix.

Hokiesox
05-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Were you sitting that close or was he that loud? What did he have to say??

I don't know exactly what was said, I only heard a spanish accent over the cheering in my section. I doubt it was flattering. I was six rows behind the dugout. But too far over to be on TV, I noticed.

I actually met ozzie before the game, he signed some lady's shirt next to me and I got to shake his hand, since I forgot my pen. He's a funny guy, some brooklyn native tried spekaing to him in Spanish, he yelled out "c'mon, we're in the states! speak english"

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
He's a funny guy, some brooklyn native tried spekaing to him in Spanish, he yelled out "c'mon, we're in the states! speak english"

Now that is funny. :)

soxtalker
05-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Like someone said yesterday, should KW just go to the closer store and find one? Look at how Art Rhodes is working out for The Genius? 5.25ERA, 2.00 WHIP and a .314 opp avg Yeah Billy, anyone can be a closer...

Closing is a hard thing to do. OK - so Koch has been fairly bad at it since he got here, but since we weren't able to find any takers for him in the off season, I think we are stuck with him for the rest of this year. Marte makes a great setup guy - to do whatever inning has a tough lefty in it. Shingo isn't a MLB closer. Politte is really no better than Koch. No excuses for Billy, but show me an option?

Why do you say that Shingo isn't a MLB closer? He was the all-time saves leader in Japanese Baseball. Now, the game is different in Japan, but I would think that would indicate that he has the make-up (whatever that entails) to close. The Sox haven't put him in that situation, but as his confidence and the team's confidence in him grows, it seems quite plausible to me that he could take on the closer role.

As far as going out and getting a closer, I think that I'd turn it around. Koch has a good record. To a team that is desperate for a closer, he might be very attractive. Let's trade him while he has good value.

daveeym
05-06-2004, 11:06 AM
I was gonna come in and start a thread about this today, but i'm hungover and a bit slow and it fits perfectly into this thread. :) I love Ozzie and all but the last 2 - 3 times koch's been in it's pretty god damn disturbing to see all the dugout shots of ozzie cussing, head in his hands, shaking his head while saying "***", etc.

Obviously Ozzie does not want him in there, yet he still backs koch and koch still is a man about all this ****, so clearly this is a KW mandate. For once i think any griping about KW on this issue is totally justified. Kudos to both ozzie and koch though for doing their job and not causing turmoil over the situation.

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Why do you say that Shingo isn't a MLB closer? He was the all-time saves leader in Japanese Baseball. Now, the game is different in Japan, but I would think that would indicate that he has the make-up (whatever that entails) to close. The Sox haven't put him in that situation, but as his confidence and the team's confidence in him grows, it seems quite plausible to me that he could take on the closer role.

As far as going out and getting a closer, I think that I'd turn it around. Koch has a good record. To a team that is desperate for a closer, he might be very attractive. Let's trade him while he has good value.

The only "makeup" Shingo has is...well...you get what I'm saying.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Intra:

Joe Cowley of the Daily Southtown reported over the winter that last August on the bus ride from the airport to the hotel in Seattle, Koch and Thomas got into a fight and people had to jump in and stop it.

Lip

Iwritecode
05-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Intra:

Joe Cowley of the Daily Southtown reported over the winter that last August on the bus ride from the airport to the hotel in Seattle, Koch and Thomas got into a fight and people had to jump in and stop it.

Lip

I remember reading that article.

By "fight", you mean that Koch was goofing around with Thomas while Thomas happened to be in the middle of a hitting slump and not in a very good mood. For whatever reason, he didn't like the way Koch was joking around with him.

I don't remember if any punches were actually thrown...

SpartanSoxFan
05-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by inta
where'd you hear that?

coz i read numerous times in the cubmedia last year that he was loved in the clubhouse and was considererd the clubhouse prankster who lightend the mood.

as far as ozzie getting an ulcer this series.... well, get used to managing a MLB franchise.
sure it isnt supposed to be this cardiac, but it could be a helluva lot worse.

Well, I'm not sure where I heard it, possibly from one of ESPN's idiots, but I also read on one of the threads here that he and Frank Thomas got into a fistfight last year because Koch was making fun of him.

Hondo
05-06-2004, 05:36 PM
I think it would have been hilarious if Koch came in the clubhouse after last night's game and was like,

"Yeah. That's right. Another Save. That's what I do. Save games."

And then start bitching about how he's underpaid.

That would take some onions.

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
I think it would have been hilarious if Koch came in the clubhouse after last night's game and was like,

"Yeah. That's right. Another Save. That's what I do. Save games."

And then start bitching about how he's underpaid.

That would take some onions.

Why is it called a save? What are they saving? Closer, closing, I can understand, but they're not saving a game by finishing out the last inning. A lot of times they need to be saved.

Also, what's the deal with airline peanuts? Why do the airlines think we all want peanuts? Some people are allergic....at least give me something I can open..... :smile:

I think I just killed this thread. Oh well, it was mine to begin with..heehee....it was supposed to be about Ozzie and the clubhouse attitude in that all the guys seem to have a champ's attitude. I guess I should have named it more appropriately.

Hondo
05-06-2004, 06:55 PM
I think these guys have great team chemsitry.
I think Ozzie has been such a breath of fresh air.

CubKilla
05-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I remember reading that article.

By "fight", you mean that Koch was goofing around with Thomas while Thomas happened to be in the middle of a hitting slump and not in a very good mood. For whatever reason, he didn't like the way Koch was joking around with him.

I don't remember if any punches were actually thrown...

Cowley never said. But Botch was on the DL shortly thereafter :o:

nasox
05-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by SpartanSoxFan
I think its pretty obvious Koch realizes his luck is going to run out soon enough, and when it does and he blows a lead and another game ALA Kansas City earlier in the year, he will be done.

He didn't blow the opening day game against KC. That wasn't his fault. He came in with, what, the bases loaded? Not his fault. That being said, he sucks.

CubKilla
05-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by nasox
He didn't blow the opening day game against KC. That wasn't his fault. He came in with, what, the bases loaded? Not his fault. That being said, he sucks.

I believe he was talking about the game against KC at The Cell on 03/14 or 03/15 where the Sox came back to win.