PDA

View Full Version : Things look good

jabrch
05-06-2004, 12:47 AM
We are in first place in the ALC.

We have the second best record in the AL.

We have a decent 4 man rotation - as good as any from top to bottom.

Our lineup has nobody who CANT hit - and only really a bad hitting CF.

Our starting SS is back - so if Ozzie plays his cards right, we will get Rowand out of the lineup.

We have already finished 20 of our 30 games vs the AL E, the best division in the game. Nobody else in the ALC has played more than 6 vs the East, and nobody has played 6 vs NYY.

Our manager is far better than many thought

Carlos is slumping terribly - Magglio hasn't yet turned it on, they will eventually hit, assumedly to their career averages

The pen is far better than anyone would have thouht - despite Koch's issues

The Royals SUCK

15 of Minnesota's 25 games have been at home. They don't win nearly as much on the road as at home.

We have a fairly strong farm system with some potential impact players nearly ready to come up

We have 3 games at Toronto this weekend where we face the back of their rotation (no Halliday and no Hentgen)

For those Cub-Haters out there, we are 2 games ahead of them - and they are playing TERRIBLE baseball. Were they not playin against the worst of the NL in the first month, they'd be another 3 or 4 games worse in the loss column

We know JR has left KW some budgetary flexibility to add to this team if we need to. That's a strong positive that we will have going for us.

If you ask me, things look pretty good. I know some people will find things to bitch about - they always do. But not me - not right now.

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
We are in first place in the ALC.

We have the second best record in the AL.

We have a decent 4 man rotation - as good as any from top to bottom.

Our lineup has nobody who CANT hit - and only really a bad hitting CF.

Our starting SS is back - so if Ozzie plays his cards right, we will get Rowand out of the lineup.

We have already finished 20 of our 30 games vs the AL E, the best division in the game. Nobody else in the ALC has played more than 6 vs the East, and nobody has played 6 vs NYY.

Our manager is far better than many thought

Carlos is slumping terribly - Magglio hasn't yet turned it on, they will eventually hit, assumedly to their career averages

The pen is far better than anyone would have thouht - despite Koch's issues

The Royals SUCK

15 of Minnesota's 25 games have been at home. They don't win nearly as much on the road as at home.

We have a fairly strong farm system with some potential impact players nearly ready to come up

We have 3 games at Toronto this weekend where we face the back of their rotation (no Halliday and no Hentgen)

For those Cub-Haters out there, we are 2 games ahead of them - and they are playing TERRIBLE baseball. Were they not playin against the worst of the NL in the first month, they'd be another 3 or 4 games worse in the loss column

We know JR has left KW some budgetary flexibility to add to this team if we need to. That's a strong positive that we will have going for us.

If you ask me, things look pretty good. I know some people will find things to bitch about - they always do. But not me - not right now.

I think things are looking good because despite that we have big holes we're still one of the best teams in the game record-wise. Unlike last year, we don't need trades to climb back in, we need them to run away with it.

OurBitchinMinny
05-06-2004, 01:51 AM
I agree that we are off to a great start, but I dont think our 4 man rotation is the best, or among the best. It could be. But Garland and Buerhle are off to slow starts. Garland looks great at times and terrible at others. Schoeny has been the most consistent and loaiza has been up and down. It has the potential to be, but is not yet. Could use a dominant power pitcher in the rotation.

mjmcend
05-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I think things are looking good because despite that we have big holes we're still one of the best teams in the game record-wise. Unlike last year, we don't need trades to climb back in, we need them to run away with it.

That sums it up so very well. And makes my optimism that much more justified.

nasox
05-06-2004, 02:08 AM
I don't see Rowand coming down and being demoted. Even if Ozzie wants to do this, there are probably some people in the front office (KW) who will make Ozzie keep Rowand up. My reaction to that is meh. Maybe we are all wrong and Rowand will turn things around. Why not give him a chance.
We do have a fairly strong farm system but I don't see too many of them coming up. I just don't see KW bringing Diaz up for Wright unless Wright looses his next 3-4 games horrendously. And Reed won't be called up until they are absolutely sure he will get guaranteed playing time. They don't want him to play every third or fourth day like Timo is doing now. I suspect he will be here by late June, almost into July.
And the rest of the points are great. All extremely true (except I don't think that we have the one of the best staffs) Bullpen is good but 1-4 isn't really too solid. Loaiza, although 4-0 has been shaky, and MB has been off. Garland still can't get past the big inning (although he is looking poised to have a breakout year). Show has been great for us, though....hehe
Instead of taking the negative stance of most posters here and most sox fans in general, I like to look at it like this: We are in first and have one of the best records in baseball, and we are doing this without having our hitters hit great and our pitchers pitch well. The hitting will come around for sure, they are too good to play the way they have been playing. And the pitching will be there too, I am pretty sure of that. Overall, a great start, and fun taboot. :smile:

SpartanSoxFan
05-06-2004, 02:33 AM
The schedule coming up in the next few weeks is very critical for us. We face Minnesota twice...I'm gonna try my very best to at least make it to one of the games at the Cell. This is where we can do some damage and get an early psychological edge on our arch nemesis...

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!

inta
05-06-2004, 02:39 AM
i feel good about the MN series coming up. for one i have tickets to a few of those games, and i'm way overdue for some attendance karma. but MN is playing way above their skill. similiar to KC last year. they wont be feasting on bottom feeders for long and that's when we need to take advantage of them.

feel good. feel good.

Hangar18
05-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Imagine if the SOX had Signed an Impact Pitcher to round
out the Rotation ......... This Team would be the Talk of the MLB.

bobj4400
05-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
This Team would be the Talk of the MLB.

Should this be in teal? If not, this is a suprising statement from the leader of the "We get no respect" crowd!!

Railsplitter
05-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Also, the sox were able to hit a few to the gaps last night, something not too common lately (or at least, something that happened when I wasn't around) nine hit may seem impressive, but not when you get only one single in each inning.

Rocky Soprano
05-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Great thread. I just hope our Sox keep on winning! :gulp:

wdelaney72
05-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by nasox
I don't see Rowand coming down and being demoted. Even if Ozzie wants to do this, there are probably some people in the front office (KW) who will make Ozzie keep Rowand up. My reaction to that is meh. Maybe we are all wrong and Rowand will turn things around. Why not give him a chance.

I completely disagree. Rowand doesn't have a contract like Koch. He's cheap labor and very expendable. He's not getting the job done. He's not a proven veteran. He's getting his shot right now, and he's not producing. Plus, he's making stupid mistakes defensively.

If Willie keeps hitting well, he'll be moved to CF in order to be kept in the lineup. Otherwise, KW will pick up a CF around the trade deadline.

I'm not trying to sound negative. I'm very pleased with how the team is playing. I'm very optimisti. Rowand is just not taking advantage of his opportunity.

Hokiesox
05-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Hangar, are you that delusional? This team is going to be under the radar until they win a playoff series.

SoxxoS
05-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Hangar, are you that delusional? This team is going to be under the radar until they win a playoff series.

Unless we keep winning at an outstanding clip...

When/if we do make the playoffs, the Cubs will probably be right there with us...so the news stories probably won't have anything to do with each other.

pjthesox13
05-06-2004, 10:21 AM
I think things do look good for it only being May 6th. We are in a short lead in the ALC and things aren't starting off like the boom we sometimes expect but guys do take a little time to get settled and find their rhythm. Buerhle and Garland do need a few confidence builder games and they could be set. The bats are there they just need to be heated up a little. So if they don't give me a bypass surgery soon, I am really enjoying Sox baseball as of late and I think they will keep it up and just get better.

cheeses_h_rice
05-06-2004, 10:37 AM
My biggest reason for optimism: this team hasn't really looked all that good for the most part, yet they keep winning.

Just imagine what will happen when they actually get their act together.

:)

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 11:39 AM

You want the Sox to be favored? The only way we ever go anywhere is by sneaking through the back door. When the spotlight's on us, we flop big time.

jabrch
05-06-2004, 11:45 AM

Instead of worrying about players we don't have, what if Buehrle just performed consistently. He shouldn't be 1 - 1 right now.

TaylorStSox
05-06-2004, 11:51 AM

Such as? Ponson or Colon? Or how about Escobar? Last years group didn't have many impact pitchers. Pettitte would never ever play on the south side. We tried to get Colon. No thank you on Ponson. Escobar's good, but not an "impact" pitcher.