PDA

View Full Version : Bonehead Blunder 05/05/2004

owensmouth
05-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Timo Perez successfully turning a fly ball into an opposition double earns him the dubious mantel. His play went a long way towards the O's first two runs.

SEALgep
05-05-2004, 09:16 PM
It wasn't a bad try seeing as to how he just missed it, but C Lee should have backed him up. That's why it turned into a double and almost more.

nasox
05-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Serious question.....Is this going to become a regular feature from you? I would think it best to come from Lip, but hey, more negativity, that's what we need at WSI!!!

owensmouth
05-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Only when someone earns it. If and when we play a game that no one messes up, then there's no reason for it. We are talking about a group of people that are doingwhat we all dreamed of doing, and when they fail to produce at a high school quality level, they deserve to be stigmatized.

SSN721
05-06-2004, 06:16 AM
I agree it wasnt a great play, but I give him credit for taking the risk, That was either one you got for spectacular catch, or it was going to be a hit anyway. If Lee was backing him properly it wouldnt have turned into a double. I think it wasnt a great play but I dont know about bonehead play.

cheeses_h_rice
05-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Willie Harris not covering first base on an O's bunt attempt, which led to 2 runs. Not even close.

2nd place would be CLee for not backing up Timo on his catch attempt; it took him 5 seconds to get to the ball, it seemed.

owensmouth
05-06-2004, 11:48 AM
I was watching the broadcast via MLBTV.com. They mentioned at least three times throughout the game that it was a misplayed fly ball. Timo got such a bad jump/read on the ball that he just couldn't get to it. As for Willie Harris, the throw was so high, and slow, that MB got what he deserved, an error. Had the throw not been underhanded, with an arc, Harris could have made the play. He had to wait for the throw, then stretch to catch and get it. By the time the ball got there, so had the runner.

maurice
05-06-2004, 02:40 PM
What bugged me was the way Timo half-assed it. You either dive to try to make the catch, or pull up and field it on one hop. If you dive and miss it, at least keep the ball in front of you, get up, and get the ball in. Timo did none of those things. He just ran past the ball and kept on running away from the ball after it hit the ground. Once he realized he wasn't going to make the play, he gave up completely and turned his head to CLee to clean up his mess. If Rowand did that, there'd be a 16-page thread on the subject.

Harris took his damn time covering 1B. He should have had his foot on the bag, waiting for the throw. Instead, Buehrle had to double-clutch when he looked up and realized that Harris was MIA.

TheRockinMT
05-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
I was watching the broadcast via MLBTV.com. They mentioned at least three times throughout the game that it was a misplayed fly ball. Timo got such a bad jump/read on the ball that he just couldn't get to it. As for Willie Harris, the throw was so high, and slow, that MB got what he deserved, an error. Had the throw not been underhanded, with an arc, Harris could have made the play. He had to wait for the throw, then stretch to catch and get it. By the time the ball got there, so had the runner.

Your right about those comments. I watched the game on ESPN and it was obvious Timo should have had the ball. Harris was late on covering first and Uribe had to play out of the normal SS posiiton and couldn't throw out a runner because of the poor "D". It happens I know, but saying something about it is not being negative, it's the awful truth. The Sox played terrible behind Buerhle that inning and as the ESPN announcer said the Sox gave the Orioles about 7 outs that inning.

Paulwny
05-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Agrre, Timo and Willie both blew their plays.
Was anyone else sick of the ESPN love affair with R. Palmeiro (sp) last night ?

SoxBoy14
05-06-2004, 05:34 PM
hopefully this is the last time somthing like this has happened. Perhaps a lesson has been learned?