PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure Rising...

ghostfacesox
05-05-2004, 10:11 PM
After every nail biting game I feel my heart about to burst out my chest. I hate Koch it's only a matter a time before his luck runs out and Ozzie opts to go with another closer. ( And the sooner the better) :angry:

DSpivack
05-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by ghostfacesox
After every nail biting game I feel my heart about to burst out my chest. '

I think we all share that. It's the "joy" of being a diehard fan.

OEO Magglio
05-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
'

I think we all share that. It's the "joy" of being a diehard fan.
Definitely, wow this stuff is unbelievable, and ghostface maybe billy's luck will run out, maybe it won't but he's always closed games like this and right now he's 5 for 6 in save chances, you have to keep giving him the ball.

soxnut
05-05-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm getting sick and tired of the Koch act. He sucks. The Sox play a good game, should have been over without all of the dramatics.

After the second guy got on, I turned off the game, because I can't take it. I love seeing good baseball being played, but then to have a joke like Koch come in the game and almost ruin it is too much to take.

This guy can take a good game and ruin it. If this keeps up, I don't know how the players can take it. It's a good thing they get the wins, but if these were losses, it would have to be a hug morale breaker. :(:

OurBitchinMinny
05-05-2004, 10:18 PM
The guys is a heart attack waiting to happen, but he did pitch out of it today. Give him credit. I gave him about a 5 % to get out with bases loaded and no outs and he pulled it out. He cant do this every night though.

SEALgep
05-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Definitely, wow this stuff is unbelievable, and ghostface maybe billy's luck will run out, maybe it won't but he's always closed games like this and right now he's 5 for 6 in save chances, you have to keep giving him the ball. I agree, the pen is set up nicely if Koch can close out games. Right now he's doing it, even though its ugly. But hey, the whole team is winning ugly, so why should we single him out.

indysoxfan
05-05-2004, 10:19 PM
putting koch in a game is like playing russian roulette....

soxnut
05-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by indysoxfan
putting koch in a game is like playing russian roulette....

It is. I don't think I've ever seen so much idiocy out of a closer than I have with this guy. Get rid of him. He's a joke.

OEO Magglio
05-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
It is. I don't think I've ever seen so much idiocy out of a closer than I hae with this guy. Get rid of him. He's a joke.
He's 5 for 6 in save chances, deal with him he's the White Sox closer.

markfromthechi
05-05-2004, 10:28 PM
true that indysoxfan

watching koch pitch is gutwrenching. he seems to be down in the count 2-0 everytime. bases loaded with zero outs........ its a good thing our offense scores as much as it does sometimes. my question is.. what if its a one run lead and koch comes in to close? the other team probably will have a lot of confidence when they step up to bat.

i hate koch right now, hes lucky hes 5 out of 6..... hes lucky he didnt blow 3 of those....at least

Uncle_Patrick
05-05-2004, 10:36 PM
I could be wrong, I never followed Koch before he came to Chicago, but wasn't more or less known for pitching these types of games even when he was considered hot? I recall hearing that he was a closer who "would keep you on the edge of your seat." He'd load the bases but get get out of the jam with the save. He wasn't ever a "1-2-3 9th inning" guy. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of all this, but if he's getting the job done, then I'm happy. More power to him.

For those worried about those games that Koch comes into where we have a one run lead, its seems that so far he performs far better in those situations than the ones where the Sox have a huge lead. So far, his worst performance came when the Sox had a 4 run lead!

However he does it, I don't care as long as we walk away with the win.

soxnut
05-05-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
He's 5 for 6 in save chances, deal with him he's the White Sox closer.

He's not good, He's lucky. And I won't deal with him. I won't watch when he's in. He ruins the game for me. They won tonight and I'm not happy. And I'm probably one of the most positive White Sox fans(an oxymoron) out there.

Hondo
05-05-2004, 10:45 PM
This was a three cigarette bottom of the ninth tonight.

I'm going out and buying some nicorette gum

stillz
05-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Logic and any baseball sense tell us three things...

1) He's nervous on the mound and therefore wild.

2) His fastball has little movement and average velocity.

3) He's in the role because of past success and a huge salary.

That said, he's gonna get to play this tightrope act until he blows a couple. I hate it, but that seems to be where we are.

17-10 = Sweet

Nard
05-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Lucky? He puts himself in absolutely terrible circumstances and 5 out of the six times he's lucky?

I'm sorry. He DOES make my blood vessels verge on popping and spraying the red stuff all over the place, but he's the closer, and while I'm not gonna stretch and say he's "good," he can, err... close?

KruseControl04
05-05-2004, 10:53 PM
I can hardly stand watching Koch pitch. It is the scariest thing in the world. True, he's converted 5 of 6 save opportunities, but almost every time, he's come so close to blowing it. What is it going to take to get him to get a 1-2-3 inning? Why does he have to wait until he gets in a huge jam to get the job done?

On the post game show Dave Wills suggested the idea of putting cardboard cutouts of baseball players on the bases to make Koch think he's got runners on base so he goes right after the first hitter. I'm thinking that might be a good idea.

Nard
05-05-2004, 10:55 PM
He comes close to blowing it. He doesn't blow it.

A save is a save.

And congrats to Shingo on his second major league win, by the way.

A brilliant job stepping up into a bases loaded situation, getting way behind in the count, but getting a quick out.

stillz
05-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Congrats Mr. Zero!

soxnut
05-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Nard
He comes close to blowing it. He doesn't blow it.

A save is a save.

He's setting us up for a huge fall. He sucks.

soxnut
05-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Hey let Ozzie put him out there. In a way I'm glad he does, this way, sooner or later Koch can hang himself. I't getting old and I'm tired of the act already.

Nellie Comiskey
05-05-2004, 11:18 PM
pretty ballzy move by Ozzie to keep him in with the bases loaded and no outs. a good move that hopefully pays off in the future. being off the "juice" has resulted in loosing speed off his pitches and has devasted his confidence. he does not have the edge to close every game. yes his save total is decent and i hope he erases all our doubts as the season progresses. he reminds me of thigpen in 1991. being a closer is mental and on the mound koch has that "empty-look" like he is afraid to make a mistake.
:nellie

CubKilla
05-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Hey let Ozzie put him out there. In a way I'm glad he does, this way, sooner or later Koch can hang himself. I't getting old and I'm tired of the act already.

I was just happy to see Ozzie, after this joke of an outing by Botch, shake his head from left to right and staring out to LF, after the Sox got lucky and won again with a scowl on his face. While Baines and Walker were smiling and high-fiving, Ozzie, somewhat reluctantly, gave Baines a "fist" and was the last out of the dugout to congratulate the team on another 1-run win.

I believe Ozzie has had about enough of Botch and his garbage ball.

Nard
05-05-2004, 11:28 PM
That's true.

After Koch won the game today, Ozzie had the same expression he had on his face at two pretty crucial events:
1.) Silently grabbing the ball from Wright.
2.) Leaving the dugout after the game Dransfeldt made all those errors.

He wouldn't... would he?

jeremyb1
05-06-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by stillz
That said, he's gonna get to play this tightrope act until he blows a couple. I hate it, but that seems to be where we are.

That's the huge question, is this organization dumb enough to leave Koch as the closer with an ERA over 5? I'm betting on yes.

jeremyb1
05-06-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Nard
Lucky? He puts himself in absolutely terrible circumstances and 5 out of the six times he's lucky?

I'm sorry. He DOES make my blood vessels verge on popping and spraying the red stuff all over the place, but he's the closer, and while I'm not gonna stretch and say he's "good," he can, err... close?

Here's a question, why do you think he's giving up the runs if he can get guys out when the game is on the line?

beckett21
05-06-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Uncle_Patrick
I could be wrong, I never followed Koch before he came to Chicago, but wasn't more or less known for pitching these types of games even when he was considered hot? I recall hearing that he was a closer who "would keep you on the edge of your seat." He'd load the bases but get get out of the jam with the save. He wasn't ever a "1-2-3 9th inning" guy. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of all this, but if he's getting the job done, then I'm happy. More power to him.

For those worried about those games that Koch comes into where we have a one run lead, its seems that so far he performs far better in those situations than the ones where the Sox have a huge lead. So far, his worst performance came when the Sox had a 4 run lead!

However he does it, I don't care as long as we walk away with the win.

That little act was all well and good when he was throwing 103 mph.

Now, however he has to rely on his *pitching smarts*. Or actually pitching. And in that category Mr. Koch is not exactly at the top of the class.

I love the team, I love the energy, I love everything. But the guy is a ticking time bomb.

And BTW that reputation is the EXACT reason he never should have come to town in the first place.

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 12:47 AM
He's setting us up for a huge fall. He sucks.

Don't worry about it. Isn't he 5/6 so far? He's gonna eventually blow a couple here but every closer is gonna do that, and then we'll get a good closer in a trade. :smile: