Couldn't have said it any better myself:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/040505

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-05-2004, 02:53 PM
:KW
"yeah, but grinding is a whole 'nother matter"

Blueprint1
05-05-2004, 02:54 PM
How about the wasted talent out there because a player is lazy. How about the player that wouldn't be that great but gives 100% all the time and becomes as good as the more talented player? This article sucks.

bigdommer
05-05-2004, 03:07 PM
I don't know what the point of that article was. If Manny Ramirez is so amazingly gifted that he doesn't have to hustle, then how come the Red Sox were so interested in dumping him this offseason? And why were the Rangers so afraid of trading for him? Nobody wanted his this offseason. Why do you think D'Angelo Jimenez keeps bouncing around, despite all of his talent? Or Raul Mondesi?

JRIG
05-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by bigdommer
I don't know what the point of that article was. If Manny Ramirez is so amazingly gifted that he doesn't have to hustle, then how come the Red Sox were so interested in dumping him this offseason? And why were the Rangers so afraid of trading for him? Nobody wanted his this offseason. Why do you think D'Angelo Jimenez keeps bouncing around, despite all of his talent? Or Raul Mondesi?

Because of his gigantic $20 million dollar salary that will last until 2010 or something like that. And no one wanted him because of the same reason.

If you're building a team and say you don't want Manny Ramirez because he doesn't hustle enough for you, you will never win.

Jimenez keeps bouncing around because teams emphasize the negatives about him ("lack of hustle") rather than the positive (gets on-base with some pop). Mondesi is at a point in his career where tons of guys bounce around. He's too expensive to keep when a guy making league minimum can pretty much duplicate his numbers. That's why franchises that don't know what to do with their money, like Pittsburgh, end up with him. And when he doesn't produce like a superstar (which he's not) he get saddled with the "bad attitude" albatross.

But if you want a team of Kelly Dransfeldts and Aaron Rowands, fine by me.

poorme
05-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Wouldn't it be better to have guys that have talent AND hustle?

There's no excuse for not busting ass on every play. Totally unacceptable.

Konerko05
05-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Wait I'm confused here, people are actually arguing that they would rather have guys with no talent that hustle than guys with talent? Why can't this talented player just hustle anyways? What is so hard about running hard for 90 feet? Millions of dollars, and thousands of fans looking up to you isn't enough to hustle down the line?

I'd take the talented player anyday, but I don't see why there is an argument of one or the other.

Blueprint1
05-05-2004, 07:53 PM
I don't think that anyone wants an untalented player. But a really really good player can become a great player with some effort. A player with great talent can become an okay player by being lazy. I see it every day in my line of work talented people not using their talent and it goes to waste.

Randar68
05-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
I don't think that anyone wants an untalented player. But a really really good player can become a great player with some effort. A player with great talent can become an okay player by being lazy. I see it every day in my line of work talented people not using their talent and it goes to waste.

Where's D'Angelo Jimenez when you need to make a point???

Iwritecode
05-05-2004, 11:48 PM
I've said it before and I know PHG has commented on it. If all it takes is hustle to get to the bigs, then we could field a team just from the posters on this message board.

I know I would personally run my butt off after every single ball hit in my direction and make every effort to throw the ball into the infield on the fly.

I would run as fast as my 200+ lbs. will let me after every weak dribbler I manage to send into the infield.

Where do I sign?

cburns
05-06-2004, 01:53 AM
Of course everyone that isn't a pro athlete would say the same things..I'd hustle every play..but they work their asses off so much more than we give them credit for, they have dedicated their whole lives to this profession....i can cut them some slack

Jjav829
05-06-2004, 07:31 AM
That's a bad article. It completely confuses the issue of what fans want. He turns it into an article of what is more important, talent or hustle. Of course it's talent. No one is going to take someone who hustles over someone with extreme talent. All the fans are asking is that the talented players hustle as well. He glossed over his best point - that just because players don't look like they are hustling, that doesn't means they didn't work their ass off to get to where they are.

No one in their right mind is going to take Aaron Rowand over Carlos Beltran or David Eckstein over Nomar Garciaparra. There's no need to write about which is more important - it's quite obvious. The complaint about hustle is that fans would like to see talented players like Manny Ramirez, Garrett Anderson, etc. show more hustle.