PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen Acquisitions?

SEALgep
05-05-2004, 12:20 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=38112211

kittle42
05-05-2004, 12:22 PM
I will say again that I want nothing to do with Joe Table.

JRIG
05-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=38112211

Mesa? Biddle? Graves? Looper?

We'd do better just to release Koch than to actually add any of those guys to the bullpen. Possible excepton for Looper.

hold2dibber
05-05-2004, 12:25 PM
IMHO, they need another starter more than they need a reliever.

SoxxoS
05-05-2004, 12:27 PM
I like Graves, but 6 million is Koch money.

How about Graves for Koch and a mid-level prospect? They are going to be out of the race, anyway...might as well get something for Graves.

SEALgep
05-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I like Graves, but 6 million is Koch money.

How about Graves for Koch and a mid-level prospect? They are going to be out of the race, anyway...might as well get something for Graves. Graves has areas of concern as well. I saw him pitch against the Cubs, and it wasn't terribly impressive.

poorme
05-05-2004, 12:31 PM
I think Graves has given up 5 bombs in 12 innings!

SEALgep
05-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
IMHO, they need another starter more than they need a reliever. I agree. I very much like the idea of Diaz becoming the fifth starter, but if Garcia does become available to us for a reasonable price, then I would be all for it. That in a sense would help our pen out, because this guy is a work horse. However, if it were to happen soon, I would just assume postpone the trade until he shuts down the Twins tomorrow. :D:

Tekijawa
05-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Graves has areas of concern as well. I saw him pitch against the Cubs, and it wasn't terribly impressive.

I actually just traded Graves for Jason Schmidt in My fantasy baseball league to some poor soul(he had stud pitching but no closers)... any chanse that we might be able to do that if we trade for him?

wdelaney72
05-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Given the fact that our starting pitcher who's consistently pitched well is Schoeneweis (I can't believe I'm saying that), I think we need a starter more than a closer - especially if we make the playoffs.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2004, 12:44 PM
The White Sox will never release Billy Koch. That's a pipedream.

And I disagree with the comment in the story the Sox have no one to fear in the division. Tell that to the twins who were expected to fall apart and haven't come close to doing that.

If the Sox look past them (like the writer) they are fools.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
IMHO, they need another starter more than they need a reliever.

I could not have said it better myself. Preferably a legitimate ace to push the rest of the rotation back one spot.

CHISOXFAN13
05-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

And I disagree with the comment in the story the Sox have no one to fear in the division. Tell that to the twins who were expected to fall apart and haven't come close to doing that.

If the Sox look past them (like the writer) they are fools.

Lip

Ummm, who said they expected the Twins to fall apart? We were the team that was pretty unanimously picked third by all media outlets.

This division is there for the taking, and we are the odds-on favorite. Sorry, but Minnesota's starting pitching is piss poor.

batmanZoSo
05-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
I will say again that I want nothing to do with Joe Table.

We already tried Joe Bread-n-water and it didn't really work out. Mesa is hot right now, he's not a particularly good closer. He cost the Indians a World Series and was never really great.

jeremyb1
05-05-2004, 04:25 PM
I can't name a better example of the media's disgusting infatuation with the save statisitic than that article. What if we got a good reliever and had him or Marte close instead of worrying about getting a "closer".

MRKARNO
05-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Braden Looper has been lights out this year. He does have a blown save but the run was unearned, otherwise he does not have an earned run this year (ERA 0.00) in in 12.1 IP 8K/1BB. .89 WHIP .217 BAA. He's been very good the preceding 3 years as well. He would be a good addition

hose
05-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Looper would be a nice addition.

soxruleEP
05-05-2004, 05:11 PM
The assinine obsession with "who is the closer?" or "who will bat fourth?" is only an indication of how sportswriters don't really want to write about sports. They want to manufacture controversy.

There is no need to have a player who is THE CLOSER. Baseball functioned quite well for a long time without this designated ninth inning pitcher.

The idea that someone should be the guy you go to when you have a lead in the ninth just because you have a lead is ridiculous.

When KW finally gave Rick White his walking papers, White badmouthed the team, saying "I didn't know what my role was." His role was to get opposing batters out. This doesn't change whether you are pitching the ninth or the sixth.

FoulTerritory
05-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I can't name a better example of the media's disgusting infatuation with the save statisitic than that article. What if we got a good reliever and had him or Marte close instead of worrying about getting a "closer".

exactly

A. Cavatica
05-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Because he's done so much for the organization, and is a fan favorite.