PDA

View Full Version : "Spiderman 2" ads on bases

Fisk72
05-05-2004, 12:16 PM
I just heard about this story. Linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_press_release.jsp?ymd=20040505&content_id=736235&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp) Makes me want to puke.

MRKARNO
05-05-2004, 12:23 PM
So basically all of the ads are going to contain spiderman related stuff and some idiot in a suit will come as well. How exciting! Good job Bud Selig

Jerko
05-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Hey, if I get to sit next to Mary Jane Watson that weekend, I'm all for it.

MRKARNO
05-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
So basically all of the ads are going to contain spiderman related stuff and some idiot in a suit will come as well. How exciting! Good job Bud Selig

After reading it over again this is absolutely, positively ludicrous. ADS ON THE BASES ??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME BUD?

Jerko
05-05-2004, 12:45 PM
After reading it over again this is absolutely, positively ludicrous. ADS ON THE BASES ??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME BUD?

I can see MAYBE if they incorporated Spidey into a kids day event or something it would not be too bad. Ads on the bases though, I don't know about that. Sooner or later we're gonna look like an NFL Europe team or an international hockey team out there with all the ads they wear on the jerseys and paint into the ice.

wdelaney72
05-05-2004, 12:45 PM
What a joke.

rmusacch
05-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I just heard about this story. Linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_press_release.jsp?ymd=20040505&content_id=736235&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp) Makes me want to puke.

Where did you see anything about ads on the bases?

JohnBasedowYoda
05-05-2004, 01:18 PM
This ad money better get us the green seats for sure. Also, does a huge movie like that even need such advertisement? I hate being bombarded by ads, anyone ever see Minority Report? That day is eeking closer

kittle42
05-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

I see nothing, either.

I hope Spider-Man throws out the first pitch.

ma_deuce
05-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Why not just make the players wear Spiderman costumes instead of thier regular uniforms. The home team will wear the traditional red and blue costume while the visiting team wears the '80s/Venom black and white costume. That and have Farmer ponificate for an hour or two about how the spiderman outfits help the outfielders catch "fly" balls better.

Deuce

nasox
05-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72

I also don't see anything about ads on bases. HOWEVER, they suck and this makes me wanna kill Selig even more. ####### POS

Fisk72
05-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by nasox
I also don't see anything about ads on bases. HOWEVER, they suck and this makes me wanna kill Selig even more. ####### POS

Sorry about that - I heard it on the radio and assumed it was in the article as well. This ESPN article spells it out more. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1795742) I'm with you guys as far as not wanting to look like an NFL Europe team, NASCAR, etc.

batmanZoSo
05-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Hey, if I get to sit next to Mary Jane Watson that weekend, I'm all for it.

I also want to make sweet love to Kirsten Dunst.

inta
05-05-2004, 01:38 PM
holy crap, they wanted to put up a web netting behind home plate and they're making spiderman logo on deck circles?

***!

if this trend continues i'm done with baseball.
i say boycott this game and any other of this advertising gimmick bullcrap.

soxruleEP
05-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Let's relax a little. My six-year-old nephew already can't wait to go to the June 13 game he is such a spider-man fan.

It's one day and it's some more income for the club.

I like a more traditional attitude but those days are gone forever.

StillMissOzzie
05-05-2004, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by kittle42

I see nothing, either.

Originally posted by nasox

There's nothing in the linky provided, but the home page of ESPN.com says Spiderman 2 ads not only on the bases, but the pitcher's slab too!!!

Selig, you're a whore.

SMO
:(:

inta
05-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
Let's relax a little. My six-year-old nephew already can't wait to go to the June 13 game he is such a spider-man fan.

i'm so glad your six yer old nephew will grow up completely accustomed to corporate gimmicks invading baseball.
advertising is one thing. billboards have been around for ages.
but plastering logos on bases and on deck circles?
what next? spraypainting the basepaths with logos?

yeah it's one day, but if they'll do this for spiderman... who says they wont do it for anything else? this is just the floodgates opening i'm afraid.

anewman35
05-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Another problem with this is that it's technically against the rules:

First, second and third bases shall be marked by white canvas bags, securely attached to the ground as indicated in Diagram 2.

Does this mean if we lose, we can protest because the game wasn't played by the rules?

JohnBasedowYoda
05-05-2004, 01:57 PM
maybe when x-men 3 comes out they'll dress the ump like wolverine

White_Sock
05-05-2004, 01:59 PM
3.6 million dollars will turn 15 MLB baseball surfaces into movie advertisements? Man, Bud Selig is a cheap date.

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Does this mean if we lose, we can protest because the game wasn't played by the rules?

If I were a manager, I wouldn't put that in teal.

anewman35
05-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Apparently MLB is breaking the "bases must be white" rule on Mother's Day, too, with a "pink Mother's Day logo" on bases. Might be nice if they could follow their own rules, eh?

ewokpelts
05-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by inta
i'm so glad your six yer old nephew will grow up completely accustomed to corporate gimmicks invading baseball.
advertising is one thing. billboards have been around for ages.
but plastering logos on bases and on deck circles?
what next? spraypainting the basepaths with logos?

yeah it's one day, but if they'll do this for spiderman... who says they wont do it for anything else? this is just the floodgates opening i'm afraid.

they sell naming rights...what else did you expect?
Gene

Chisox353014
05-05-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm glad baseball is doing this. I mean, how else would the public have been informed about Spiderman 2? I don't even remember hearing anything about the first one.

bennyw41
05-05-2004, 02:30 PM
I read that the bags will only be spiderized in pre-game activity. As soon as the game starts, the logos go too.

anewman35
05-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
I read that the bags will only be spiderized in pre-game activity. As soon as the game starts, the logos go too.

Everything I've seen says that homeplate and the pitching rubber will be replaced with normal things for the game, but the bases won't.

kittle42
05-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by soxruleEP

Agreed. The slippery slope will come anyway, eventually. It's not gonna make me stop watching sports.

bennyw41
05-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Everything I've seen says that homeplate and the pitching rubber will be replaced with normal things for the game, but the bases won't.

DuPuy said Columbia Pictures originally wanted to put "Spider-Man 2" webbing on the netting behind home plate, but the request was turned down for fear it would distract players. Pitching rubbers and home plate will be adorned with "Spider-Man 2" branding before games, but will be replaced with standard white plates once the games start.

3rdgensoxfan
05-05-2004, 02:34 PM
It's just wrong. It violates rules, long standing tradition. :(:

anewman35
05-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
Pitching rubbers and home plate will be adorned with "Spider-Man 2" branding before games, but will be replaced with standard white plates once the games start.

Right. The same article says:

"This does nothing to impact the play of the game," DuPuy said. "The base doesn't know that it has a corporate name on it, nor does the foot that hits the base."

and

If Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter turns a double play against the San Diego Padres in their mid-June matchup, he'll likely have to step on Spider-Man's web to do it.

The bases will have logos on them during the game, the plate and rubber won't.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-05-2004, 02:48 PM
selig is such a whore. its one thing to have a spiderman weekend with trailers and giveways and what not, but logos on the bases, come on. selig can't leave soon enough.

kittle42
05-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
selig is such a whore. its one thing to have a spiderman weekend with trailers and giveways and what not, but logos on the bases, come on. selig can't leave soon enough.

Much like naming rights and ads along the boards in the NHL, this is the future of all sports. It was just a question of sooner or later, and it's sooner.

doublem23
05-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Apparently MLB is breaking the "bases must be white" rule on Mother's Day, too, with a "pink Mother's Day logo" on bases. Might be nice if they could follow their own rules, eh?

That's for the Fight Breast Cancer thing MLB is teaming up with. That's all right, because it's a good cause. Spiderman 2? Come on.

bennyw41
05-05-2004, 03:51 PM
I hate to be in the minority here, but really, who gives a flying f what they do to generate money. Its not going to affect the game AT ALL. I think its time to stop romanticising baseball to the point where people care about a stupid logo on the base. It just doesn't effect the standings, the team morale, the farm system, the manager, the players, the fans, i mean, who is it hurting? I know that it is a shameless coroporate tie-in, but so is any stupid give-away at any park. If baseball were more shrewd about their marketing, this wouldn't be an outrage.

MRKARNO
05-05-2004, 03:52 PM
This is just unspeakable. If they want to remove it all before the start of the game I guess it's at least acceptable, but this is absolutely unacceptable. If the makers of the movie were smart they'd withdraw the bid to do all of the advertising with all of the free press they've already gotten from this. MLB will probably be pressured into "scaling" it back a bit.

Brian26
05-05-2004, 03:54 PM

Thank you. I've read the story 3 times looking for that, and I don't see anything. All they mention is "on-field" advertising. That could be something as small as a sign on the outfield wall or a Spiderman logo painted on the grass next to the on-deck circle. Not a big deal in my book.

anewman35
05-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Thank you. I've read the story 3 times looking for that, and I don't see anything. All they mention is "on-field" advertising. That could be something as small as a sign on the outfield wall or a Spiderman logo painted on the grass next to the on-deck circle. Not a big deal in my book.

If you read the other stories, though, it's very clear there will be ads on the bases (the ESPN story even shows a picture of one).

Brian26
05-05-2004, 03:57 PM
If you read the other stories, though, it's very clear there will be ads on the bases (the ESPN story even shows a picture of one).

You're correct...I just caught up with the other posts. Should have read all three pages on this thread before I responded.

bennyw41
05-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Picture of the base.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1778&e=1&u=/040505/483/ny16605052033

steff
05-05-2004, 04:35 PM

Wow.. a shot at bringing awareness to breast cancer.. sigh....

kittle42
05-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by steff
Wow.. a shot at bringing awareness to breast cancer.. sigh....

I hate "awareness," though I am in favor of "attention."

scottyl
05-05-2004, 07:52 PM
From the AP story:

``We need to reach out to a younger demographic to bring them to the ballpark,'' Parkes said. ``They are looking for nontraditional breakthrough ways to convey 'Spider-Man' messaging. ... It's the future of how we generate excitement inside the stadium and about the game itself.''

Yeah, kids will be BEGGING their parents to bring them to the ballpark for Spidey-ads-on-bases-day.

RedPinStripes
05-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Bud Selig has gone beyond pathetic.

:chunks

WhiteSox = Life
05-05-2004, 08:58 PM
:whocares

If it really bugs you that much, stop watching Major League Baseball and go to your local park instead.

MRKARNO
05-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
:whocares

If it really bugs you that much, stop watching Major League Baseball and go to your local park instead.

Are you freaking kidding me? Who Cares? This is a White Sox board, an MLB Team. Of course it matters.

WhiteSox = Life
05-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Are you freaking kidding me? Who Cares? This is a White Sox board, an MLB Team. Of course it matters.

With the way Selig has "run" MLB, is this really that much of a surprise? The inevitable has arrived, and rest assured, there's more on the way.

The Sox and whoever they are playing during the time of the Spider-Man bases is not going to change the complexion of the game, and is not going to affect the "product" on the field.

And, if it still really kills you so much that there's advertising on the field now in this capacity, get a baseball fix elsewhere.

MRKARNO
05-05-2004, 09:12 PM
There's gonna be considerable fan anger at this and I am among them. I think you underestimate how many people are upset at this. I am nowhere near alone on this.

WhiteSox = Life
05-05-2004, 09:16 PM
There's gonna be considerable fan anger at this and I am among them. I think you underestimate how many people are upset at this. I am nowhere near alone on this.

Yeah, probably. It's not going to go away, so why bother to dwell on it? Just another chapter to add in the book of wonderful events in MLB since Selig has been commissioner.

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Disgusting. And the thing that makes it even worse, the Fake Sox and Yankmees are getting $100k while the rest of the teams get $50k.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-05-2004, 10:44 PM
i always thought reinsdorf was capable of this, but selig? no way!

huskie26
05-05-2004, 10:53 PM
I guess i am one of the few in favor of this. The Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,119117,00.html) story says the Red Sox and the Yankees are both going to make $100,000 on the deal. We have the home game and the promotion why not try to get as much of the money as possible. Who cares is there is an ad on top of a base that no one can see or read? So what if the on deck circles have advertising on them? I went to the double header on Saturday and honestly wouldn't of noticed wither of these things. People are going to criticize the Yankees and Red Sox for making money on this but we have the same opportunity to make some dough. MLB cuts a deal with Hollywood that means extra money for the Sox and we see it as a bad thing? WTH

On a side note, what if we started showing movies on the jumbotron after Sunday home games. First run movies would be cool but it would never happen. We could have the "Chicago Movie Series at the Cell." Show some good flicks from Chicago that have been out for a while, like The Blues Brothers, Ferris Bueller, Wayne's World, or Backdraft. They could leave some of the concessions open and make extra cash and more people would buy tickets to games thus building a larger fan base.

Jeremy
05-05-2004, 11:44 PM
my god, leave it to the 21st century, where nothing is sacred and soon there will be advertisements in church.

beckett21
05-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Someone has to pay the salaries which have gotten out of control. Got to feed the beast.

Personally I am not in favor of this, but such is the world we live in. Nowhere to hide from it.

Just wait until the uniforms look like NASCAR outfits. How about the *RICOH* emblem on the helmets in Japan?? Ever seen a soccer match or foreign basketball game? It's all advertising.

Be prepared. This is merely the tip of the iceberg. People will grumble for awhile, and eventually the almighty dollar will claim another victim. It's inevitable.

batmanZoSo
05-06-2004, 12:35 AM
I'd like to know how MLB gets crap like this done so effortlessly, but they're not close to instilling a worldwide draft so that small market teams can claim the Ichiros and Matsuis of the world. How much money is there to be made from this stupid bases thing? And who's gonna see it? It's just gonna look like a red blob on the bags, and the only way you'll recognize it is if you already know what's going on. I agree with Beckett, the uniforms aren't far off. I promise you that will happen.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Baseball continues its cycle of dumbling itself down under the inspired leadership of Proud To Be Your Bud Selig.

I can't wait until 2006 when this moron goes out to pasture for good.

Lip

hsnterprize
05-06-2004, 05:59 AM
Apparently MLB is breaking the "bases must be white" rule on Mother's Day, too, with a "pink Mother's Day logo" on bases. Might be nice if they could follow their own rules, eh? Well...the Cubs are doing something somewhat similar to their bases. This weekend, the bases will adorn pink ribbons to promote breast cancer. And on Father's Day weekend, blue ribbons will go on the bases from prostate cancer awareness. The rationale here is that those promotions are "non-commercial" unlike the Spiderman ads on the bases. And yes...in case you're still unsure, the ads WILL appear on the bases themselves as well as the on-deck circles. MLB will make about $3.6 million in this deal.

Railsplitter
05-06-2004, 08:45 AM
GROW UP!

Barry Rozner hits it right on the head in today's Daily Hearld:

"Where ya been for the past 10 years, when loaded bats, loaded balls and loaded players were reciveing standing ovations and drugged out freaks were ruining the game?"

If it weren't for the press release, nobody would even know about this. My brother's birthday is June 11, the weekend this will happen, and my family's planning to go, and I'll bet the ads will be illegible where we'll be sitting.

Every picture or film clip I've seen of Ebbets Field has the rogth field wall covered with billboards. A Brooklyn tailor even had a sign along the base of the wall offering a free suit to anybody who could hit it with a batted ball.

As for "the bases must be white" I've seen All-Star games where there were stars painted on the bases.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2004, 10:57 AM
ESPN.com has a story quoting Yankee officials as saying they will have a Spiderman logo on the bases ONLY in batting practice and ONLY before one game. They refuse to let the bases have the logo once the game starts and refuse to have the logo on the pitching rubber.

The Yankees say they have the right to refuse to do anything that in essence belittles baseball, the Yankees or Yankee Stadium.

Maybe these guys aren't all that bad?

Lip

KruseControl04
05-06-2004, 12:25 PM
I can understand adds around the park, logos on beer cups, maybe on the outfield wall, and commercials played on the scoreboard between innings, but actually placing adds between the white lines? That's crossing the line. It's totally rediculous. Doesn't the MLB have any respect for the game?

What I would like to know is how some of the players feel about this? Does anyone know of any articles with quotes from players?

As long as we're on advertising... I also hate those digitally imposed adds on the backstop. They're annoying, and they distract me. So.... DIE

Dadawg_77
05-06-2004, 01:08 PM
What the bases look like.

ewokpelts
05-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
What the bases look like.

What I dont like is how the local media is making it look like the cubs are bucking the ad trend by not having these bases(even though they will be playin gthe angels, who will have the bases, that weekend). The Sox are made to look like greedy sobs. Even the morning crew on teh zone commented that the consensus is not at wrigley, ok at the cell. While Brian the Whipping boy was quick to point out that the Sox are just one team participating, callers said this pretty much" they already sold out the name, what's wrong with the bases?" Whip responded by saying that the Cubs can resist such advertising (thus marketing themselves as a "shrine") due to thier large crowds. Go figure.
Gene