PDA

View Full Version : Rooney & Farmer Rip Orioles for Blatant Rip-Off of "OO EE OO" chant

Hangar18
05-05-2004, 10:45 AM
They were calling the game when the Orioles were batting, and you could hear the OOOEEEOOO really loud, and for a split second, I started thinking the SOX were home and why Didnt I go to the game tonite. BOth announcers went quiet and Rooney Sarcastically said " Is Magglio batting" and Farmer
Sarcastically answered "No......hes in LF". "thought we were home for a minute there"

Fridaythe13thJason
05-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
They were calling the game when the Orioles were batting, and you could hear the OOOEEEOOO really loud, and for a split second, I started thinking the SOX were home and why Didnt I go to the game tonite. BOth announcers went quiet and Rooney Sarcastically said " Is Magglio batting" and Farmer
Sarcastically answered "No......hes in LF". "thought we were home for a minute there"

Why was he in Left Field?

Hokiesox
05-05-2004, 10:58 AM
He wasn't, he was standing in front of me all night in Right Field.

IlliniSox
05-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Reminds me of when the Seattle Supersonics used the exact same "Eye in the Sky" introductions for their players in the Finals against the Bulls. The whole friggin' sports world knows you're copycats. Someone needs a new Marketing Director.

IlliniSox
05-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
Reminds me of when the Seattle Supersonics used the exact same "Eye in the Sky" introductions for their players in the Finals against the Bulls. The whole friggin' sports world knows you're copycats. Someone needs a new Marketing Director.

Excuse me. [color=teal]Someone needs a new Marketing Director.

onesox
05-05-2004, 11:16 AM
I love the fact the Orioles use the chant. Shows how good of a chant it is.

Mammoo
05-05-2004, 11:36 AM
http://prodtn.cafepress.com/5/3361335_F_tn.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by onesox
I love the fact the Orioles use the chant. Shows how good of a chant it is.

Yes, but for whom were the Orioles fans cheering? Or was it a sarcastic effort to mock Maggs?

IlliniSox
05-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Yes, but for whom were the Orioles fans cheering? Or was it a sarcastic effort to mock Maggs?

No, they cheer O-EEE-O, OR-E-Oles. Weak.

Hokiesox
05-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Orioles fans don't cheer! They're either talking on their cell phones or not paying attention. It's the wrigley field of the east coast!

santo=dorf
05-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Orioles fans don't cheer! They're either talking on their cell phones or not paying attention. It's the wrigley field of the east coast!

So then why is the ball park so empty?

thepaulbowski
05-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Why are we worried about what chants the Orioles do during their games?

Hokiesox
05-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
So then why is the ball park so empty?

I stand corrected. It's the east coast wrigley, minus the capacity fraternity crowd. You know...the Johns Hopkins students don't have the time away from studying to go to Camden.

cheeses_h_rice
05-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Isn't the original chant theme from "The Wizard of Oz," anyway? Hard to claim they're ripping off the White Sox when the Sox stole it from someone else to begin with, right?

wdelaney72
05-05-2004, 12:40 PM
I actually think it's kind of a stupid chant. Let the Orioles have it.

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Isn't the original chant theme from "The Wizard of Oz," anyway? Hard to claim they're ripping off the White Sox when the Sox stole it from someone else to begin with, right?

It also is found, in a very dark minor key, in a Metallica song on the And Justice For All album.

nasox
05-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72

I totally disagree. The chant is great, and really gets the crowd riled up. And Maggs responds to it a lot of times when it is extra loud. I like to judge attendance when I listen on the radio by listening to this chant. The Orioles don't deserve it.

batmanZoSo
05-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Nuh uh. They copied us. We were the first to put in into a baseball context.

poorme
05-05-2004, 01:55 PM
I believe we first came up with the chant in the 1930s for Lu Blue...Oo ee oo...looo blooo.

davenicholson
05-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Well, that makes a total of two of us on this board. I find it embarassing, together with that "Jose, Jose" chant.

poorme
05-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by davenicholson
Well, that makes a total of two of us on this board. I find it embarassing, together with that "Jose, Jose" chant.

Make it three.

Rocky Soprano
05-05-2004, 02:41 PM

I love the chants. Its pretty cool.

Nothing personal but I think your quote in your sig is pretty stupid. :smile:

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
I love the chants. Its pretty cool.

Nothing personal but I think your quote in your sig is pretty stupid. :smile:

the sig is from the movie "the ladies man" with tim meadows. comiskey is in the movie.

steff
05-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Nuh uh. They copied us. We were the first to put in into a baseball context.

Not quite. They've been doing it since the early '90's. That's when I first heard it anyway.

thepaulbowski
05-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by steff
Not quite. They've been doing it since the early '90's. That's when I first heard it anyway.

If they've been doing it since the early 90's it had to of started after they moved into Camden Yards. I asked my wife about this (she's from Baltiomore and went to a lot of games at old Memorial Stadium) and she'd never heard it before.

MarqSox
05-05-2004, 06:31 PM
I'm watching the Orioles feed on MLB.TV ... they have a commercial showing an O's player hitting a homerun, and they have the air raid siren going off in the background! ***?? Are they trying to be us or what? :angry:

Railsplitter
05-05-2004, 08:32 PM
I never had a problem with "OO-EE-OO Magglio" but "Jose, Jose, Jose," is a rip-off of a soccer chant.

DSpivack
05-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
I never had a problem with "OO-EE-OO Magglio" but "Jose, Jose, Jose," is a rip-off of a soccer chant.

ditto.

steff
05-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
If they've been doing it since the early 90's it had to of started after they moved into Camden Yards. I asked my wife about this (she's from Baltiomore and went to a lot of games at old Memorial Stadium) and she'd never heard it before.

They've been doing it as long as I've been going there on a regular basis which is since 1993.

mike squires
05-05-2004, 09:48 PM

Not when the park is at its' capacity and the sox are in the payoffs I think it sounds beautiful. NOt as good as when a pitcher is leaving the field and you hear that HEY HEY HEY...

TornLabrum
05-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Not when the park is at its' capacity and the sox are in the payoffs I think it sounds beautiful. NOt as good as when a pitcher is leaving the field and you hear that HEY HEY HEY...

What "HEY HEY HEY"? Is Fat Albert coming to the playoffs?

doublem23
05-06-2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox

Ahem... That would be Fenway.

Hangar18
05-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Wait.....The Orioles are Copying the White SOX with the AirRaid Siren & the OOO eeee OOOOO chant. I just asked a couple
of guys from our Baltimore office (big oriole fans) If theyve been using that chant before........ They Claim they just this year
started Hearing it the 1st Time also. FOr the record, this guy also said the 1st time he heard it Opening Day, he thought they were Ripping the WHITE SOX off .........

DC Sox Fan
05-06-2004, 12:01 PM
I've been going to O's games for a long time. Usually a couple every year. Also, most of my friends here are O's friends. They and I agree that it's new this year.

First time I ever remember hearing it at a sports event was the Pats in '96 when they were playing the Skins.

steff
05-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Last year was the first year I was not at OP@CY more than 2 dozen times and I've heard it many times.

But I have to ask.. what does it matter? Just something else to bitch and whine about.. :whiner: :whiner:

And what air raid siren do the Sox have...?

jackbrohamer
05-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by steff
Last year was the first year I was not at OP@CY more than 2 dozen times and I've heard it many times.

ESPN classic today had on a 1997 playoff game at Camden Yards (Balt. v. Cleveland) and I could hear that chant at least a dozen times in the background.

SoxEd
05-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter

What's wrong with that?

Soccer has a large repertoire of chants, including some excellent ones (and they're all easy to sing, so the average beered-up hooli can remember them).

Not many fans in the States are going to recognise them either!

I've always liked 'You're not singing any more', but it is admittedly a rather obvious hostage-to-fortune.

It even works in French - 'Vous ne chantez jamais plus'. Fantastic.

Theoretically, England fans could get to sing that to the French this summer in Portugal in our opening Group game for Euro 2004.

Of course, I could theoretically have the only winning ticket in the National Lottery tomorrow night - unfortunately, I think both events have about equal probablities of occurring :(: :(:

Question - do fans of opposing teams ever sing team songs at each other during ballgames? Or is the crowd just too intermingled for this to work?

I think it is so prevalent in soccer because of the anti-riot crowd segregation - you get 'massed choirs' for each team.

It can create a really good competitive atmosphere at a soccer game, but it can also get everyone's blood up :(:

steff
05-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
ESPN classic today had on a 1997 playoff game at Camden Yards (Balt. v. Cleveland) and I could hear that chant at least a dozen times in the background.

How on earth is that possiible...? They JUST stole it from the Sox... :D: