PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Hairston, Jr.


E Coast Sox Fan
05-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Given the way Brian Roberts is playing right now, I don't see how Jerry gets his job back. Roberts can steal at will. Every single or walk might as well be scored as double (or triple).

If KW is looking for an upgrade at 2B, I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore would deal Jerry, jr. Although Harris seems to be playing well right now, I think Jerry is a better player if he can remain healthy.

Soxzilla
05-05-2004, 10:13 AM
And he's a local guy. So I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming back to chicago.

Me and my brothers always loved watchin him when baltimore came into town, some days he would just kill us:).

iwannago
05-05-2004, 10:52 AM
I'm sure one thing would stop him from coming to Chicago, he makes alot more than Harris.

Fungo
05-05-2004, 10:57 AM
:KW

Brian Roberts is a 'grinder'.

Randar68
05-05-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan
Given the way Brian Roberts is playing right now, I don't see how Jerry gets his job back. Roberts can steal at will. Every single or walk might as well be scored as double (or triple).

If KW is looking for an upgrade at 2B, I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore would deal Jerry, jr. Although Harris seems to be playing well right now, I think Jerry is a better player if he can remain healthy.

Why is he looking for a new 2B??? Especially won that can't win the job in Baltimore? Harris and Uribe are both 2B if needed there, and for the balance of this season, they still have Jose at SS...

jabrch
05-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan
Given the way Brian Roberts is playing right now, I don't see how Jerry gets his job back. Roberts can steal at will. Every single or walk might as well be scored as double (or triple).

If KW is looking for an upgrade at 2B, I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore would deal Jerry, jr. Although Harris seems to be playing well right now, I think Jerry is a better player if he can remain healthy.

Hairston is no better than Harris. I know people have a hard time admitting this, but Harris is hitting .284 with a .341 obp. He deserves to be leading off every day.

TDog
05-05-2004, 11:58 AM
At one time, Harris was considered Baltimore's top minor league prospect. He seems well behind Roberts and Hairston, but he allegedly plays CF as well.

MRKARNO
05-05-2004, 12:03 PM
The grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

jabrch
05-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by TDog
At one time, Harris was considered Baltimore's top minor league prospect. He seems well behind Roberts and Hairston, but he allegedly plays CF as well.

TDog, behind Hairston and Roberts? Hairston hasn't ever done anything at the MLB level that would impress me. He has been about .270/.340 And as much as Roberts is hot right now, his best season in the past was .270/340 with 23 SBs.

I don't think Harris is far behind these guys, if behind them at all. Were it up to me, Willie would be in the lineup every day, after Valentin gets back. (move Harris to CF and sit Rowand, but get him in there on weekly off days for each of the other 3.)

Palehose13
05-05-2004, 12:44 PM
I don't think it is a bad idea, but I think CF and a SP needs to be addressed before 2B.

SoxxoS
05-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Harris is playing fine. There is no upgrade needed at 2B. Uribe can play there and Harris can spot start here and there.

Since Harris got off to such a horrible start to this major league career, he now has this "stigma" attached to him that he can't hit. If he would have started off 10 for 30 or something like that, we wouldn't be talking about this. It's all b/c he struggled when he started. Hariston isn't even that good. He's Harris's equal IMO.

Hondo
05-05-2004, 10:43 PM
Well ESPN thinks we have Jerry Hairston.
I was checking the salaries on their website and it lists Jerry Hairston on our payroll.
Must be a mistake

SoxOnTop
05-05-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I don't think it is a bad idea, but I think CF and a SP needs to be addressed before 2B.

I second that.

batmanZoSo
05-05-2004, 11:50 PM
News flash: Jerry Hairston sucks.

Go for Roberts.

A. Cavatica
05-06-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Hondo
Well ESPN thinks we have Jerry Hairston.
I was checking the salaries on their website and it lists Jerry Hairston on our payroll.

Maybe we re-signed his Dad.

TDog
05-06-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
TDog, behind Hairston and Roberts? Hairston hasn't ever done anything at the MLB level that would impress me. He has been about .270/.340 And as much as Roberts is hot right now, his best season in the past was .270/340 with 23 SBs.

I don't think Harris is far behind these guys, if behind them at all. Were it up to me, Willie would be in the lineup every day, after Valentin gets back. (move Harris to CF and sit Rowand, but get him in there on weekly off days for each of the other 3.)

You may be right. Maybe I'm judging these guys by how they play against us, which I know I shouldn't do. If we went after every rookie pitcher who looked like Cy Young against us in the last few years, we'd have a lot more pitching problems.