PDA

View Full Version : Lost Free Agents - Where are they now?

elrod
05-05-2004, 01:10 AM
There was much hand-wringing in these parts over the failure to sign any free agents from last year's team. Well, let's check out how they're all doing, with the caveat in mind that it's only May.

Robbie Alomar: batting .222
Carl Everett: batting .233
Tony Graffanino: batting .333
Bartolo Colon: 3-2 with a 4.38 ERA - compared to the man who replaced him in the rotation, Scott Schoeneweis, who is 3-1 with a 3.69 ERA
Tom Gordon: 0-1 with a 1.76 ERA and 6 holds
Scott Sullivan: 2-0 with a 5.23 ERA

Without considering cost of re-signing, we are better off without Alomar, Everett or Sullivan. Colon, up to now, has performed less than Schoeneweis - though who knows how long that will last. Graffanino was a painful loss, though Uribe has filled in in many ways. The biggest loss, it seems, is Gordon. If he were still here we might not be having these conversations about Koch. Gordon makes $3.5 million with the Yankees, which is about half of Koch's salary. Why did we let him go?

ShoelessFred
05-05-2004, 03:31 AM
Gordon makes $3.5 million with the Yankees, which is about half of Koch's salary. Why did we let him go?

we let him go cause we GOT koch making all that cash.

BigFrankFan
05-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
we let him go cause we GOT koch making all that cash.

We let him go because the Yanks offered Gordon a multi-year deal.
Just like they always do.

Hangar18
05-05-2004, 10:18 AM
But thats 3 Million Bucks Saved ................ Got to cut corners whenever possible!

mjmcend
05-05-2004, 10:41 AM
not to mention that alomar is done with for quite some time due to injury

Irishsox1
05-05-2004, 10:49 AM
I'm still waiting for Gordan's arm to fall off. I was really surprised that the Sox got a full year out of him given his history of arm problems. Everyone else is doing what they normally do, but Sullivan's era is really high.

hold2dibber
05-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by elrod
There was much hand-wringing in these parts over the failure to sign any free agents from last year's team. Well, let's check out how they're all doing, with the caveat in mind that it's only May.

Robbie Alomar: batting .222
Carl Everett: batting .233
Tony Graffanino: batting .333
Bartolo Colon: 3-2 with a 4.38 ERA - compared to the man who replaced him in the rotation, Scott Schoeneweis, who is 3-1 with a 3.69 ERA
Tom Gordon: 0-1 with a 1.76 ERA and 6 holds
Scott Sullivan: 2-0 with a 5.23 ERA

Without considering cost of re-signing, we are better off without Alomar, Everett or Sullivan. Colon, up to now, has performed less than Schoeneweis - though who knows how long that will last. Graffanino was a painful loss, though Uribe has filled in in many ways. The biggest loss, it seems, is Gordon. If he were still here we might not be having these conversations about Koch. Gordon makes $3.5 million with the Yankees, which is about half of Koch's salary. Why did we let him go?

The biggest losses were Gordon, Colon and Everett. Everett, though, was a no brainer to let go because he didn't have a position here (he's no CF). But a rotation of Colon, Loaiza, Buehrle, Garland and Schoenweiss would be awfully tough to beat - and you also have to remember that Colon is a huge innings eater, which makes the bullpen's job that much easier, which can play a huge role over the course of a season. KW did a decent job by bringing in Politte and Takatsu, both of whom appear to me to be at least serviceable. But Gordon was the closer last year and they Sox are still looking for a replacement for him. I think it's about time to just say the job is Marte's at let him run with it.

poorme
05-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Graffanino would look pretty nice instead of Dransfeldt.

Jerko
05-05-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by mjmcend
not to mention that alomar is done with for quite some time due to injury

I think Graf AND Carl are currently (or recently) on the DL as well.

munchman33
05-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
I think Graf AND Carl are currently (or recently) on the DL as well.

You are correct sir. And Carl probably won't play again until late this year. Shoulder surgery or something like that.

maurice
05-05-2004, 12:34 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread, Colon would not have bumped Scho from the rotation. He would have bumped Wright (0-4, 8.15 ERA). KW planned to start Scho this season the day he traded for him.

All my handwringing involved Colon and (to a much lesser extent) Gordon. If they felt Colon turned down a reasonable offer, they should have replaced him with an alternative top-of-the-rotaiton starter. I stand by my assessment.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2004, 12:39 PM
This is all 20/20 hindsight and proves nothing .

Circumstances might be different in regards to injuries if they stayed with the Sox. It doesn't automatically guarantee the same thing would happen.

The only question is this, over 162 games would the Sox have a better chance at winning something substancial, if they had kept some of these guys...?

YES.

Lip

wdelaney72
05-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Colon is a great asset to any pitching staff. But, Anaheim, WAY overpaid for him (4 yrs $51 million). The last Sox pitcher with a big 4 year contract was Jamie Navarro, I think we all remember what a good investment that was.

CHISOXFAN13
05-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Graffanino would look pretty nice instead of Dransfeldt.

Dransfeldt wasn't Graff's replacement. If Tony was still here, there's a pretty good chance we wouldn't be enjoying Uribe's stellar play in a ChiSox uni.

poorme
05-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Dransfeldt wasn't Graff's replacement. If Tony was still here, there's a pretty good chance we wouldn't be enjoying Uribe's stellar play in a ChiSox uni.

Probably true, but there's no rule that prevents a team from having 2 decent backup infielders. There's no excuse for how thin we are in the middle infielder department.

mdep524
05-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
This is all 20/20 hindsight and proves nothing .

Circumstances might be different in regards to injuries if they stayed with the Sox. It doesn't automatically guarantee the same thing would happen.

The only question is this, over 162 games would the Sox have a better chance at winning something substancial, if they had kept some of these guys...?

YES.

Lip

Ohhhh silly silly Lip. By saying it "proves nothing" you seem to be implying there is no way to analyze or reflect on the relative merit of the Sox off season decisions. The Sox made some good decisions, some bad decisons, and had some decisions out of their hands (Colon, becuae no team with any intelligence on Earth would match the Angels offer) in the off season. It's a mixed bag, but I believe we can look to this season's performance to make a few judgements.

Also, if Everett or Alomar were hitting .350 right now, you wouldn't discount it by saying "circumstances might be different" if they were in Chicago. I have no problem with negativity, but you have to allow for your negative claims to theoretically be refuted.

ma_deuce
05-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by maurice
As I mentioned in the other thread, Colon would not have bumped Scho from the rotation. He would have bumped Wright (0-4, 8.15 ERA). KW planned to start Scho this season the day he traded for him.

I have to agree. We are still lacking a top starter because of Colon's departure and regardless of Shoen's spot. Wright is not cutting it and I am sure that a four man rotation isn't going to help the other starters do any better. We need another quality stater, big time.

Deuce

Paulwny
05-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ma_deuce
I have to agree. We are still lacking a top starter because of Colon's departure and irregardless of Shoen's spot. Wright is not cutting it and I am sure that a four man rotation isn't going to help the other starters do any better. We need another quality stater, big time.

Deuce

I think we'll have to wait till the All Star break, teams out of the running will be dumping payroll. Of course our number one criterai will be, the starter doesn't have a long term contract.

Jerome
05-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Jerry Manuel must be one helluva manager to get so much out of these guys.

(NOT REALLY)

A. Cavatica
05-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The biggest losses were Gordon, Colon and Everett. Everett, though, was a no brainer to let go because he didn't

Good riddance to Alomar and Everett. They're not even as good as Harris and Rowand, way more expensive, and capable of poisoning the clubhouse.

Graffanino and Sullivan would've played useful roles on this team, but KW appears to have done a good job with the Uribe and Takatsu signings.

Colon and Gordon are the two big losses. It made financial sense to let them go, but we haven't even attempted to replace them. The moral of the story: it's a lot harder to save money on frontline talent than it is to save money on role players and washed-up stars.