PDA

View Full Version : Observations from the Yard - 5/4/04


delben91
05-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Hey all, I was at Camden Yards tonight, here are some things I noticed.

1. Dransfeldt can't get back to AAA soon enough. On Olivo's first throw into centerfield, Kelly was late getting to the bag, no one was covering. Then he pulled the "through the wickets" number a few innings later. Towards the end of the game, I think it was Mora, hit a decently hard grounder to Kelly's right, he paused, took a step, and did a little falling-dive move as the ball scooted into leftfield.

2. I was sitting practically on top of the Sox bullpen, and when Loaiza was warming up before the game he was coughing and weezing big time. Don't know quite what to think of it, but maybe he wasn't actually at 100% out there.

3. Crede's swing is absolutely huge right now. He managed to get around on that home run, but he was just flat out behind every pitch the rest of the game.

4. Konerko, Lee and Rowand look lost at the plate right now.

Hopefully the Sox got this all out of their system tonight and can rebound tomorrow. There are going to be games like this, the Sox couldn't get any bounces and the Orioles got them all.

Oh, one positive, the Sox were quite patient at the plate tonight, taking all the walks DuBose wanted to give out. Unfortunately no clutch hits to bring them in, but not too many one pitch at bats either.

I'll be back at the Yard tomorrow, perhaps with some more insights.

GO SOX!!

- Delben

OEO Magglio
05-04-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Hey all, I was at Camden Yards tonight, here are some things I noticed.

1. Dransfeldt can't get back to AAA soon enough. On Olivo's first throw into centerfield, Kelly was late getting to the bag, no one was covering. Then he pulled the "through the wickets" number a few innings later. Towards the end of the game, I think it was Mora, hit a decently hard grounder to Kelly's right, he paused, took a step, and did a little falling-dive move as the ball scooted into leftfield.

2. I was sitting practically on top of the Sox bullpen, and when Loaiza was warming up before the game he was coughing and weezing big time. Don't know quite what to think of it, but maybe he wasn't actually at 100% out there.

3. Crede's swing is absolutely huge right now. He managed to get around on that home run, but he was just flat out behind every pitch the rest of the game.

4. Konerko, Lee and Rowand look lost at the plate right now.

Hopefully the Sox got this all out of their system tonight and can rebound tomorrow. There are going to be games like this, the Sox couldn't get any bounces and the Orioles got them all.

Oh, one positive, the Sox were quite patient at the plate tonight, taking all the walks DuBose wanted to give out. Unfortunately no clutch hits to bring them in, but not too many one pitch at bats either.

I'll be back at the Yard tomorrow, perhaps with some more insights.

GO SOX!!

- Delben
Lee has looked pretty lost at the plate all year. Crede on the other hand doesn't scare me at all, he takes some of the ugliest swings you'll ever see, but in the same at bat take a good cut and get a hit, that's just crede. Also I'm pretty sure this is the last time we'll see Kelly playing ss at the major league level the rest of the year.

chisox1388
05-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Lee has looked pretty lost at the plate all year. Crede on the other hand doesn't scare me at all, he takes some of the ugliest swings you'll ever see, but in the same at bat take a good cut and get a hit, that's just crede. Also I'm pretty sure this is the last time we'll see Kelly playing ss at the major league level the rest of the year.

Are you Hawk Harrelson?

batmanZoSo
05-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Lee has looked pretty lost at the plate all year. Crede on the other hand doesn't scare me at all, he takes some of the ugliest swings you'll ever see, but in the same at bat take a good cut and get a hit, that's just crede. Also I'm pretty sure this is the last time we'll see Kelly playing ss at the major league level the rest of the year.

Crede's got what 6 homers and 14 rbis? That's excellent. He just needs to get his batting average up and he will. He's like Magglio with the slow starts, only this year neither of them are starting slow with power numbers. They could both end up having their best years. Crede's never gonna be a main cog in the lineup. I think in general people need to lower their expectations of him.

Hokiesox
05-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Delben, were you sitting in about dead center field wearing an 83 jersey and a blue 83 hat?

delben91
05-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Delben, were you sitting in about dead center field wearing an 83 jersey and a blue 83 hat?

Nope, I was in left field, right by the mesh fences at the catcher's end of the bullpens. Sporting the green St. Patty's Day Sox cap and a University of Delaware jacket.

I'll be back in the same area tomorrow if I can get studied up for my exam on thursday. If I get down there I'll have on the gray road jersey with no name and the same green cap. It was section 84 today, I'll be shooting for the same tomorrow.

Hokiesox
05-05-2004, 12:13 AM
I'm in 54, FF, seat 1 tomorrow

I'll be in a home white uni, no name on back, and black sox cap.

OEO Magglio
05-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by chisox1388
Are you Hawk Harrelson?
LOL, no just my own observations. It's the truth though Crede was slumping at the beginning of the year, but still able to drive in big runs when we need him. I'm just a big fan of Joe cause he's a clutch hitter, and a lot of times he has an ugly swing, but he gets it together when he has to, that's what I'm trying to say, Joe is one of the last players on this team that worries me.

CubKilla
05-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by delben91
Nope, I was in left field, right by the mesh fences at the catcher's end of the bullpens. Sporting the green St. Patty's Day Sox cap and a University of Delaware jacket.

Was that tool who threw back Maggs HR ball in the 1st a Cubs fan? :)

iwannago
05-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by delben91
Hey all, I was at Camden Yards tonight, here are some things I noticed.

1. Dransfeldt can't get back to AAA soon enough. On Olivo's first throw into centerfield, Kelly was late getting to the bag, no one was covering. Then he pulled the "through the wickets" number a few innings later. Towards the end of the game, I think it was Mora, hit a decently hard grounder to Kelly's right, he paused, took a step, and did a little falling-dive move as the ball scooted into leftfield.

2. I was sitting practically on top of the Sox bullpen, and when Loaiza was warming up before the game he was coughing and weezing big time. Don't know quite what to think of it, but maybe he wasn't actually at 100% out there.

3. Crede's swing is absolutely huge right now. He managed to get around on that home run, but he was just flat out behind every pitch the rest of the game.



4. Konerko, Lee and Rowand look lost at the plate right now.

Hopefully the Sox got this all out of their system tonight and can rebound tomorrow. There are going to be games like this, the Sox couldn't get any bounces and the Orioles got them all.

Oh, one positive, the Sox were quite patient at the plate tonight, taking all the walks DuBose wanted to give out. Unfortunately no clutch hits to bring them in, but not too many one pitch at bats either.

I'll be back at the Yard tomorrow, perhaps with some more insights.

GO SOX!!

- Delben


Uribe should have covered second on the steal.

Hokiesox
05-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Was that tool who threw back Maggs HR ball in the 1st a Cubs fan? :)

I don't know, but the tools in my section were screaming at him to throw it back. Then we had some guy trying to start a wave. O's fans really ticked me off last night, they're not usually so trendy.

bigdommer
05-05-2004, 09:19 AM
I think what the "experts" predicted of Crede when the White Sox called him up is pretty accurate. A sure handed, steady defensive 3B with a long swing and pretty decent power, not a star but a solid everyday player. I think 20 HR, 80 RBI, and gold-glove D (behind) Chavez. Crede will probably not hit .300 because his swing is long and he strikes out one out of every five AB's. If everyone else on this team plays to their ability, a .260, 23 HR, 85 RBI for Joe would be outstanding.

elrod
05-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Oriole fans are terrible. I'm from the DC area and I've been to dozens of games at Camden Yards. The stadium is the most beautiful in America. But the fans are so passive. In 1997 I went to 21 O's games - including two in the playoffs. The fans have to be told to cheer. The only exception was Game 6 of the ALCS in 1997 - and that was because the Cleveland Plain Dealer directly insulted the fans and cit of Baltimore as a bunch of sissies. The crowd that day was electric and loud. The O's lost 1-0 in 11 innings (Benitez gave up the homer to Tony Fernandez) but it was the greatest game I've ever seen. The exceptional crowd helped. Unfortunately, it was very very exceptional.

The Orioles are my third favorite team (behind the White Sox and Mets) and I was still the loudest rooter for the O's in my section, every time. It's hard to underestimate how much the atmosphere at O's games has changed since Memorial Stadium. Back then it was pure redneckdom - crazy, half-filled, obnoxious, yet knowledgeable fans. In a word: great. In fact, Orioles fans back in the late 1990s were the antithesis of White Sox fans. They'd fill the stadium and stay quiet the whole time, whereas Sox fans (and Memorial Stadium fans too) would take up about a third of the stadium but make more noise than a Camden Yards sellout. Camden is so damn yuppified it's sickening. And it's not all "DC lawyers" either. I saw lots of people from the Baltimore suburbs (their t-shirts usually said as much) and they were just as addicted to their cell phones as the tools from K Street.

jackbrohamer
05-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Why all this talk about baseball? What was the attendance !!!!!

Hokiesox
05-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by elrod
Oriole fans are terrible. I'm from the DC area and I've been to dozens of games at Camden Yards. The stadium is the most beautiful in America. But the fans are so passive. In 1997 I went to 21 O's games - including two in the playoffs. The fans have to be told to cheer. The only exception was Game 6 of the ALCS in 1997 - and that was because the Cleveland Plain Dealer directly insulted the fans and cit of Baltimore as a bunch of sissies. The crowd that day was electric and loud. The O's lost 1-0 in 11 innings (Benitez gave up the homer to Tony Fernandez) but it was the greatest game I've ever seen. The exceptional crowd helped. Unfortunately, it was very very exceptional.

The Orioles are my third favorite team (behind the White Sox and Mets) and I was still the loudest rooter for the O's in my section, every time. It's hard to underestimate how much the atmosphere at O's games has changed since Memorial Stadium. Back then it was pure redneckdom - crazy, half-filled, obnoxious, yet knowledgeable fans. In a word: great. In fact, Orioles fans back in the late 1990s were the antithesis of White Sox fans. They'd fill the stadium and stay quiet the whole time, whereas Sox fans (and Memorial Stadium fans too) would take up about a third of the stadium but make more noise than a Camden Yards sellout. Camden is so damn yuppified it's sickening. And it's not all "DC lawyers" either. I saw lots of people from the Baltimore suburbs (their t-shirts usually said as much) and they were just as addicted to their cell phones as the tools from K Street.

I guess I would be a tool from K street, in your language. Though, I turned my cell phone off. Furthermore, my Mariners fan friend and I heckled the yuppie looking wife (black leather jacket and black CFM pants) who spent the whole game on the cell phone sitting next to her yuppie looking husband who called his buddy after every orioles run, then turned to me (4 seats away) and pointed and laughed every time. I finally gave him the "universal gesture of friendship" after the fifth run.

Did anyone see the big fracas in right field next to the fan deck? It was hysterical. Some tool stood up and yelled "yankees suck!" and some other guy got up and decked him. The cops dragged them out to monument park where they continued pummeling each other until the cops finally dragged the yankees fans away. They let the other guys go.