PDA

View Full Version : Mike Veeck... Much better than just dragging the infield!

Tekijawa
05-04-2004, 04:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/2004/0504/1795112.html

The Guy gets a 2 day minor league contract, and at least one chance to bat!

Baby Fisk
05-04-2004, 04:32 PM
This is a pathetic farce. It's called "professional" sports for a reason, and it's not because someone gets to buy their way in. I hope he takes one in the ear.

nasox
05-04-2004, 04:33 PM
This just shows me that Mike has his father's flair for promoting his team like this. Get him on the South Side before some other teams snatches him away, like the, god forbid, Cubs.....

thepaulbowski
05-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Promotions like this belong in the minor leagues, keep them there.

Rocky Soprano
05-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by nasox
This just shows me that Mike has his father's flair for promoting his team like this. Get him on the South Side before some other teams snatches him away, like the, god forbid, Cubs.....

Last time I checked the Cubs dont need help.

daveeym
05-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
This is a pathetic farce. It's called "professional" sports for a reason, and it's not because someone gets to buy their way in. I hope he takes one in the ear.
Lighten up

Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Promotions like this belong in the minor leagues, keep them there.

Yeah what he said. and its for a good cause. This is northern league baseball a last resort for has beens and never were's or will be's. If it were the major's i'd strongly agree with you but its not.

Brian26
05-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by nasox

I'm sure the scrubs would have signed him up years ago if he was worth anything.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Remember the name Mike Veeck, WSI fans.

Lip

CubKilla
05-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I'm sure the scrubs would have signed him up years ago if he was worth anything.

The sCrUBS don't need a promotional guy.

Railsplitter
05-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Mike "Disco Demolition" Veeck. I don't know if the guy who came up with Cleveland's 10 cent beer night is still alive, and that is the only person I can think of who would be worse at being in charge of promotions.

batmanZoSo
05-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Mike "Disco Demolition" Veeck. I don't know if the guy who came up with Cleveland's 10 cent beer night is still alive, and that is the only person I can think of who would be worse at being in charge of promotions.

That beer thing was a total disaster.

How about giving uzis to the first 10,000 fans? It might turn out violent, but you know we'd get all the calls. :smile:

VeeckAsInWreck
05-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

I know who he is, but why should everyone remember his name? :?:

JohnBasedowYoda
05-05-2004, 12:22 AM
i think something like that is cool, just as long as it stays in the minors. i wouldn't want crazy junk like that in the majors. I mean, the guy would prolly GDIP and we've got enough of that

hsnterprize
05-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip I remember a promotion he had while owning a minor league team in the south a couple of years. There was a lot of talk about a possible baseball strike, and so Veeck decided to tell his players just how fortunate they are in playing pro ball. Veeck had fans go to a large party tent instead of walking into the stadium to watch the first 5 innings of a game. Why? Because Veeck wanted the "official attendance" to be ZERO...to show the players what happens when they put their selfish interests ahead of the paying public. Once the attendance was recorded, the fans were allowed into the ballpark.

That may be a "minor league" promotion, but the Sox sure could use that kind of creativity to bring fans in the ballpark. It's a "beating the dead horse" topic, but the Sox have a TON of work to do to bring fans in.