PDA

View Full Version : Time To Sign Loiza

34 Inch Stick
05-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Just thought I would repeat myself a few times before he becomes a starter somewhere else next year.

I would bet he can still be had for 3 years at 5 million now.

Hondo
05-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Agreed.

KW...Do it. Do it.

munchman33
05-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Just thought I would repeat myself a few times before he becomes a starter somewhere else next year.

I would bet he can still be had for 3 years at 5 million now.

He'll probably require 7, 8, and 9 million for a three year deal. The guy almost won the CY Young last year and is 4-0 with a era in the threes to start this season.

santo=dorf
05-04-2004, 05:24 PM
L-O-A-I-Z-A!!!

Can we wait to see if this guy can win after April this year too?

jackbrohamer
05-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Don't bet on it if he has a season similar to last year's; he'll probably seek a long-term contract and Reinsdorf doesn't believe in them for pitchers.

Unless of course that pitcher happens to be........... :jaime

nasox
05-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Yea, we probably should wait and not get it done immediately. If he is a 20 game winner, or close to it, he will command 7-8 million. Cy Young Winner, even more than that. Of course, I don't think he will win a Cy Young this year and I think we should sign him for 6 million. That sounds fair. A 2.5 million raise. This is of course if he continues to pitch great, winning something like 16-18 games or more and eats up a lot of innings. I just hope JR doesn't offer him an incentive laden contract. That being said, Loaiza isn't going to walk unless we offer him something ridiculous. And personally, I would have him ink a 3 year deal with a mutual option for 4. But, if Loaiza would sign something like a 2 year deal with a mutual option for 3, that would be better. It'll be interesting to see what happens, but I sure as hell want him in black next year.

Randar68
05-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by nasox
It'll be interesting to see what happens, but I sure as hell want him in black next year.

Amen, liked your other ideas as well. I do think Loaiza definitely feels some allegiance to Chicago and the organization for giving him the opportunity to resurrect his career.

He's a SUPER nice guy, and seems to enjoy the current team as well.

We'll see, but I hope he takes a nice contract without trying to ham-string the organization and preventing them from doing other things to make this team a legit contender.

Hondo
05-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Keep your fingers crossed the union and his agent don't put the squeeze play on.
I don't see too many guys especially who belong to the MLBPA take smaller contracts in return for personal happiness.
Esty seems like he could be one of those guys in the minority.
Just my perception but he seems like a geniunely good guy.
Every game I've been to he's the last/one of last to leave the field while signing autographs.

Win1ForMe
05-04-2004, 06:00 PM
I was thinking Loaiza should get Woody Williams type money ($7M per) but might surpass that if he continues on his current pace. If he racks up the wins and lowers his ERA below 3.50, he probably could get $10M from someone.

davidleeroth
05-04-2004, 06:17 PM
if i was a betting man, i would put money down that he'll be in san diego next year

owensmouth
05-04-2004, 06:29 PM
"I would bet he can still be had for 3 years at 5 million now."

Notta chance. He'll be looking for the same kind of money Bartolo got. And, depending on what he does in the next few months, he just might deserve it. He'll probably sign with the Yankees. Boston's not going to be able to afford him either.

Just like Magglio, this guy's gonna be out to maximize his contract. His spot in the rotation will belong to Cotts.

Over By There
05-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
He'll be looking for the same kind of money Bartolo got.

That's probably an exageration, but I'm not sure there's many pitchers worth that. As much as I love ELo, we could probably do better for that kind of scratch... If he gets a Colon-esque contract it would be a shock, especially if it's a 4 year deal like Bartolo's.

Randar68
05-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
[B}Notta chance. He'll be looking for the same kind of money Bartolo got. And, depending on what he does in the next few months, he just might deserve it. [/B]

Huh, Bartolo is a legit ace and was one for a while, he has a long history of success. Loaiza is in his 30's and has had one good year + a month. His velocity has been up and down this year so far.

I would definitely sign him to a 4 year deal or less, but at no more than an average of 7 million or so.

owensmouth , you've had some pretty silly posts today, maybe time for the...

:prozac

StillMissOzzie
05-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Amen, liked your other ideas as well. I do think Loaiza definitely feels some allegiance to Chicago and the organization for giving him the opportunity to resurrect his career.

Originally posted by Win1ForMe
I was thinking Loaiza should get Woody Williams type money ($7M per) but might surpass that if he continues on his current pace.

Unfortunately, I think the loyalty issue is way overplayed. The loyalty and allegiance end with the end of the contract this year. IMHO, he will ask for and get Williams / Ponson type money for at least 3 yrs / $21M, and get it. I just hope the White Sox are the ones PAYING it.

SMO

depy48
05-04-2004, 08:26 PM
lets get Maggs done first

nasox
05-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by depy48
lets get Maggs done first

This is true, but it is never too early to stary worrying about the future. Best have a gameplan now.

dougs78
05-04-2004, 11:51 PM
The total amount of the contact is about correct...but you have one too many years. I'd say 2 years 14 million would be what he'll be asking for. Our only hope might be that he gives us a hometown discount for salvaging him. Even then I can't imagine him being less than 6 million per.

Randar68
05-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
The total amount of the contact is about correct...but you have one too many years. I'd say 2 years 14 million would be what he'll be asking for. Our only hope might be that he gives us a hometown discount for salvaging him. Even then I can't imagine him being less than 6 million per.

He's looking for his last good contract, there's no way he'll sign for less than 3 years and a 4th option... Maybe a small $$$$ discount, but not on the years...

iwannago
05-05-2004, 12:44 AM
I'm not so sure I'd want to lock up Loiaza now for multiple years at 5M per or better

gosox41
05-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by munchman33
He'll probably require 7, 8, and 9 million for a three year deal. The guy almost won the CY Young last year and is 4-0 with a era in the threes to start this season.

His numbers aren't as good as last years. I think there's a comparison in the front page of today's Trib. HR's are up. K's are way down. Not a good omen.

Bob

34 Inch Stick
05-05-2004, 12:50 PM
The divergence of opinion on this post is why I said 5 million per. Loiza is older and has a track record of bad pitching. Even with two good years there will be questions about him. I imagine he even has questions about himself.

I think he would take the security of three years right now and not gamble on his production for the rest of the season. If his ERA is over 4 at the end of the year he is back to a 2-3 million, 1 year and club option type of player.

Randar68
05-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
His numbers aren't as good as last years. I think there's a comparison in the front page of today's Trib. HR's are up. K's are way down. Not a good omen.

Bob

His velocity is down slightly, which is a cause for concern. Last night, I thought he pitched well, but he wasn't getting anything on the RH-d hitter's side of the plate last night and that kills a pitcher who rely's on that being called a strike (cutter as an out-pitch)

owensmouth
05-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Huh, Bartolo is a legit ace and was one for a while, he has a long history of success. Loaiza is in his 30's and has had one good year + a month. His velocity has been up and down this year so far.

Bartolo was a hardthrowing potential star. He averaged right around 15 wins per season. Good, but not great.

He won 18 games in 1999, but couldn't keep it up.

Two years ago he finally won twenty games (albeit split between two teams). Last year he didn't come close, he basically reverted to what he been doing for Cleveland all along.

Loaiza hasn't been as successful year to year. He was good for up to 11 wins until last year. He finally put it all togeather for us and claimed 21 wins.

So far this year he has a four and one record, just like last year. If he averages three wins per month plus one extra, he will be able to go on the market as a proven twenty game winner, a back to back twenty game winner.

His age may worry some, but he's only 16 months older than Bartolo.

Obviously, if he only wins five more games this year, all bets are off. But if he wins twenty again (and I do hope he does),he's going to be as hot a piece of meat as anyone available.

Would he accept less than the maximum, just to stay on the south side? Would you? Especially if the difference is in millions?

Five months ago I said we should resign E-Lo. Most everybody said wait. Now we're gonna have to.