PDA

View Full Version : Honel and Wing update

hose
05-04-2004, 07:19 AM
I'm hoping these guys are ok.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep04.html

mjmcend
05-04-2004, 12:31 PM
So do I. I am a huge Honel fan. I think he will do wonders someday.

iwannago
05-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by hose
I'm hoping these guys are ok.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep04.html

This seems to be pretty typical of Sox pitching prospects.

SoxxoS
05-04-2004, 01:56 PM
I could have SWORN it was elbow at first for Honel.

Konerko05
05-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I could have SWORN it was elbow at first for Honel.

I also thought it was the elbow. Well this is even worse news, shoulder soreness with a dropoff in velocity. It was nice knowing you Honel. This kind of stuff happens though when your number one draft pick is a high school pitcher.

DrCrawdad
05-04-2004, 03:22 PM

Randar68
05-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05
I also thought it was the elbow. Well this is even worse news, shoulder soreness with a dropoff in velocity. It was nice knowing you Honel. This kind of stuff happens though when your number one draft pick is a high school pitcher.

Hoenl experienced tendonitis early in his professional career, something very common for HS pitchers adjusting to the length of the minor league seasons.

Chisoxfn
05-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Dont' get too worried. Structurally he is healthy and Honel hasn't pitched in a while. He pitched in a simulated game to get himself back in shape. Your velocity isn't going to be back where it is, after taking nearly a month hiatus, especially when your also recovering from soreness.

I'm glad the Sox are taking things slowly with both of them. They'll each get about half a season in, maybe a little more, and continue their upward climb, but first the Sox are making sure they are alright and not letting them pitch or come back too soon while risking much more serious injuries.

munchman33
05-04-2004, 05:25 PM
It was nice knowing you Honel.

I think that's a little premature for someone just experiencing a little shoulder discomfort.

Chisoxfn
05-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
I think that's a little premature for someone just experiencing a little shoulder discomfort.

Ya, its not like the Sox are rushing them back like they did with Rauch and to a lesser extent Barcelo. In fact, it seems to me as if the Sox learned from those mistakes and are really taking things a lot slower on injured pitchers, easing their way back, which is good considering all of the players we are talking about are still incredibly young and are developing (both mentally and physically still). They may not be getting taller, but their bodies are still just beginning to fill out.

Konerko05
05-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Ya, its not like the Sox are rushing them back like they did with Rauch and to a lesser extent Barcelo. In fact, it seems to me as if the Sox learned from those mistakes and are really taking things a lot slower on injured pitchers, easing their way back, which is good considering all of the players we are talking about are still incredibly young and are developing (both mentally and physically still). They may not be getting taller, but their bodies are still just beginning to fill out.

My point was that I would much rather have it be an elbow injury than a shoulder injury. If he really does have a shoulder injury then it is going to be a long road back for him. There aren't many pitchers who have shoulder injuries and come back with the same stuff. If he's already having shoulder problems at this age, then it is going to be a tough road for him ahead.

Chisoxfn
05-04-2004, 07:07 PM
My point was that I would much rather have it be an elbow injury than a shoulder injury. If he really does have a shoulder injury then it is going to be a long road back for him. There aren't many pitchers who have shoulder injuries and come back with the same stuff. If he's already having shoulder problems at this age, then it is going to be a tough road for him ahead.
Agreed. Until this article everyone has been very hush hush on the injury. I still think its tendinitis and it will clear up.

Randar68
05-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Agreed. Until this article everyone has been very hush hush on the injury. I still think its tendinitis and it will clear up.

The way they've treated the "injury" would definitely point to some kind of tendonitis or dead-arm problem more than any type of serious injury...

hose
05-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Hoenl experienced tendonitis early in his professional career, something very common for HS pitchers adjusting to the length of the minor league seasons.

What is the latest you have heard about Honel and Wing?

Rex Hudler
05-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Update on May 22.......

Wing is undergoing shoulder surgery and it out for the year.

Honel is still trying to work back from ELBOW problems, not shoulder problems as indicated in the article. They couldn't find anything wrong with him, yet he was experiencing pain.

That pain has gone away, but his velocity is way off. In the simulated game they referred to in the article, he was throwing mostly 80-82, topping at 86, once. I spoke with him a couple of days later and he was really worred something is wrong, but they can't pinpoint it. I spoke with him again the other day and he said he felt better and was starting to regain some arm strength, but that he was still way off where he should be.

They will take their time with him and see how that goes. Personally, my gut feeling is something more is wrong and that he may not pitch again this season, but that is just a gut feeling and not based on any inside info. I do know that Honel was really worried and ever more frustrated.

Hope that helps.

jeremyb1
05-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Update on May 22.......

Wing is undergoing shoulder surgery and it out for the year.

Honel is still trying to work back from ELBOW problems, not shoulder problems as indicated in the article. They couldn't find anything wrong with him, yet he was experiencing pain.

That pain has gone away, but his velocity is way off. In the simulated game they referred to in the article, he was throwing mostly 80-82, topping at 86, once. I spoke with him a couple of days later and he was really worred something is wrong, but they can't pinpoint it. I spoke with him again the other day and he said he felt better and was starting to regain some arm strength, but that he was still way off where he should be.

They will take their time with him and see how that goes. Personally, my gut feeling is something more is wrong and that he may not pitch again this season, but that is just a gut feeling and not based on any inside info. I do know that Honel was really worried and ever more frustrated.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the update. It's good that Honel seems to be making some progress even if it is limited. Ryan Wing...well it's too bad we didn't get to use him as trade bait first.

lowesox
05-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Hm. I think our system could use an influx of pitching at the upcoming draft. This thread is a pretty good reminder of that.

minastirith67
05-22-2004, 02:04 PM
god damnit...Honel is from Bourbonnais, not New Lennox! He went to high school at Providence in New Lennox. I should know as I grew up with him in junior high.

Too bad he snubbed Bradley-Bourbonnais Community High School...our team won the AA championship the year I graduated (2001).

That being said, I hope he does heal well and soon.

BigEdWalsh
05-22-2004, 02:38 PM
I appreciate the link! I've been wondering what the heck was going on with these guys, especially Honel. I've had high hopes for him...and still do.
:biged