PDA

View Full Version : Shingo lingo

cburns
05-03-2004, 11:54 PM
What does everyone think about Takatsu? I think he is definitely the best guy going in the bullpen right now. He has the nerves to close based on how he pitched in Japan. He didnt get the name "Mr Zero" for nothing...holla back

SEALgep
05-03-2004, 11:58 PM
I think he's doing well, and I'm certainly glad to have him. I would argue Cotts has been the best guy in the pen thus far, but Shingo hasn't cost us at all. He's done well. I'm just glad the air was thick tonight, because that Lopez swing had me nervous until I saw Lee had a play at it on the warning track.

Thigpen Rules
05-04-2004, 12:02 AM
I think he's close to takin over that right setup man role away from Politte , he has looked good, though Javy's shot got me nervous :D:

Nard
05-04-2004, 12:03 AM
On the ESPN broadcast they talked about him getting a "beer shampoo" after his first major league win (it would've been a full beer shower but he had to pitch in the nightcap), and his interpreter was out of town so they don't know what he thinks about it.

Let's just watch out for that hidden sex tape.

nasox
05-04-2004, 12:03 AM
He's looked good, but Cotts is definitely the best guy coming out of the bullpen right now. NO DOUBT

JohnBasedowYoda
05-04-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Nard
Let's just watch out for that hidden sex tape.

Not cool, but whateva

I hope shingo learns english, i want to hear him directly!

OurBitchinMinny
05-04-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by cburns
What does everyone think about Takatsu? I think he is definitely the best guy going in the bullpen right now. He has the nerves to close based on how he pitched in Japan. He didnt get the name "Mr Zero" for nothing...holla back

I dont think hes even close to the best guy in the pen. He has an 80 mph fastball. He can be effective if he doesnt hang pitches in the center of the plate. Any other night that ball is out of the park and shingo is being ripped like crazy on this boad and all other boards. He is certainly capable (like everyone else in the pen) of giant collapses and big innings.

mikef1331
05-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Shingo has pitched really well so far, he's settled down nicely after spring training and his first outing in NY. He looks better everytime he goes on the mound. i think he's finally getting use to the majors. Did anyone else notice the crowd's respose at tonights game when he threw his fist pitch?... it was a collective "Oooooohhh".

DrCrawdad
05-04-2004, 01:34 AM
Here's my suggestion for a White Sox commercial...

Remember those old Japanese monster movies with the dubbed English? Well get Shingo to make a Sox TV promotion and then overdub some American reading the lines, off course be sure that Shingo's lip movements are out of sync with the American-English overdub.

OurBitchinMinny
05-04-2004, 02:22 AM
Overall cotts has been the best out of the pen. I thought koch was starting to turn a corner and then he almost blew it tonight (to be fair he should have been out of the inning with no runs....the ump screwed him when surhoff was up on what should have been a backwards K).

I know cotts has been great out of the pen, but I think eventually he needs to be in the rotation. Ozzie said hes not considering him for the rotation right now. The sooner he gets in the better. We arent grooming him to be a long term reliever are we? He doesnt have closer stuff and that would be the only pen spot to groom someone for. He is a #2-#4 starter eventually and needs to be in the rotation eventually. Put wright in the pen. He can be effective out there. Maybe give diaz a chance at #5 spot first, if he cant do it, go to cotts. Cotts needs to get in the rotation sometime though.

kermittheefrog
05-04-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
I dont think hes even close to the best guy in the pen. He has an 80 mph fastball. He can be effective if he doesnt hang pitches in the center of the plate. Any other night that ball is out of the park and shingo is being ripped like crazy on this boad and all other boards. He is certainly capable (like everyone else in the pen) of giant collapses and big innings.

Good call. Velocity decides who is the best in the pen, not results. I'm not saying Shingo is the best guy in the pen, just velocity is no way to make the call. Jamie Moyer only throws 80.

depy48
05-04-2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Remember those old Japanese monster movies with the dubbed English? Well get Shingo to make a Sox TV promotion and then overdub some American reading the lines, off course be sure that Shingo's lip movements are out of sync with the American-English overdub.

it'd get me to buy tickets!

TommyJohn
05-04-2004, 06:02 AM
this thread title sounds like a Karen Carpenter song.

TommyJohn
05-04-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

And have a giant size Frank Thomas come stomping into the
picture and have Shingo look up and yell "Frankzilla!"

Just bein' silly. :D: :D: :D: :D:

Nick@Nite
05-04-2004, 06:16 AM
Mr. Zero is being used for maximum effect... bring him in for key match-ups, and let him mop up occasionally... anything more than that will see big league hitters granny-gear-down their swing & timing and start mashing those junk balls into orbit.

34 Inch Stick
05-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Exactly!

He is a situational reliever. His biggest asset is fooling the hitters. The more frequently he is out their the more familiar batters will be with his stuff.

I have no problem witht he way Politte has pitched this year.

ozzman
05-04-2004, 08:57 AM
If anyone has watched shingo pitch from the fan deck, they would be a fan of shingo. holy moly that guy has insane amount of movement on his pitches and by changing speeds on them i've seen so many people look so stupid up at the plate. the fan deck really is the best place to watch a game at the park

Palehose13
05-04-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by mikef1331
Did anyone else notice the crowd's respose at tonights game when he threw his fist pitch?... it was a collective "Oooooohhh".

I noticed that and it was exactly the way I responded the first time I saw him in person and was sitting behind the plate. His stuff is nasty, but you really can't tell on TV.

OurBitchinMinny
05-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Good call. Velocity decides who is the best in the pen, not results. I'm not saying Shingo is the best guy in the pen, just velocity is no way to make the call. Jamie Moyer only throws 80.

You really feel comfortable with the crap he throws up there? That pitch last night was murdered. Any other night that goes out there. Hes made strides, but even he thought that one was gone when it left the bat. Hes been much better than I counted on overall so far, but he is not the top option out of the pen.

Baby Fisk
05-04-2004, 10:35 AM
I like Shingo's junk. It has made a lot of batters look like rubes. But jeez, that pitch last night that was almost a HR, I could FEEL the keratins draining out of my hair...

I hate this bullpen, but at the same time I've never had a bullpen make me feel so ALIVE watching them.

fquaye149
05-04-2004, 10:38 AM
whatever. first of all, when i was watching on tv the other day he was being clocked at a steady 85-87 mph clip for his fastball and his changeup was being clocked at 60 mph every time. That's almost a 30 mph difference and he mixes it up as well as just about anyone.

Tim wakefield would love that kind of fastball/changeup disparity.

so drop this "he throws 80 mph" crap.

a.) he doesn't throw 80, unless you're talking about an average of his fastball and changeup, which would actuallywork out to be about 75.

b.) even if he did, you can still be successful if you can drop 20 mph off your fastball. hitting is all about timing and the way shingo mixes it up it's hard for any hitter to time his fastball when he's looking change or time his change even if he's looking change

ozzman
05-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Both games Saturday he was hitting 87 on almost every single fastball

cburns
05-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Since when was velocity the determining factor if your a closer? I thought it was all about results!? So far Shingo has been doing his job well.

wdelaney72
05-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Exactly!

He is a situational reliever. His biggest asset is fooling the hitters. The more frequently he is out their the more familiar batters will be with his stuff.

I have no problem witht he way Politte has pitched this year.

By that same ratinale, Keith Foulke should have been figured out a long time ago.

I'm not ready to give him the closer spot, but I think he's coming along. He is really effective at changing speeds. His control needs to be improved a bit more - too walky.

Cotts, Pollite, and Jackson have all been fantastic surprises this year out of the bullpen. Given Takatsu's hype at his signing, I've expected a bit more. Koch... I don't even want to go there.

StockdaleForVeep
05-04-2004, 01:43 PM
i find it funy how everyone is on the shingo train when people called for his head with 2 bad outings against the YANKEES

patbooyah
05-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
i find it funy how everyone is on the shingo train when people called for his head with 2 bad outings against the YANKEES

i hear that, stockdale. it has been really tough to get people to join my fan club, but i sense they will come around.

a fun fact i learned at spring training- shingo has a sign in his locker that says "please call me shingo"

pearso66
05-04-2004, 03:30 PM
And you really can't get down on a guy for almost giving up a home run. Last I checked, every pitcher gives up a home run now and then. Can't always be perfect. Needless to say, after spring training, I am pleasantly suprised by Shingo.

StockdaleForVeep
05-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
And you really can't get down on a guy for almost giving up a home run. Last I checked, every pitcher gives up a home run now and then. Can't always be perfect. Needless to say, after spring training, I am pleasantly suprised by Shingo.

also hes a closer, not a setup man, this is known to mess up peoples' concentration so maybe him not closin has him off a notch