PDA

View Full Version : Did we just lose?

MRKARNO
05-03-2004, 11:49 PM
I coulda sworn we just lost because the attitude of most sox fans is so down right now. We're 16-9, .5 out of the best record in baseball, .5 ahead in our division. I understand that there are many concerns for this team, but the offense hasnt yet hit full stride and the starting pitchers 1-4 put together 4 straight good starts for the first time this year. I expect it to happen many more times. The fact is that this team has a lot of talent and a lot of staying power. When the power comes back, and it will with the better weather, we'll start to blow out opponents more. The fact that we're 16-9 while not depending on the home run yet still utilizing it a lot really says a lot about what this team can do down the line.

I guess Sox fans wont be entirely happy until we win a playoff game, and then 10 more....What am I saying? I wont be entirely happy until we win the World Series either.

voodoochile
05-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Well you see, Koch consistently practically blows 3-run leads... :D:

Thigpen Rules
05-03-2004, 11:53 PM
whose down ?? :gulp:

I Love our team, Offense is there. Pitching is solid , pen is real nice. We have all the tools to in the division & win in the playoffs.

Wright is gone amen. My only gripe is valentin I do not want to see this guy kicking balls & throwing em in the drirt or over Konerkos head anymore

Uribe ss, Harris 2nd. Rowand CF for now , bring up a prospect

batmanZoSo
The same people who were moaning all winter and thought we were gonna suck are now "upset" because we're not winning games like they think we should be. So the hell what if we give up two runs in the ninth? That #### happens. They should be elated that we did that and still won. Great teams win games they play poorly. Save your complaints for when we lose, guys.

CubKilla
Nobody's down on the Sox. Botch on the other hand.....

MRKARNO
Originally posted by voodoochile

Well the fact is that he didn't this time. Koch has an almost Blown Save and a blown save in which we won the game. That's still 2 wins in my books.

CubKilla
05-03-2004, 11:54 PM

You performing at a Zanies in NC?

oheeoh...magglio
05-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I coulda sworn we just lost because the attitude of most sox fans is so down right now. We're 16-9, .5 out of the best record in baseball, .5 ahead in our division. I understand that there are many concerns for this team, but the offense hasnt yet hit full stride and the starting pitchers 1-4 put together 4 straight good starts for the first time this year. I expect it to happen many more times. The fact is that this team has a lot of talent and a lot of staying power. When the power comes back, and it will with the better weather, we'll start to blow out opponents more. The fact that we're 16-9 while not depending on the home run yet still utilizing it a lot really says a lot about what this team can do down the line.

I guess Sox fans wont be entirely happy until we win a playoff game, and then 10 more....What am I saying? I wont be entirely happy until we win the World Series either.

Great post, and I totally agree. It's amazing how the attitude around here is always negative, even after the wins. The constant focus on the negative around here is amazing. I mean, if you had told me the Sox would be 16-9 and all alone in first (allbeit only .5 ahead of Minny) before the season, I would have taken that and ran with it.

This team is flawed in some areas, but without a doubt has enough talent to win this division. Oh, and why is nobody talking about Schoenweiss? He had another good outing and is now 3-1.

Our rotation looks (at least 1-4) like it could be quite solid, and combine that with our offense and what IMO is a pretty decent bullpen per exception of Koch, and this is a good team.

stillz
05-03-2004, 11:56 PM
We have a very exciting team. The Ozzie era has been a thrill to watch so far. There are things to improve and overcome (bullpen instability and some low batting averages), but there are many positives. Our starting pitching has been solid, better than advertised. As roles develop in the pen, and the hitters heat up, we're gonna be right there in this division.

7 games over and a half game up - awesome!

eurotrash35
05-04-2004, 12:01 AM
These first 25 games have probably been the most exciting games to begin the season I've seen in all my years of watching Sox baseball. This is a real fun team to watch, and things like tonight add to that.

I think instead of complaining we should be laughing about how much Koch scared us and how loud we yelled after Uribe made the game saving play.

Thigpen Rules
05-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
Great post, and I totally agree. It's amazing how the attitude around here is always negative, even after the wins. The constant focus on the negative around here is amazing. I mean, if you had told me the Sox would be 16-9 and all alone in first (allbeit only .5 ahead of Minny) before the season, I would have taken that and ran with it.

This team is flawed in some areas, but without a doubt has enough talent to win this division. Oh, and why is nobody talking about Schoenweiss? He had another good outing and is now 3-1.

Our rotation looks (at least 1-4) like it could be quite solid, and combine that with our offense and what IMO is a pretty decent bullpen per exception of Koch, and this is a good team.

Well Im here now & Im as positive & upbeat as can be, at least with Ozzie, I love ozzie & i am so into this season boys,

lets roast those twinkies & crowns

PaleHoseGeorge
05-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Wow. We're now 11-7 against the East and we're already done playing the Yankees. We're also 5-2 in the Central, so we're doing just fine there, too. We haven't played the West, but I'm feeling good about it so far.

Meanwhile the Twins are just 2-1 in the East and they're 1-2 in the West. As usual, Gardenhire is piling up wins beating all the garbage piles in the Central, 12-6. The Twins can't keep playing Cleveland forever. :smile:

I don't know why MRKARNO thinks we're complaining. I sure ain't.

voodoochile
05-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Well the fact is that he didn't this time. Koch has an almost Blown Save and a blown save in which we won the game. That's still 2 wins in my books.

Actually he did practically blow a 3-run lead. And I agree. It's still two wins.

kermittheefrog
05-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Last I checked we had played 25 and there were 137 to go, not the other way around. This team doesn't look remotely like a team that is going to keep up playing as well as we have so far. The next time Koch gives up two runs in the ninth it may be with a one run lead. If a guy isn't performing why should we wait until it actually costs us something before we address the problem. Right now the Sox are lucky. A lot of things have gone our way. You don't win championships with a closer who can't throw strikes.

IA_soxfan
05-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Well, when your team hasn't won a post-season series since 1917 you tend to get a little "down". The truth is, its not enough for me for the sox to have the best record in baseball. I want them to win the WS, and with the question marks on our team right now, as it much as it hurts to say it, I don't think we can this year.

huskie26
05-04-2004, 12:38 AM
This is just the "Chicago Sports Attitude." No matter what team or sport you're a fan of in this town, you have been burned before. We have all bought into a team in this town only to be let down. None of us want to be played as fools and are always looking for the Achilles Heel that will bring our team down.

batmanZoSo
05-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Actually he did practically blow a 3-run lead. And I agree. It's still two wins.

We lead the league in PBS--practically blowing saves.

pudge
05-04-2004, 02:50 AM
Argh I despise these threads, I need to stop reading them... we are getting flat-out lucky... if everyone else wants to get all giddy over it, go right ahead. I'm certainly enjoying it, and I'm far from "down" as this thread claims, but I'm also aware that we need to start winning some games by more than one run.

Did you notice Paul Abbott (who shut us down in Tampa) got clobbered today? Did you notice a pitcher with a 7.00+ ERA shut us down today?

I have concerns, and they are valid.

blueeyes33
05-04-2004, 03:55 AM
i dunno maybe its just me.but arnt we just winning because of the other teams errors.ive noticed this in almost every game ive watched so far.it seems we are riding more on luck than talent.

Realist
05-04-2004, 06:00 AM
Good hustle and a good attitude creates luck.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Sure we've been lucky, but name me one championship team that hasn't been. We've also been; bunting, hitting home runs, running the bases aggressively, getting solid efforts from our starters and our relievers, and getting a reputation for making the other team crap themselves in the late innings.

Unless the opposing team is completely mentally sound and focused at every single moment of a game, the style of baseball that Ozzie has brought to this team can jump up and bite them on the ass and swing the momentum in our favor at any moment. Remember how a 3 run lead against the Twins or Royals wasn't enough last year? Well, that's us now. A team can ride that reputation for a long way.

I don't know about you guys, but to me this sounds like the 2003 Florida Marlins. They didn't look like the New York Yankees on paper either, but I kinda like how their season turned out.

There truly is something to be said for keeping the opposing team off balance defensively and we're reaping the rewards. Ozzie has me anticipating a "flea flicker" or a "statue of liberty" play. I can't wait for the next Sox at-bat.

:smile:

Kuzman
05-04-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by blueeyes33
i dunno maybe its just me.but arnt we just winning because of the other teams errors.ive noticed this in almost every game ive watched so far.it seems we are riding more on luck than talent.

i have noticed that also, were taking advantage of the errors instead of falling asleep on the baselines like we did last year with jerry.

SSN721
05-04-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Realist
Good hustle and a good attitude creates luck.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Sure we've been lucky, but name me one championship team that hasn't been. We've also been; bunting, hitting home runs, running the bases aggressively, getting solid efforts from our starters and our relievers, and getting a reputation for making the other team crap themselves in the late innings.

Unless the opposing team is completely mentally sound and focused at every single moment of a game, the style of baseball that Ozzie has brought to this team can jump up and bite them on the ass and swing the momentum in our favor at any moment. Remember how a 3 run lead against the Twins or Royals wasn't enough last year? Well, that's us now. A team can ride that reputation for a long way.

I don't know about you guys, but to me this sounds like the 2003 Florida Marlins. They didn't look like the New York Yankees on paper either, but I kinda like how their season turned out.

There truly is something to be said for keeping the opposing team off balance defensively and we're reaping the rewards. Ozzie has me anticipating a "flea flicker" or a "statue of liberty" play. I can't wait for the next Sox at-bat.

:smile:

I completely agree, good teams create their own luck. Yes, we had some bobbles and misplayed balls go our way, but you can also look at times in other games when we didnt get a a called strike for a K and then give up a huge hit the next pitch, or misplay a ball ourselves. I think these type of things even out over the course of the season and we just have been getting them at the right time and take advantage of them. Do I think this is the best team on paper in the AL? Absolutely not. But stats and numbers dont pick who goes to the series. Teams that can create luck like we can can go far. I mean the attitude here is like some of you almost want this team to fail just so it shows how right you are on your opinions of certain players or the way this team performs. I am just ecstatic at the way this team has been playing. Totally new attitude and I feel confident that they can pull out any game despite the odds against them. That attitude is something you cant measure or write down on a stat sheet. I know it sounds corny, and I know this post will get hosed on because I am "failing to recognize the flaws in this team" and "they will never make the series" but I feel you can say that about most any team. I would love to be shown which team in the AL is flawless that we need to stack ourselves up against. If there is a perfect team then I will shut up and only concentrate on the negatives in this team and give up on the season. Otherwise I am going to enjoy the ride. :gulp: :D:

humansushi
05-04-2004, 07:50 AM
When the power comes back? I believe our beloved are leading the AL with longballs at 39, 8 more than the number 2 team. The power is here my friend.

bigdommer
05-04-2004, 08:24 AM
My only complaint is that I am constantly on edge. I was at the game last night, and I paced madly the entire ninth inning. These are the cardiac kids...and I'm lovin' it.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by bigdommer
My only complaint is that I am constantly on edge. I was at the game last night, and I paced madly the entire ninth inning. These are the cardiac kids...and I'm lovin' it.

I agree. It's much better when you settle in on a Sunday afternoon *knowing* the Bears are going to lose. :smile:

soxtalker
05-04-2004, 09:23 AM
How do you think you would look at it if you had the GM responsibilities? Sure, you'd be happy about being in first place. But wouldn't you be constantly evaluating the team, trying to see where the holes are and how you could improve it? Plus, you'd realize that your opponents are doing the same with their teams.

That's the flavor of the discussions that I see on this board. This isn't a perfect team, and there will be some changes.