PDA

View Full Version : How far away is Spidale?

A. Cavatica
05-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Someone asked if the Sox had any leadoff prospects in their system. I couldn't think of any legitimate ones who are anywhere close to ready, but then I took a peek at the Birmingham stats.

Mike Spidale is batting .311 in 61 at-bats with 13 walks, 7 doubles and a triple. Those numbers are a big step up for him. I've read he's a great centerfielder.

Who's seen him play? How far away is he? Could he contribute to our CF/leadoff woes anytime soon?

Chisoxfn
05-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Someone asked if the Sox had any leadoff prospects in their system. I couldn't think of any legitimate ones who are anywhere close to ready, but then I took a peek at the Birmingham stats.

Mike Spidale is batting .311 in 61 at-bats with 13 walks, 7 doubles and a triple. Those numbers are a big step up for him. I've read he's a great centerfielder.

Who's seen him play? How far away is he? Could he contribute to our CF/leadoff woes anytime soon?

Spidale has pretty damn good speed. A few people I know feel he's faster then Ruddy Yan, but I personally disagree. Still, he has great range in center and a good glove out their, although his arm is nowhere near Rowands quality.

Offensively he's still pretty raw, although his numbers in Birmingham have been downright impressive.

I'd say he's two years away, but I still consider Yan a better leadoff candidate, although I think both are at least two years off.

Fisk72
05-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Considering we went to the same high school (granted, I was a few years older), I really hope Spidale gets a shot. I haven't been paying too much attention to the minor league stats, but it definitely sounds like he's been a top performer. Of course, there's a huge difference between AA/AAA and the majors and your productivity most likely won't carry over immediately.

rdivaldi
05-04-2004, 11:29 AM
I have a feeling Spidale will be caught in a numbers game. Reed will likely block any shot he has at being a full time CF.

Randar68
05-04-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
I have a feeling Spidale will be caught in a numbers game. Reed will likely block any shot he has at being a full time CF.

Spidale is a marginal prospect anyways. And whoever said Rowand had a good arm in this thread... don't get me started...

Chisoxfn
05-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Spidale is a marginal prospect anyways. And whoever said Rowand had a good arm in this thread... don't get me started...

Now Now Randar...you know how much we love to debate :smile:

And remember, Rauch is over-rated ;)

maurice
05-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Speaking of CF prospects, Brian Anderson busted out of his early slump yesterday, going 4-for-5 with 2 HRs, 2 runs scored, and 5 RBI!

Randar68
05-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Speaking of CF prospects, Brian Anderson busted out of his early slump yesterday, going 4-for-5 with 2 HRs, 2 runs scored, and 5 RBI!

Yep, his averaged has jumped 40 points in the past week. Had some trouble with soreness in his wrist causing him to miss a few games is what I heard, but he did sit out a few about 2 weeks ago...

Chisoxfn
05-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Yep, his averaged has jumped 40 points in the past week. Had some trouble with soreness in his wrist causing him to miss a few games is what I heard, but he did sit out a few about 2 weeks ago...

Ya, his wrist was bugging him, especially early in the season. They've been giving him the ocassional day off, but he's been responding well and has really been doing better recently. This past game just topped it off and I think we'll see him and the rest of the Hogs playing much closer to expected.

jabrch
05-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi

Reed? He projects as a corner OF once Anderson is ready to play CF, right?

Randar68
05-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Ya, his wrist was bugging him, especially early in the season. They've been giving him the ocassional day off, but he's been responding well and has really been doing better recently. This past game just topped it off and I think we'll see him and the rest of the Hogs playing much closer to expected.

Yep, Sweeney and Nanita had rough starts too, but when they all get clicking, it's going to be an unbelievable offense.

Randar68
05-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Reed? He projects as a corner OF once Anderson is ready to play CF, right?

Reed doesn't hit with enough power nor does he have a cannon-arm, so it's assumed he'd be a long-term LF'er.

All of Sweeney, Anderson and Borchard have much stronger arms (taking nothing away from Reed, but all those guys were pitchers or QBs and capable of throwing 90+ from a mound)

LF - Reed
CF - Anderson
RF - Sweeney or Borchard.

In the long-shot that all these guys one day develop, I could easily see Borchard or more probably Sweeney end up at 1B. Sweeney is a real tall lefty, and he's VERY athletic, could make a VERY good 1B if converted.

Chisoxfn
05-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Reed doesn't hit with enough power nor does he have a cannon-arm, so it's assumed he'd be a long-term LF'er.

All of Sweeney, Anderson and Borchard have much stronger arms (taking nothing away from Reed, but all those guys were pitchers or QBs and capable of throwing 90+ from a mound)

LF - Reed
CF - Anderson
RF - Sweeney or Borchard.

In the long-shot that all these guys one day develop, I could easily see Borchard or more probably Sweeney end up at 1B. Sweeney is a real tall lefty, and he's VERY athletic, could make a VERY good 1B if converted.
Well right now, Borchard is doing nothing to make any of us believe he is ready for the majors and if that, that the Sox should create a position for him. Its real unfortunate, however, the more I have watched Borchard the more I feel his arm is drastically over-rated.

But I agree with you, Reed can't play right. He'd be capable of it and would have great range in right, but he'd make a much better center or left fielder. However, we know that I like Rowand defensively in center, although he's made some poor plays this year.

The guy I hear has the best arm in our entire system (outfield wise) is Thomas Brice and he's hitting up a storm in Kanny. If Nanita keeps struggling, I could easily see Nanita back down to Kanny with Brice moving on up. Plus, Brice is all of a sudden developing some power.

Randar68
05-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Plus, Brice is all of a sudden developing some power.

Have they been throwing him low pitches or did he get that Cricket bat approved for baseball use?

Randar68
05-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Well right now, Borchard is doing nothing to make any of us believe he is ready for the majors and if that, that the Sox should create a position for him.

Well, his average and power numbers aren't there yet this year, but he is taking a lot more walks and striking out less, which is somewhat of a good sign, IMO.

Chisoxfn
05-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Well, his average and power numbers aren't there yet this year, but he is taking a lot more walks and striking out less, which is somewhat of a good sign, IMO.
I agree. I hope Borchard can turn things around. Heck when you look at it, almost all of the highly rated hitting prospects are off to slow starts. The only exceptions are Reed (whose in a sub slump in Charlotte right now...by sub slump I'm being semi sarcastic, he's just not been what we've all come to expect) and Valido whose really been raking (like .333 in Kanny).

My big concern is that his average and power numbers weren't their last year. WIth his raw power and playing in a hitters park, I'd just expect those numbers to be their considering he's bound to get pitches to hit.

As far as Brice, LOL. All I can tell is that he's been mashing the ball. He's a strong guy, but I never saw anyone ever really feel he'd develop much power.

maurice
05-04-2004, 08:19 PM
I'd be happy if Borchard just started making more contact. At his size, it's not like he has to try to hit for power. He can hit the ball 450 feet on accident. I don't have any questions about his arm strength, however.

Even if Borchard busts, the Sox are absolutely loaded with OF prospects and have a couple of pretty good ones at the major league level as well.

MisterB
05-04-2004, 10:33 PM

FunFact™: Borchard's slugging percentage is currently lower than Reed's batting average. :o: