PDA

View Full Version : KC goes bold

ma-gaga
05-03-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm a little surprised I haven't seen this here yet.

According to Tony Pena, the road to the AL Central goes thru KC.

Link (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/8569432.htm?ERIGHTS=8374485183295340035kansascity: :bselig@bselig.com&KRD_RM=2nkkoroopomliiiiiiiiiiiirn|bud|Y)

Last year's American League manager of the year, Tony Peña, stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around his waist.

“We are going to win the Central,” he said.

Um, excuse me? “We are going to win it.”

Is that a guarantee?

“Look into my eyes,” he said. His eyes looked quite serious or at least as serious as eyes get. “We are going to win it,” he said again

MRKARNO
05-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Well it's extremely rare that a team that is 7.5 games out at the end of April ever makes the playoffs. If the road to the AL central championship is paved through KC, then we'll win it because we'll crush their lefty starters.

Hondo
05-03-2004, 09:57 PM
That's cute.
It ain't happening but cute none the less.

DGSWR81
05-03-2004, 09:58 PM
He must be :gulp: a little too much these days.

WinningUgly!
05-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Did Pena mention what year KC would be winning the AL Central? It sure as hell ain't this one.

RedPinStripes
05-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Tony Pena too drinky!

voodoochile
05-03-2004, 10:11 PM
I'm more concerned about the towel situation. Why didn't he wrap it around him BEFORE he came out of the shower.

Does he think the reporters WANT to see his...um.....er... um... well you know... :D:

SoxxoS
05-03-2004, 10:14 PM
I stated in a previous post that K.C. might be the worst team in the A.L. I am dead serious. NOBODY gets by on 4 left handed starters with little or no talent. Their bullpen sucks. And that lineup is solid, but overrated.

Pena isn't just drinking, that is something else. If he wanted to bet me that K.C. would win the central, I would bet everything I own against it.

Patrick134
05-03-2004, 10:17 PM
It's a little early to count anyone out yet. they have a great lineup, but guys like randa hit so well against the sox we tend to overrate them. they don't seem to have the pitching to contend for long, but who knows, they had Lima come out of nowhere last year and get hot.

SoxxoS
05-03-2004, 10:23 PM
The must think Zach Grienke is the second coming of the Messiah.

They need about 3 more Zach Grienke's to step up.

batmanZoSo
05-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I'm more concerned about the towel situation. Why didn't he wrap it around him BEFORE he came out of the shower.

Maybe Bonnie Bernstein's sweet ace was in the locker room. That would be a compelling reason.

Irishsox1
05-03-2004, 10:59 PM
What's Pena gonna say in April? Here's what he should have said: "My starting pitching is a joke...does anyone know Jose Lima's phone number?", "We might score a lot of runs, but the bullpen usually gives it rrrrrright back." and "Manager of the Year is the worst award to get, all it means is that you took a team that everyone though sucked and turned them into a decent one year wonder, see past winners like Jerry Manual, Larry Bowa and Jimy Williams."

eurotrash35
05-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
What's Pena gonna say in April? Here's what he should have said: "My starting pitching is a joke...does anyone know Jose Lima's phone number?", "We might score a lot of runs, but the bullpen usually gives it rrrrrright back." and "Manager of the Year is the worst award to get, all it means is that you took a team that everyone though sucked and turned them into a decent one year wonder, see past winners like Jerry Manual, Larry Bowa and Jimy Williams."

That is quality funny.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-03-2004, 11:22 PM

Well stated. No team ever won a championship in April, but lots of them have lost championships in April. Add Tony's Royals to the list.

The man is simply whistling pass the graveyard. We should all place bets on how much longer we'll have to wait before that stupid columninst from KC starts bellyaching about how small markets can't compete. I give it about a week.

Oh, but I thought the road to the division crown passes through KC! :smile:

elrod
05-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Y'all think Billy Koch sucks. Well Curtis Leskanic, the anchor of the KC bullpen has an ERA of 14.73. MacDougal came back tonight and promptly blew a ninth inning lead. They should try Nate Field as closer. If their bullpen continues to suck this way, the Royals will be in last place.

SEALgep
05-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Pena needs to pass up the Tigers before he guarantees a division.

crector
05-04-2004, 03:48 AM

Lima is now with the Dodgers with a 2-1 W-L record and 6.62 ERA. He's still better than a lot of the KC pitchers and the KC GM really blew it when he refused Lima's request for $1 Mil. for another year with the Royals. Btw, ex-Sox reliever S. Sullivan has an ERA of 5.23. Sure glad KW did not resign him.

SSN721
05-04-2004, 06:46 AM
I've been having a lot of fun going to RoyalBoard.com just to read through their game threads and other message posts. It seems like the end of the world on that site. If you still garner a hatred for the Royals as much as I do and enjoy watching the demise of a division rival I suggest going to the site for some amusement. :cool:

MRKARNO
05-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I've been having a lot of fun going to RoyalBoard.com just to read through their game threads and other message posts. It seems like the end of the world on that site. If you still garner a hatred for the Royals as much as I do and enjoy watching the demise of a division rival I suggest going to the site for some amusement. :cool:

The Royals were a one-year wonder. Expect them to dissassemble midseason this year. Beltran might go to a that has money and prospects in July (which precludes the Yankees).

hose
05-04-2004, 04:00 PM
“Look into my eyes,” he said.

Pena pulled this on Manuel last year.

"Look into my eyes , you are getting sleepy Jerry, sleepy"

Tekijawa
05-04-2004, 04:01 PM
We do have to Show up in KC the last four games of the year... of course with our 11.5 game lead over Minnesota at that time most of our Regulars won't have to take the "Road to the Division title in KC" I'm sure many of their last games will Ironically be against the Royals a week earlier at Comiskey!

RedPinStripes
05-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The Royals were a one-year wonder. Expect them to dissassemble midseason this year. Beltran might go to a that has money and prospects in July (which precludes the Yankees). Please dont say that! Everyone said that about the Twins in 2001 and they turned out to be pretty good.