PDA

View Full Version : Commentators on ESPN 2 make good comments on Sox

SouthSideHitman
05-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Because the Red Sox/Indians game finsihed early, ESPN 2 showed the end of tonight's Sox game. Surprisingly, the commentators had good things to say about our boys. Harold said that he "liked the mix" of players on the team and that they should be competative for years with the current mix (if they bring back Maggs). ESPN even had an interesting story about Shingo's beer shower on Saturday (he had to tell everyone not to mess up his pants for the second game but his translator was out of the country). It's nice to see the Sox get some props on a national stage for once.

BearSox
05-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Its also nice to see them get a win on national tv, World, meet the White Sox!

Nard
05-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Meet the White Sox, who won the game solely due to an error leading to a run and two subsequent run-scoring walks, and almost gave it away in the process.

DSpivack
05-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Nard
Meet the White Sox, who won the game solely due to an error leading to a run and two subsequent run-scoring walks, and almost gave it away in the process.

A win's a win.

TornLabrum
05-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
A win's a win.

They did it that way on a pretty regular basis in '59.

SoxxoS
05-03-2004, 11:21 PM
And Sutcliff, suprisingly, had a lot of good insight into the Sox and baseball in general.

The only "cheap shot" he took was at the beginning of the broadcast...when talking about the lack of recognition of Maggs in the baseball world...is b/c there is "another team in Chicago."

BBaum21
05-03-2004, 11:38 PM
I don't care how ugly the game is as long as we win. 16-9 is a great start to the season!! Let's hope the boys can keep it up. Something has to be done about Koch, though!!

basilesox
05-04-2004, 12:36 AM
I love watching Hawk and Dj do the games, but I would have loved to have heard the game with the ESPN guys to hear their perspectives. Was Berman doing the play by play?

I would love to see the Whitesox play on Sunday Night Baseball. I think Morgan gives incredible insight into the game of baseball.

DSpivack
05-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
They did it that way on a pretty regular basis in '59.

Maybe the air raid sirens can go off again this year! it is 45 years after 59 and 10 years after 94, after all.

nasox
05-04-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
The only "cheap shot" he took was at the beginning of the broadcast...when talking about the lack of recognition of Maggs in the baseball world...is b/c there is "another team in Chicago."

I hate to do it, but :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

So he made one comment. He's really out to get us now!

Nard
05-04-2004, 12:50 AM
Did I see it correctly that another Sox game is gonna be on ESPN?

Sox/Orioles Wednesday night... that's what I believe one of the graphics said, that it was a Wednesday night baseball doubleheader (usually it's only a 10et game).

depy48
05-04-2004, 12:52 AM
just my luck.... i leave Dayton to com home from college, and now the Sox are getting televised nationally...
oh well...i'm thrilled i get to watch them and watch them win

SEALgep
05-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by nasox
I hate to do it, but :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

So he made one comment. He's really out to get us now! That's what he said, he only made one commment. That's not whining, he was giving him credit for being unbiased for the most part.

Nard
05-04-2004, 12:58 AM
He called it a "cheap shot."

Didn't sound like much of a cheap shot to me. It actually sounded like he was sympathizing with Maggs, the club, and its fans, saying that it doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Let's not turn into a bunch of whiners here. :)

SoxxoS
05-04-2004, 01:18 AM
Thanks SEAL. Quote the whole post nasox.

I also liked when Sutcliff described how if a catchers legs are spread apart, that often means breaking ball...didn't know that.

batmanZoSo
05-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Thanks SEAL. Quote the whole post nasox.

I also liked when Sutcliff described how if a catchers legs are spread apart, that often means breaking ball...didn't know that.

Yeah, that prepares them for the wayyyy outside breaking ball in the dirt and just helps them prevent a WP in general.

But they also tend to do that when a pitch out is coming, or if they know the runner's going.

As a hitter you can find out a lot just by looking back out of the corner of your eye.

TDog
05-04-2004, 01:52 AM

I just happy the Sox aren't making the errors leading to runs that put them behind and walking in just enough runs so the ninth inning comeback falls short.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-04-2004, 01:57 AM
Did I see it correctly that another Sox game is gonna be on ESPN?

Sox/Orioles Wednesday night... that's what I believe one of the graphics said, that it was a Wednesday night baseball doubleheader (usually it's only a 10et game).

Yes you saw right brother! We're in the limelight of the 1st game of that "doubleheader" though.

As far as the catcher doing what he does, you can really tell with olivo. Sometimes he sets up and it looks like he's doing the splits.

WhiteSox = Life
05-04-2004, 02:06 AM
From what I've seen of Benito Santiago (at least when he was on the Giants), he prepares for a breaking ball by going to one knee and letting the other one spread out to his right, or to his left, as it may be. He gets down very low; of course, I don't think he did/does this with anybody on base, but it's still fun to imagine or to see.

:smile:

DrCrawdad
05-04-2004, 02:13 AM
And Sutcliff, suprisingly, had a lot of good insight into the Sox and baseball in general.

Interesting to hear that Dick Sutcliffe had something positive to say about the Sox, a team that he said had, "Absolutely no talent..." during spring training. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=30044&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show)

BeerHandle
05-04-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Interesting to hear that Dick Sutcliffe had something positive to say about the Sox, a team that he said had, "Absolutely no talent..." during spring training. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=30044&s=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1&display=show)

You are correct. I was looking for Reynolds comments about the Sox. He absolutely blasted the Sox during Spring training!!!

DC Sox Fan
05-04-2004, 09:40 AM
I'd rather have no expectations going in, and have them keep ignoring us the whole year then have a whole lot of hype to live up to!

sas1974
05-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
As a hitter you can find out a lot just by looking back out of the corner of your eye.

As a hitter, that's also a good way to get a fastball zipped under your chin if they catch you doing that on a regular basis.

pearso66
05-04-2004, 12:41 PM
And those of you who missed it, Sutcliffe did take a stab at Frank Thomas. Saying he doesn't deserve to be in the hall. Granted it is his oppinion, but to me it kind of sounded like he went out of his way to mention that.

BigFrankFan
05-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Telling us they should remain competitive for years to come isn't saying much. Especially after he gave the Twins an A+ & the SOX a B when the SOX had a larger run differential than the Twins. Of course thanks to Crotch that will be hard to maintain.

The fact is the SOX have been a competitive ball club all through the 90's & this decade. That's a sign the organization does what it can.
That's also why I don't want to pay Maggs 70/5 unless he can win an MVP this year (or at least be on pace by the all-star break).

What will happen in 2005 has a lot of what if scenarios:
1) What's Boston going to do? Nixon, Pedro, & Nomar are all FA's.
2) What are the Yanks going to do (odds are Beltran, & Pedro)
3) What's E-LO, Garland, & Schow going to cost? Getting these 3 back is a LOT more important than retaining Maggs.
4) What other options will the SOX have to buy/groom a new RF?

Reed belongs on this team. Either he's going to succeed or he's going to fail. There is not much more to gain after this year in AAA.

TheRockinMT
05-04-2004, 04:36 PM

Your right. I watched the ESPN2 game last night and Sutcliffe was complimentary of the Sox. I think he even said something about "loving this Sox team." On BBTN though the boys sytarted in on Koch and thought Ozzie would tell Kenny to get a relief pitcher even if he had to shop at K-Mart.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2004, 09:44 PM
The Rockin MT says: "On BBTN though the boys sytarted in on Koch and thought Ozzie would tell Kenny to get a relief pitcher even if he had to shop at K-Mart."

Don't the White Sox 'normally' shop a K-Mart? They've been doing it since Bill Veeck in the 70's.

Lip