PDA

View Full Version : Serious Thread...Why so many solo shots?


jlh0023
05-03-2004, 09:34 PM
I was just messin around earlier. But seriously, why does it seem that every time the Sox (AL home run leader) hit a shot, nobody's on base. Out of the 37 homers this season 25 have come with the bases empty. Is something going wrong, or is it just bad luck?

voodoochile
05-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Too many grinders not enough studs...

Railsplitter
05-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023
I was just messin around earlier. But seriously, why does it seem that every time the Sox (AL home run leader) hit a shot, nobody's on base. Out of the 37 homers this season 25 have come with the bases empty. Is something going wrong, or is it just bad luck?

Good question. Mags had one die on the track tonight with the bases loaded. It happens. For the first six innings tonight, the Sox were getting hits with two out and the bases empty, but leaving men who had walked.

A. Cavatica
05-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Business as usual for this crew. Apart from Frank and Magglio, we have nobody who's particularly good at getting on base.

ChiSox7
05-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Business as usual for this crew. Apart from Frank and Magglio, we have nobody who's particularly good at getting on base.

I wouldn't put Maggs anywhere near that group. Though he had two walks today, he has only hit .213 since the KC home series, which is awful. His OBP has never been all that great, especially early. He is really hurting the offense right there in the center right now.

But as always, when it gets warm, he'll decide that he wants to hit and get to .300.

batmanZoSo
05-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
I wouldn't put Maggs anywhere near that group. Though he had two walks today, he has only hit .213 since the KC home series, which is awful. His OBP has never been all that great, especially early. He is really hurting the offense right there in the center right now.

But as always, when it gets warm, he'll decide that he wants to hit and get to .300.

Magglio is not hurting us like you say. I've done my share of criticizing his free swinging, but he keeps hitting home runs. He's not hurting us that much. Lee is the biggest culprit there. Recently on my fantasy lineup, I checked the latest week stats and for Maggs it was something like .220 2hr 5rbi. If this is a slump, I'll take it.

SoxFan76
05-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Here's my theory for all the solo shots:

When a man is on first, your job as a hitter is to get them to third or bunt them over. So righties are trying to hit opposite field, and it is not easy to hit homers opposite field. Since the Sox don't have any big bopping lefties, it's still hard for the 2 run bomb.

If a guy is on second, again your job is to hit the ball to right field. And once again, with all the big right hand bats, it's harder to hit homers.

Third base 2 outs, no excuse there. Your basically just trying to hit the ball out of the infield. Less than 2 outs, again no excuse, all you need is a fly ball.

I think the biggest reason there are so many solo shots is that Willie, Timo, and Gload are the left handers. When Jose comes back, he will be the only left handed power hitter.

That's my opinion, feel free to express yours.

Realist
05-04-2004, 02:33 AM
With no one on base, the players are just trying to make contact and drive the ball hard. This is how Frank hit all those home runs when he was hitting for high average. The home runs become accidents.

With men on base, the players start to smell the gun powder from the fireworks and the slight overeagerness throws off their swing just enough to produce pop ups and ground outs if they're lucky and strike outs if they're not.

Just a guess.

MiamiSpartan
05-04-2004, 09:14 AM
...and it seemed like everytime I looked up at last night's game, we had either 2 or 3 men on base, and kept stranding them there! :angry:

Frater Perdurabo
05-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
Here's my theory for all the solo shots:

When a man is on first, your job as a hitter is to get them to third or bunt them over. So righties are trying to hit opposite field, and it is not easy to hit homers opposite field. Since the Sox don't have any big bopping lefties, it's still hard for the 2 run bomb.

If a guy is on second, again your job is to hit the ball to right field. And once again, with all the big right hand bats, it's harder to hit homers.

Third base 2 outs, no excuse there. Your basically just trying to hit the ball out of the infield. Less than 2 outs, again no excuse, all you need is a fly ball.

I think the biggest reason there are so many solo shots is that Willie, Timo, and Gload are the left handers. When Jose comes back, he will be the only left handed power hitter.

That's my opinion, feel free to express yours.

Good analysis.

I hope Reed continues to produce at is promoted to the majors sometime soon to replace Rowand. Reed should provide some more left-handed pop and OBP at the top or the bottom of the lineup.

pjthesox13
05-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by MiamiSpartan
...and it seemed like everytime I looked up at last night's game, we had either 2 or 3 men on base, and kept stranding them there! :angry:

It does suck that when we have two guys in scoring position and our big hitters draw a walk and then leave them there with the next person at bat. BUT at least we won the game.