PDA

View Full Version : Looking Back at 1994


RKMeibalane
05-03-2004, 06:58 PM
I've decided to start a new tradition here at WSI. It has been ten years since the 1994 season, which ended before it even began as a result of the strike. Nevertheless, I think it's necessary that we look back at the '94 season, as the 2004 Sox continue their own march toward the postseason.


Ten years ago today... (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B05030CHA1994.htm)

VeeckAsInWreck
05-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Wow! that's nice to see. Especially since I was working at the park 10 years ago during that season. I lost some good minimum wage that year! :(:

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I've decided to start a new tradition here at WSI. It has been ten years since the 1994 season, which ended before it even began as a result of the strike. Nevertheless, I think it's necessary that we look back at the '94 season, as the 2004 Sox continue their own march toward the postseason.


Ten years ago today... (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B05030CHA1994.htm)

anyone notice that the milkman herbert perry made his mlb debut that game?

vegyrex
05-03-2004, 09:19 PM
The '94 team was the best Sox team I ever saw play. Jason, Wilson, and Alex were on a roll. Julio Franco had over 90 RBI's by August, and Frank was ready to reach new heights.......



Then that blasted strike. :angry:




Thank you Mr. Reinsdork. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Lip Man 1
05-03-2004, 09:59 PM
But remember good ole Uncle Jerry told Bob Sirott he was just following along with the mandate from Bud Selig! (LOL,LOL)

Here's the thing I remember most from 1994. For the last time the Sox had five quality guys in the starting rotation. There were no weak links and every night they had a chance to win.

Unlike 1996, 2000, 2001 and 2003.

Lip

SoxFan76
05-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Jim Thome at third, I wonder what it would be like if you put him there today?!?

Brian26
05-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For the last time the Sox had five quality guys in the starting rotation. There were no weak links and every night they had a chance to win.


I'm trying to recall our starting five from '94-

1. Black Jack
2. Alex
3. Wilson
4. Bere
5. ???

Brain cramp...who did we have?

A. Cavatica
05-03-2004, 11:34 PM
(without checking) Was it Baldwin?

batmanZoSo
05-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Frank was .353 38 101. The best season I've ever seen by a right hander. He was just sublime at the plate.
Julio was .319 20 98.
Darrin Jackson was hitting .312 and playing gold glove right.
Ventura had 18 homers and 78 rbi.


Our pitching was a little disappointing, especially the bullpen. Roberto had an era in the high 4's wasn't dominant at the time. The rest of the bullpen was playing average.

McDowell was like 10-8 or something. Alvarez was 12-8. All were doing the job, but it wasn't anything like 93 boy. That front four was awesome. Man, how we don't have at least one title from those two years just makes me cry. There's no way the blue jays should've beaten us. Only we could tie a series on the road with home field to finish it and not even force a game 7. That's the White Sox for you. We find a way to lose.

batmanZoSo
05-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Scott Sanderson was the 5th starter

A. Cavatica
05-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Brain cramp...who did we have?

Apparently, it was Scott Sanderson. Wow. I don't remember him pitching for us at all.

batmanZoSo
05-03-2004, 11:42 PM
I just checked out reference and he was 8-4 somehow with a 5.09. He had the best winning percentage except for Bere who was 12-2. Remember that guy? lol

Brian26
05-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Scott Sanderson was the 5th starter

Good call...I was trying to remember if we still had Belcher, but I think we lost him after the '93 season.

Huisj
05-04-2004, 01:00 AM
sheesh, thomas hit his 9th homer in that game. if that season would have been a full season, that season could have gone down in history as one of the biggest in mlb history for him. he was out of his mind that year

beckett21
05-04-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Scott Sanderson was the 5th starter

Really?? I'm not doubting it, I just don't remember that at all.

I would have said Kirk McCaskill, but apparently that is wrong. The 'ol memory ain't what it used to be!

batmanZoSo
05-04-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
Really?? I'm not doubting it, I just don't remember that at all.

I would have said Kirk McCaskill, but apparently that is wrong. The 'ol memory ain't what it used to be!


Nope on McCaskill.

Other than the big four, plus Sanderson...SCOTT RUFFCORN is the only other one listed as having started any games (2). That's a blast from the past. Or bust I should say.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-04-2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
sheesh, thomas hit his 9th homer in that game. if that season would have been a full season, that season could have gone down in history as one of the biggest in mlb history for him. he was out of his mind that year


Frank was on his way to having a realistic shot at the triple crown. No doubt as to why we was the MVP of that shortened season.

I don't remember who or what did it, but in those days they had computer simulations done, and most of them had the White Sox as the Champs! :(:

I'm just glad that there isn't a 1994 A.L. Central champs banner at the cell. Because it doesn't count.

SpartanSoxFan
05-04-2004, 02:55 AM
Ah...what a nice trip down memory lane...

Hopefully we can keep things up this year and do that '94 team justice!!!!

vegyrex
05-04-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck


I don't remember who or what did it, but in those days they had computer simulations done, and most of them had the White Sox as the Champs! :(:



Stats inc. had the teams who were in first place when the strike started play in virtual play offs. The Sox and Braves faced each other in the virtual WS and the SOX WON!!!!!! :D:

What might have been. What pity. :(:

bigdommer
05-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Vintage Thomas boxscore:

1 for 1, 3 runs, 3 RBI's, 4 Walks, with a 3-run homerun

He used to be so scary.

Dan H
05-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by bigdommer
Vintage Thomas boxscore:

1 for 1, 3 runs, 3 RBI's, 4 Walks, with a 3-run homerun

He used to be so scary.

He was scary. I was at a game when the Sox played Baltimore and Mike Mussina. Thomas got a single to left, a double to center, and a homer to right. The Sox won 3-0 and looked like champions. The 1994 Central Division Crown counts for nothing. Too bad a great team went to waste.

Deadguy
05-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by bigdommer
Vintage Thomas boxscore:

1 for 1, 3 runs, 3 RBI's, 4 Walks, with a 3-run homerun

He used to be so scary.

I peaked at the box score the next day, he was 1 for 2 with 3 walks. That's Bonds-tastic.

Back then I didn't really appreciate his on base ability much, just his triple crown numbers, which were impressive even ignoring all those walks. I just thought the walks helped keep his Batting Average up, since he was swinging at bad pitches and throwing away at bats.