PDA

View Full Version : Mike Morse (AA Shortstop)

rdivaldi
05-03-2004, 06:30 PM
I don't know if any of you have been paying attention, but Mike Morse hit his seventh home run today for Birmingham, is batting a little under .330, and is also only 22 years old.

After toiling away in the minors for the past 4 years (started when he was 18) it looks like he's starting to blossom. With this kid and Valido impressing in A ball we might be in good shape in the middle infield for a pretty long time.

Randar68
05-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
I don't know if any of you have been paying attention, but Mike Morse hit his seventh home run today for Birmingham, is batting a little under .330, and is also only 22 years old.

After toiling away in the minors for the past 4 years (started when he was 18) it looks like he's starting to blossom. With this kid and Valido impressing in A ball we might be in good shape in the middle infield for a pretty long time.

While Andy Gonzalez is struggling a little, he was doing well before his early promotion to Winston-Salem.

Valido/Gonzalez/Morse are all good prospects. Morse hasn't hit for squat in his minor league career until now. Hope he can keep it up.

Big kid too, very athletic, but not 100% sure in my mind he can stay at SS.

rdivaldi
05-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
While Andy Gonzalez is struggling a little, he was doing well before his early promotion to Winston-Salem.

Valido/Gonzalez/Morse are all good prospects. Morse hasn't hit for squat in his minor league career until now. Hope he can keep it up.

Sometimes kids just get it and start hitting the crap out of the ball. I remember some scrawny little Venezuelan kid who hit under .240 in his second year of A ball in 1995...

:smile:

Anyway, Morse might be a bit tall for a shortstop, but his defense has been pretty good (3 errors in 20 games). With Crede, we can't make him a 3rd baseman, a move to first is not out of the question though.

I'm not a believer in Gonzalez, he's older than Morse and I haven't seen much from him at the plate above rookie ball. Valido appears to be a much better prospect.

Daver
05-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I saw some tape on him at short from last season.

Brutal.

If he continues to develop his bat I think he is destined for 1B.

NonetheLoaiza
05-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Hey, this might be off topic a little for this thread, but are there any legitimate lead off type hitters in the organization? any speed guys? im just curious.

hold2dibber
05-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I saw some tape on him at short from last season.

Brutal.

If he continues to develop his bat I think he is destined for 1B.

Why 1B? What skills does he lack in terms of being able to field SS? I'm trying to figure out if there is any chance that he might be well-suited for 2B - as a good hitter who can play SS or 2B is more valuable and rare than a 1B who can hit.

Daver
05-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Why 1B? What skills does he lack in terms of being able to field SS? I'm trying to figure out if there is any chance that he might be well-suited for 2B - as a good hitter who can play SS or 2B is more valuable and rare than a 1B who can hit.

He's 6'7" tall,and would make a good target at first.

His lack of range would make him as bad at second as he is at SS.

rdivaldi
05-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by NonetheLoaiza
Hey, this might be off topic a little for this thread, but are there any legitimate lead off type hitters in the organization? any speed guys? im just curious.

Ruddy Yan (2B in AA) can flat out fly around the bases. But his hitting is rather suspect.

rdivaldi
05-03-2004, 06:59 PM
He's 6'7" tall,and would make a good target at first.

His lack of range would make him as bad at second as he is at SS.

I thought he was 6'5"?

Anyway I don't think his range is that bad, he's made some improvements this year. I think he needed to grow into his body, he did start pro-ball at 18 after all.

maurice
05-03-2004, 07:01 PM
IIRC, Gonzalez has been playing a lot of 3B (and even some 2B) this year. It seems like the organization may have decided that Lopez, Morse, and Valido are the better SS prospects.

I hear that Morse was working out with some major leaguers this past offseason in a Hoops-the-Gym-type setting. Hopefully that helped him turn the corner with his bat.

Daver
05-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
I thought he was 6'5"?

Anyway I don't think his range is that bad, he's made some improvements this year. I think he needed to grow into his body, he did start pro-ball at 18 after all.

I have only seen about two games worth of tape on him from Winston Salem last year,in both he was terrible,of course he couldn't hit a lick either.

I know he started out of HS,but on tape he looks plain awkward trying to move from side to side.

rdivaldi
05-03-2004, 07:04 PM
I have only seen about two games worth of tape on him from Winston Salem last year,in both he was terrible,of course he couldn't hit a lick either.

I know he started out of HS,but on tape he looks plain awkward trying to move from side to side.

Yeah, being as tall as he is does make lateral movement difficult. But you never know, perhaps as he matures he'll keep gaining coordination. I am just thrilled with his hitting. 7 dingers in a pitchers league is pretty awesome.

Randar68
05-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by maurice
IIRC, Gonzalez has been playing a lot of 3B (and even some 2B) this year. It seems like the organization may have decided that Lopez, Morse, and Valido are the better SS prospects.

I hear that Morse was working out with some major leaguers this past offseason in a Hoops-the-Gym-type setting. Hopefully that helped him turn the corner with his bat.

Well, he was still playing SS in Kannapolis regularly ahead of Valido who had moved to 2B to accomodate for the time being.

Now at Winston-Salem, he's been in a platoon of sorts, but still playing a lot of SS.

He's got a ton more range (with a rocket-arm) and projectability defensively at SS than Morse does for sure. Gonzalez isn't going to hit (power-wise) enough to be a 3B, either.

maurice
05-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Morse was 2-for-4 today with a 3B, another HR, 2 runs scored, and 2 RBI. Spidale also is staying hot for the Barons.